Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Emiliano Sala and pilot suffered deadly '

Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:33 pm

Emiliano Sala and pilot suffered deadly carbon monoxide poisoning in cockpit before plane crashed in Channel

Wednesday 14th August 2019

FOOTBALLER Emiliano Sala and his pilot were poisoned by carbon monoxide in their plane before it crashed in the English Channel, it has been revealed today.

Sala was exposed to “deadly” levels of the gas before the private plane smashed into the water on January 21, with pilot David Ibbotson’s body still missing.

Emiliano Sala was killed on his way to meet his new Cardiff City team mates

It is unclear whether the pair passed out and died on the plane from the exposure – or whether they died from their injuries in the crash.

The Air Accident Investigation Branch today revealed the toxicology results on Sala, which showed he had a saturation level of 58 per cent of carbon monoxide (CO) in his blood.

Exposure to the colourless and odourless gas between 20 and 30 per cent can cause drowsiness and headaches.

Meanwhile, more than 50 per cent can cause seizures, unconsciousness and heart attack.

While Mr Ibbotson’s body has never been found, the AAIB confirmed he would have likely suffered the same deadly exposure which would’ve “impaired his ability to fly”.

The report said: “It is clear from the symptoms that exposure to CO can reduce or inhibit a pilot’s ability to fly an aircraft depending on the level of that exposure.”

Argentine ace Sala, 28, had just signed for Cardiff City for £15million from Nantes and was flying to meet his teammates when the Piper Malibu PA-46 flown by Mr Ibbotson went down off Guernsey on January 21, 2019.

The plane had requested to descend then lost contact with Jersey air traffic control.

After an official search was axed, a £324,000 private one found the plane on February 3.

Sala’s body was recovered three days later.

The body of pilot Mr Ibbotson, of Crowle, Lincs, is still missing.

What effect does carbon monoxide have on the body?

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that has no smell or taste.

Breathing it in can make you unwell – and it can kill if you’re exposed to high levels.

Every year there are around 60 deaths from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning in England and Wales, according to the NHS.

After carbon monoxide is breathed in, it enters your bloodstream.

The chemical then attaches to the haemoglobin – the part of red blood cells that carry oxygen around your body – to form carboxyhaemoglobin.

When this happens, the blood is no longer able to carry oxygen. This lack of oxygen causes the body’s cells and tissue to fail and die.

It comes after two people are facing prison after admitting they accessed footage of Sala’s postmortem examination.

Christopher Ashford, 62, and Sherry Bray, 49, admitted illegally accessing CCTV at Bournemouth Mortuary.

Both admitted three counts of securing unauthorised access to computer material.

Emiliano Sala latest: New photos released by AAIB as they publish the evidence gathered on the loss of the aircraft in the English Channel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Emiliano Sala and pilot suffered deadly '

Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:36 pm

Sala's family issue a statement calling for the AAIB to "salvage the wreckage of the plane without further delay" to establish how carbon monoxide entered the cabin.

Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:02 pm

If that was the initial cause of death , then they need to get the plane out of the water and try and establish why that happened. Dont you get carbon monoxide from an engines exhaust ?

Eitherway - there was something wrong with the plane, which means someone hadnt checked something, or it could have been a fault that happened mid flight , which could not have been prevented, that plane needs to come up or this will never be settled.

Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:53 pm

ReesWestonSuperMare wrote:If that was the initial cause of death , then they need to get the plane out of the water and try and establish why that happened. Dont you get carbon monoxide from an engines exhaust ?

Eitherway - there was something wrong with the plane, which means someone hadnt checked something, or it could have been a fault that happened mid flight , which could not have been prevented, that plane needs to come up or this will never be settled.

Whoever owns that plane is now really in the do do. There’s the insurance claim right there. Just aswell our lawyers didn’t let us pay a penny as that would really confuse the matter.

Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:53 pm

This will exonerate the pilot from it being his fault? But doesnt get away from fact ge should not have been flying the plane at night! Its also thrown up even more questions that need answers and only way now is for plane to be raised which aaib cannot refuse now regardless of cost as there was obviously a fault somewhere within plane. :old:

Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:59 pm

pembroke allan wrote:This will exonerate the pilot from it being his fault? But doesnt get away from fact ge should not have been flying the plane at night! Its also thrown up even more questions that need answers and only way now is for plane to be raised which aaib cannot refuse now regardless of cost as there was obviously a fault somewhere within plane. :old:

In the interim report,it stated emiliano had levels as high as 48% in his blood :shock: I suppose it could well mean he was unconscious at the time of impact,so hopefully knew very little about the actual crash :?: but it does raise serious doubt about the air worthiness of that plane :oops: small comfort to either family I know,but it may help them with their grief,knowing they probably were unconscious on impact with the sea :?: that plane should be recovered now for sure,I'm not to sure if they will find out exactly why there were fumes in the plane,what with the damage and all :?: hope they find the answers for the families of both. :sad7: :old: :bluebird:

Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:11 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:This will exonerate the pilot from it being his fault? But doesnt get away from fact ge should not have been flying the plane at night! Its also thrown up even more questions that need answers and only way now is for plane to be raised which aaib cannot refuse now regardless of cost as there was obviously a fault somewhere within plane. :old:

In the interim report,it stated emiliano had levels as high as 48% in his blood :shock: I suppose it could well mean he was unconscious at the time of impact,so hopefully knew very little about the actual crash :?: but it does raise serious doubt about the air worthiness of that plane :oops: small comfort to either family I know,but it may help them with their grief,knowing they probably were unconscious on impact with the sea :?: that plane should be recovered now for sure,I'm not to sure if they will find out exactly why there were fumes in the plane,what with the damage and all :?: hope they find the answers for the families of both. :sad7: :old: :bluebird:

