Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

WHERE CAN CARDIFF FINISH?

You may select 1 option

View results

7 POINTS FROM 2ND PLACE - SURELY IT CAN'T HAPPEN CAN IT?

Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:56 pm

7 Points off 2nd place Leeds United and only 4 off the play offs thanks to Bristol beating Derby and Preston beating Stoke, but how high do you think we can actually get? Can we get 2nd or is that too high of a target?

By the way what a fantastic result against what could of been a tricky fixture for us. Get in there fellow bluebirds lets fly high towards Wembley. :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Re: 7 POINTS FROM 2ND PLACE - SURELY IT CAN'T HAPPEN CAN IT?

Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:01 pm

Someone does it every season.
Win our next 2 games then it’s a massive game at home v Forest. Puts us right in the playoffs.

Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:26 pm

I thought our play off hopes would have all but died come the end of February. I think I might have got it wrong.

Play offs will be excellent for us to achieve. Automatics, don't want to sound downtrodden but I think they will be a bridge too far.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:50 am

bluecityblue wrote:Someone does it every season.
Win our next 2 games then it’s a massive game at home v Forest. Puts us right in the playoffs.

Yep,why can't it be us? Lets hope the current form by players stays around,as we have put ourselves with a great fighting chance of achieving what a lot of people were saying was impossible with this manager,the play offs at least!! C'mon city,keep it going :ayatollah: :old: :bluebird:

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:21 am

I give full credit to Neil and the players for what was a comprehensive and deserved victory tonight... but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. We have yet to ‘penetrate’ the playoff positions despite what has become an extensive run of form. The win was vital tonight to maintain the 4 point gap but we have to continue this form or could be back to 7 points away in a flash. Not checked preston’s fixtures but I know Bristol City are away to Leeds on the weekend. Am loving the Leeds slump but quite frankly hope they return to their best v the carrot crunchers and we can get that vital win at home.

If we can end Saturday being 1 point from the playoffs I will be ecstatic.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:34 am

BarryWelsh88 wrote:I give full credit to Neil and the players for what was a comprehensive and deserved victory tonight... but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. We have yet to ‘penetrate’ the playoff positions despite what has become an extensive run of form. The win was vital tonight to maintain the 4 point gap but we have to continue this form or could be back to 7 points away in a flash. Not checked preston’s fixtures but I know Bristol City are away to Leeds on the weekend. Am loving the Leeds slump but quite frankly hope they return to their best v the carrot crunchers and we can get that vital win at home.

If we can end Saturday being 1 point from the playoffs I will be ecstatic.

Anything is possible, but we are on a good run and still have some winnable fixtures to come in this batch of games.

If you look at recent form Bristol, Preston and Fulham are a point or two ahead of us and Blackburn, Brentford, WBA and Forrest are a point or two behind us.

The next two games are vital and could see us close the gap, it looks like Leeds will bottle it with six teams in form fighting for the other automatic space and fighting for the remaining three playoff places!

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/cham ... form-guide

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:38 am

We've got Leeds, Brentford, Forest, Preston and Bristol all to play - all of which sit above us by 4-7 points. If we keep chipping away and beat or draw against the teams around us.. it's anybody's game.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:12 am

Top lot are all to play each other too. Points will be dropped :)

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:18 am

There is still some ground to be made up and I feel we may just miss out. But I hope I am wrong! Nevertheless, it's great to see some optimism about the manager and certain players. It makes Saturday a day to look forward to, despite the threat of storm Dennis.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:24 am

Bakedalasker wrote:I thought our play off hopes would have all but died come the end of February. I think I might have got it wrong.

Play offs will be excellent for us to achieve. Automatics, don't want to sound downtrodden but I think they will be a bridge too far.

We are going up as champions :lol:

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:28 am

Won't finish top 2 for sure. no reason we cant push towards the top 6 though.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:06 am

paulh_85 wrote:Won't finish top 2 for sure. no reason we cant push towards the top 6 though.

Definitely, very recent form has us top of the League with Preston and Birmingham :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/cham ... guide/four

Although we can't get carried on, as Harris will say, let's take it a game at a time :thumbup:

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:20 am

paulh_85 wrote:Won't finish top 2 for sure. no reason we cant push towards the top 6 though.

