' Firm message to the Doubters '

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:39 am

New Cardiff City goal hero Isaac Vassell delivers firm message to his doubters

Monday 12th August 2019

Cardiff City's new goalscoring idol has a simple but poignant message to his doubters: Don't write me off because of my injury-plagued past.

While Cardiff City Stadium was sent into raptures by Isaac Vassell's injury-time winner against Luton Town, for the striker it represented the first barrier broken on a long road to recovery.

In October 2017, Vassell was at the foothills of a gruelling mountain of rehabilitation work after rupturing his ACL against Aston Villa while playing for Birmingham.

What lay ahead was an agonising year of gym work followed by a season playing second fiddle to Lukas Jutkiewicz.

Many Cardiff fans will have researched Vassell's modest record at Birmingham and quickly made their assessments. It was clear, especially after the departure of Bobby Reid, they were yearning for a striker with pedigree in the Championship.

But Neil Warnock saw bags of potential in the 25-year-old and though many might have seen his signing as a punt, the manager views Vassell's acquisition as a sound investment.

It had been reported that some clubs were put off by the player's injury record, but, if anything, that has served only to fuel his determination to be a success in the Welsh capital.

Isaac Vassell:

"You hear things, you read things here and there, but ultimately, as a player, you can't let that affect you," Vassell said of other clubs losing interest.

"You can say about my injury record but off the back of that you need to give some sort of opportunity.

"I'm not saying I've not had the opportunities but sometimes it just doesn't work like that in football.

"For someone to give you a chance - my rehab was fine, everything was fine - but people are going to have their worries and their doubts. But I'm an example today of people who can come back from injury and maybe it shouldn't affect your decision on someone."

Vassell is circumspect when it comes to his past injury woes. He speaks of taking his rehabilitation week by week and not allowing himself to become disappointed if the results begin to slow up.

Though he is just 25 he speaks with an air of maturity, one that comes with having to bear the burden of such frustration following a year on the sidelines.

But while Vassell himself will admit that Saturday's dream debut is just the start, he couldn't help but beam when speaking of his first goal for his new club.

His six minutes in a Cardiff City shirt have yielded as many goals as his 744 minutes in Birmingham colours. It will have felt sweet for him to have notched not only the winner, but his first goal since September 2017. And he hopes he is not done just yet.

"It's a great feeling, it has been a while," he said of his match-winner. "I love scoring goals, it's the best feeling in the world and I'm happy to get one on my debut. Hopefully I can bring a lot more."
Attachments
0_JS189790884-2.jpg
0_JS189790884-2.jpg (64.51 KiB) Viewed 6114 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: ' Firm message to the Doubters '

Postby Bluebina » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:58 am

looked better in six minutes than Bobby Weed did in a whole year, I hope he stays injury-free, as he and Glatzel between them could be amongst the best Strikers in the league!
Bluebina

Postby Bluebird1990 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:02 am

Hopefully this goal has given him the boost he needed.
Bluebird1990

Postby LiamD1991 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:40 am

More than happy to be proved wrong on this one - I still have doubts about how many this lad will score but buzzing to see him get off to a good start!
LiamD1991

Postby Steve Zodiak » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:31 am

LiamD1991 wrote:More than happy to be proved wrong on this one - I still have doubts about how many this lad will score but buzzing to see him get off to a good start!

He has already scored as many in 6 minutes as Zohore did throughout the whole of last season. ;)
Steve Zodiak

Postby Stevejonesfrom62 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:58 am

Had the pleasure ofmeetung Isaac and his missus after the game what a lovely down to earth couple exactly the type of professional we take to down these parts take a bow the vassells
Stevejonesfrom62

Postby 2blue2handle » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:06 pm

"You can say about my injury record but off the back of that you need to give some sort of opportunity."

"I'm not saying I've not had the opportunities"

What :lol:

Good for him, great to get a goal, hopefully it will give him a confidence boost to keep at it.

Obviously he needs to perform over a period of time though before he proves anything.
2blue2handle

Postby montyblue » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:21 pm

Lets hope we don' t fo2egot bogle, he did nothing wrong coming on at burnley looked good and scored.
montyblue

Postby Stevejonesfrom62 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:18 pm

Had the pleasure ofmeetung Isaac and his missus after the game what a lovely down to earth couple exactly the type of professional we take to down these parts take a bow the vassells
Stevejonesfrom62

Postby theclaw » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:42 pm

He got a fair bicep too :laughing6:
theclaw

Postby bluesince62 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:58 pm

theclaw wrote:He got a fair bicep too :laughing6:

Fair do to Neil Warnock ,we got some serious beef in the team this season :lol: :old: :bluebird:
bluesince62

Postby JulesK » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:07 pm

Good luck to the lad :bluescarf:

And that's a cracking photo
Keeping the Faith since '74.
JulesK

Postby LiamD1991 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:17 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
LiamD1991 wrote:More than happy to be proved wrong on this one - I still have doubts about how many this lad will score but buzzing to see him get off to a good start!

He has already scored as many in 6 minutes as Zohore did throughout the whole of last season. ;)

Haha 2 different scenarios but I know what you’re saying - he’s made a great start let’s hope it continues
LiamD1991

Return to General Chat