Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The Championship net spend figures as Cardiff City, Swansea

Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:50 pm

The Championship net spend figures as Cardiff City, Swansea City and Leeds United's fees are revealed

Friday 9th August 2019

The transfer window is now closed in the Championship until January

Leeds United boss Marcelo Bielsa, Swansea City's Steve Cooper, Cardiff City manager Neil Warnock and Stoke City's Nathan Jones
The transfer window is now closed in the Championship until January

The Championship summer transfer window is now closed for business.

It proved to be a hectic day in the second tier as teams worked to get players in and out ahead of the early deadline.

Clubs are now set for the season with the window shut.

As Financial Fair Play rules restrict how much a club can lose, net spend has become even more relevant.

Bristol Live has now rounded up every club's net spend this summer, from the team turning the biggest profit to the one who made the biggest loss.

All the figures are taken from TransferMarkt.

Swansea City - £34.9m profit

Fees received: £35.1m

Biggest sale: Oli McBurnie to Sheffield United, £18m

Fees spent: £650k

Biggest buy: Kristoffer Peterson £650k

Leeds United - £26.75m profit

Fees received: £26.75m

Biggest sale: Jack Clarke to Tottenham Hotspur, £9.9m

Fees spent: £0

Biggest buy: N/A

Fulham - £25.6m profit

Fees received: £25.6m

Biggest sale: Ryan Sessegnon to Tottenham Hotspur, £24.3m

Birmingham City - £9.83m

Fees received: £19.08m

Biggest sale: Che Adams to Southampton, £15.03m

Fees spent: £9.25m

Biggest buy: Ivan Sunjic £7.2m

West Brom - £9.06m

Fees received: £26.84m

Biggest sale: Salomon Rondon to DL Yifang, £16.44m

Fees spent: £17.78m

Biggest Buy: Kenneth Zohore £8.01m

Brentford - £9.04m profit

Fees received: £34.83m

Biggest sale: Neal Maupay to Brighton, £18m

Fees spent: £25.79m

Biggest buy: Bryan Mbeumo, £5.85m

Luton Town - £8.51m profit

Fees received: £10.04m

Biggest sale: James Justin to Leicester, £6.03m

Fees spent: £1.53m

Biggest buy: Simon Sluga £1.53m

Huddersfield Town - £8.05m

Fees received: £19.53m

Biggest sale: Philip Billing to Bournemouth, £14.85m

Fees spent: £11.48m

Biggest buy: Isaac Mbenza £11.25m

Bristol City - £7.88m profit

Fees received: £32.99m

Biggest sale: Adam Webster to Brighton, £19.67m

Fees spent: £25.11m

Biggest buy: Tomas Kalas, £8.1m

QPR - £7.56m profit

Fees received: £7.56m

Biggest sale: Luke Freeman to Sheffield United, £5.04m

Preston North End - £5.04m profit

Fees received: £7.02m

Biggest sale: Callum Robinson £7.02m

Fees spent: £1.98m

Biggest buy: Tom Bayliss £1.98m

Barnsley - £4.23m profit

Fees received: £7.47m

Biggest sale: Ethan Pinnock to Brentford, £3.02m

Fees spent: £3.24m

Biggest buy: Luke Thomas £1.22m

Sheffield Wednesday - £3.87m profit

Fees received: £4.86m

Biggest sale: Lucas Joao to Reading, £4.86m

Fees spent: £990k

Biggest buy: Massimo Luongo £990k

Middlesbrough - £1.83m profit

Fees received: £4.01m

Biggest sale: Aden Flint to Cardiff £4.01m

Fees spent: £2.18m

Biggest buy: Anfernee Dijksteel £1.98m

Charlton Athletic - £1.75m profit

Fees received: £1.98m

Biggest sale: Anfernee Dijksteel to Middlesbrough, £1.98m

Fees spent: £203k

Biggest buy: Macauley Bonne £203k

Hull City - £396k loss

Fees received: £0

Biggest sale: N/A

Fees spent: £396k

Biggest buy: George Honeyman £396k

Nottingham Forest - £540k loss

Biggest sale: Ben Osborn to Sheffield United, £3.51m

Fees spent: £4.5m

Biggest buy: Carl Jenkinson £1.98m

Millwall - £1.76m loss

Fees spent: £1.76m

Biggest buy: Connor Mahoney £990k

Blackburn Rovers - £2.4m loss

Fees received: £3.02m

Biggest sale: David Raya to Brentford, £3.02m

Fees spent: £5.04m

Biggest buy: Sam Gallagher £5.04m

Cardiff City - £4.42m loss ( Not including £22.5mill for Reid)

Nor Bruno Manga £3m.

