Neil Harris Deserves far more credit/respect Says

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:54 am

You need to make up your mind Scott Johnson you’ve been slating Neil Harris for weeks.

Cardiff City's Neil Harris may not be perfect, but he deserves far more credit and respect

By Scott Johnson

Wednesday 12th February 2020

Scott Johnson says it's a strange time to be following the club at present but believes everyone should give the boss a fair crack of the whip

It’s not easy to write about Cardiff City at the moment.

There is no clear narrative, as no two people seem to share the same opinion. I’ve never known a time like it to be honest.

The league table appears to suggest that Cardiff are doing quite well, but the mood in general does not at all reflect that. Most people seem disgruntled, about a variety of different things. That could be a lack of spending in January, which is in turn perceived as a lack of ambition. Others feel that Cardiff do not play attractive enough football or do not bring through enough youth players.

There is no clear identity or plan in place. Even when Cardiff win, it was a slog or not convincing enough. Harris is too Harris and not Neil Warnock enough.

Talk about mixed messages. You’ll never please all of the people all of the time, but it feels like no one is especially pleased at present. Yet Cardiff could conceivable end the week in the play-off places.

To put Cardiff’s season in some context, it is worth comparing them to their peers. They’ve lost fewer games than both Fulham and Leeds, while scoring the same number of goals as fourth-placed Nottingham Forest. They also have the same number of points and an identical goal difference to Swansea City.

Comparing Cardiff to their near neighbours is particularly interesting because it highlights the importance of expectations. The general consensus appears to be that Swansea are doing far better, but in reality there is nothing between them. Even when they played each other recently, they couldn’t be separated, with identical passing and possession stats in a scoreless draw.

The difference is that Swansea were expected to struggle and Cardiff were expected to challenge.

Swansea recruited a manager perceived as up and coming who has brought in a raft of exciting young players on loan to complement the club’s impressive academy graduates. It all forms an admirable grand plan, but what happens when the loan players leave and they inevitably, according to reports, downgrade their academy?

Huge player profits have kept them afloat, but what happens if that source of income dries up? What happens when, like Cardiff, their parachute payments run out next year?

Every team has their issues, especially in the Championship, where all clubs are haemorrhaging money in an attempt to stay competitive. They’re all on the brink of being on the brink.

Cardiff may not be doing as well as Fulham, their recent arch nemesis, who spend like there’s no tomorrow, but they’re doing far better than Huddersfield, who like Fulham also dropped back into the second tier last season and host Cardiff on Wednesday.

Cardiff were expected to bounce back this year because they ended last season with an encouraging win at Old Trafford, held on to most of their best players and Warnock. They then sold Kenneth Zohore, Bruno Ecuele Manga and Bobby Decordova-Reid, leaving a quality void that they haven’t yet managed to fill.

Neil Warnock
Warnock announced that this season would be his last on the eve of the first game and he never seemed to have the gusto of old, before eventually receiving his marching orders. There is also no accounting for the hangover players sometimes feel when they have tasted the top tier.

Cardiff started the season sluggishly and it still takes them half a game to get going. Suffice to say, Harris was up against it, which was only compounded by the fact that he was a largely unpopular choice.

The fact that, in spite of all this, Cardiff are eighth, is a success of sorts. They’re doing pretty well. Even if it doesn’t feel like they are.

Harris was never going to immediately flood the team with youngsters and instigate expansive, possession football, but academy prospects are enjoying greater opportunities and the side do play more football these days. They’re a harder team to beat and while they draw far too many games, it is sometimes fine margins that turn those games in to wins.

Cardiff could easily have a few more points on the board and that would likely have made a world of difference in how Harris is regarded, but he’s plugging away and progress may be gradual, but it’s progress all the same.

Harris may never be as charismatic in press conferences as Warnock was or play football as attractive as a Dave Jones side, but he’s making his mark and pointing Cardiff in the right direction.

All he needs now is the support of those fans who have been down on him from day one. Those who deemed him not worthy of the post are seemingly not for turning and digging their heels in. By sticking to their guns, they accentuate the negatives and fixate on the many problems, most of which were inherited rather than created by Harris.

I can see both sides of the argument. It's not pretty or particularly inspiring at present, or even much fun, but I do think that Harris deserves a fair crack of the whip. There are no red flags like there were during Ole Gunnar Solskjaer or Paul Trollope’s spells in charge and the least Harris should be entitled to is respect and time.

You wonder what it might take to get everyone onside. A single breakthrough performance may do it, but as long as things remain in the balance, a hammering could just as easily tip things the other way.

Two wins and a draw from the last three is a great foundation to build upon ahead of a couple of winnable games, if such a thing exists in the Championship. I’m rooting for Harris, we should all be, and despite everything, Cardiff keep plugging away and may be this season’s dark horses.
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Neil Harris Deserves far more credit/respect Says

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:58 am

For me we are capable of making the play offs as the Championship is so tight and weak.

