Wales back door qualification - help please!

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby JJ1927 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:43 pm

I have just read the criteria for qualifying through the play offs. Very, very complicate. Apparently if a team in the second tier league of nations play offs - Denmark, Sweden, Ukraine and Bosnia- qualify as of right for the Euros- the next ranked team who haven't qualified take their place. In front of us are only Russia and Austria. As the play offs need 4 teams by my reckoning if any of the three of the ix teams in front of us qualify as of right we get a play off spot. Ukraine, Sweden, Russia and Austria are looking favourites to qualify in their group, with Denmark a maybe. Only Bosnia look like they are out of it. By this reckoning we must have at least a 50/50 chance of a play off spot. In fact if only Bosnia fail to qualify we will have a home tie. Have I got this wrong? Help please.
JJ1927

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Wales back door qualification - help please!

Postby dogfound » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:55 pm

JJ1927 wrote:I have just read the criteria for qualifying through the play offs. Very, very complicate. Apparently if a team in the second tier league of nations play offs - Denmark, Sweden, Ukraine and Bosnia- qualify as of right for the Euros- the next ranked team who haven't qualified take their place. In front of us are only Russia and Austria. As the play offs need 4 teams by my reckoning if any of the three of the ix teams in front of us qualify as of right we get a play off spot. Ukraine, Sweden, Russia and Austria are looking favourites to qualify in their group, with Denmark a maybe. Only Bosnia look like they are out of it. By this reckoning we must have at least a 50/50 chance of a play off spot. In fact if only Bosnia fail to qualify we will have a home tie. Have I got this wrong? Help please.

there will be play off spots up for grabs in league A...
dogfound

Postby luxy1970 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:27 pm

Walesonline reporting that as the groups stand Wales will have a play off place
luxy1970

Postby JJ1927 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:44 pm

luxy1970 wrote:Walesonline reporting that as the groups stand Wales will have a play off place
Yes, thats the way i see it.
JJ1927

Postby epping blue » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:47 pm

My shot at the play off groups. I don't think it will be far away.

Group D

Georgia
North Macedonia
Kosovo
Belarus

Group C

Scotland
Norway
Serbia
Bulgaria

Group B

Bosnia
Wales
Slovakia / NI
ROI

Group A

Iceland
NI / Hungary
Romania
Greece

We would play home to Slovakia or the ROI in the semi ( single leg ) The final is pre drawn so we would play Bosnia or ROI or possibly NI home or away but with only 2 days notice. Worst still the games aren't until April and by then reasonable flights and accommodation will have been taken.
epping blue

Postby JJ1927 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:58 pm

epping blue wrote:My shot at the play off groups. I don't think it will be far away.

Group D

Georgia
North Macedonia
Kosovo
Belarus

Group C

Scotland
Norway
Serbia
Bulgaria

Group B

Bosnia
Wales
Slovakia / NI
ROI

Group A

Iceland
NI / Hungary
Romania
Greece

We would play home to Slovakia or the ROI in the semi ( single leg ) The final is pre drawn so we would play Bosnia or ROI or possibly NI home or away but with only 2 days notice. Worst still the games aren't until April and by then reasonable flights and accommodation will have been taken.
You have confirmed the way i thought it all panned out as i was predicting finishing in that second place if we didn't qualify automatically. I didnt realise there was so little notice of the next game if we won.
JJ1927

Postby epping blue » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:05 pm

JJ1927 wrote:
epping blue wrote:My shot at the play off groups. I don't think it will be far away.

Group D

Georgia
North Macedonia
Kosovo
Belarus

Group C

Scotland
Norway
Serbia
Bulgaria

Group B

Bosnia
Wales
Slovakia / NI
ROI

Group A

Iceland
NI / Hungary
Romania
Greece

You have confirmed the way i thought it all panned out as i was predicting finishing in that second place if we didn't qualify automatically. I didnt realise there was so little notice of the next game if we won.

Finishing second in the group will give us automatic qualification. I'm still hopeful we get out act together and achieve that so we can get on and plan in December. For all our bad start the result that's giving us the greatest issue was Hungary beating Croatia. We've still got a good chance of finishing level with Hungary or Slovakia in second which would then go on head to head so there's still hope.
epping blue

Postby Dobbin » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:02 pm

Comedy gold this thread - fair play :lol:
Dobbin

Postby dogfound » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:35 pm

Dobbin wrote:Comedy gold this thread - fair play :lol:

go on, explain where everyone is going so hilariously wrong...
dogfound

Postby valleymodeller » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:37 pm

Is it me? I thought there were to be no place offs this time around in the Euro qualifying. First two from each group, then any extra places made up by well placed teams in the Nations League? But then I only watch Wales on Tv but i'm sure the commentator said that last Sunday.
valleymodeller

Postby dogfound » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:46 pm

valleymodeller wrote:Is it me? I thought there were to be no place offs this time around in the Euro qualifying. First two from each group, then any extra places made up by well placed teams in the Nations League? But then I only watch Wales on Tv but i'm sure the commentator said that last Sunday.

the play offs are for what you've called well placed teams in the Nations League....there will be one place in the Euros for each of the four Nations Leagues A,B,C and D..there will be PLAY OFFS { 2 semis and a final } to determine which of the 4 mini lge winners progress to the tournament...hope that helps
dogfound

Postby JJ1927 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:50 pm

epping blue wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:

Group D

Georgia
North Macedonia
Kosovo
Belarus

Group C

Scotland
Norway
Serbia
Bulgaria

Group B

Bosnia
Wales
Slovakia / NI
ROI

Group A

Iceland
NI / Hungary
Romania
Greece

Finishing second in the group will give us automatic qualification. I'm still hopeful we get out act together and achieve that so we can get on and plan in December. For all our bad start the result that's giving us the greatest issue was Hungary beating Croatia. We've still got a good chance of finishing level with Hungary or Slovakia in second which would then go on head to head so there's still hope.
JJ1927

Postby JJ1927 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:54 pm

epping blue wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:

Group D

Georgia
North Macedonia
Kosovo
Belarus

Group C

Scotland
Norway
Serbia
Bulgaria

Group B

Bosnia
Wales
Slovakia / NI
ROI

Group A

Iceland
NI / Hungary
Romania
Greece

Agree entirely with your comment about Hungary beating Croatia. Lot of people on this forum thought it was a good result for us whereas I was hoping that Croatia would beat Hungary away leaving it more likely to be a fight between us and Slovakia who we have already beaten.
JJ1927

Postby dogfound » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:40 pm

dogfound wrote:
Dobbin wrote:Comedy gold this thread - fair play :lol:

go on, explain where everyone is going so hilariously wrong...

???????????
dogfound

Postby Isawgarystevensscoreagoal » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:49 pm

I assumed the thread was going to have something to do with sheep
Isawgarystevensscoreagoal

Return to General Chat