Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BREAKING: ‘ CARDIFF FACE THREE- WINDOW TRANSFER BAN ‘

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:30 pm

UPDATE:

Sky Sports

FIFA HAVE GIVEN CARDIFF CITY 45 DAYS TO PAY NANTES THE FIRST INSTALMENT OF £5.3MILL OR FACE A THREE TRANSFER WINDOW BAN FOR NON PAYMENT OF THE EMILIANO SALA TRANSFER FEE.

My View:
From day one we should of paid the first instalment and if you read all this, Cardiff should pay up and are in the wrong, our own fault.
Emiliano Sala was a Cardiff City player.
We have made ourselves look awful.
We don’t have to pay Agents so 3mill would be deducted.
Once again City have spent fortunes on trying to get out of paying what they owe and if you read the decision, it was Cardiff’s fault on the paper work anyway.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=204226 :cry:

Updated :
Sky News: Cardiff face transfer ban if they don’t pay the first a after Cardiff lost their appeal.

Exclusive: Cardiff City face three-window transfer ban if they fail to comply with Fifa ruling on Emiliano Sala transfer fee

Monday 4th November 2019

Daily Telegraph

Cardiff City wanted Fifa to hold Nantes “liable” over the death of Emiliano Sala, the Daily Telegraph can reveal.

A month after telling the Welsh club to hand over the first instalment of Sala’s £15million transfer fee to Nantes, the governing body has issued the grounds for its decision in the bitter row over who owned the striker when he was killed in a plane crash in January.

Seen by this newspaper, those grounds also reveal that Cardiff face a three-window transfer ban if they continue to refuse to pay or otherwise fail to overturn a September ruling by Fifa’s Players’ Status Committee (PSC) .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ‘ CARDIFF FACE THREE- WINDOW TRANSFER BAN ‘

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:35 pm

The grounds confirm the four-strong PSC of chairman Raymond Hack, Roy Vermeer, Anna Peniche and Castellar Guimaraes Neto “decided not to take into account any arguments brought forward by Cardiff in front of Fifa in relation to the circumstances surrounding the tragic passing of the player”.

Those arguments included that Nantes be held “liable for the damages” caused to them by the death of Sala, whose fatal flight was booked by Willie McKay, the former agent and bankrupt who helped broker the Argentinian’s transfer to Cardiff and whose son, Mark, had been contracted by the French club to find a buyer.

The Welsh side contended that these damages should amount to the £15m transfer fee plus conditional bonus payments of up to £1.8m, thereby rendering Nantes’ own claim void.

The grounds read: “Cardiff maintained that, by hiring an unlicensed aircraft and employing an unlicensed and inexperienced pilot for the player’s flight of 19 January 2019, Mr Willie McKay and his company had grossly failed in their duty of care. This alleged negligence resulted in the crash of the aircraft that caused the player’s decease. Consequently, according to Cardiff, the individuals involved in the flight operations should be deemed directly responsible for the damage suffered by Cardiff, which includes, but is not limited to, the player’s market value as Premier League forward at the time of his decease.”

McKay has repeatedly stated he had no input into the selection of the relevant pilot or plane, which he booked via experienced light-aircraft pilot David Henderson.

Henderson was arrested in June on suspicion of manslaughter before being released on bail.

In its own submission to Fifa, Nantes disputed Cardiff’s interpretation of a French law which the Welsh club contended made them civilly liable for the actions of McKay.

The PSC also snubbed a request by Cardiff for its proceedings to be suspended pending the outcome of the criminal and civil investigations into the death of Sala – who would have turned 29 last week had he lived – and any legal action they might take as a result.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:36 pm

The grounds read: “Even though the circumstances surrounding the player’s tragic passing in a plane accident may activate criminal proceedings and civil actions regarding Nantes’ possible liability before local courts, the bureau was of the opinion that those proceedings should be settled by the local courts and not by Fifa. If the local courts would determine any criminal or civil liability on the side of Nantes, it is also for the local courts to determine the consequences of such liability. The bureau held that Cardiff had not been able to prove that the outcome of those local proceedings would be relevant for the outcome of the dispute pertaining to whether or not a transfer fee is due.”

Having refused to take the circumstances of Sala’s death into account, the PSC’s decision was based solely on whether his transfer was completed before he was killed.

It dismissed Cardiff’s contention that the fact his employment contract was rejected by the Premier League over a front-loaded signing-on fee – and that he died before a revised one could be put in front of him – should void the move.

The grounds read: “The only reason why the contract was not approved was an omission of Cardiff itself.”

The panel also rejected the club’s argument that clauses in the transfer agreement they struck with Nantes remained unfulfilled, ruling that the transaction had been concluded when the Football Association of Wales “entered all the necessary requirements” into its Transfer Matching System at 5.30pm on January 21, which was less than two hours before Sala’s fatal flight took off from Nantes.

