Why have we stopped pulling in the same direction?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby maccydee » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:51 pm

What’s changed?

Just seems different this year. Warnock getting more stick. Lots of players getting more stick. The Reading performance. What’s occurring?
maccydee

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Why have we stopped pulling in the same direction?

Postby 2blue2handle » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:01 pm

maccydee wrote:What’s changed?

Just seems different this year. Warnock getting more stick. Lots of players getting more stick. The Reading performance. What’s occurring?

Expectations.
2blue2handle

Postby LiamD1991 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:12 pm

Fans getting carried away thinking we should be doing better. That year we overachieved massively. We are probably playing at our level now but many feel we should be performing better.
LiamD1991

Postby RICK+CCFC » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:44 pm

LiamD1991 wrote:Fans getting carried away thinking we should be doing better. That year we overachieved massively. We are probably playing at our level now but many feel we should be performing better.

Seven or eight months ago Neil Warnock was saying words to the effect that,,,, that if we went down from the Premiership, then we would bounce back, all the stronger, like Burnley did. All the stronger & better for our experiences.
What's come to pass since is highly disappointing to say the least. A poor summer transfer window followed by a poor start to the season, with arguably our shockingly worst result v Reading since NW arrived.
Yes,,, expectations were, and are still high, fuelled on, not least of all, by the rhetoric emanating from the CCS pre season.
Neil Warnock wanted to stay as manager, but did he say, at that time, that it would only be for one season?

I said in a previous post that; "The moment you stop getting better, then you start getting worse"!
RICK+CCFC

Postby phildavies » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:21 pm

Fans that only get intrested when we are prem sticking around for another season to moan. Combined with the big number of fans we have that are massively negative and only seem happy when we are failing so they can moan.
city till i die.............................................

Trying to combat the underrating of our own players and overestimating of other teams on this board
phildavies

Postby eddiep » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:29 pm

For me its the feeling of having my pants pulled down again.

We were told we were going to do a Burnley by the hierarchy of the club.

I bought into it.
Expecting and obtaining the relegation from the premier - job done.
Ensuring books remain balanced (ish), not breaking bank - job done.
Using the relegation windfall to sufficiently provide a quality spine and a strong squad to get promoted straight away and then stay in premier for more than one season - Not done- not even near.

As far as I can see, the fans pulled up this season (18,000 season tickets) but the club didn't

Who are the ones not pulling in the same direction???????

:bluescarf: :bluebird:
you reap what you sow
eddiep

Postby maccydee » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:01 pm

eddiep wrote:For me its the feeling of having my pants pulled down again.

I bought into it.
Using the relegation windfall to sufficiently provide a quality spine and a strong squad to get promoted straight away and then stay in premier for more than one season - Not done- not even near.

As far as I can see, the fans pulled up this season (18,000 season tickets) but the club didn't

We are 6 games in.
maccydee

Postby eddiep » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:34 pm

maccydee wrote:

I bought into it.

We are 6 games in.

Excellent Point

Fingers crossed for the season, I will never groan in stadium and stay after the end. Singing and supporting Warnock and the boys.
I do not settle for 'we are too small' or 'we have too high expectations' though.
Decent players, decent football, a few goals and a good academy - that's the direction we want...…..
Ambition and Pride in my club should not be confused with being plastic or a moaning tit.

Cardiff in Europe - what an outrageous thought!
yet the jacks did it and now wolves are doing it -
you reap what you sow
eddiep

Postby bluesince62 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:03 pm

phildavies wrote:Fans that only get intrested when we are prem sticking around for another season to moan. Combined with the big number of fans we have that are massively negative and only seem happy when we are failing so they can moan.

Well said phildavies, the negativity on here lately, is a tad embarrassing tbh. :ayatollah: :old: :bluebird:
bluesince62

Postby bluesince62 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:09 pm

I bought into it.

Maybe you need to wear a belt, then your pants will be firmly held in place :laughing6: sorry couldn't resist :laughing5: one thing my old man (rip)taught me is,"to expect the unexpected son,this is cardiff city after all" :lol: back in the 70's & 80's,he was convinced that he was a jinx :laughing5: :laughing5: and that's why we got beat most weeks,glad I have his sense of humour tbh,otherwise I might have packed it in myself :lol: :old: :bluebird:
bluesince62

Postby maccydee » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:27 pm

bluesince62 wrote:

I bought into it.

Maybe you need to wear a belt, then your pants will be firmly held in place :laughing6: sorry couldn't resist :laughing5: one thing my old man (rip)taught me is,"to expect the unexpected son,this is cardiff city after all" :lol: back in the 70's & 80's,he was convinced that he was a jinx :laughing5: :laughing5: and that's why we got beat most weeks,glad I have his sense of humour tbh,otherwise I might have packed it in myself :lol: :old: :bluebird:

I was nicknamed Jonah as I didn’t see us score for ages.
maccydee

Postby bluesince62 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:04 am

maccydee wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

I bought into it.

I was nicknamed Jonah as I didn’t see us score for ages.

Yes,but did you feel like one :idea: I swear he used to say (very regularly back then :x )"I knew I shouldn't have come,they'd have won if I stayed home"I even began to think he was right at times :laughing5: :laughing5: :old: :bluebird:
bluesince62

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:25 am

I don’t think a lot has changed to be honest except the expectations as Rick+CCFC pointed out quite clearly.

I hear you don’t go and watch City live (not having a go) but I’ve seen and heard very little negativity down at the stadium.

If you base your assumptions from this forum then there’s always the miserable, negative posters on here as soon as we lose or have a blip.
We all know who they are!

As you correctly say, we are only a few games in. Plenty of time to push on and get closer to and into the play off positions.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby Deep Blue FC » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:43 am

Not even expectations as previously stated. It’s more than that. It’s the 3-0 hammerings in both cup and league. It’s the constant use of long throws in the box that we’ve only ever scored when Bobby Reid scored once last season, other than that under Warnock I don’t recall any other goals, so it’s frustrating that Warnock isn’t seeing that. It’s other things too, loads of little things
Deep Blue FC

Postby LiamD1991 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:27 am

RICK+CCFC wrote:
LiamD1991 wrote:Fans getting carried away thinking we should be doing better. That year we overachieved massively. We are probably playing at our level now but many feel we should be performing better.

Seven or eight months ago Neil Warnock was saying words to the effect that,,,, that if we went down from the Premiership, then we would bounce back, all the stronger, like Burnley did. All the stronger & better for our experiences.
What's come to pass since is highly disappointing to say the least. A poor summer transfer window followed by a poor start to the season, with arguably our shockingly worst result v Reading since NW arrived.
Yes,,, expectations were, and are still high, fuelled on, not least of all, by the rhetoric emanating from the CCS pre season.
Neil Warnock wanted to stay as manager, but did he say, at that time, that it would only be for one season?

I said in a previous post that; "The moment you stop getting better, then you start getting worse"!

Think the Burnley idea is a great one and something to aim for - but to actually carry it out is incredibly difficult and takes years to do e.g. new training ground/academy whilst stabilising financially and remaining competitive. It’s an incredibly tough job to pull off and that’s highlighted by only Burnley being able to do it. Think as soon as people realise it’s a long term plan not a one season one then expectations will come down and we may start seeing fans enjoy it more. 5 years ago we were in disarray and I’m happy as long as we are going in the right direction - on and off the pitch no matter how long that may take.
LiamD1991

Postby JJ1927 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:13 pm

I bought into it.

Spot on. Trouble is, on this forum these days, such comments are regard by some as showing disloyalty and negativity rather than merely articulating the obvious.
JJ1927

Postby deadmouse » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:09 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:

I don’t think a lot has changed to be honest except the expectations as Rick+CCFC pointed out quite clearly.

I hear you don’t go and watch City live (not having a go) but I’ve seen and heard very little negativity down at the stadium.

If you base your assumptions from this forum then there’s always the miserable, negative posters on here as soon as we lose or have a blip.

As you correctly say, we are only a few games in. Plenty of time to push on and get closer to and into the play off positions.

its expectations , the more you get the more you want.
deadmouse

Postby BluebirdWhitchurch » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:19 pm

brexit
BluebirdWhitchurch

Postby maccydee » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:10 pm

I went to the Luton league game and it seemed like the fans were quite quick to get on the backs of the players which never helps.
maccydee

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:46 am

maccydee wrote:

I went to the Luton league game and it seemed like the fans were quite quick to get on the backs of the players which never helps.

There’s always a few idiots dotted around the stadium who jump on a player if he’s having a bad time or making a mistake or two instead of getting behind him. Being down there I haven’t noticed any fall out or criticism of Warnock etc.

I have a feeling if we don’t improve this will change though.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby deadmouse » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:01 am

maccydee wrote:

There’s always a few idiots dotted around the stadium who jump on a player if he’s having a bad time or making a mistake or two instead of getting behind him. Being down there I haven’t noticed any fall out or criticism of Warnock etc.

I have a feeling if we don’t improve this will change though.

coming out of the Magjeski { or whatever its called } the anti Warnock, Warnock must go chat was as bad as ive witnessed .. it has subsided since..
deadmouse

Postby BackToTheFuture » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:42 am

Seems pretty fair enough to me. I can't understand why he stayed on other than to pick up his pay, certainly makes no sense for the good of the club.

