My view yesterday, creativity needed

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Welsh Giants » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:31 pm

Decent performance yesterday. But a big concern for me was the lack of possession of the ball and no creativity.
We are missing someone to be calm and composed on the ball to dictate the game because we looked like we lacked ideas in central areas. Camarassa was our best player last year and he could do the things mentioned above. Glatzel looks a real good player who could score bags of goals but he needs the right service. I really hope lee tomlin plays now because he can be the difference in us being a mid table team like we looked yesterday and going up.
Welsh Giants

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: My view yesterday, creativity needed

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:56 pm

Welsh Giants wrote:Decent performance yesterday. But a big concern for me was the lack of possession of the ball and no creativity.
We are missing someone to be calm and composed on the ball to dictate the game because we looked like we lacked ideas in central areas. Camarassa was our best player last year and he could do the things mentioned above. Glatzel looks a real good player who could score bags of goals but he needs the right service. I really hope lee tomlin plays now because he can be the difference in us being a mid table team like we looked yesterday and going up.

How many chances did we create 1st half? Creativity is not only doing it playing 100 passes it's the getting in the opposition penalty area to create the chances which we did numerous times. :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby Sven » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:19 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Welsh Giants wrote:Decent performance yesterday. But a big concern for me was the lack of possession of the ball and no creativity.

How many chances did we create 1st half? Creativity is not only doing it playing 100 passes it's the getting in the opposition penalty area to create the chances which we did numerous times. :thumbup:

Spot on, Allan; it was the crowd that had no creativity! ;) :laughing6:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Welsh Giants » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:05 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

Yes we did create chances but we if we are gonna get promoted we should be beating luton convincingly imo. We would be a much better side with tomlin in that role rather than paterson.
Welsh Giants

Postby Danny Says » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:08 pm

Welsh Giants wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Yes we did create chances but we if we are gonna get promoted we should be beating luton convincingly imo. We would be a much better side with tomlin in that role rather than paterson.

Alleluiah :old:
Danny Says

Postby bluesince62 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:31 am

Welsh Giants wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Sorry,but this is the championship, we should all know from experience, nothing is ever as straightforward as it should be,I believe tomlin had a gastrointestinal bug,so may not be fit for next game or possibly two,I am with you in essence, that we would benefit from his cleverness and creativity, but I don't believe this early on,we should be beating any team comfortably, just my opinion of course :ayatollah: :old: :bluebird:
bluesince62

Postby pembroke allan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:40 am

Welsh Giants wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Totally agree on Tomlin but chances are what you make through the way you play and we were more than ok in that respect! a win is a win and cannot expect to beat any team convincingly can only do that if take your chances :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:19 am

I agree with the above posts we created plenty of chances on Saturday but failed to convert them. This creativity narrative is something which is used as a stick to beat NW with and it doesn't seem to matter if it is true or not.

Luton only had more possession because they spent a huge amount of time passing it between their back four something we don't do. I was glad to see us pressing more in the second half to disrupt them.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Bluebina » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:19 am

A brand new team most of them hadn't played together or if they had not for a long time, If Tomlin really is at his best and will work his nuts off for the team it will show in the training and he may get a chance, it's not easy to give him one as he's wasted so many in the past.

Until then though Patterson will play there and although not fully match fit, he will give it 100% and should improve with some game time, overall though an awful lot to be pleased with, all the new players did well, and are still adjusting!
Bluebina

Postby bluebird7291 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:25 am

Once our new players click we will be fine. We created a shed full with 6 new players
bluebird7291

Postby welshrarebit » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:38 am

I'd be happy with more consistency with Murphy. At times he tore them apart and linked well with glatzel. At others he kicked the floor not the ball.
welshrarebit

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:54 am

welshrarebit wrote:I'd be happy with more consistency with Murphy. At times he tore them apart and linked well with glatzel. At others he kicked the floor not the ball.

Murphy did very well but tired badly in the second half and was rightly subbed. Holiett came on and did a great job as an impact winger.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby welshrarebit » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:45 am

He definitely did well and grew in to the game. But if he could add that little more refinement he can clean up for us I think. Hoilett was great though and knew exactly what to do when he came on.
welshrarebit

Postby Steve Zodiak » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:46 am

Not really bothered about possession or any other stats really. The only stat that counts is the score at the final whistle. Not sure how you define creativity. If its getting the ball into the box and giving our players the opportunity to score, I'm not sure if it matters whether there were 25 passes made to create the chance, or just 2 or 3 passes made before the ball is played into the danger area. I have a feeling we will see plenty of chances created, but we will be getting the ball into the danger area in the shortest possible time as opposed to keeping the ball for a couple of minutes before ending up back where the first pass was made.
Steve Zodiak

Postby 2blue2handle » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:09 pm

Who was our creative player the year we went up?
2blue2handle

Postby jimmy_rat » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:28 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Who was our creative player the year we went up?

Statistically it was Hoilett. 11 assists. 4th best in the league 17/18 season.
jimmy_rat

Postby Welsh Giants » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:56 pm

Different league this year, a lot weaker the year we went up imo. If we dont get hold of the ball and be more composed and creative in central areas this year teams like leeds west brom and fulham will boss us and tear us apart. Just an opinion of course but we look bang average in centre of the park and need to improve a lot from what i seen saturday.
Welsh Giants

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:59 am

Welsh Giants wrote:

Different league this year, a lot weaker the year we went up imo. If we dont get hold of the ball and be more composed and creative in central areas this year teams like leeds west brom and fulham will boss us and tear us apart. Just an opinion of course but we look bang average in centre of the park and need to improve a lot from what i seen saturday.

I tend to agree but Warnock’s side are not really about controlling the midfield with possession unfortunately. His teams (especially this season it seems) are about defending, hitting on the break and set pieces with our extra tall players.

We are bang average in in the centre of the park and I believe we’ll get overrun in a hell of a lot of games.
Should be interesting though.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby Welsh Giants » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:39 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
Welsh Giants wrote:

I tend to agree but Warnock’s side are not really about controlling the midfield with possession unfortunately. His teams (especially this season it seems) are about defending, hitting on the break and set pieces with our extra tall players.

We are bang average in in the centre of the park and I believe we’ll get overrun in a hell of a lot of games.

Why just accept being bang average and getting over run though when we got someone like tomlin available to inject some quality,composure and creativity in there? Thats my point.
Welsh Giants

Postby 2blue2handle » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:00 pm

Welsh Giants wrote:
Welsh Giants wrote:

Why just accept being bang average and getting over run though when we got someone like tomlin available to inject some quality,composure and creativity in there? Thats my point.

We had him the year we went up as well.

I don't accept this league us any stronger than previous years. Its said every year but I see no evidence of it, Norwich and Sheffield United went up last season, hardly super powers.
2blue2handle

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:17 pm

Welsh Giants wrote:
Welsh Giants wrote:

Well that’s easy to answer.
It’s because Warnock doesn’t either rate him, trust him, see him fitting into his system, or all three.

I’m hoping one way or another he forces his way into the side but I’m not holding my breath.
As a professional though, Tomlin has been pretty much a disgrace since he’s been here.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Return to General Chat