Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Former Cardiff City star Jobi McAnuff posts heartbreaking

Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:30 am

Former Cardiff City star Jobi McAnuff posts heartbreaking tribute to his Leyton Orient boss Justin Edinburgh

Monday 10th June 2019

Leyton Orient skipper Jobi McAnuff has paid tribute to Justin Edinburgh after the manager's tragic death yesterday .

Tributes poured in from around the football world on Saturday when Orient announced that the 49-year-old had passed away following a cardiac arrest.

Gary Lineker and Lord Alan Sugar expressed their condolences, with his former clubs Tottenham and Newport County also adding their sympathies.

McAnuff tweeted last night: "Totally and utterly devastated. You were so much more than a manager to me. Just doesn’t feel real coming so soon after sharing some of my happiest moments with you. My thoughts, love and prayers go to the family at this truly terrible time. R.I.P Justin."

And on Sunday, the former Cardiff City star wrote an emotional post to his manager, with whom he had just achieved promotion back to League Two.

He wrote: "You instilled a winning mentality in us, demanded nothing less than 100% effort every day and above all else, always emphasised the importance of the team and how far that could take us.

Jobi McAnuff of Leyton Orient celebrates with Justin Edinburgh after they achieved promotion
"You always did it with a smile on your face and with huge respect for others.

"I am so grateful that I got to share some truly amazing moments with you and know how much winning the league with this club meant to you.

"It was a privilege and an honour to serve as your captain and those happy memories will live with me forever.

"Despite the success we had on the pitch, I will remember you even more fondly for the times we shared off of it, you were always at the the centre of all the jokes and the banter with the boys and staff, we had so many laughs and good times, that's the side of you I'll definitely miss the most.

"You created an environment that the players loved being a part of and along with your wife Kerri made a great effort in extending that to our families which really helped to build the spirit we have at the club today.

"Being crowned champions is of course a fantastic achievement and I will always be thankful to you for that but you've done way more than that, you helped to rebuild what was a broken club and been the driving force behind returning it to where it belongs.

"That will be your legacy here and as difficult as it will be, it's now up to us to carry that on and make sure all of that hard work is continued and built upon.

"Gone way too soon and although you'll be missed immensely, your spirit and memory will live on forever, you will NEVER be forgotten.

"R.I.P Gaffer xxx"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Former Cardiff City star Jobi McAnuff posts heartbreakin

Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:39 am

This was touching and Edinburgh seems to have left his mark on the clubs he managed

I recall Jobi McAnuff and his time here with us some years ago. A more than decent player we wanted to keep but I am a little surprised he is still only 27 years of age, as it seems so long ago!

Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:38 am

He can't be 27. That's the same age as me. And I was about 8 when he played for us :lol:

Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:18 pm

bluebird7291 wrote:He can't be 27. That's the same age as me. And I was about 8 when he played for us :lol:

You are right as he left around 2005 which would have made him 13! 37 is probably correct.

Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:33 pm

27 ?
must be counting in Wilfried Bony years

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:08 pm

bluebird7291 wrote:He can't be 27. That's the same age as me. And I was about 8 when he played for us :lol:

Yes, it seems the report was wrong; a quick check reveals he is 37 and not 27 :thumbright:

He joined us on 12th August 2004 for a fee of £250,000 and was a virtual ever-present in his first year at the club. He made his debut against Ipswich Town, scoring his first goal against his former side West Ham United during a 4–1 win.

He played 48 games and scored 3 goals and picked up numerous player of the month awards

With Cardiff in financial difficulty, McAnuff left the club at the end of the 2004–05 season to join Crystal Palace for a fee of around £600,000

Couldn't remember when he played for us but I remember him being a fans favourite :ayatollah: