"It's Cardiff City versus the world"

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:45 am

It's Cardiff City versus the world as Neil Warnock proves he's ready to win promotion the old fashioned way

Monday 11th August 2019

By Paul Abadanato

There is a new rule in place this season enabling goalkeepers to pass the ball short to a defender inside the penalty box.

Word has it the book is already closed on the prospect of Cardiff City duo Neil Etheridge and Alex Smithies not doing that even once over the duration of the 2019-20 Championship campaign!

The last point, of course, is tongue-in-cheek, although it certainly didn't happen with Smithies against Luton.

But there is a more earnest point to this.

We keep hearing the Championship has changed since the last time Cardiff were at this level. That football has moved on even in that brief time, the best teams play a possession-based game, Neil Warnock's so-called archaic style hasn't got a chance of succeeding, that these days it's about pass, move and pretty-pretty keeping the ball.

To which I reply well let's wait and see then and make a judgment in May.

Warnock has set out his stall for the season ahead and we can see why Bobby Reid has no part to play in it, however hard that is for some fans - and indeed us scribes - to accept.

He's always preferred a direct game, but arguably Cardiff will be even more route one during 2019-20. Warnock plus-plus, you might argue.

With 6ft 6in Aden Flint at the back, 6ft 2in Marlon Pack in midfield, 6ft Callum Paterson in the 10 role and 6ft 4in Robert Glatzel up top, Cardiff have a big and physical spine and they will be playing to that strength throughout the coming nine months.

So don't expect split centre-halves, short goal kicks, or tiki-taka. These Bluebirds will be in the faces of the opposition from minute one to minute end. Organised, disciplined, resilient, hard-working and fully backing their manager's judgement.

Those who have reservations, like Reid, will be moved on.

Cardiff will score more headers than any other team in the league, they'll be the most dangerous side at set-pieces, they'll get the ball in the box quicker than anyone else. Even without Aron Gunnarsson, they'll get the crowd on the edge of their seats with regular deep throw-ins whipped into the mixer.

It won't be overly aesthetic or Barcelona Circa 2008, Messi, Xavi, Iniesta et al. But bet against Warnock succeeding - again - at your peril. This is the managerial maestro who has patented the promotion T-shirt, most notably at this level.

No player sums up Warnock's game plan better than Paterson. The manager had spoken this summer about building a team around Reid with the flair, pace, goal threat, silkiness and creativity he could bring in the 10 role.

Instead, Paterson is the chosen one. He lacks Reid's finesse, but makes up for it in Warnock's eyes with the combativeness and endeavour he throws into the entire 90 minutes of every Bluebirds game. Not to mention, of course, his aerial ability from the huge punts forward from goalkeeper and back four.

Isaac Vassell's Cardiff winner over Luton came in the 96th minute, the extra time played as a result of Hatters goalkeeper Simon Sluga, ball nowhere near him, going to the floor injured on the 90 minute mark - something that enraged the Bluebirds players and fans. Upon seeing Vassell's header nestle into the net, Paterson could be seen going right up to Sluga, supposedly trying to make a point or two.

A teeny bit undignified, possibly, but Bluebirds fans - and Warnock - will love the passion, confidence and will to win Paterson demonstrated in that moment.

It's another reason why he is a first pick for Warnock, even if many supporters would prefer to see the guile of Lee Tomlin given an opportunity in Reid's absence against opposition as limited as Luton's.

So, the big question is can Cardiff win promotion with this basic approach?

No, the cynics will sneer, and point to Norwich, Sheffield United and Aston Villa going up last season. Each of them footballing teams.

Leeds and Fulham, two more, are hotly fancied tips this time. So too Brentford, another who play a possession-based game.

Cardiff played that way themselves in their final Premier League game, beating Manchester United 2-0 with the defenders bringing the ball out from the back and the front four of Reid, Kenneth Zohore, Josh Murphy and Nathaniel Mendez-Laing producing a brilliant brand of football on the deck at pace.

