Cardiff City: Bluebirds consider academy upgrade

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby snoopystorm » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:14 pm

Cardiff City are exploring the possibility of upgrading their academy to category one status.

The Championship side currently operate a category two academy, one rung down from highest level possible as enjoyed by leading Premier League academies.

Tuesday 11th February 2020

Upgrading to the top level could cost around £3m a year but would increase their ability to recruit young players from a wider catchment area.

"It takes a lot of planning and a lot of investment," boss Neil Harris said.

"That becomes a board decision," he continued. "Would I support that? Yeah of course. It gives you the avenue to recruit players from a greater distance and the programme becomes bigger.

"It's a huge investment. Ultimately what's best for our club to get players in the academy in the first team? But you have to balance off the investment, have you got the right structure within the club? The right amount of coaches? The right facilities to train to have bigger groups and more staff?

"It's not just a simple decision. It does take time. We are in the process with the board and the academy to make decisions like that. But getting the coaching set-up correct, as we have, is a huge step forward for us."

Cardiff appoint Morison as lead u23s coach
Swansea could face further cuts, but keep category one academy
Cardiff's arch rivals Swansea have demonstrated how beneficial a category one academy can be, having held that status since 2016.

The Swans sold former development squad players Daniel James and Oli McBurnie to Manchester United and Sheffield United respectively for a combined £35m last year.

This season, the latest player to break into Swansea's first team has been centre-back Ben Cabango, who came through the club's academy despite being born and bred in Cardiff.

The Bluebirds are eager to avoid allowing more players to slip through the net, and upgrading their academy status could be a step in the right direction.

Cardiff are in the midst of an overhaul in their youth set-up, having appointed former Wales striker Steve Morison as head coach of their under-23 side on Monday.

Morison played under Harris at Millwall, and the Bluebirds boss is looking forward to working with him once again.

"I'm really pleased. Steve has got great leadership," said Harris.

"He was my club captain at Millwall and he's been qualified with his A Licence (coaching badge) and doing his Pro Licence for a period now.

"He has always wanted to coach and he's someone I know, and he knows what I want how I want to work, and he knows my thought process in terms of bringing young players through. He also knows I'll only play the young players when they are ready.

"We want to give a pathway. We want to show a club philosophy that I believe in, that young players if they're good enough get the opportunity to come through.

"It should excite the fans. They ultimately want to see Cardiff City fans playing in the first team. They want to see homegrown players.

"Everybody wants to see them come through. We aren't going to see four or five of them in the first team next season but, in two or three years' time, we might get to that scenario but that's got to be the aim."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51459576
Once a Bluebird, Always a bluebird
snoopystorm

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Cardiff City: Bluebirds consider academy upgrade

Postby snoopystorm » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:15 pm

Thought we had financial constraints and can’t afford to buy players :roll:
Once a Bluebird, Always a bluebird
snoopystorm

Postby Bluebird1990 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:38 pm

Protecting our youth players from getting snatched up without a choice is reason enough to get a Cat 1
Bluebird1990

Postby Bluebina » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:00 pm

snoopystorm wrote:Thought we had financial constraints and can’t afford to buy players :roll:

Billionaire owner, we can do what we want :thumbup:
Bluebina

Postby Bluebina » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:02 pm

Great news, looks like the club are forward-thinking and starting to get the right people on board, this brilliant news :thumbup: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
Bluebina

Postby Bluebina » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:04 pm

Bluebina wrote:Great news, looks like the club are forward-thinking and starting to get the right people on board, this brilliant news :thumbup: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

It will affect Swansea and stop good players from our area going West and we have better connections to pinch the best from Bristol and beyond!
Bluebina

Postby Steve Zodiak » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:09 pm

Bluebina wrote:
snoopystorm wrote:Thought we had financial constraints and can’t afford to buy players :roll:

The last figures I saw show his net worth as £590m as at Dec 2019. I think he was a billionaire a while back but it appears that may have changed according to Forbes.
Steve Zodiak

Postby HarriRhys22 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:14 pm

Bluebina wrote:

Tan’s not a Billionaire, he’s worth £600million and for some reason has interests in 4 clubs!
Unless we find a Multi Billionaire a Category 1 Academy is the way to go to produce our own players and have our own identity and stop other Category 1 Academy’s pinching our players.
When you consider that Warnock spent £100 m on players in his three years and we ended up where we started in the bottom half of the Championship, £3 million a year to run this Academy is peanuts!
HarriRhys22

Postby Bluebina » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:28 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

The last figures I saw show his net worth as £590m as at Dec 2019. I think he was a billionaire a while back but it appears that may have changed according to Forbes.

Is that all !!!

Malky, Ole and Warnock have helped rid him of some, the poor bugger :laughing6:
Bluebina

Postby Bluebina » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:31 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

£3Million for the next twenty yours, drop in the ocean!

Speculate to accumulate.
Bluebina

Postby JulesK » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:40 pm

Is that what the planning for down the vale is for? Any news on that btw?
Keeping the Faith since '74.
JulesK

Postby Steve Zodiak » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:46 pm

Bluebina wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Is that all !!!

His value has dropped from £1200m in the last 6 years. Could be a possible reason for the club being on a tight budget. If he carries on as he has since 2014, he will be worth the same as me by 2026, - precisely nothing. ;)
Steve Zodiak

Postby Foghorn65 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:26 am

Definitely the way forward. Great news if on the agenda.
Foghorn65

Postby Bluedodo » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:40 am

I find that article bit odd citing James and McBurnie as products of Swansea academy when neither were.
Bluedodo

Postby DanielHuwLewis » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:40 am

Bluedodo wrote:I find that article bit odd citing James and McBurnie as products of Swansea academy when neither were.

Quality journalism from the BBC, as always..
DanielHuwLewis

Postby dogfound » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:51 am

Bluebina wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Is that all !!!

yes we only won promotion twice..
dogfound

Postby T1JMO » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:55 am

HarriRhys22 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Tan’s not a Billionaire, he’s worth £600million and for some reason has interests in 4 clubs!
Unless we find a Multi Billionaire a Category 1 Academy is the way to go to produce our own players and have our own identity and stop other Category 1 Academy’s pinching our players.
When you consider that Warnock spent £100 m on players in his three years and we ended up where we started in the bottom half of the Championship, £3 million a year to run this Academy is peanuts!

Where has £100m come from?? Did a quick search online and it says £43m?!
T1JMO

Postby dogfound » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:26 pm

Bluedodo wrote:I find that article bit odd citing James and McBurnie as products of Swansea academy when neither were.

they were development squad players. which is the actual point here { bringing in young men from all over the place for the under 23s } its being mishmahed with all this untapped local talent that has been slipping through the net talk..
dogfound

Postby HarriRhys22 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:28 pm

T1JMO wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Dalman said that Warnock had spent £100m in his 3 years and he should know, probably includes Loan fees, agent fees,signing on fees etc. No one is free these days!
HarriRhys22

Postby goats » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:22 am

HarriRhys22 wrote:
T1JMO wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Dalman said that Warnock had spent £100m in his 3 years and he should know, probably includes Loan fees, agent fees,signing on fees etc. No one is free these days!

The numbers don’t really add up, not sure I trust Dalman there, he’s spinning things for an agenda. Apart from wasting 6 million in madine I can hardly recall Warnock spending anything before promotion, Tomlin fee maybe? Not much anyway. Then hardly much on promotion, you can take the bobby Reid fee off that and 8 million for zohore.
Funny how they never ever talk about the huge amounts if cash coming into the club over this period? :lol:
goats

Return to General Chat