Liverpool legend urges Jurgen Klopp to make a move for in-de

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:18 pm

Liverpool legend urges Jurgen Klopp to make a move for in-demand Cardiff City star

By Tom Coleman

Cardiff City Summer Transfers Tuesday 11th June 2019

Liverpool legend Steve Nicol has urged boss Jurgen Klopp to make a move for Cardiff City goalkeeper Neil Etheridge this summer.

Nicol, who racked up nearly 350 appearances for the Reds, believes current number two Simon Mignolet "has to go" in this window, and that his former club should look no further than the Welsh capital for a replacement.

Mignolet has been heavily-tipped to move on this summer, while Loris Karius is also set for another season at Turkish giants Besiktas, leaving Klopp potentially in the market for an understudy to first choice goalkeeper Alisson Becker.

Cardiff City goalkeeper Neil Etheridge
Sources close to Etheridge have told WalesOnline the Reds made an informal enquiry over his availability this summer, but other reports on Merseyside now suggest he isn't the man they want.

However, Nicol has since urged his former club to take a look at the in-demand Cardiff gloveman, adding that he would fit the bill perfectly at Anfield.

"I think this would be a good signing," he told ESPN FC.

“I think the 69 goals he [Etheridge] let in, he probably had no chance with 55 of them, let’s be honest.

“Mignolet has to go, he has to go and play. You need a back-up who is going to be happy to be there but who is of a certain level that whenever something may happen to Alisson, you’re going to put Etheridge in and he’s going to do a great job.

Steve Nicol believes Neil Etheridge would be a great signing for Liverpool (Image: Daily Record)
“He’s going to be professional. He’s not going to be pulling off spectacular saves but you know what you’re getting. He’s decent with his feet, he does all the basics right.

“I think this is a good signing. He’s 29 years old, he’s been around, he knows what it’s like to be playing at the lower level so his feet will be firmly on the ground.

“He’ll look at this as, ‘This solidifies my family’s future. If I come to Liverpool for five years, be professional, when I’m called upon do a professional job…’

“I think this is a great move for him and I think this is a good move for Liverpool as well. You know what you’re getting. You’re not panicking whenever something happens to your No. 1.”

Etheridge has already attracted a failed bid from Aston Villa this summer, and it remains to be seen if Dean Smith's side will return with a new offer before the close of the window, with reports in other outlets suggesting they have already moved on to other targets.

The Sun have already claimed that they could even be willing to launch an audacious £20m bid for Stoke City's Jack Butland - a move that would surely end any potential interest in Etheridge, who's also attracted the interest of Fulham and West Ham United.
Attachments
1_JS127757273.jpg
1_JS127757273.jpg (33.23 KiB) Viewed 2390 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Liverpool legend urges Jurgen Klopp to make a move for i

Postby LaBamba » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:25 pm

Steve seems to be confused... will pull off spectacular saves but is not good with his feet.
LaBamba

Re: Liverpool legend urges Jurgen Klopp to make a move for i

Postby Bluebird Warrior » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:27 pm

LaBamba wrote:Steve seems to be confused... will pull off spectacular saves but is not good with his feet.

Agreed, i dont see what evidence they've based that off :?
Bluebird Warrior

Return to General Chat