Reid might have hoped there would be a continuation of that come the Championship. If they can blitz Man Utd that way at Old Trafford, why not Luton Town, Preston North End and Blackburn Rovers on your own Welsh turf?

It was never going to be that way, unfortunately, although it would have been lovely to see Cardiff give it a go.

Warnock knows you can't get out of the Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday grind of the Championship playing pretty football 46 times. You have to dog it out in this league and no team will display more character, more of a willingness to go right to the very end than his Cardiff City XI.

In any case, what's possession of the ball if you do nothing with it? Luton had 63 per cent on Saturday - and still lost.

As the season goes on, it could turn into Cardiff versus the rest of the Championship. Opposing fans will pour scorn upon and vent anger at Cardiff's style. They'll dub Warnock a dinosaur, label his tactics anti-fooball. The usual jibes.

Sometimes they might have a point. Most of the time the venom will come after they have lost, thus the gripes easily dismissed as sour grapes.

Whatever, Warnock won't give one jot. Why should he?

Since when did Warnock toe the establishment line and do things just because they are supposedly fashionable. There's nothing more fashionable, he would point out, than winning football matches. That's what brings in the fans, wins promotions.

He'll relish the us against the world approach, use it to motivate the players and fire up the fans. A no-one likes us, we don't care attitude.

That's why Warnock is known as football's Mr Marmite. You either hate him, or you love him. Cardiff fans know which side of the bread they have their marmite on.

Time and again this season you'll hear TV pundits saying that the tactics are highly effective for Cardiff. If it works for Warnock, why change?

He won't.

It's not as if the Bluebirds haven't got flair players, of course. Murphy can tear up this division by running at defenders, Junior Hoilett is a class act, Mendez-Laing mixes power with panache at times.

Cardiff need to, and will, get the ball down and let those wingers run at the opposition to create chances in the final third.

But by and large it will be against the backdrop of a disciplined route one approach in the first instance, often with Paterson or Glatzel flicking on a header to send the wide-men racing away.

It won't always be pretty, but it will be exciting. And, quite frankly, too much for lots of teams at this level.

The power game might also win promotion again, Warnock, as per usual, defying the so-called convention of how things are meant to be done in the modern era.
Attachments
0_WNS_100819_Cardiff_Luton_03JPG.jpg
0_WNS_100819_Cardiff_Luton_03JPG.jpg (87.53 KiB) Viewed 7451 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: "It's Cardiff City versus the world"

Postby lockey1927 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:07 am

Haters will hate
lockey1927

Postby LiamD1991 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:38 am

Just the way we like it. Everyone was against us last time and wanted Fulham up ahead of us. Can use it to our advantage again this season.
LiamD1991

Postby Bluebina » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:43 am

lockey1927 wrote:Haters will hate

Everyone will hate us, facking brilliant :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
Bluebina

Postby rumpo kid » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:53 pm

We were relegated. The World won.
rumpo kid

Postby 2blue2handle » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:02 pm

I don't get this "everyone is going to hate us" that the walesonline seem to be trying to build up.

All Warnock teams are hard to beat and all other teams will have strengths and weaknesses just like us. Just seems a bit daft to me.
2blue2handle

Postby Jackflash » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:18 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I don't get this "everyone is going to hate us" that the walesonline seem to be trying to build up.

All Warnock teams are hard to beat and all other teams will have strengths and weaknesses just like us. Just seems a bit daft to me.

" All Warnock teams are hard to beat" :lol: Why do you think you were relegated ?
Jackflash

Postby JackSensealot » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:24 pm

People are going to hate Cardiff City because the keeper doesn’t pass to a defender in their own box? :?

Bizarre article from a historically awful column writer (I refuse to call him a journalist).
Your obsessions will transform you into what you fear
JackSensealot

Postby Bluebird1990 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:02 pm

Jackflash wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:I don't get this "everyone is going to hate us" that the walesonline seem to be trying to build up.

" All Warnock teams are hard to beat" :lol: Why do you think you were relegated ?

