Save Josh Murphy

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Save Josh Murphy

Postby maccydee » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:53 am

Oh he was trying yesterday. Really trying. He is so lacking in confidence. Ran the ball out a couple of times.

I think we really, really need to get behind this lad and we could have a proper player who will tear this league up second half of the season.

Can we get some songs for him home and away please?
maccydee

Save Josh Murphy

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Save Josh Murphy

Postby caerblue » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:07 pm

Time to sell him,we can’t afford to carry a player for half a season hoping he’d come good,our style of football ain’t suited to him,
caerblue

Postby llan bluebird » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:51 pm

He is clearly at the wrong club and definitely in the wrong system.

He is not a midfielder in a 442, Whyte is, so is Holiett now he has lost a yard of pace.

Josh is a wide forward in a team trying to win a game as opposed to not losing it.

We keep asking him to do things he isn't particularly good at, he is not tough, in fact diametrically opposite, but we knew that when WARNOCK bought him. Someone like Dave Jones, I could see him look at the positives and planning a game plan around them, Warnock tried to make him something he can't be and along with Harris have ruined him.

Warnocks and Harris's underdog mentality is so limiting. We act like we are Luton or Barnsley, but we have been in the premier league twice in the last 7 seasons !!!!!

Feel sorry for the lad. He is not that great, but not as bad as we are currently witnessing. In a team like Brentford he would flourish

Its a case of how much we are willing to lose, same with Glatzel.
llan bluebird

Postby bluesince62 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:11 pm

caerblue wrote:Time to sell him,we can’t afford to carry a player for half a season hoping he’d come good,our style of football ain’t suited to him,

Well we tried to play some football yesterday,he failed to take a beat his man so many times and failed,ran the ball out of play a couple of times,to the delight of the reading fans :( who must of thought they had misread his price tag of 11m!! My concern is when he loses the ball,he loses interest,rather shake his head, and punch his hand in frustration than try and win the ball, back,he cuts a forlorn figure of late,maybe contributing to his "lack of interest" as some punchers have aluded to previously.my biggest concern is if we decide to sell him,is the huge financial hit we may well have to take on him.the way we set up yesterday,to have a real go at them,I thought he could have shone,but he just ain't cutting the mustard for us,a real shame. :old: :bluebird:
bluesince62

Postby maccydee » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:16 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
caerblue wrote:Time to sell him,we can’t afford to carry a player for half a season hoping he’d come good,our style of football ain’t suited to him,

Well we tried to play some football yesterday,he failed to take a beat his man so many times and failed,ran the ball out of play a couple of times,to the delight of the reading fans :( who must of thought they had misread his price tag of 11m!! My concern is when he loses the ball,he loses interest,rather shake his head, and punch his hand in frustration than try and win the ball, back,he cuts a forlorn figure of late,maybe contributing to his "lack of interest" as some punchers have aluded to previously.my biggest concern is if we decide to sell him,is the huge financial hit we may well have to take on him.the way we set up yesterday,to have a real go at them,I thought he could have shone,but he just ain't cutting the mustard for us,a real shame. :old: :bluebird:

He scored some good goals last year when we were set up to defend and got a variety of right backs subbed when he ran rings round them.

This was all start of the season when he was confident.

I really think he could still be an asset. We just need to do our bit.
maccydee

Postby JJ1927 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:16 pm

He was truly shocking yesterday and it was nothing to with our style of football. Hoillet tore them apart when he came on. Sad to see because his confidence appeared in shreds, so much so that he appeared to want to come off to escape.
JJ1927

Postby caerblue » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:20 pm

bluesince62 wrote:

I ve said a few times before,you seem to know within the first 5 to 10 mins of a game,what type of game Murphy is going to have,if he beats the full back at first attempt,he ll go on and have a half decent game,if he don’t,you may as well bring him off,I was happy when we signed him but now after knowing what he’s like,one of the biggest failures in my eyes
caerblue

Postby RICK+CCFC » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:28 pm

llan bluebird wrote:He is clearly at the wrong club and definitely in the wrong system.

He is not a midfielder in a 442, Whyte is, so is Holiett now he has lost a yard of pace.

Josh is a wide forward in a team trying to win a game as opposed to not losing it.

We keep asking him to do things he isn't particularly good at, he is not tough, in fact diametrically opposite, but we knew that when WARNOCK bought him. Someone like Dave Jones, I could see him look at the positives and planning a game plan around them, Warnock tried to make him something he can't be and along with Harris have ruined him.

Warnocks and Harris's underdog mentality is so limiting. We act like we are Luton or Barnsley, but we have been in the premier league twice in the last 7 seasons !!!!!

Feel sorry for the lad. He is not that great, but not as bad as we are currently witnessing. In a team like Brentford he would flourish

I get the distinct impression that he doesn't want to be here, & that he's just going through the motions. I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves at the end of this window, with Glatzel also following him out...
RICK+CCFC

Postby bluesince62 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:30 pm

JJ1927 wrote:

He was truly shocking yesterday and it was nothing to with our style of football. Hoillet tore them apart when he came on. Sad to see because his confidence appeared in shreds, so much so that he appeared to want to come off to escape.