Have just read,that the normal percentage in a man is 0.2/2.1 percent :!: and up to 4.2 percent for an adult smoker :!: so to have levels of 48% is massive,and would have most likely rendered them unconscious,as I said a small comfort for the grieving families. RIP TO BOTH :sad7: :old: :bluebird:

Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:13 pm

I doubt it, as the pilot reportedly made several attempts to take-off and Sala himself made comment on the airworthiness of the plane

The confirmation of carbon monoxide in Sala's body means it is 'likely' that Ibbotson was experiencing similar and would 'likely' have contributed to reports of confusion and erratic flight patterns in the moments before the loss of contact

Either way, still a massively sad event but still a way to go before the truth fully outs and I certainly wouldn't want to be in Henderson or the plane owners shoes :(

Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:48 pm

Yeah, the plane was seemingly not airworthy but the pilot shouldn’t have been flying it so that will still be a factor.

I wonder if there was anything he could have done to make this happen?

Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:52 pm

Sven wrote:

I doubt it, as the pilot reportedly made several attempts to take-off and Sala himself made comment on the airworthiness of the plane

The confirmation of carbon monoxide in Sala's body means it is 'likely' that Ibbotson was experiencing similar and would 'likely' have contributed to reports of confusion and erratic flight patterns in the moments before the loss of contact

Either way, still a massively sad event but still a way to go before the truth fully outs and I certainly wouldn't want to be in Henderson or the plane owners shoes :(

By exonerate I mean fact he wasn't supposed to be flying plane they cannot say he was the cause of crash? Given what AAIB have said there is no doubt carbon monoxide poisoning was cause of crash.... so like said lot more questions to be answered! And yes people have still a lot to answer for. :thumbup:

Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:07 pm

A disastrous plane with known problems being flown by a pilot not qualified at night organised by a complete tw*t of an agent that we used to get a deal.

A talentented young footballer and a naive pilot desperate for money loses there life over greed and complete lack of passion and morals !!

Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:17 pm

RageJon wrote:A disastrous plane with known problems being flown by a pilot not qualified at night organised by a complete tw*t of an agent that we used to get a deal.

A talentented young footballer and a naive pilot desperate for money loses there life over greed and complete lack of passion and morals !!

Agree with most of what you say,except the pilot was not naive, negligent yes,but naive no,it was his desperation that cost them both their lives,while I have empathy for his family, (pilot) I cannot help but feel desperately sorry for Emiliano and his family,as he was just a pawn in all of the sorry mess that ensued,although it may give them some relief,that he was most likely unconscious. :sad7: :sad7: :sad7: :old: :bluebird:

Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:57 pm

Refusing to get the plane out tonight, so this will rumble on :( :( :(

Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:06 am

pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:

By exonerate I mean fact he wasn't supposed to be flying plane they cannot say he was the cause of crash? Given what AAIB have said there is no doubt carbon monoxide poisoning was cause of crash.... so like said lot more questions to be answered! And yes people have still a lot to answer for. :thumbup:

Indeed, Allan :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:32 am

Hopefully both unconscious/dead before descent RIP.

AAIB says no to salvage of wreck due to length of time in sea !!! Which begs the question of why not salvage it at time of location? They had plant there, they had divers there, HATE it when some stuffed shirt comes out with the " we must think about tax payers money before these operations " FFS 2 men are dead!!!!!

Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:49 am

JulesK wrote:Hopefully both unconscious/dead before descent RIP.

AAIB says no to salvage of wreck due to length of time in sea !!! Which begs the question of why not salvage it at time of location? They had plant there, they had divers there, HATE it when some stuffed shirt comes out with the " we must think about tax payers money before these operations " FFS 2 men are dead!!!!!

Think reason why wont do it now us they know why it crashed and much easier just to use same model plane to find reason for dioxide getting into cockpit! But unless they clearly state this is reason they will be under pressure to raise plane .....tbh now they know reason why it happened there is not an overriding reason to raise it as pilot is not in wreck either..

Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:29 am

If the pilot was suffering from CO poisoning, where is he?
Was the front of the plane smashed apart so he could have been thrown out?

If he had a seat belt on then surely he would still be attached to the seat/plane structure.

I find it strange that Sala was still there but not the pilot.

I have not seen pictures of the plane so I do not know what state it was in, but did read that most of the plane is still in one piece, held together by wires.

I agree that the plane should now be lifted from the sea bed to fully study it.

Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:51 pm

JulesK wrote:Hopefully both unconscious/dead before descent RIP.

One is still 'presumed dead', JulesK :(

Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:38 pm

glas wrote:If the pilot was suffering from CO poisoning, where is he?
Was the front of the plane smashed apart so he could have been thrown out?

If he had a seat belt on then surely he would still be attached to the seat/plane structure.

I find it strange that Sala was still there but not the pilot.

I have not seen pictures of the plane so I do not know what state it was in, but did read that most of the plane is still in one piece, held together by wires.

I agree that the plane should now be lifted from the sea bed to fully study it.

I'm glad I am not the only one who found this a little strange :?: have seen the pics,and it looks pretty badly damaged ,and your point about if the pilot was indeed buckled in,he should still be with the wreckage :?: maybe he wasn't buckled up,and as you suggest,thrown from the plane on impact? ? Loads of unanswered questions remain,according to the rescue team,the plane was suprisingly intact ;) but weather at the time,prevented them from raising it if I remember correctly. :old: :bluebird: