Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

CONFIRMED: Barry Town in Europa League Cup

Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:57 pm

CONFIRMED: Barry Town We will play Clifton Ville fc in the preliminary round of the Europa League.

The first leg will be held at Leckwith Stadium on Thursday 27th June, while the second leg will be on Thursday 4th July likely at Solitude, Belfast.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: CONFIRMED: Barry Town in Europa League Cup

Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:24 pm

Why isn't the home game being played at the legendary Jenner Park, loved that ground, was a stones throw from the house I grew up in on Barry Road just down from the old petrol station which is now a car lot.

Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:33 pm

Wolfpac wrote:Why isn't the home game being played at the legendary Jenner Park, loved that ground, was a stones throw from the house I grew up in on Barry Road just down from the old petrol station which is now a car lot.

Unfortunately they discovered at the last moment that the pitch- not the ground itself- failed the Uefa test. A real shame as they have put in a tremendous amount of time and effort into making sure everything complied with the strict regulations.

Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:03 pm

JJ1927 wrote:
Wolfpac wrote:Why isn't the home game being played at the legendary Jenner Park, loved that ground, was a stones throw from the house I grew up in on Barry Road just down from the old petrol station which is now a car lot.

Unfortunately they discovered at the last moment that the pitch- not the ground itself- failed the Uefa test. A real shame as they have put in a tremendous amount of time and effort into making sure everything complied with the strict regulations.

what is the issue with the pitch ?

Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:20 pm

dogfound wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:

Its a 3g or 4g pitch which is compliant with UEFA rules but apparently they did some tests and found the ball was rolling too far. Bit unfair really as no tests are done on other grass pitches, some of which can be bone dry at this time of the year in hotter countries and the ball would roll twice as far. But I suppose that's the danger of not having a fully natural pitch.

Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:40 pm

Manager Gavin Chesterfield on today's draw:

“It’s fantastic for us to be here in the first place.

"I’ve gone on record and said how proud I am of what the lads and the staff have done this year and to be part of this draw is a really humbling experience.

"It’s fantastic for people like our secretary David Cole, who has been there, seen there and done it over many years and never thought he’d see the day when our team name was drawn out at UEFA headquarters once again... it’s fantastic how football can go in circles sometimes.

"The draw itself is obviously a tough one; there’s not going to be many easy teams in this competition.

"We’re up against Cliftonville, who have a very strong heritage and are a tough team from Northern Ireland that I think have qualified eight times in the last ten years, so they’ve got a proud European tradition.

"But it’s a draw we look forward to; travel won’t be too much of a problem, and it’s a real opportunity for us to go and represent our country and our club with pride.

"I’m sure we’ll take a lot of supporters with us, who will no doubt make a racket as well.

"A fantastic tie, two really good clubs, so it’s one to look forward to".

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:08 pm

I’ll pop along for that one

Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:25 pm

JJ1927 wrote:
dogfound wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:

Its a 3g or 4g pitch which is compliant with UEFA rules but apparently they did some tests and found the ball was rolling too far. Bit unfair really as no tests are done on other grass pitches, some of which can be bone dry at this time of the year in hotter countries and the ball would roll twice as far. But I suppose that's the danger of not having a fully natural pitch.

lots of clubs in Wales have put these pitches down..but think we will see more and more problems with them..
the Scottish PFA have handed the SPFl a petition signed by every Scottish premier player asking to ban the use of them. and
Callum Patterson refused to play for his country on one..