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:42 pm

The grounds read: “The player’s transfer from Nantes to Cardiff has to be considered as validly concluded between the parties. Hence, the player was a player of Cardiff.”

The Welsh club were given 45 days from the moment Nantes provided them with bank details to pay the French club an initial £5.3m, plus any interest accrued since January.

They were warned failure to comply would result in a transfer ban “for the maximum duration of three entire and consecutive registration periods”.

Cardiff declined to comment on Sunday night on the grounds for Fifa’s decision but a source close to the club told the Telegraph they disputed its findings and were concerned by what appeared a failure to account for the fact the transfer agreement was to be interpreted in accordance with English and Welsh law.

Re: BREAKING: ‘ CARDIFF FACE THREE- WINDOW TRANSFER BAN ‘

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:45 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=204226

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:55 pm

Reply FB

Dean Freeman:
Maybe a good thing for City in that we have to get some young uns in.
Agree though that we should have paid up on day 1.

Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:01 pm

There are over 200 posts like these today on fb and thousands viewing.

Reply FB:

Michael Dourninng:

You can't mourn the player like Cardiff did then refuse to pay up just a fraction of the fee just shows how money controls football should do the right thing and just let the family move on I think they have suffered enough

Neil McMillan:

Such a sad end to this, really poor by Cardiff.

Benjamin Reece:

As a Cardiff Fan , we Celebrated and paraded him as ours and then mourned him as ours! Just pay up and move on! so embarrassing.

Geraint Handley:

We should have just paid up! He was our player until it came to paying. Poor form by the city

Warren Lewis:

City should just pay up these windows could cost us dearly annis and result in us going back into league 1 or 2

David Pearce:

Once again very poor by the owners of our club and insulting to the name of Cardiff City

Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:05 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Reply FB

Dean Freeman:

Pretty stupid thing we have done at this rate no player will want to play for us anyway

We should be bringing young hungry players in any way !! We have a severe lack of producing quality youngsters to match the quality of football we play

Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:12 pm

RageJon wrote:

Dean Freeman:

Pretty stupid thing we have done at this rate no player will want to play for us anyway

We should be bringing young hungry players in any way !! We have a severe lack of producing quality youngsters to match the quality of football we play

Why would not player want to play for us :lol: pretty stupid.

I don't see it being an issue, no doubt City will pay once appealed.

Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:14 pm

Have a read:

Your missing the point:

Sala was our player end off.

Plus the mistake on paper work to the Premier League, was totally our fault.

Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:21 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
RageJon wrote:

Dean Freeman:

We should have paid straight to keep our Integrity.
Now once again we are being labbled as dishonest and not keeping to agreements !! Perfect reasons for clubs not to want to loan to us and valuable reason we wont get any decent potential in the squad that we desperately need.

Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:21 pm

Agree with you Annis, we should have just paid it and should now.

If there was a legal reason why we didn't have to then FIFA would have found it.

Expect the appeal at CAS will lose, and I hope the club can just admit defeat there.

I feel sorry for the family over all of this.

Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:22 pm

Cardiff City face a three-window transfer ban if they fail to pay Nantes the first instalment of the £15m fee for striker Emiliano Sala.

BBC

Monday 3rd November 2019

Sala, 28, died in a plane crash in January while travelling from France to join his new club.

Fifa has released the full reasons for its September ruling ordering Cardiff to pay the first 6m euros (£5.3m).

Cardiff will lodge an appeal against the decision in the next two weeks to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

The Championship club have argued they were not liable for any of the fee because the Argentine was not officially their player when he died.

The world governing body's players' status committee (PSC) ruled Cardiff must pay the sum "corresponding to the first instalment due" in the transfer agreement and rejected the Welsh club's arguments on a variety of grounds.

The PSC report reveals Cardiff had sought to delay Fifa's judgement until possible civil and criminal proceedings, as well as an Air Accident Investigation Bureau investigation had been concluded.

They also argued Nantes would be "liable" for damages to them over the fatal flight, which was booked by Willie McKay and his son Mark, who was employed by the French club, to find a buyer for the player.

McKay has denied any involvement in the selection of the plane or pilot, Dave Ibbotson, whose body was never recovered.

The committee report says: "The members of the Bureau decided not to take into account any arguments brought forward by Cardiff in front of Fifa in relation to the circumstances surrounding the tragic passing of the player."

The PSC dismissed Cardiff's claim that Sala's employment with Nantes had not been terminated.

And they also rejected Cardiff's contention the transfer was not fully completed, saying the Football Association of Wales had undertaken "all the necessary requirements" less than two hours before Sala's flight left Nantes.

The report said: "The player's transfer from Nantes to Cardiff has to be considered as validly concluded between the parties, hence the player was a player of Cardiff."

The PSC makes it clear this judgement relates only to the initial payment of the transfer fee and not to further instalments, which are due in January 2020 and January 2021.

Cardiff were allowed 45 days from the moment Nantes provided them with bank details to pay the French club an initial £5.3m, plus interest accrued since January.