It's funny how you lot come out of the woodworks now we're in the same division, didn't see this many cowardly jacks on here last season :lol:
Bluebird1990

Postby JackSensealot » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:12 pm

Bluebird1990 wrote:
It's funny how you lot come out of the woodworks now we're in the same division, didn't see this many cowardly jacks on here last season :lol:

Read a few people say that. Then in the same breath scream for Swansea fans to be banned, which I assume was the case historically.

Surely sense would have it that if Swansea fans wanted to come in here and be a nuisance then the exact time would have been last year when you again struggled at a level we have had great success at. Losing most weeks is a perfect opportunity to do that.

So I can only assume you are wide of the mark regarding the intentions of the people who post here that support Swansea or yet again the forum that welcomes all.. cowardly banned them, there are mods that have a chip on their shoulder regarding Swansea soncould we’ll be the case. But I’m speculating of course.
JackSensealot

Postby pembroke allan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:18 pm

Jackflash wrote:

Same reason you couldn't get into top 6 ... :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby JackSensealot » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:03 am

pembroke allan wrote:
Same reason you couldn't get into top 6 ... :thumbup:

I don’t think we have ever claimed otherwise.

Warnocks record at this level speaks for itself though. He’s a very good manager at this level. I do question whether he will continue to be effective however due to the league becoming more technical and less physical.
JackSensealot

Postby Bluebird1990 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:33 am

JackSensealot wrote:
Bluebird1990 wrote:

Read a few people say that. Then in the same breath scream for Swansea fans to be banned, which I assume was the case historically.

Surely sense would have it that if Swansea fans wanted to come in here and be a nuisance then the exact time would have been last year when you again struggled at a level we have had great success at. Losing most weeks is a perfect opportunity to do that.

So I can only assume you are wide of the mark regarding the intentions of the people who post here that support Swansea or yet again the forum that welcomes all.. cowardly banned them, there are mods that have a chip on their shoulder regarding Swansea soncould we’ll be the case. But I’m speculating of course.

You lot were nowhere to be seen last season so stop talking shit, how pathetic must you life be Roathie that you have to go on a rivals forum for attention :lol:
Bluebird1990

Postby Bluebina » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:00 am

Bluebird1990 wrote:
JackSensealot wrote:
Bluebird1990 wrote:

You lot were nowhere to be seen last season so stop talking shit, how pathetic must you life be Roathie that you have to go on a rivals forum for attention :lol:

It's because he's such an annoying tool they kee banning him from his own board!
Bluebina

Postby JackSensealot » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:48 am

Bluebird1990 wrote:You lot were nowhere to be seen last season so stop talking shit, how pathetic must you life be Roathie that you have to go on a rivals forum for attention :lol:

I joined in and around January. So that would be last season :occasion5:

From memory, Sven banned me for being right about something which seemed to annoy him.
JackSensealot

Postby JackSensealot » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:50 am

Bluebina wrote:You lot were nowhere to be seen last season so stop talking shit, how pathetic must you life be Roathie that you have to go on a rivals forum for attention :lol:

It's because he's such an annoying tool they kee banning him from his own board![/quote]

This is the only forum I have ever been banned from, that's just a fact.

So saying Swansea fans were not here, while ensuring they get banned simply for being sensible and often correct is quite disingenuous. Cant have it both ways.
JackSensealot

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:10 pm

JackSensealot wrote:
Bluebird1990 wrote:You lot were nowhere to be seen last season so stop talking shit, how pathetic must you life be Roathie that you have to go on a rivals forum for attention :lol:

I joined in and around January. So that would be last season :occasion5:

From memory, Sven banned me for being right about something which seemed to annoy him.

:sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2:
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:11 pm

JackSensealot wrote:
Bluebina wrote:You lot were nowhere to be seen last season so stop talking shit, how pathetic must you life be Roathie that you have to go on a rivals forum for attention :lol:

It's because he's such an annoying tool they kee banning him from his own board!

This is the only forum I have ever been banned from, that's just a fact.

So saying Swansea fans were not here, while ensuring they get banned simply for being sensible and often correct is quite disingenuous. Cant have it both ways.[/quote]

:sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2:
Tony Blue Williams

Return to General Chat