A forum for all things Cardiff City

UPDATED: “ MANSLAUGHTER ARREST OVER EMILIANO SALA DEATH "

Postby worcester_ccfc » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:37 pm

UPDATED:

Pilot released without charge.

Emiliano Sala: North Yorkshire man arrested on suspicion of manslaughter

By Danyal Hussain

Daily Mail 20 Jun 2019,

Police arrest pilot, 64, on suspicion of manslaughter over death of Cardiff City footballer Emiliano Sala in crashed plane that he was meant to be flying

A British pilot has been arrested over the deaths of Argentinian footballer Emiliano Sala and the friend he drafted in at the 11th hour to fly the plane that plunged into the English Channel.

Dorset Police have held David Henderson, 64, from York, on suspicion of manslaughter by an unlawful act following the doomed flight from Nantes to Cardiff on January 21 this year.

The plane containing Mr Sala's body was found on February 4 - 220ft down on the seabed off Alderney - but the pilot David Ibbotson has never been located.

Mr Henderson had been asked by British football 'super agent' Willie McKay to take Sala, 28, to Wales after he completed his £15million transfer to the Premier League.

But he then drafted in Mr Ibbotson, a boiler engineer and part-time pilot from Lincolnshire who was not qualified to carry paying passengers and should not have been flying at night or in bad weather.

Mr Henderson had been feared dead after the flight plan for the doomed plane named him as the pilot. He was then forced to post a Facebook message the next day stating that rumours of his death were untrue and his friend had taken the controls instead.

Detective Inspector Simon Huxter, of Dorset Police, the force leading the investigation because it is where Mr Sala's body was brought ashore, said last night: 'We have carried out a wide-ranging investigation into the circumstances of the death of Mr Sala and continue to work with partner agencies including the Civil Aviation Authority.

'As part of this investigation we have to consider whether there is any evidence of any suspected criminality and as a result of our inquiries we have arrested a 64-year-old man from the North Yorkshire area on suspicion of manslaughter by an unlawful act.'

The original flight plan named David Henderson (pictured with the doomed plane) as the pilot but he pulled out at the 11th hour - and the French authorities initially feared he was dead

Thursday 20/06/19
UPDATED:

64 year old man Released without charge.

BBC NEWS

Wednesday 19th June 2019

A man has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter by an unlawful act in relation to the death of Argentine footballer Emiliano Sala.

The striker, who had signed to Cardiff City, died in a plane crash in January along with pilot David Ibbotson.

A spokesperson for Dorset Police said a 64-year-old man from North Yorkshire had been arrested and released while investigations continue.

The force added the families of the two men who died had been informed.
Attachments
605CA36B-CFBA-4AFB-9553-5751D4245D12.jpeg
605CA36B-CFBA-4AFB-9553-5751D4245D12.jpeg (231.31 KiB) Viewed 14579 times
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

UPDATED: “ MANSLAUGHTER ARREST OVER EMILIANO SALA DEATH "

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: " MAN ARRESTED OVER SALA DEATH "

Postby Calzaghes trainset » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:37 pm

That Henderson fella who was supposed to fly the plane?

BREAKING BBC

Emiliano Sala: Manslaughter arrest over footballer's death

19/06/19

Emiliano Sala had been flying to join his new team, Cardiff City, when the plane carrying him crashed
A man has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter in relation to the death of Argentine footballer Emiliano Sala who died in a plane crash.

The striker, who had signed with Cardiff City, was killed in the crash along with pilot David Ibbotson.

A spokesperson for Dorset Police said a 64-year-old man from North Yorkshire had been arrested and released while investigations continue.

The force added the families of the two men who died had been informed.

Mr Sala, 28, had been travelling from Nantes to Cardiff on 21 January when the plane he was in lost contact with air traffic control north of Guernsey.

His body was recovered in February but Mr Ibbotson's has never been found.