He has said he is off next season for sure, so Tan correctly didn't give him heaps of money to play with as the players he brought in may not be wanted next year when the new guy comes in. None of the players are playing for their future either as they know whatever happens, it's a fresh slate next season. Seems a wasted year to me.

But no doubt this opinion is completely shocking and only exists to wind you up... right?
Your obsessions will transform you into what you fear.
BackToTheFuture

Postby maccydee » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:09 pm

BackToTheFuture wrote:Seems pretty fair enough to me. I can't understand why he stayed on other than to pick up his pay, certainly makes no sense for the good of the club.

He has said he is off next season for sure, so Tan correctly didn't give him heaps of money to play with as the players he brought in may not be wanted next year when the new guy comes in. None of the players are playing for their future either as they know whatever happens, it's a fresh slate next season. Seems a wasted year to me.

But no doubt this opinion is completely shocking and only exists to wind you up... right?

Is a bit shocking.

He deserves a lot more respect than that.
maccydee

Postby BackToTheFuture » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:38 am

maccydee wrote:
BackToTheFuture wrote:Seems pretty fair enough to me. I can't understand why he stayed on other than to pick up his pay, certainly makes no sense for the good of the club.

Is a bit shocking.

He deserves a lot more respect than that.

Why is that disrespect? It is the situation isn’t it?
BackToTheFuture

Postby Escott1927 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:21 am

Or maybe it is because he is one of the most successful managers at getting teams promoted. Or maybe its because he got an average Cardiff side promoted on a low budget last time. Tan didn't give Warnock a lot of money to spend in the premier league so he was never going to get it this year. But don't let those simple facts cloud your impartial judgement on the club though.
Escott1927

Postby BackToTheFuture » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:38 am

Escott1927 wrote:
Or maybe it is because he is one of the most successful managers at getting teams promoted. Or maybe its because he got an average Cardiff side promoted on a low budget last time. Tan didn't give Warnock a lot of money to spend in the premier league so he was never going to get it this year. But don't let those simple facts cloud your impartial judgement on the club though.

I have always praised Warnock and openly said his record is fantastic. But I have also said that the lack of succession plan meant that this year will be an odd one, the club is almost in limbo in between plans. It will be looked upon as a wasted year when a clean break and the best opportunity to build a fresh was available. The Championship used to reward physicality, it doesn't anymore, its a very technical league and Warnock's tactics are outdated. It was poor foresight from the club in my opinion.
BackToTheFuture

Postby RV Casual » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:44 am

Yes, because he clearly needs the money and the stress after what he's been through over the last 9 months :laughing5:

Makes no sense for the good of the Club you say, well I beg to differ, the man who has the most Promotions in English Football and who's record in this division is nothing short of outstanding decided to give it one last shot, with us. I take that as a sign that he feel's something for the Club, actually, I know he does and the man definitely has the 'good of the Club' in his heart so again will take you're comments with a large pinch of salt.

And lastly, none of the players playing for their future :laughing5:, you don't half talk some shit, against Fulham we had a Goalkeeper that is fighting to show that he is good enough to keep the number 1 shirt. Peltier, Morrison and Bennett who are out and out professionals that will want to get back into the top division sooner rather than later for the good of their FUTURE, alongside Flint who after a tough time on Teeside wants to make his future better.

Tomlin is 100% playing for his future, if he messes this up his career is over. Whyte, Vaulkes and Patterson are desperate to play and prove a point with the Euros at the end of the season and the chance of Wales, NI and Scotland getting there.

Vassell is desperate to prove his doubters wrong and this is Glatzel's big change in English Football and he will be desperate to show he's up to it and with the chance of Warnock's successor coming from 'within' I'm fairly sure the players are playing for their future.

Its definitely silly season on here isn't it, we are 6 games in ffs :laughing5: lets review this at the end of May.
RV Casual

Postby 2blue2handle » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:08 pm

Another thread ruined by Roathie. Running out of thread to look at now as I wont get involved with ones he is ruining.

This board is almost becoming useless to me and others now with the roathie show. Why ban one name and not another. God forbid im going to have to look on the other board which is no doubt even worse :lol:
2blue2handle

Postby RV Casual » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:12 pm

BackToTheFuture wrote:
RV Casual wrote:

Yes, because he clearly needs the money and the stress after what he's been through over the last 9 months :laughing5:

Makes no sense for the good of the Club you say, well I beg to differ, the man who has the most Promotions in English Football and who's record in this division is nothing short of outstanding decided to give it one last shot, with us. I take that as a sign that he feel's something for the Club, actually, I know he does and the man definitely has the 'good of the Club' in his heart so again will take you're comments with a large pinch of salt.