If we make them and even if we lost in them I will say give Harris next season :thumbright: :bluebird: even though he is here no matter what :lol:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby paulh_85 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:04 am

Didnt want Harris here - same as almost all the fan base but hes probably right.
paulh_85

Postby RageJon » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:15 am

My expectations at the beginning of the season and 10 games in from warnock was middle table and that's where we sat when harris took over also after 2 horrific derby losses and the Morrison incident.

I said I would give harris time to create his own team and judge him after the summer transfers and into next season if the route we are taking is bringing young talent through then I'm happy to wait it out in the championship. If we sign mediocre players in the summer and make no attempt at bringing young talent in or through the academy then that will show the intentions of the club
And harris will have to make the decision to stand down or be slated for what hes been given.

If we dont beat huddersfield tonight I personally think it's over for the playoffs.
Always Know If The Juice Is Worth The Squeeze !

Utrinque Paratus
RageJon

Postby BAMBA CREW » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:43 pm

Spot on, the abuse he's had has been embarrassing.
BAMBA CREW

Postby BarryWelsh88 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:52 pm

Abuse? :lol:

Scott Johnson how has he earned that platform? Knows very little about football
BarryWelsh88

Postby bluesince62 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:04 pm

Oh come on! He will get it from certain posters,even if we make the play offs,I notice a thread by Annis himself,which has the very misleading headline of "pre season is vital.someone said' trying to make the manager sound thick!! When what was said was "pre season is vital,someone said we are playing a game every 4 days" a not very good attempt at having another poke at harris :roll: I have asked Annis if there is a reason as to why the banner headline is misleading,I'm awaiting his reply :thumbup: :old: :bluebird:
bluesince62

Postby BarryWelsh88 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:19 pm

I doubt that was intended to be a misleading headline. You click on the story and the full quote is there? Hardly misleading? I get how it could be read but that would simply be unfounded once reading the article
BarryWelsh88

Postby eddiep » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:41 pm

I think we need to
Get behind the team
And Manager...

We know what we are...
We know what we are.......
Second half bastards
We know what we are!!!!
you reap what you sow
eddiep

Postby eddiep » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:42 pm

I think we need to
Get behind the team
And Manager...

We know what we are...
We know what we are.......
Second half bastards
We know what we are!!!!
you reap what you sow
eddiep

Postby dogfound » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:12 pm

bluesince62 wrote:Oh come on! He will get it from certain posters,even if we make the play offs,I notice a thread by Annis himself,which has the very misleading headline of "pre season is vital.someone said' trying to make the manager sound thick!! When what was said was "pre season is vital,someone said we are playing a game every 4 days" a not very good attempt at having another poke at harris :roll: I have asked Annis if there is a reason as to why the banner headline is misleading,I'm awaiting his reply :thumbup: :old: :bluebird:

I don't think that was intentional by Annis , titles are often a sentence cut in half because the title bar is not big enough so therefore automatically chops it down. .happens often..
besides had really wanted to make Harris sound thick...the sentence...someone said we are playing 4 games a week.. does the trick ?
dogfound

Postby TopCat CCFC » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:42 pm

2 League defeats since Nov - and to this point doing well tonight .
TopCat CCFC

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:49 pm

bluesince62 wrote:Oh come on! He will get it from certain posters,even if we make the play offs,I notice a thread by Annis himself,which has the very misleading headline of "pre season is vital.someone said' trying to make the manager sound thick!! When what was said was "pre season is vital,someone said we are playing a game every 4 days" a not very good attempt at having another poke at harris :roll: I have asked Annis if there is a reason as to why the banner headline is misleading,I'm awaiting his reply :thumbup: :old: :bluebird:

The headline was actually exactly what Neil Harris said the press conference :thumbright: :bluebird:

What banner headline?

When did you ask?

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:52 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

The headline was actually exactly what Neil Harris said the press conference :thumbright: :bluebird:

What banner headline?

When did you ask?

Even searched for you

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=212947 :bluebird:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:56 pm

dogfound wrote:

I don't think that was intentional by Annis , titles are often a sentence cut in half because the title bar is not big enough so therefore automatically chops it down. .happens often..
besides had really wanted to make Harris sound thick...the sentence...someone said we are playing 4 games a week.. does the trick ?

Thank you and 100% Spot on :thumbright: :thumbright:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby TopCat CCFC » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:41 pm

Excellent Performance tonight :bluebird:
TopCat CCFC

Postby bluesince62 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:58 pm

dogfound wrote:

I can see now what you mean,and have pm'd Annis an apology,was just a little confused with the title,as it could have said" pre season is vital" or "we play every 4 days" never mind,no offence was intended. :old: :bluebird:
bluesince62

Postby dogfound » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:10 am

bluesince62 wrote:
dogfound wrote:

I can see now what you mean,and have pm'd Annis an apology,was just a little confused with the title,as it could have said" pre season is vital" or "we play every 4 days" never mind,no offence was intended. :old: :bluebird:

I agree with your alternatives.. its just ive noticed lots of times that the header doesn't seem complete and have to click on the thread to know the end of sentence.. this time it was just a bit unfortunate where the cut came..
dogfound

Return to General Chat