Mr Sala's body was brought to Portland and Dorset Police has been carrying out inquiries on behalf of the coroner.

Det Insp Simon Huxter, of the force's Major Crime Investigation Team, said: "As part of this investigation we have to consider whether there is any evidence of any suspected criminality and as a result of our inquiries we have today, Wednesday 19 June 2019, arrested a 64-year-old man from the North Yorkshire area on suspicion of manslaughter by an unlawful act.

"He is assisting with our inquiries and has been released from custody under investigation."

Det Insp Huxter urged people not to speculate about the identity of the man as it could hinder the investigation
Attachments
9F50ACC2-9D2D-4AA2-B6A1-7A98D74C39A0.jpeg
9F50ACC2-9D2D-4AA2-B6A1-7A98D74C39A0.jpeg (231.31 KiB) Viewed 14553 times
Calzaghes trainset

Re: BREAKING " MANSLAUGHTER ARREST OVER EMILIANO SALA DEATH

Postby fred keenor » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:41 pm

Henderson is 60 years old ?
Last edited by fred keenor on Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fred keenor

Postby Charlie Harper » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:42 pm

And about time. Someone whoever it is has lots of questions to answer and I hope this goes a long way to pardon our club from any misdoing :bluebird:
Mad bad and dangerous to know
Charlie Harper

Postby norms76 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:43 pm

The agent?
norms76

Postby mistaflux75 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:43 pm

Glad somebody is possibly being brought to justice at last
mistaflux75

Postby evil c » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:46 pm

Willie McKay born in 1959 ?
evil c

Postby ThomasC » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:51 pm

evil c wrote:Willie McKay born in 1959 ?

that would make him 60 unless he hasn't had a birthday yet.... hmmmm
Last edited by ThomasC on Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ThomasC

Postby luxy1970 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:06 pm

Have they ever disclosed who owned the plane?
luxy1970

Postby Mr Ducie » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:39 pm

fred keenor wrote:Henderson is 60 years old ?

Henderson lives in N Yorkshire (York)
Mr Ducie

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:39 pm

64 year old I wonder if it's McKay ?
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby bluesince62 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:45 pm

Forever Blue wrote:64 year old I wonder if it's McKay ?

Sorry,I started a thread before reading this,my thoughts too Annis, how old is he? :old: :bluebird:
bluesince62

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:47 pm

bluesince62 wrote:

Sorry,I started a thread before reading this,my thoughts too Annis, how old is he? :old: :bluebird:

No problem :thumbright:

I can’t remember :lol:

Agents come to mind.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Paul Keevil » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:51 pm

Firstly let us remember that a person is innocent until proven guilty although this, in my opinion, is a positive step in the right direction.

It also confirms that CCFC were entirely right to not prejudice any position (i.e. make payments) whilst criminal proceedings were being considered and are now clearly underway.

In an earlier post I did comment on potential Civil Proceedings.

Criminal Proceedings are those that the Court bring for wrongful acts.

Civil Proceedings could be those brought by CCFC, Salas family etc, for financial losses incurred as a result of someones negligence - in causing his death

And in that previous post I referred to Section 11 subsection 2 of the Civil Evidence Act 1968 which reads:

(2)In any civil proceedings in which by virtue of this section a person is proved to have been convicted of an offence by or before any court in the United Kingdom or [F2of a service offence]F2—
(a)he shall be taken to have committed that offence unless the contrary is proved; and

What that means is that if said person is found guilty in any criminal proceedings he is automatically deemed negligent and liable in any civil action

What it also means is that if said person was acting as an Employee, Servant or Agent for Nantes FC then Nantes are Vicariously liable for his actions and CCFC could have a Civil Action against (1) Person A and (2) Nantes. In which case Nantes would be far best placed to settle any damages claim than person A - (i.e. you go after the ones with money)

So say for example, CCFC were able to prove they lost say £15m transfer fee and say £50m loss of revenue by being relegated then a civil action could "potentially" recoup a lot of money for them.