Fees received: £9.81m ( Not including £11.5mill for Reid)

Biggest sale: Kenneth Zohore to West Brom, £8.01m

Fees spent: £14.23m

Biggest buy: Robert Glatzel £5.4m

Stoke City - £5.04m loss

Fees received: £990k

Biggest sale: Erik Pieters to Burnley, £990k

Fees spent: £6.03m

Biggest buy: Tommy Smith £4.01m

Derby County - £6.16m loss

Fees received: £1.22m

Biggest sale: Luke Thomas to Barnsley £1.22m

Fees spent: £7.38m

Biggest buy: Krystian Bielik £7.38m

Wigan Athletic - £7.13m loss

Fees spent: £7.13m

Biggest buy: Kieffer Moore £2.43m

Reading - £11.3m loss

Fees received: £765k

Biggest sale: Jon Dadi Bodvarsson to Millwall, £765k

Fees spent: £12.06m

Biggest buy: George Puscas £7.2m

Re: The Championship net spend figures as Cardiff City, Swan

Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:57 pm

Not including money we recieved for manga or healey either are they haha, where do they get these figures?

Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:21 pm

danielrees17 wrote:Not including money we recieved for manga or healey either are they haha, where do they get these figures?

That’s what I thought, more rubbish again.

City have made a very healthy profit.

And not touched any Premier League monies.

Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:14 pm

A profit on transfers fees maybe.

But it’s a bit like saying my sweet shop made a healthy profit because it bought the days sweets for £50 and sold them for £200 meaning a direct profit in sales of £150.

However when you factor in that I spent £120 on the shop staff, £100 that days rent, £10 utilities... the picture becomes quite different.

The Premier League is a very expensive place full of hidden costs. Your squad will be on so much more than it was when it was in the Championship, regardless of what people say, you were not there long enough to insert relegation clauses in historical contracts plus the bonuses triggered the second the final whistle went on the final day in the Championship.

You still have the Sala money hanging over your head plus amortised payments owed for players you bought after and pre promotion.

Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:18 pm

JackSensealot wrote:A profit on transfers fees maybe.

But it’s a bit like saying my sweet shop made a healthy profit because it bought the days sweets for £50 and sold them for £200 meaning a direct profit in sales of £150.

However when you factor in that I spent £120 on the shop staff, £100 that days rent, £10 utilities... the picture becomes quite different.

That's what they are talking about transfer profit/loss not the clubs annual accounts :thumbup:

Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:20 pm

On the downside Roathy is back

Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:21 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

That's what they are talking about transfer profit/loss not the clubs annual accounts :thumbup:

The article yes, but the responses suggest that due to this there should be an increased level of spending, that’s certainly what seemed to be implied anyway.

Transfer profit alone has no bearing on the spending power a club has. You have to look at the whole picture, and the club most certainly would not be in a rosy position financially.

We made a transfer profit of £40m ish, but all that was needed for Premier League overheads.

Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:25 pm

JackSensealot wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

The article yes, but the responses suggest that due to this there should be an increased level of spending, that’s certainly what seemed to be implied anyway.

Transfer profit alone has no bearing on the spending power a club has. You have to look at the whole picture, and the club most certainly would not be in a rosy position financially.

We made a transfer profit of £40m ish, but all that was needed for Premier League overheads.

Mmmm how to turn a short story into war and peace novel! Leave you to it :thumbup:

Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:34 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Mmmm how to turn a short story into war and peace novel! Leave you to it :thumbup:

Both excellent reads, cheers Allan.

Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:52 pm

JackSensealot wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Both excellent reads, cheers Allan.

