Warnock big decisions coming up

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby thomasblue » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:29 am

We have a few players who will be coming to fitness soon

Sol Bamba :

A huge Warnock favourite but does he come straight back in and for who ?
Will he drop Flint or Morrison ?
Possibly play all three ?

Neil Etheridge :

If Smithies plays like he did yesterday and keeps up that form, will Etheridge get his place back once he is fit ?

Lee Tomlin :

He looks good in pre season, lost a lot of weight and is making a big effort to sort himself out. Does Warnock give him another chance or stick with the unfit out if position Patterson ?
thomasblue

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Warnock big decisions coming up

Postby Sneggyblubird » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:34 am

Good as they are none of then will walk back into the side.
Sneggyblubird

Postby NIBluebird » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:50 am

If we win , pick same squad .

Lose make changes
NIBluebird

Postby NIBluebird » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:51 am

Healthy having a competitive squad
NIBluebird

Postby salopiancity » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:18 am

No one deserves to lose their place if they play well and the players waiting in the wings should know that as it also applies to them if they’re in the side.
salopiancity

Postby LiamD1991 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:24 am

thomasblue wrote:We have a few players who will be coming to fitness soon

Sol Bamba :

Neil Etheridge :

If Smithies plays like he did yesterday and keeps up that form, will Etheridge get his place back once he is fit ?

Lee Tomlin :

He looks good in pre season, lost a lot of weight and is making a big effort to sort himself out. Does Warnock give him another chance or stick with the unfit out if position Patterson ?

Unfortunately I think if you do your ACL at Sol’s age then it’s a big ask to get back into the team. Think Sol will be back up when he returns and slowly move into a coaching role.

Think that if Smithies is playing really well then he keeps his place - I just hope his summer issues with Warnock don’t bite him in the backside for when Etheridge returns to fitness.

Think that place is Paterson’s to lose and we will see Tomlin from the bench more than often if he isn’t shipped out on loan. If we keep him I’m sure he’ll still have an impact.
LiamD1991

Postby 2blue2handle » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:43 am

I would imagine Sol will have to wait for his chance now but then a lot can happen, an injury, a lose of form. We also have Nelson. Like said above if we have a run of poor results he may try a back 3.

I don't think he will change the keeper unless he has a poor game.

I don't think we will see much of Tomlin.
2blue2handle

Postby phildavies » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:30 am

If Smithies plays like he did yesterday? Are you implying he was good? He flapped at an east ball he should have caught and his kicking was atrocious. Obviously Etheridge will come straight back in as he is the best goalkeeper at the club by a long long distqnce.

The Bamba situation is more intresting. Hopefully he will finally realise too that Hoilett is our best winger and needs to start when fit.
city till i die.............................................

Trying to combat the underrating of our own players and overestimating of other teams on this board
phildavies

Postby JJ1927 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:04 pm

phildavies wrote:If Smithies plays like he did yesterday? Are you implying he was good? He flapped at an east ball he should have caught and his kicking was atrocious. Obviously Etheridge will come straight back in as he is the best goalkeeper at the club by a long long distqnce.

The Bamba situation is more intresting. Hopefully he will finally realise too that Hoilett is our best winger and needs to start when fit.

Smithies had hardly anything to do all game. I would give him slack on the crosses and the kicking as the wind was terrible. Their keeper had a mare for the second week running.
JJ1927

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:28 pm

phildavies wrote:If Smithies plays like he did yesterday? Are you implying he was good? He flapped at an east ball he should have caught and his kicking was atrocious. Obviously Etheridge will come straight back in as he is the best goalkeeper at the club by a long long distqnce.

I’d say NML was best winger at club...followed by Hoilett
bluebirdoct1962

Postby thomasblue » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:28 pm

Etheridge is a average keeper with one good season behind him, smithies Kicking and distribution is a lot better than Etheridge. I think he may have to wait for his return to the team
thomasblue

Postby Sam ReaN » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:36 pm

Cardiff will most likely play 3 central defenders when bamba returns
Etheridge will come straight back into the team without issues
tomlin will be sold as he and the club would rather see him leave to go somewhere else
Also On The Sam ReaN YouTube Channel
Cardiff City Highlights On Bits From The Action
The ReaN Show Series 1-6
CardiffFanTV / On Facebook & YouTube
Vlogging Adventures
Video Games
SUBSCRIBE IN 2024
Sam ReaN

Postby Danny Says » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:37 pm

thomasblue wrote:We have a few players who will be coming to fitness soon

Sol Bamba :

Neil Etheridge :

Lee Tomlin :

Not sure what you mean by Smithies form yesterday? One decent stop and had nothing else really to do. Helpless for the goal due to pitiful defending and lack of someone on the post.

I’d have Tomlin over Paterson for games where City intend to be more offensive. Paterson offers nothing creative.

NML over Whyte every time; he looks lightweight and needs some beefing up. Is NML injured?

Plenty of others could start ahead of others.

But not many options at full back.

Not convinced by Morrison and Flint together; better attackers will run around them.
Danny Says

Postby Llan_Blue » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:48 pm

Has Smithies shagged your mrs or something???

Today your ripping his decent performance apart and yesterday you were saying that Day is a much better keeper.

What’s he done to you :lol: :lol:

Anyway in the championship every single player will have to contribute so I’m sure at some part of the season they will get there chance.
Llan_Blue

Postby Aramore » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:50 pm

Anyone who criticises Smithies' kicking in that wind after 2 seasons of Etheridge's awful distribution is crazy.

Smithies' distribution was always one of his strong points at previous clubs. In normal weather he'll show it.
64JACK wrote:
ThomasC wrote: :lol: your my favourite poster :ayatollah:

Actually, your mine as well! The avator clinches it for me, as sometimes I do imagine I'm talking too a sensible lemon in sunglasses! :laughing6:
Aramore

Postby phildavies » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:00 pm

thomasblue wrote:

Etheridge is a average keeper with one good season behind him, smithies Kicking and distribution is a lot better than Etheridge. I think he may have to wait for his return to the team

Etheridge has been brilliant for two years for Walsall before he even joined us for a start. All round by far our best keeper.

Trying to combat the underrating of our own players and overestimating of other teams on this board
phildavies

Postby phildavies » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:04 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

NML is the most explosive but Hoilett is the better all round player. Better crossing,shooting and defensively. Though when fit they should both be the first choice wingers.

phildavies

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:05 pm

phildavies wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

NML is the most explosive but Hoilett is the better all round player. Better crossing,shooting and defensively. Though when fit they should both be the first choice wingers.

Yup I agree that both should start.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby Dicey » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:12 pm

Looks like Etheridge will be out for sometime.

Rumour has it that Warnock wanted Tomlin shipped out . I like to think he may be given another chance since Reid left but my gut feeling is that he won't.

Warnock has his favourites and you include Sol in that bunch.. This ones lot harder to answer.. maybe a rotation system ?
Dicey

Postby thomasblue » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:47 pm

phildavies wrote:
thomasblue wrote:

Etheridge has been brilliant for two years for Walsall before he even joined us for a start. All round by far our best keeper.

Walsall fans at the time didnt seem to mind that he left them.
If you believe that he is better then fine
My opinion is that his distribution is awful , he cant catch so tries to punch everything away and his communication skills are lacking.
He is on the other hand a very good shot stopper but his all round game is not great. It was only 18 months ago that he was so bad for us he was dropped for Brian Murphy in the league. Yes he improved but dont make him out to be the world beater you think he is.
Smithies is a lot better in a lot of departments including experience. It will be very interesting to see what happens once he is back.
thomasblue

Postby phildavies » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:09 pm

thomasblue wrote:
phildavies wrote:
thomasblue wrote:

My opinion is that his distribution is awful , he cant catch so tries to punch everything away and his communication skills are lacking.
He is on the other hand a very good shot stopper but his all round game is not great. It was only 18 months ago that he was so bad for us he was dropped for Brian Murphy in the league. Yes he improved but dont make him out to be the world beater you think he is.
Smithies is a lot better in a lot of departments including experience. It will be very interesting to see what happens once he is back.

What is this experience rubbish they have both played over 150 football league games FFS :lol:

It not like he’s some 18 year old kid. He has improved his kicking and his throwing is immense but not used enough. I can’t think of any department Smithies is better than him in TBH and I have watched loads of both.

phildavies

Postby thomasblue » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:57 pm

phildavies wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
phildavies wrote:
thomasblue wrote:

What is this experience rubbish they have both played over 150 football league games FFS :lol:

It not like he’s some 18 year old kid. He has improved his kicking and his throwing is immense but not used enough. I can’t think of any department Smithies is better than him in TBH and I have watched loads of both.

Really?
Etheridge made less than 20 appearances in 8 years before he joined Walsall league 1.

He only has 80 games at championship level or above , Smithies has over 350 and 12 years at a high level

Etheridge has plenty of chances to release or throw the ball but always opts to hold on to slowing the game down it so I dont know what you are basing that on.

Smithies is better in every department and will show that over the next few months
thomasblue

Postby Tuna Pasta Bake » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:12 pm

Smithies - agree, his kicking yesterday was excellent regardless of the conditions - on the whole his work was consistently good and he looked calm and confident.

Anyone who was at Wigan last week (me included) will confirm that Joe Day's kicking / distribution was tentative and fairly inaccurate. IMO Smithies performance yesterday was far more competent and reassuring.

To say that Smithies had atrocious kicking yesterday is wrong and being totally blind to the facts.
Tuna Pasta Bake

Postby Dazzy » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:55 pm

The Bamba and Etheridge decisions are way off - they’re not back until October apparently - but I’d like to see Tomlin on the bench instead of Bogle. Vassel is the man to put on if we need an injection of pace. Tomlin offers something different which could be very handy if we need a late goal
Who needs Cantona, when we’ve got Stantona?
Dazzy

Postby Bluebina » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:22 am

Bread and butter decisions that he has made every week for most of his life, they only come in when he thinks they will improve the team, simple as that, if the team are winning and playing well they wait for an injury or a fatigued player to get a chance.
Bluebina

Postby paulh_85 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:35 am

doubt we will see Bamba much before Xmas, and smithies has got a long run in the team now, chance to show what he can do.
paulh_85

Return to General Chat