I haven’t wrote off 2nd spot yet. Leeds still falling apart, Fulham might drop points. Unrealistic maybe, but not yet unachievable. Current form we’re nailed on for top 6. Especially with Bristol and Preston still to play.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:41 am

bluecityblue wrote:

I haven’t wrote off 2nd spot yet. Leeds still falling apart, Fulham might drop points. Unrealistic maybe, but not yet unachievable. Current form we’re nailed on for top 6. Especially with Bristol and Preston still to play.

problem is you need them all to drop points. catching 7 on 1 team is possible. but we have to overtake too many. probably need 12 wins from 14 games.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:46 am

We've been promoted as Champions and runners-up. Perhaps it's our turn via play offs? We must avoid banana skins like Wigan, though. Big game Saturday :bluebird: :bluescarf:

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:47 am

I said at the beginning of the season we would finish second to West Brom.

Admittedly that was before we sold Zohore, Manga and Reid and I figured all we had to do was hold onto the side that beat Utd on the last day of the season and I thought Warnock would guide us back to the promised land with a gentle wave of his magic wand.

OK so that hasn't worked out exactly as planned but I'll stick with my prediction. We'll finish second. To West Brom. Leeds will finish third. Brentford will win the playoffs beating Fulham in the final.

:ayatollah:

7,12,31,33,42,46 and bonus ball is 5 in case you were wondering. 8-)

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:28 pm

Don't think we should get too carried away. The championship is unpredictable we could lose or draw to Wigan. And be talking 7 points off play offs. We still have to play every team above us except west brom. So all to play for if we keep our good run going. Although I must admit we looked good last night has to be the best performance of the season maybe except the Leeds comeback.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:45 pm

This is what the fans want something to get behind not mid table and i think the players can now see something to go for, and at last are responsing i have also noticed the change in style of play a bit less hoofball so hats off to harris for making us play on the ground.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:52 pm

montyblue wrote:This is what the fans want something to get behind not mid table and i think the players can now see something to go for, and at last are responsing i have also noticed the change in style of play a bit less hoofball so hats off to harris for making us play on the ground.

Agree about the style, our defenders definitely try to find a midfield player rather than putting it out of touch also they play it back to the keeper rather than hitting it long ,our possession stats are much better

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:02 pm

Top 6 had to be the target when Harris was appointed and that's the direction we need to be looking at. it's amazing what confidence can do.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:04 pm

WEZ 1927

Smithies actually threw it out to a defender last night you don't see that very much with us i also think smithies has steadied things at the back,
We looked nervous with ethridge in goal which made the defence nervous .

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:06 pm

wez1927 wrote:
montyblue wrote:This is what the fans want something to get behind not mid table and i think the players can now see something to go for, and at last are responsing i have also noticed the change in style of play a bit less hoofball so hats off to harris for making us play on the ground.

Agree about the style, our defenders definitely try to find a midfield player rather than putting it out of touch also they play it back to the keeper rather than hitting it long ,our possession stats are much better

I've noticed the possession stats going up as well, we've had a few recently over 50%. Last night was low, but to be expected going 3 up with over 30 minutes to play. We sat back and saw the game out.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:19 pm

bluecityblue wrote:

I’ve always thought Fulham would make it and their run in looks alright. I’ve always wanted to be one of those teams that surge in last few months and look unstoppable, pretty sure we’ve never done it? Is this the year? I think we will be in the mix for the playoffs come May.

Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:52 pm

Why not,the division is open

Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:01 am

West brom play Preston bristol and another in succession, they could do us a favour and win all three!! Talking points off our rivals will be a big help! C'MON CITY :ayatollah: :old: :bluebird:

Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:01 am

West brom play Preston bristol and another in succession, they could do us a favour and win all three!! Talking points off our rivals will be a big help! C'MON CITY :ayatollah: :old: :bluebird:

Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:21 pm

Forest equaliser

Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:06 pm

Need a wba win

Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:12 pm

2-1

Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:16 pm

Cracking...