Why not just stick to the topics about Swansea

Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:51 pm

When you start posting something of substance, I may consider that as a kind of trade off, although yet to see anything resembling that, however there is still time. So as it stands I am perfectly happy with my contribution Pauly and no doubt have added to this thread more than your every increasingly frequent 'nothing comment', which is ironic really... :occasion5:

Cheers

Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:28 am

JackSensealot wrote:When you start posting something of substance, I may consider that as a kind of trade off, although yet to see anything resembling that, however there is still time. So as it stands I am perfectly happy with my contribution Pauly and no doubt have added to this thread more than your every increasingly frequent 'nothing comment', which is ironic really... :occasion5:

Cheers

At sometime this season the annual accounts for both CCFC & SCFC will be published. At that point we can discuss wage/bonus structures etc.

For now this article is about net transfer spends where both clubs have made healthy profits. Any addition by you is simply speculation and doesn't add anything to the thread.

Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:57 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
At sometime this season the annual accounts for both CCFC & SCFC will be published. At that point we can discuss wage/bonus structures etc.

For now this article is about net transfer spends where both clubs have made healthy profits. Any addition by you is simply speculation and doesn't add anything to the thread.

It’s more common sense than speculation.

Costs increase with promotion, that much is blindingly obvious. When you get promoted you spend what you can afford, once relegated you can no longer afford to fund what you have. It’s just football 101 and something that has been consistently the case year in year for over a decade.

The accounts will tell us to the pound how much costs increased, but we can safely say that they have without knowing the exact pound. Transfer profits based on 1 year is nonsense, for example you have counted Bobby Reid as a £10m profit... yet you made no profit on him at all, in fact surely lost money on him with agents fees, signing on fees, salary, bonus etc etc

Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:03 am

It’s also worth noting that you made a €51 million loss on transfers the 12 months prior, which is why looking at a simple list of transfers in and out this season and thinking it’s a profit that could be spent is crazy.

Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:42 am

JackSensealot wrote:It’s also worth noting that you made a €51 million loss on transfers the 12 months prior, which is why looking at a simple list of transfers in and out this season and thinking it’s a profit that could be spent is crazy.

How's Australia these days freak show??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:45 am

cityone wrote:
JackSensealot wrote:It’s also worth noting that you made a €51 million loss on transfers the 12 months prior, which is why looking at a simple list of transfers in and out this season and thinking it’s a profit that could be spent is crazy.

How's Australia these days freak show??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hot I’d have thought.

Are you ok?

Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:48 am

JackSensealot wrote:When you start posting something of substance, I may consider that as a kind of trade off, although yet to see anything resembling that, however there is still time. So as it stands I am perfectly happy with my contribution Pauly and no doubt have added to this thread more than your every increasingly frequent 'nothing comment', which is ironic really... :occasion5:

Cheers

Safe to say, we know where the 'Most boring poster in the World' title is headed this year.

Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:54 am

rumpo kid wrote:

Cheers

Safe to say, we know where the 'Most boring poster in the World' title is headed this year.

I don’t mind being boring. As long as I am accurate.

Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:04 am

,I'm really getting worried now. I tend to agree with the Jack on this, the second time this week. Read on plenty of other threads about our lack of spending, and the huge amounts we must have made just because we spent one season in the PL. Fans tend to forget that the running costs of operating a PL club are also huge. We will find out just how much when the accounts are finally submitted and available for us all to view. I doubt very much that we will have made massive profits as some seem to think.

Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:13 am

The Premier League is a very expensive place full of hidden costs. Your squad will be on so much more than it was when it was in the Championship, regardless of what people say, you were not there long enough to insert relegation clauses in historical contracts plus the bonuses triggered the second the final whistle went on the final day in the Championship.

You still have the Sala money hanging over your head plus amortised payments owed for players you bought after and pre promotion.

I think that probably the most important stats will only emerge as the season goes on - Points on the table!

The biggest impact on club success financially will rely on performances on the pitch. Let’s just see how it pans out!!!

Everything else is bluster as far as I’m concerned.

Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:46 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:,I'm really getting worried now. I tend to agree with the Jack on this, the second time this week. Read on plenty of other threads about our lack of spending, and the huge amounts we must have made just because we spent one season in the PL. Fans tend to forget that the running costs of operating a PL club are also huge. We will find out just how much when the accounts are finally submitted and available for us all to view. I doubt very much that we will have made massive profits as some seem to think.

Steve, you do realise it's the freak show roathie don't you?? he used to only hijack jack threads, now using one of his 50 other user names he hijacks any thread the weirdo feels like.

Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:08 am

cityone wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:,I'm really getting worried now. I tend to agree with the Jack on this, the second time this week. Read on plenty of other threads about our lack of spending, and the huge amounts we must have made just because we spent one season in the PL. Fans tend to forget that the running costs of operating a PL club are also huge. We will find out just how much when the accounts are finally submitted and available for us all to view. I doubt very much that we will have made massive profits as some seem to think.

Steve, you do realise it's the freak show roathie don't you?? he used to only hijack jack threads, now using one of his 50 other user names he hijacks any thread the weirdo feels like.

Hi cityone. Yes, I guessed it was Roathie, but he seems to have changed the ways he posts slightly. He no longer comes across as the obnoxious know-it-all that he was under his hundreds of previous names, and at the moment, does not appear to be here simply as a forum ruining troll. I am happy enough to get into a converstion with anyone, if that person genuinely wants a discussion rather than just arguing for the sake of it. So far this week he has posted a couple of times, and in all fairness, his comments have been sensible and courteous enough. Remains to be seen how long this continues.

Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:13 am

For the record, one and only username as always. Never have and never would have multiple ones, I can more than hold my own without needing more than one. I would have thought that was evident by now.

Anyway, yes it’s ironic that those that go on about Roathie only end up trolling and ruining their own clubs forums threads. I suppose that is some sort of poetic irony enjoyed by someone somewhere.

Just talk about football and nobody has a problem surely? Anyway, back to the topic.

Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:19 am

JackSensealot wrote:

It’s more common sense than speculation.

Costs increase with promotion, that much is blindingly obvious. When you get promoted you spend what you can afford, once relegated you can no longer afford to fund what you have. It’s just football 101 and something that has been consistently the case year in year for over a decade.

The accounts will tell us to the pound how much costs increased, but we can safely say that they have without knowing the exact pound. Transfer profits based on 1 year is nonsense, for example you have counted Bobby Reid as a £10m profit... yet you made no profit on him at all, in fact surely lost money on him with agents fees, signing on fees, salary, bonus etc etc

Waffle, Waffle, Waffle :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2:

Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:20 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
cityone wrote:

Hi cityone. Yes, I guessed it was Roathie, but he seems to have changed the ways he posts slightly. He no longer comes across as the obnoxious know-it-all that he was under his hundreds of previous names, and at the moment, does not appear to be here simply as a forum ruining troll. I am happy enough to get into a converstion with anyone, if that person genuinely wants a discussion rather than just arguing for the sake of it. So far this week he has posted a couple of times, and in all fairness, his comments have been sensible and courteous enough. Remains to be seen how long this continues.

Fair enough steve, but on your last sentance, don't hold your breath :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:27 am

JackSensealot wrote:For the record, one and only username as always. Never have and never would have multiple ones, I can more than hold my own without needing more than one. I would have thought that was evident by now.

Anyway, yes it’s ironic that those that go on about Roathie only end up trolling and ruining their own clubs forums threads. I suppose that is some sort of poetic irony enjoyed by someone somewhere.

Just talk about football and nobody has a problem surely? Anyway, back to the topic.

This might be the only username you have at the present but it is more than a little suspicious that your joining date is very recent. A very Roathie type trait.

Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:30 am

This might be the only username you have at the present but it is more than a little suspicious that your joining date is very recent. A very Roathie type trait.

My joining date was January/February-ish. Sven banned the other username “JackSensalot” (different spelling) after I showed him to be wrong about something Swansea related and he didn’t like it.

Anyway...

Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:07 pm

griff105 wrote:On the downside Roathy is back

I ignore him but not sure why he hasn't been banned. Very annoying and odd person.

Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:56 am

2blue2handle wrote:
griff105 wrote:On the downside Roathy is back

I ignore him but not sure why he hasn't been banned. Very annoying and odd person.

Banned for talking more sense than most?

Aye ok mate. :D

Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:02 am

JackSensealot wrote:

My joining date was January/February-ish. Sven banned the other username “JackSensalot” (different spelling) after I showed him to be wrong about something Swansea related and he didn’t like it.

Anyway...

Beg to differ Mr. Sensealot but your profile shows that you joined on Saturday 13th July 2019 which is less than a month ago and you only have 159 posts at present :?

The only way you could have originally joined in January or February was under another username :laughing5: This is why posters believe you're Roathie because that is the kind of nonsense and distortion he would do.