The report also said: "The Bureau finds it regrettable that the dispute could not be settled amicably."

Cardiff have refused to comment on exact details of the PSC findings, but have reiterated their intention to challenge the decision at the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

BBC Wales Sport has learned the appeal has to be lodged in the next two weeks.

The plane carrying Sala and pilot Ibbotson, 59, crashed in the English Channel on 21 January, two days after the player's transfer was announced.

Sala was exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide prior to the crash, a report later revealed.

Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:24 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Agree with you Annis, we should have just paid it and should now.

If there was a legal reason why we didn't have to then FIFA would have found it.

Expect the appeal at CAS will lose, and I hope the club can just admit defeat there.

They never looked at a legal reason if you read the article, thats the whole cardiff case and why its going to cas

Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:26 pm

wez1927 wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:Agree with you Annis, we should have just paid it and should now.

They never looked at a legal reason if you read the article, thats the whole cardiff case and why its going to cas

Besides Fifa are hardly trust worthy as corrupt as they come.

Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:26 pm

Ned,

From day one I said we should have paid and it’s a Disgrace, I was told Sala was officially registered as our player and City were trying to get out of it because of their failure to register Sala as a Premier Player And because of his tragic death.
I can’t believe anyone would still argue we should not pay.

Also it was bad enough our club told the world for 4 weeks Sala was our player.

Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:33 pm

What an embarrassing club and embarrassment to Wales

Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:34 pm

That's the most horrific thing with this is that the Family are suffering and having to have this coming up regular.
Cant imagine what there going through with the passing of his father also

Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:37 pm

RageJon wrote:

That's the most horrific thing with this is that the Family are suffering and having to have this coming up regular.
Cant imagine what there going through with the passing of his father also

Jon,

Sadly spot on, this is also tragic for Emiliano Sala’s family, they don’t need all this prolonged agony.

Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:07 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Yep an awful organisation.

Nothing coming put of FIFA should be honoured. I'm not really sure CAS is an honourable setup but you have to draw the line somewhere. I'm expecting this to go against us.

Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:10 pm

Proud Jack wrote:What an embarrassing club and embarrassment to Wales

Pxxx off and thats being polite :twisted:

Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:15 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Nothing coming put of FIFA should be honoured. I'm not really sure CAS is an honourable setup but you have to draw the line somewhere. I'm expecting this to go against us.

Depends what the contract is none of us have seen it

Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:45 pm

It’s like someone with £50,000 not paying a £500 bill. It’s ridiculous Tan has enough money just pay what he owes as this will have implications to him as a trusted businessman and us as a club trying to attract players.

Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:56 pm

rhyswales wrote:It’s like someone with £50,000 not paying a £500 bill. It’s ridiculous Tan has enough money just pay what he owes as this will have implications to him as a trusted businessman and us as a club trying to attract players.

Apparently he is presently worth around £700m, so I guess £15m is a bit more than loose change to him. I expect the reason he has so much money is because he has been careful over the years, and has been very astute with his business dealings. Easy for us on here to say pay up, especially as it's not our money. I have a feeling he will probably have to pay in the end, but I assume his legal team think otherwise.

Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:26 pm

Can some of you who just want hand £15 m over lend me a few quid please?
'** clubs won't do business with us **, * clubs won't loan us players **. Etc etc, what a load of crap !! Does anyone actually believe that if a club want shot of someone they won't sell to us if we're interested?

PS. Proud jack...... You stupid comments are unhelpful.

Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:27 pm

rhyswales wrote:It’s like someone with £50,000 not paying a £500 bill. It’s ridiculous Tan has enough money just pay what he owes as this will have implications to him as a trusted businessman and us as a club trying to attract players.

But its the club that bought player not tan even though he's owner ect ect! As been said before would you pay someone money if didn't have to? It hasn't affected signings since it happened. :old:

Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:41 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

But its the club that bought player not tan even though he's owner ect ect! As been said before would you pay someone money if didn't have to? It hasn't affected signings since it happened. :old:

How do you know it hasn't effected signings? Signings we have made may well have had the deals structured less favourably for our club as a consequence, all money up front etc. And how do you know we haven't missed out on anyone as an Agent has presented another clubs deal more favourably than ours to suit himself as a result of not trusting us and our owner not to wriggle out of commitments?

Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:43 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
RageJon wrote:

Dean Freeman:

I thought that I was the only one thinking this :thumbup:

Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:06 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
RageJon wrote:

Dean Freeman:

I thought that I was the only one thinking this :thumbup:

I doubt if this will have any bearing at all on transfers. If the money is right for player and club, then the deal will go ahead. This was an extraordinary set of circumstances, never happened before to the best of my knowledge, and almost certainly will never happen again. Players have joined the club since this tragic accident, and I have no doubt that if the right players become available at the right price in January, they will be signed just as they have in every other transfer window.

Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:13 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

not sure where corruption comes into this..
was he registered as a Cardiff City player ?...yes he was and it was our FA that registered him