And lastly, none of the players playing for their future :laughing5:, you don't half talk some shit, against Fulham we had a Goalkeeper that is fighting to show that he is good enough to keep the number 1 shirt. Peltier, Morrison and Bennett who are out and out professionals that will want to get back into the top division sooner rather than later for the good of their FUTURE, alongside Flint who after a tough time on Teeside wants to make his future better.

Tomlin is 100% playing for his future, if he messes this up his career is over. Whyte, Vaulkes and Patterson are desperate to play and prove a point with the Euros at the end of the season and the chance of Wales, NI and Scotland getting there.

Vassell is desperate to prove his doubters wrong and this is Glatzel's big change in English Football and he will be desperate to show he's up to it and with the chance of Warnock's successor coming from 'within' I'm fairly sure the players are playing for their future.

Its definitely silly season on here isn't it, we are 6 games in ffs :laughing5: lets review this at the end of May.

Not about needing the money so much as opposed to not wanting to turn down the promotion bonus carrot, Retirement is a great unknown too, lots of people put it off as they won't then know what to do with themselves.

Yes I do say at the expense of the club, yes his record is good but as I said above, there is no succession plan in place and time has moved on from when he garnered most of that reputation. The Championship is now heavily technical and hoofball just cannot compete as you are finding out against the technical sides.

Of course the players aren't going to be playing for their future. If they fall out of favour with Warnock then they just wait until the end of the season. Thats not to say everyone is going to play badly however. But if you think there is the same career repercussions playing badly in a side with a long term manager and one with a manager openly only there for the next 7 months or so then you are quite clearly barking up the wrong tree.

:laughing5: How do you know there is no succession plan in place then?

Sol Bamba could be involved in all signings and being lined up for the role or there could be someone in the shaddows that is being lined up to come in next August that is involved, it could be Blackwell, Jepson, Rowbery or even Bellamy who may have been told to 'disappear' for a bit, get some more experience and come back next summer. The point is I don't know and NEITHER DO YOU so please stop stating things you know NOTHING about like they are fact.

As for us struggling against technical sides, is this another joke? We have only played 6 games ffs and we drew with Fulham who are arguably the most technical side in the division, beat Huddersfield who are not exactly re-nowned for playing 'Hoofball' as you like to call it.

Who are these 'technical sides' that we are finding out we just can't compete with then :laughing5: , don't bother because aside from one bad day at the office against Reading (it happens to all sided) we are doing just fine :thumbup:

I would worry about your own tin pot side and pray to god you keep up you're early form or you are going to look very very silly.
RV Casual

Postby BackToTheFuture » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:32 pm

RV Casual wrote:
:laughing5: How do you know there is no succession plan in place then?

Sol Bamba could be involved in all signings and being lined up for the role or there could be someone in the shaddows that is being lined up to come in next August that is involved, it could be Blackwell, Jepson, Rowbery or even Bellamy who may have been told to 'disappear' for a bit, get some more experience and come back next summer. The point is I don't know and NEITHER DO YOU so please stop stating things you know NOTHING about like they are fact.

As for us struggling against technical sides, is this another joke? We have only played 6 games ffs and we drew with Fulham who are arguably the most technical side in the division, beat Huddersfield who are not exactly re-nowned for playing 'Hoofball' as you like to call it.

Who are these 'technical sides' that we are finding out we just can't compete with then :laughing5: , don't bother because aside from one bad day at the office against Reading (it happens to all sided) we are doing just fine :thumbup:

I would worry about your own tin pot side and pray to god you keep up you're early form or you are going to look very very silly.

Because common sense tells us there isn’t one. The next manager may not want this squad of players he is assembling, certainly not if he will need to change the style - as is likely. I think it is far fetched to think that Craig Bellamy is signing the players for Warnock to manage... don’t you?

No it isn’t a joke. You are quite clearly struggling against sides that play good attacking possession football, that style has always struggled against it. This is why the continental sides used to dominate European football. It’s only now since Man City and Liverpool have got continental managers and have adopted a technical base to their game do England now dominate European football. Technical play trumps long ball physicality over the long term every time. Football is moving on and the overspill from PL squads (minimum sized squads to be named) mean that the Championship is becoming incredibly strong.

We had Tammy Abraham playing in it last year and we have £30m+ worth of strikers just as our front 2. It’s a standard rarely seen previously and one that Warnock-ball for want of a better phrase just won’t compare to.

I have no worries about my “tin pot” side. We are doing the right things, employing the right people and seem to have a decent long term plan in place regardless of short term results.
BackToTheFuture

Next

Return to General Chat