Percentage of ground filled

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby luxy1970 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:17 pm

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foo ... y-16867412

What is the point of this. Obviously teams like luton with tiny grounds will be at the top
luxy1970

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Percentage of ground filled

Postby 2blue2handle » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:39 pm

Yeah it's a bit odd.
2blue2handle

Postby pembroke allan » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:46 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Yeah it's a bit odd.

Not really ccs capacity is 35k if only 21k go its % of capacity is lower than a ground with say 20k capacity and 15k fans attending it's a useless stat thats for sure!
Had this conversation previously and doesnt prove anything really....:old:
pembroke allan

Postby Isawgarystevensscoreagoal » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:04 pm

Leeds and Forrest have big grounds.

No news in article, typical wales online tripe.
Isawgarystevensscoreagoal

Postby pembroke allan » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:10 pm

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:Leeds and Forrest have big grounds.

No news in article, typical wales online tripe.

Yes not sure why done it as like said doesnt take anything into account like ground size :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby JJ1927 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:17 pm

What a stupid, pointless article.
JJ1927

Postby pembroke allan » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:50 pm

JJ1927 wrote:What a stupid, pointless article.

Was funny last time this subject was on here as having higher percentage attendance was better than having bigger crowds for some! :laughing6:
pembroke allan

Postby BackToTheFuture » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:54 pm

Because often the emptier the capacity the worse the atmosphere. Not always of course but certainly a general rule.

There is rarely a ground 50% full that has a better atmosphere than one 100% full regardless of if the 50% actually represents more ticket sales.
Your obsessions will transform you into what you fear.
BackToTheFuture

Postby HarriRhys22 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:13 pm

So little clubs like Bournemouth,Luton and the Jacks who invest all their money in players rather than increasing the capacity of their stadium because they know they haven’t got the fan base are top of this League? Doesn’t make sense, to be a Premier League you should have a 30k Stadium minimum?
HarriRhys22

Postby Fusilier52 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:43 pm

HarriRhys22 wrote:So little clubs like Bournemouth,Luton and the Jacks who invest all their money in players rather than increasing the capacity of their stadium because they know they haven’t got the fan base are top of this League? Doesn’t make sense, to be a Premier League you should have a 30k Stadium minimum?
and if a Club cannot sustain PL football would that still apply , I remember the new stand being closed due to the fall in attendances . 20 to 30k stadiums for Swansea & Cardiff is ample.Once a Club gets established in the PL then it makes sense to expand but neither have managed that so far.
Fusilier52

Postby BackToTheFuture » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:24 pm

HarriRhys22 wrote:So little clubs like Bournemouth,Luton and the Jacks who invest all their money in players rather than increasing the capacity of their stadium because they know they haven’t got the fan base are top of this League? Doesn’t make sense, to be a Premier League you should have a 30k Stadium minimum?

If Luton expanded to 30,000... they still won’t be a big club as half that stadium would be empty and the atmosphere rubbish.

A bit like the CCS when the PL ST sales disappear. You average about 16,000 in that scenario. That figure would put you in 21st place with 48% and see you slotted just above Wigan.
BackToTheFuture

Postby Escott1927 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:54 am

BackToTheFuture wrote:

If Luton expanded to 30,000... they still won’t be a big club as half that stadium would be empty and the atmosphere rubbish.

A bit like the CCS when the PL ST sales disappear. You average about 16,000 in that scenario. That figure would put you in 21st place with 48% and see you slotted just above Wigan.

Here she goes again. You know when a jack starts talking about ground percentages that they are getting desperate. Cardiff currently have the 7th highest average attendance in the league filling 70% of the ground and Swansea are 14th filling 78% of the ground. 70% of 33,000 or 78% of 20,000, I know which one id prefer. That’s with 1 Saturday game so far and one game being on tv as well.

I don’t think a Swansea can talk about atmosphere either. Cardiff have never had to play crowd noise through speakers to create an atmosphere. And that was in the premier league with the stadium near enough at capacity. Now that is truly embarrassing! :lol:
Escott1927

Postby BackToTheFuture » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:03 am

Escott1927 wrote:Here she goes again. You know when a jack starts talking about ground percentages that they are getting desperate. Cardiff currently have the 7th highest average attendance in the league filling 70% of the ground and Swansea are 14th filling 78% of the ground. 70% of 33,000 or 78% of 20,000, I know which one id prefer. That’s with 1 Saturday game so far and one game being on tv as well.

I don’t think a Swansea can talk about atmosphere either. Cardiff have never had to play crowd noise through speakers to create an atmosphere. And that was in the premier league with the stadium near enough at capacity. Now that is truly embarrassing! :lol:

I didn't create the thread or indeed the study in question. I am joining in a discussion already underway, what I have said here is common sense.

You don't have the 7th highest attendance, you have the 7th highest statistical attendance - they is a clear difference due to ST sales while in the PL. Annis who is one of the biggest Cardiff fans I know, guessed the announced attendance to be 22,000 the other day with the actual attendance being 17,500 (or something to that effect), that's a 20% difference.

So give me 15,000 and 75% full over 18,000 and 48% full any day. No question.

In terms of atmosphere and support we were regularly in the top half of the polls while in the PL, you guys were always bottom 5.

Cardiff 18th/20

https://www.90min.com/posts/6197844-bri ... atmosphere
BackToTheFuture

Postby BackToTheFuture » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:08 am

Same source that ranked you 18th. We were ranked 4th in terms of PL atmosphere:-

https://talksport.com/football/339906/r ... orst-best/

All my opinions are backed up, cited and laced with common sense. It really is futile to attempt to suggest they aren't, I'm sure people will learn. :D
BackToTheFuture

Postby Escott1927 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:42 am

BackToTheFuture wrote:Same source that ranked you 18th. We were ranked 4th in terms of PL atmosphere:-

All my opinions are backed up, cited and laced with common sense. It really is futile to attempt to suggest they aren't, I'm sure people will learn. :D

Haha you can see when you become desperate as you feel the need to post links. Too easy. I wouldn’t read too much into those rankings either. I’ve been to the majority of the grounds on there and can tell you the rankings don’t hold much value. Palace, they give it a good go but it’s a very small section of the ground that actually makes much noise. But then again, it’s easier to make more noise in a poxy little stadium.

The thread was created and quickly dismissed by everyone as a pointless stat. You were the one who started talking about attendances and atmospheres. You might not have named teams but you were clearly referring to Cardiff and Swansea. I’ll sure you’ll deny that as well, as you usually do. You opinion was also nonsense by the way. Arsenal and Chelsea, two big grounds at full capacity, were probably the worst grounds I’ve been to in terms of atmosphere. It was non-existent. The Majority of fans (not just Cardiff fans) that actually attend games, I’m guessing you don’t, would agree with me on that. So your opinion that a higher % automatically means a better atmosphere is well wide of the mark and not common sense at all.

So far this season our home attendance (on average) is officially the 7th highest in the league. Regardless of season ticket sales from last season, that is a fact. All teams include season ticket sales in match day attendances regardless if they attend or not, so realistically all the values stated would be lower.

I’ll just leave you with the this link before I leave the thread:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thes ... e-alli/amp

Top atmosphere sure. Truly embarrassing.
Escott1927

Postby BackToTheFuture » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:44 am

Escott1927 wrote:
BackToTheFuture wrote:Same source that ranked you 18th. We were ranked 4th in terms of PL atmosphere:-

Haha you can see when you become desperate as you feel the need to post links. Too easy. I wouldn’t read too much into those rankings either. I’ve been to the majority of the grounds on there and can tell you the rankings don’t hold much value. Palace, they give it a good go but it’s a very small section of the ground that actually makes much noise. But then again, it’s easier to make more noise in a poxy little stadium.

The thread was created and quickly dismissed by everyone as a pointless stat. You were the one who started talking about attendances and atmospheres. You might not have named teams but you were clearly referring to Cardiff and Swansea. I’ll sure you’ll deny that as well, as you usually do. You opinion was also nonsense by the way. Arsenal and Chelsea, two big grounds at full capacity, were probably the worst grounds I’ve been to in terms of atmosphere. It was non-existent. The Majority of fans (not just Cardiff fans) that actually attend games, I’m guessing you don’t, would agree with me on that. So your opinion that a higher % automatically means a better atmosphere is well wide of the mark and not common sense at all.

So far this season our home attendance (on average) is officially the 7th highest in the league. Regardless of season ticket sales from last season, that is a fact. All teams include season ticket sales in match day attendances regardless if they attend or not, so realistically all the values stated would be lower.

And I quote...

''Haha you can see when you become desperate as you feel the need to post links''....

''I’ll just leave you with the this link .....'' :laughing6: :laughing6:

It's common sense that a fuller ground generally lends itself to a better atmosphere. You are just dismissing it because you aren't doing well in such stats.

the footballing community seem to really rate our PL atmosphere, we are consistently in the top 10 as I showed (top 3 there) where as you are always in the bottom 5. I am guessing why you seem to have taken this to heart?
BackToTheFuture

Postby BackToTheFuture » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:52 am

Also in your response to claiming I said that the higher the % the better the atmosphere... that's not actually what I said was it? And I quote:-

''Because often the emptier the capacity the worse the atmosphere. Not always of course but certainly a general rule.''

It seems you tend to have a reputation for poor atmosphere judging by all the polls, where as we have a reputation for good atmosphere. So with that considered there is nothing to suggest that you are an exception to the rule above. I cant be fairer than that.
BackToTheFuture

Postby Escott1927 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:10 am

BackToTheFuture wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:

And I quote...

''Haha you can see when you become desperate as you feel the need to post links''....

''I’ll just leave you with the this link .....'' :laughing6: :laughing6:

It's common sense that a fuller ground generally lends itself to a better atmosphere. You are just dismissing it because you aren't doing well in such stats.

the footballing community seem to really rate our PL atmosphere, we are consistently in the top 10 as I showed (top 3 there) where as you are always in the bottom 5. I am guessing why you seem to have taken this to heart?

I posted the link to take the piss. Obviously went straight over your head. Along with most facts so it seems.

I would still take larger attendances over a higher ground filled % any day. As would most sensible people.

Enjoy your day in your cave.
Escott1927

Postby BackToTheFuture » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:17 am

Of course you did :lol:

Nope, most people would take 75% of ground filled and a better atmosphere than 48% of ground filled and worse atmosphere for 2,000-ish extra people. That much is once again very obvious.
BackToTheFuture

Postby Escott1927 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:10 pm

BackToTheFuture wrote:Of course you did :lol:

Nope, most people would take 75% of ground filled and a better atmosphere than 48% of ground filled and worse atmosphere for 2,000-ish extra people. That much is once again very obvious.

They are unofficial figures so you can play with them as much as you want.

But using the 15,000 and 18,000 figures you have used, that 3000 difference equates to 20% of your average. Pretty substantial amount. So again, a sensible fan would prefer a significant increase in attendance over a higher %. More fans more money. Pretty obvious.

:wave:
Escott1927

Postby BackToTheFuture » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:03 pm

Escott1927 wrote:
BackToTheFuture wrote:Of course you did :lol:

They are unofficial figures so you can play with them as much as you want.

But using the 15,000 and 18,000 figures you have used, that 3000 difference equates to 20% of your average. Pretty substantial amount. So again, a sensible fan would prefer a significant increase in attendance over a higher %. More fans more money. Pretty obvious.

:wave:

It’s not significant, it’s 2000-3000. I don’t know any genuine football fan that would take that in exchange for a massive dip in atmosphere.

3000 fans at £400 a pop is about £900k after tax, or Andre Ayews salary for 15 weeks.... I’d prefer to keep the atmosphere :D
BackToTheFuture

Return to General Chat