Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

City let him go & he has been outstanding in the Championshi

Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:45 pm

The Sheffield Wednesday summer transfer decision that might have backfired for Cardiff City

The Bluebirds let winger Kadeem Harris went for free in the summer and had started every game and so far been outstanding.

By Glen Williams

Thursday 10th October 2019

The Bluebirds let winger Kadeem Harris go for free in the summer.

With 11 Championship games already under our belts, it is easier to get a bearing on this Cardiff City side.

While some areas of the squad have flourished and are in a position of strength, others are becoming a glaring problem.

One large issue for manager Neil Warnock is the left-hand side.

Warnock was a huge admirer of Kadeem Harris, but he felt, for the good of the player, he had to leave to get some regular game time.

And that is exactly what he has got. After seven years in the Welsh capital, Harris made the switch to Sheffield Wednesday on a free transfer and hasn't looked back.

He has become a key man for the Owls, a title he could never truly nail down for the Bluebirds.

Harris is one of just two players to have started every match for Wednesday, a testament to how important Garry Monk believes him to be to the team.

They currently sit in eighth after an impressive start to their Championship campaign and Harris has been a crucial cog in the wheel, scoring two and setting up another.

It begs the question then, should he have gained that recognition at Cardiff? And were City wrong to let him go?

City are likely to face him next Friday at Cardiff City Stadium, but in the meantime, we asked the Sheffield Wednesday expert for his thoughts...

Dominick Howson – Sheffield Wednesday correspondent for the Sheffield Star.

How he has started?

Kadeem Harris has been one of Wednesday's standout performers this season.

He has produced a string of fine performances on the left wing, weighing in with two goals and a number of assists.

His pace, direct style of play and fearlessness in possession has endeared him to Wednesdayites and terrorised many full-backs.

How he is viewed by the fans and the manager?

The supporters have really taken to Harris. The Owls had been crying out for someone like Harris for years. He is exciting and gives their attack an extra dimension. On his day, Harris is unplayable.

Boss Garry Monk sees Harris as a major part of his long-term plans and believes there is more to come from the 26-year-old. It is still early days in Monk's reign but Harris has already shown his versatility in playing on the left in a 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 formations.

Opponents are so wary of Harris' ability on the ball that they are now doubling up on him in an attempt to deny him time and space to weave his magic.

Do you think Cardiff were silly to let him go?

Harris has bags of talent and looks a dangerous customer at this level so I am surprised that Cardiff let him go for nothing in the summer.

He has fitted in seamlessly with the rest of the squad and his best years should be in front of him.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: City let him go & he has been outstanding in the Champio

Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:06 pm

We were 100% right to let him go at the time. He did nothing in his appearances for us over 3 or 4 seasons to make me think otherwise.
A one trick pony with no end product was well down the pecking order of our wingers and IMHO still would be.
Good on the posters who predicted he'd do well as he certainly has. How long it lasts remains to be seen.
Hindsight and all that. :bluescarf:

Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:30 pm

Forever Blue wrote:The Sheffield Wednesday summer transfer decision that might have backfired for Cardiff City

The Bluebirds let winger Kadeem Harris went for free in the summer and had started every game and so far been outstanding.

By Glen Williams

Thursday 10th October 2019

The Bluebirds let winger Kadeem Harris go for free in the summer.

With 11 Championship games already under our belts, it is easier to get a bearing on this Cardiff City side.

While some areas of the squad have flourished and are in a position of strength, others are becoming a glaring problem.

One large issue for manager Neil Warnock is the left-hand side.

Warnock was a huge admirer of Kadeem Harris, but he felt, for the good of the player, he had to leave to get some regular game time.

And that is exactly what he has got. After seven years in the Welsh capital, Harris made the switch to Sheffield Wednesday on a free transfer and hasn't looked back.

He has become a key man for the Owls, a title he could never truly nail down for the Bluebirds.

Harris is one of just two players to have started every match for Wednesday, a testament to how important Garry Monk believes him to be to the team.

They currently sit in eighth after an impressive start to their Championship campaign and Harris has been a crucial cog in the wheel, scoring two and setting up another.

It begs the question then, should he have gained that recognition at Cardiff? And were City wrong to let him go?

City are likely to face him next Friday at Cardiff City Stadium, but in the meantime, we asked the Sheffield Wednesday expert for his thoughts...

Dominick Howson – Sheffield Wednesday correspondent for the Sheffield Star.

How he has started?

Kadeem Harris has been one of Wednesday's standout performers this season.

He has produced a string of fine performances on the left wing, weighing in with two goals and a number of assists.

His pace, direct style of play and fearlessness in possession has endeared him to Wednesdayites and terrorised many full-backs.

How he is viewed by the fans and the manager?

The supporters have really taken to Harris. The Owls had been crying out for someone like Harris for years. He is exciting and gives their attack an extra dimension. On his day, Harris is unplayable.

Boss Garry Monk sees Harris as a major part of his long-term plans and believes there is more to come from the 26-year-old. It is still early days in Monk's reign but Harris has already shown his versatility in playing on the left in a 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 formations.

Opponents are so wary of Harris' ability on the ball that they are now doubling up on him in an attempt to deny him time and space to weave his magic.

Do you think Cardiff were silly to let him go?