Whilst I'm not saying sell,sell,sell,the boy looks totally dejected at present,he no doubt has talent,but it seems Warnock at the start of the season and Harris so far,have belief in him,but are at a loss ,if he is feeling low/depressed with his form (or lack of it)
I'm hoping he comes good,otherwise it will be another the big hit financially for the club. :old: :bluebird:
bluesince62

Postby maccydee » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:31 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:He is clearly at the wrong club and definitely in the wrong system.

I get the distinct impression that he doesn't want to be here, & that he's just going through the motions. I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves at the end of this window, with Glatzel also following him out...

Save don’t sell.
maccydee

Postby BluebirdForever » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:34 pm

What doesn't make sense is that our fans are totally against Harris, totally against his style of play and cry out for us to be playing more attractive football.

At the same time, they suggest that we sell our players with flair like Josh Murphy so that we can get better at playing this style of football :?

Our fans like to be critics in everything, but in reality they have no idea what they want.

On a side note, Murphy's cross to Flint for the assist in Paterson's goal was fantastic - inch perfect. I think Murphy should be on set pieces like corners and indirect free kicks (Tomlin should take the direct free kicks). A lot of confidence can be gained from taking set pieces IMO. Alternatively, he's not got the physicality to be in the box. I like all of our wingers - Hoilett, Whyte, NML and Murphy but I think my first two choices would be Hoilett and Murphy :bluescarf:
BluebirdForever

Postby caerblue » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:45 pm

BluebirdForever wrote:What doesn't make sense is that our fans are totally against Harris, totally against his style of play and cry out for us to be playing more attractive football.

At the same time, they suggest that we sell our players with flair like Josh Murphy so that we can get better at playing this style of football :?

Our fans like to be critics in everything, but in reality they have no idea what they want.

On a side note, Murphy's cross to Flint for the assist in Paterson's goal was fantastic - inch perfect. I think Murphy should be on set pieces like corners and indirect free kicks (Tomlin should take the direct free kicks). A lot of confidence can be gained from taking set pieces IMO. Alternatively, he's not got the physicality to be in the box. I like all of our wingers - Hoilett, Whyte, NML and Murphy but I think my first two choices would be Hoilett and Murphy :bluescarf:

Catch 22,Murphy ain’t no good with the style of football we play at present,he is good when he wants to be with the ball at his feet,but we don’t play passing football,it was the same with bobby Reid,he looked lost at times,only difference Reid had a club interested in him and couldn’t wait to get away
caerblue

Postby rumpo kid » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:00 pm

That’s true. We need to be building a side around players like Murphy, but I fear it won’t be with this Manager.
rumpo kid

Postby HarriRhys22 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:29 pm

Murphy is without doubt our best attacking player but he is also a confidence player so getting on his back is not going to help.
Didn’t anyone notice who crossed the ball for our only goal and who put a cross on Glatzel’s Head when he missed an open goal?
Get a grip and support all our players!
HarriRhys22

Postby boyo1927 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:22 pm

Murphy was so poor yesterday didnt get stuck in at all. Could beat his man and generally looked like he didnt want to be there. Tbf he was not booed off by the fans. Problem is the club invested a huge sum of money and who would pay anymore than 3m
boyo1927

Postby moonboots » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:55 pm

Last season and in previous seasons for Norwich Murphy's main asset was his electric pace. He would push the ball beyond the fullback and simply steam past them. Yesterday, and in other games this season, he pushed the ball beyond the fullback but didn't manage to get clear enough of him in order to whip in a cross. Can't really understand it myself. Surely he hasn't lost pace. No mention of carrying an injury, so I'm not sure what the reason is. Does s lack of confidence make you run slower? I doubt it.
moonboots

Postby Canton104 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:01 pm

Yesterday he was trying trick passes etc whilst getting the ball taken off him or running out of play whilst under no pressure. He’s useless and we need shot of him ASAP.
Canton104

Postby maccydee » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:08 pm

boyo1927 wrote:Murphy was so poor yesterday didnt get stuck in at all. Could beat his man and generally looked like he didnt want to be there. Tbf he was not booed off by the fans. Problem is the club invested a huge sum of money and who would pay anymore than 3m

He did get stuck in. A few slide tackles. Harris gave him a huge gee up after one good tackle.
maccydee

Postby Chippy82 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:26 pm

maccydee wrote:
boyo1927 wrote:Murphy was so poor yesterday didnt get stuck in at all. Could beat his man and generally looked like he didnt want to be there. Tbf he was not booed off by the fans. Problem is the club invested a huge sum of money and who would pay anymore than 3m

He did get stuck in. A few slide tackles. Harris gave him a huge gee up after one good tackle.

I seen one when he slid in I can remember yes he has talent but christ he done nothing yesterday was awful
Chippy82

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:01 pm

Murphy is becoming a bit of a disgrace.