Its a messy situation clearly and lets not forget that a 2 people died and then the father of Sala died.
Looking for a Photographer?

Accredited Champions League, Premiership and FL Photographer
Cover RL, RU, Motorsport etc
Accredited - 2012 Olympic Games
Attend "Celebrity Events" - papping
Weddings & Porfolio Work
Paul Keevil

Postby bluesince62 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:53 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

Agents come to mind.

We shall have to wait I suppose, and see how it develops,must be something in it :?: wouldn't waste their time if not surely :?: :old: :bluebird:
bluesince62

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:01 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

Agents come to mind.

We shall have to wait I suppose, and see how it develops,must be something in it :?: wouldn't waste their time if not surely :?: :old: :bluebird:

Good to see the case is being investigated :thumbright:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Cardiffcitymad » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:24 pm

Could it be that they have found information about the aircraft itself... I.e. Not kept up with maintenance?
Cardiffcitymad

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:24 pm

Yes he is 60 years of age and lives in York which is not really North Yorkshire. Whoever this guy is it appears not to be McKay or Henderson due to both being 60 years old rather than 64.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:28 pm

Cardiffcitymad wrote:Could it be that they have found information about the aircraft itself... I.e. Not kept up with maintenance?

With the little information we have it is a guessing game but if I had to guess with what we know I would go with your suggestion.

Maybe he did the aircraft version of an MOT and passed a flying wreck which is how ES is supposed to have described it?
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Mr Ducie » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:28 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:

Yes he is 60 years of age and lives in York which is not really North Yorkshire. Whoever this guy is it appears not to be McKay or Henderson due to both being 60 years old rather than 64.

York is definitely North Yorkshire ....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/York
Mr Ducie

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:32 pm

Mr Ducie wrote:

York is definitely North Yorkshire ....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/York

I was based in Catterick when I was in the Army and that really is North Yorkshire. I remember going to York on the weekends and it was miles away. I would say it is more mid-Yorkshire and closer to the South than the North.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Jock » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:32 pm

Cardiffcitymad wrote:Could it be that they have found information about the aircraft itself... I.e. Not kept up with maintenance?

With the little information we have it is a guessing game but if I had to guess with what we know I would go with your suggestion.

Maybe he did the aircraft version of an MOT and passed a flying wreck which is how ES is supposed to have described it?

Did they raise the aircraft from the seabed?
Jock

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:34 pm

Jock wrote:

TBH I can't remember.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Cardiffcitymad » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:36 pm

Jock wrote:

TBH I can't remember.

I'm sure they did, which is why I'm thinking have they found a fault with the aircraft ?
Cardiffcitymad

Postby Igovernor » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:41 pm

Just, a thought, unless the man they arrested is the owner of the plane or a mechanic who worked on it, I think the police have given out disinformation, i mean if they said the man was from York and was 60 years old then we would all including the media think it would be Henderson , of If they said he was from monaco and is 60 years old we would guess it to be Mckay.
Igovernor

Postby worcester_ccfc » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:42 pm

The police have asked the public not to speculate over the identity of the man, as it could put any possible prosecution in jeopardy.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby Cardiffcitymad » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:43 pm

Igovernor wrote:Just, a thought, unless the man they arrested is the owner of the plane or a mechanic who worked on it.

I think one of the above, we will have to wait and see
Cardiffcitymad

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:46 pm

Igovernor wrote:Just, a thought, unless the man they arrested is the owner of the plane or a mechanic who worked on it, I think the police have given out disinformation, i mean if they said the man was from York and was 60 years old then we would all including the media think it would be Henderson , of If they said he was from monaco and is 60 years old we would guess it to be Mckay.

Are Police allowed to put out deliberate misinformation?
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Igovernor » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:47 pm

Doesn't Henderson live in Lincolnshire, which is definitely not in Yorkshire :laughing6:
Igovernor

Next

Return to General Chat