Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Ecstatic Neil Harris hails 'inspirational' Cardiff City star

Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:06 am

Neil Harris says his own experiences as player are helping to get the best out of "inspirational" Lee Tomlin, hailing the forward as one several leading voices in his Cardiff City dressing room.

The superlatives to describe Tomlin's contribution to this Cardiff side are rapidly running out, but he was once again sensational as Cardiff earned a commanding 3-0 win over Huddersfield Town at the John Smith's Stadium.

The win keeps the Bluebirds firmly in the mix for a top-six finish this season, and stretches their unbeaten run to six league games ahead of Saturday's clash with Wigan.

And having previously failed to deliver on his obvious potential, Harris appears to have found a winning formula in getting the best out of the 31-year-old.

Harris himself was something of goalscorer during his playing days, and says his own experiences have helped to strike up an understanding with his match-winner.

"I think the respect is mutual," he said. "That's for sure. I was a goalscorer in box. I wasn't particularly quick, but I like to think I was quite clever with and without the ball. And I worked hard.

"Tommo works extremely hard. He's clever and he's a goalscorer. He scores very different goals, he's not going to score goals in the six-yard box with his head all the time, but he's got real ability.

"He's a real team player and sometimes players just need a little bit of love and you have to try to find ways of getting the best out of them.

"And for me at the moment it's just playing him and working him hard. He's focused and positive and the team appreciate him and he appreciates the team around him."

The form of Tomlin will perhaps bring his role in the Neil Warnock era under even closer scrutiny, but the former Bristol City star clearly has a big role in the dressing room under Harris, who believes he's just one of several leaders within his squad.

Re: Ecstatic Neil Harris hails 'inspirational' Cardiff City

Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:59 am

Would love to know what went on with Sir Neil and Tommo. Both probably at fault in some respects, but great to see him fulfilling his potential. Build our team around him and let him work his magic.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:43 pm

BAMBA CREW wrote:Would love to know what went on with Sir Neil and Tommo. Both probably at fault in some respects, but great to see him fulfilling his potential. Build our team around him and let him work his magic.

I couldn't understand Warnock not including him in the first team squad for pre season tour last season but sending him with the development squad instead. Don't know the reason and Warnock may have had a good one but if anything was a slap in the face that was. The Tomlin we have now could have made the difference between staying up and being relegated.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:03 pm

JJ1927 wrote:
BAMBA CREW wrote:Would love to know what went on with Sir Neil and Tommo. Both probably at fault in some respects, but great to see him fulfilling his potential. Build our team around him and let him work his magic.

I couldn't understand Warnock not including him in the first team squad for pre season tour last season but sending him with the development squad instead. Don't know the reason and Warnock may have had a good one but if anything was a slap in the face that was. The Tomlin we have now could have made the difference between staying up and being relegated.

I'd imagine it was his attitude and training but I'm clutching at straws. I agree, him and Camarasa together, would have been a dream.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:12 pm

JJ1927 wrote:

Tomlin and madine were refused visas so they couldn’t travel with the first team.

Not playing Tomlin and sticking with Morrison and flint at the back wasn’t Warnock’s biggest mistake this season. I think he would still be here if he gave them a proper run in the team.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:24 pm

Escott1927 wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:

Tomlin and madine were refused visas so they couldn’t travel with the first team.

That was this season, not last.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:45 pm

So with what we have seen in the last 2 seasons.

Tomlin or Reid???

Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:44 pm

welshrarebit wrote:So with what we have seen in the last 2 seasons.

Tomlin or Reid???

By a country mile, Tomlin.

Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:50 pm

Escott1927 wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:

Not playing Tomlin and sticking with Morrison and flint at the back wasn’t Warnock’s biggest mistake this season. I think he would still be here if he gave them a proper run in the team.

Tour was to Devon and Cornwall. Agree with you on playing Flint and Morrison

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:10 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
welshrarebit wrote:So with what we have seen in the last 2 seasons.

Tomlin or Reid???

By a country mile, Tomlin.

Football is amazing how we can flog reid for 10mil despite hardly pulling up roses. Quietly engineering a forced move away.

A guy who we paid a fraction for, for whatever reasons was no where near the first team but never once publicly complained.

Comes to the team. Works hard and becomes a focal point for all that's good with the team going forward ... And we wouldn't have a 10 million pound player back who shares his position in place if him.

Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:08 pm

Man of Harlech wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:

That was this season, not last.

Sorry, misread your post. I don't think he was in Warnocks plans at all at the time. To be fair he was massively unfit. If it wasnt for his wages I think he would have been shipped out. Lucky for us he wasn't.

Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:17 pm

JJ1927 wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:

Tour was to Devon and Cornwall. Agree with you on playing Flint and Morrison

I meant to say 'was' Warnocks biggest mistake, not 'wasn't'. People on here were concerned with the lack of pace at the back before a ball was kicked this season yet warnock stuck with it. Should have been addressed much earlier as well as the lack of creativity in the team. Losing Manga was the biggest blow to the team but not giving Tomlin and Nelson a proper go was Warnocks biggest mistake.

Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:26 pm

Tomlin probably has more natural ability than anyone else at the club right now. Looked to me as if he had some personal issues a while back, and he was obviously unfit and didn't always have his mind on the job. I always thought that Tomlin on top of his game could be one of the first names on the team sheet. His fitness can still improve, and I think there is far more to come from him than we have seen so far, even including the recent games where he has played well. He has been the difference between us and the opposition in a couple of games recently, and the sort of player who can produce a magical moment which can turn a game on it's head.