Harris has bags of talent and looks a dangerous customer at this level so I am surprised that Cardiff let him go for nothing in the summer.

He has fitted in seamlessly with the rest of the squad and his best years should be in front of him.

I prefer him to Murphy personally

Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:50 pm

knew this would be about Kadeem Harris even before clicking on it

Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:08 pm

Bluebird1990 wrote:knew this would be about Kadeem Harris even before clicking on it

i thought Ajiyi personally.

Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:37 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:We were 100% right to let him go at the time. He did nothing in his appearances for us over 3 or 4 seasons to make me think otherwise.
A one trick pony with no end product was well down the pecking order of our wingers and IMHO still would be.
Good on the posters who predicted he'd do well as he certainly has. How long it lasts remains to be seen.

I cant remember a single game he let us down. He always tried and for the most played well when given a chance. We made a mistake letting him go on a free.
I dont understand why we let him go free and spent £3mill on Whyte personally who is not as good.

Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:54 pm

thomasblue wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:We were 100% right to let him go at the time. He did nothing in his appearances for us over 3 or 4 seasons to make me think otherwise.

I cant remember a single game he let us down. He always tried and for the most played well when given a chance. We made a mistake letting him go on a free.
I dont understand why we let him go free and spent £3mill on Whyte personally who is not as good.

Whyte is far better crosser of the ball and as set up lots chances which unfortunately we squander ! Harris was only average at best and dont think did enough to warrant regular starts

Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:57 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
thomasblue wrote:

Whyte is far better crosser of the ball and as set up lots chances which unfortunately we squander ! Harris was only average at best and dont think did enough to warrant regular starts

I cant remember whyte ever getting the chance to cross the ball, he either runs it out of play or turns back to his full back.
To be honest I think crossing is Whytes big weakness

Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:10 pm

thomasblue wrote:

Each to their own mate.
I thought he was a constant let down who promised lots but delivered very little.

Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:14 pm

thomasblue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
thomasblue wrote:

I cant remember whyte ever getting the chance to cross the ball, he either runs it out of play or turns back to his full back.
To be honest I think crossing is Whytes big weakness

Shows I must sleep through games ? Thought he was ok :laughing6:

Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:15 pm

Kareem Harris was rightly let go and since he joined in 2011 he has made a staggering 79 appearances, scored 7 goals and has 7 managers.
Whyte is a much better footballer both going forward and defending and has potential to only get better with City :bluebird:

Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:15 pm

How many 90 minute games was harris given, murphy to me was well over priced and blows hot and cold as for lang he has gone awol

Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:19 pm

montyblue wrote:How many 90 minute games was harris given, murphy to me was well over priced and blows hot and cold as for lang he has gone awol

Don’t disagree with your comment on Murphy but NML was certainly not ‘off the boil’ when KH was sold.
Like I said, hindsight and all that.

Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:21 pm

I don't ever remember a single thread on here over the years with anybody suggesting Kadeem should be in the team or disgruntled threads about why he wasn't getting more of a chance.

Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:29 pm

TBH I don't think we should let anyone go ,just in case they come back and bite us ;)

Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:15 pm

RV Casual wrote:I don't ever remember a single thread on here over the years with anybody suggesting Kadeem should be in the team or disgruntled threads about why he wasn't getting more of a chance.

Exactly.

Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:15 pm

:lol: :notworthy:
nojac wrote:TBH I don't think we should let anyone go ,just in case they come back and bite us ;)

Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:20 pm

I say god luck to the boy. Did a job for CCFC when asked and sat and waited when not. Personallly I always thought he was a great proffesional.

Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:36 pm

RV Casual wrote:I don't ever remember a single thread on here over the years with anybody suggesting Kadeem should be in the team or disgruntled threads about why he wasn't getting more of a chance.

Well, I said it on many occasion, even when he was shining in the u23's,really don't know why it never clicked for him here,and said he would shine for Wednesday, the one player I regret we let go for nowt, the other we sorely miss is Manga. But no good crying over spilt milk as they say. :old: :bluebird:

Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:55 am

bluesince62 wrote:

Well, I said it on many occasion, even when he was shining in the u23's,really don't know why it never clicked for him here,and said he would shine for Wednesday, the one player I regret we let go for nowt, the other we sorely miss is Manga. But no good crying over spilt milk as they say. :old: :bluebird:

I’m sure we had something for Mamga. A few million and as it was his last year and he wasn’t going to resign, the club took the offer.

Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:49 am

Bluebird1990 wrote:knew this would be about Kadeem Harris even before clicking on it

Well there wasn't many other options

Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:02 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
thomasblue wrote:

Whyte is much better in his all round game.

Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:53 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

I’m sure we had something for Mamga. A few million and as it was his last year and he wasn’t going to resign, the club took the offer.

Sorry,wasn't clear on Manga, I know we got a few Mil for him,plus he wanted to go back home, signed an extension for one year,so as we could get a fee.I meant the one player that left for nowt I regret leaving was Harris. :thumbup: :old: :bluebird:

Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:45 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

Sorry,wasn't clear on Manga, I know we got a few Mil for him,plus he wanted to go back home, signed an extension for one year,so as we could get a fee.I meant the one player that left for nowt I regret leaving was Harris. :thumbup: :old: :bluebird:[/quo

Ah right. I read it again and see what you mean. You were clear mate.