Yes, confidence plays a big part in football but there is no excuse for not getting stuck in and busting a gut for the team.
He has bags of skill but I’m sick of his body language and the fact that he doesn’t want to know a lot of the time.

He’s like a wet weekend and tackles like a pussy. That’s nothing to do with confidence.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby Charlie Harper » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:01 pm

Murphy has plenty of skill but sadly has no heart and backbone
Mad bad and dangerous to know
Charlie Harper

Postby maccydee » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:34 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:Murphy is becoming a bit of a disgrace.

Yes, confidence plays a big part in football but there is no excuse for not getting stuck in and busting a gut for the team.
He has bags of skill but I’m sick of his body language and the fact that he doesn’t want to know a lot of the time.

He’s like a wet weekend and tackles like a pussy. That’s nothing to do with confidence.

I thought he tried to get involved yesterday. Couple of slide tackles and got his foot in.
maccydee

Postby llan bluebird » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:51 pm

Lets face it, he is never going to get "stuck in" , he tracks back as poorly as Whitts did in the DJ era.

He is a wide forward, he needs to be judged on goals and assists. He is our biggest balance sheet asset but we treat him like an outcast.

Malky looked at our players and devised a system around the unique talents of Whitts. If we can't profitability (or loss within reason) move him on then we have to maximize his attributes. Not sure if Harris wants to play a 433 as its very attacking, unless you want the wide forwards tracking back and getting stuck in.

Leave him up top on his own, give him no or very little defensive responsibilities and see if he scores and gets it back.
llan bluebird

Postby dogfound » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:46 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:Murphy is becoming a bit of a disgrace.

its all about confidence.. his game is taking teams apart { which he isn't at the moment } and that's what I would like to see him do.. don't want him running around burning energy like a lunatic making poor challenges tbh, that's someone elses job or at least should be.
dogfound

Postby rhysn81 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:49 pm

Definitely a confidence player. Us getting on his back doesn’t help the matter. I agree he seemed awful yesterday but seemed to be working his socks off maybe trying to hard. The main problem is we the fans know how talented the guy is and that’s the reason we get on his back so much we expect more from him. I can’t help but remember the Newcastle game last season where he took the piss out of their fullback which resulted in him being taken off. Get back to that josh and we will be back on your side!
rhysn81

Postby Alan_in_China » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:13 pm

moonboots wrote:Last season and in previous seasons for Norwich Murphy's main asset was his electric pace. He would push the ball beyond the fullback and simply steam past them. Yesterday, and in other games this season, he pushed the ball beyond the fullback but didn't manage to get clear enough of him in order to whip in a cross. Can't really understand it myself. Surely he hasn't lost pace. No mention of carrying an injury, so I'm not sure what the reason is. Does s lack of confidence make you run slower? I doubt it.

Good point you raised. I can understand your touch deserting you when you're short of confidence, also your decision making. However, like yourself I can't understand why he no longer seems to have that extra yard of pace, that just requires effort, right?
He shapes up as if he's going to skin his man but he's easily tracked by the defender.
Alan_in_China

Postby moonboots » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:00 am

Alan_in_China wrote:
moonboots wrote:Last season and in previous seasons for Norwich Murphy's main asset was his electric pace. He would push the ball beyond the fullback and simply steam past them. Yesterday, and in other games this season, he pushed the ball beyond the fullback but didn't manage to get clear enough of him in order to whip in a cross. Can't really understand it myself. Surely he hasn't lost pace. No mention of carrying an injury, so I'm not sure what the reason is. Does s lack of confidence make you run slower? I doubt it.

Good point you raised. I can understand your touch deserting you when you're short of confidence, also your decision making. However, like yourself I can't understand why he no longer seems to have that extra yard of pace, that just requires effort, right?
He shapes up as if he's going to skin his man but he's easily tracked by the defender.

It's a mystery right enough! Really thought that Murphy would tear up the Championship this season.
moonboots

Postby bluesince62 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:33 am

JJ1927 wrote:

Must say Hoilett close ball skills are awesome,the moves he did to get away from two defenders,to get that cross in at the death was sublime,shame about poor old Bamba had a rush of blood,it would have meant so much for him to have scored the winner too,after his long lay off,never mind sol,you will get another chance no doubt :thumbup: :old: :bluebird:
bluesince62

Postby maccydee » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:29 am

rhysn81 wrote:Definitely a confidence player. Us getting on his back doesn’t help the matter. I agree he seemed awful yesterday but seemed to be working his socks off maybe trying to hard. The main problem is we the fans know how talented the guy is and that’s the reason we get on his back so much we expect more from him. I can’t help but remember the Newcastle game last season where he took the piss out of their fullback which resulted in him being taken off. Get back to that josh and we will be back on your side!

I think we need to get on his side to get him back to that.
maccydee

Postby nickjonesrox2 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:55 am

Not worthy of a place in the team in my opinion.
nickjonesrox2

Next

Return to General Chat