' Sick and tired' - Sky pundit wants '

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:08 pm

'Sick and tired' - Sky pundit wants Liverpool talk ignored and calls for Leeds United and West Brom promotion plan obliterating Cardiff City and Swansea City hopes

He is the latest to suggest a way of sorting the relegation and promotion issues facing football bosses

By Glen Williams

Monday 23rd March 2020

Sky Sports pundit Danny Higginbotham has called for a line to be drawn under the season and Leeds United and West Brom to be promoted from the Championship.

The former Manchester United, Southampton and Stoke City defender said he is ‘sick and tired’ of all the talk being about whether Liverpool will claim the Premier League title, believing the focus should be on teams embroiled in financial strife lower in the football pyramid.

“Without a doubt, the biggest priority has to be making sure we don’t see smaller clubs throughout the football pyramid going bust, through no fault of their own,” he wrote in his Sun column.

“For me, the talk is far too weighted in terms of what is going to happen in the Premier League.

“But if we are not careful, a whole host of clubs up and down the country will no longer be with us when football is eventually back up and running.”

Higginbotham suggested a plan which aligned with calls from Brighton chief Paul Barber, which would see the top two clubs in the Championship, Leeds United and West Brom, promoted to make a 22-team Premier League with no relegation this term.

That would be a huge financial blow to those still chasing promotion to the top flight, such as Cardiff City and Swansea City, who sit two and three points off the play-off spots respectively.

The EFL are set to release £50m to its club as a short-term relief, however one football finance expert claimed that Cardiff and Swansea will burn through that cash in 10 days on just player wages alone.

Higginbotham has called on governing bodies and clubs higher in the football pyramid to club together to ensure no organisation falls into oblivion - even if it means putting an end to the season at the end of next month.

“What we need is to get a plan in place so that every football club can get through this,” he added.

“If football cannot resume on April 30, which looks highly unlikely, we need to draw a line under this season.

“Lower league clubs — some of who have already had to lay off staff — rely so heavily on match- day revenues and everything has to be done to help them.

“We need to cancel relegation in every league, promoting those in automatic positions. Next season will be over-inflated but we can even it out over time.

“In the Prem, those bottom three teams will earn huge sums from another season in the top flight and should therefore be made to give up a set percentage of it.

“We can then start to drip feed that money down.”

He added that there may be an argument to say that Sheffield United should play their game in hand, presumably behind closed doors, as they still have an opportunity to secure fifth place and European football next season.

However, he reiterated that the plan is, first and foremost, to ensure no club is harmed further by the prospect of relegation during these troubled and financially uncertain times.
Attachments
0_managers.png
0_managers.png (1.12 MiB) Viewed 5682 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: ' Sick and tired' - Sky pundit wants '

Postby Dobbin » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:22 pm

Sick and tired of pundits and press trying to come up with other ways other than complete the season - that’s is fair to all teams and is in my opinion the only solution.

No matter how long it takes to complete this season then so be it - then you adapt next season to what is required.

Realistically I can’t see the season resuming until the end of the summer.
Dobbin

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:34 pm

As harsh as it seems the only real fair way to conclude the season is to scrap it. This virus is not going to be fully beaten until there is a vaccine and that won't happen for 6-12 months.

The talk of the season re-starting in May is nonsense and frankly dangerous. Bite the bullet scrap the season.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:52 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:As harsh as it seems the only real fair way to conclude the season is to scrap it. This virus is not going to be fully beaten until there is a vaccine and that won't happen for 6-12 months.

The talk of the season re-starting in May is nonsense and frankly dangerous. Bite the bullet scrap the season.

These have been my thoughts for quite a while now.
Completely and absolutely unfair to give promotion places to the current top two as it is to give it to the current leaders for the Premiership.

The season should be made void and be looking to start again in July/August/September or whenever is deemed safe to do so.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby Jock » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:48 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:As harsh as it seems the only real fair way to conclude the season is to scrap it. This virus is not going to be fully beaten until there is a vaccine and that won't happen for 6-12 months.

It’s a no brainer mate, something’s are more important than football.
Jock

Postby Thewifestheboss » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:07 pm

Can't see the egotistical football authorities cancelling the season. My opinion is that it should be scraped. Start a new season in August if we are clear of the virus by then. Life is more important than football.
Thewifestheboss

Postby Sven » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:31 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:

These have been my thoughts for quite a while now.
Completely and absolutely unfair to give promotion places to the current top two as it is to give it to the current leaders for the Premiership.

The season should be made void and be looking to start again in July/August/September or whenever is deemed safe to do so.

Would it not be better to complete this season even if it's into next season and then possibly abandon 2020/21 if no realistic programme can be put into place?

Surely, it would be better to complete the competition already in place and people battling for position rather than start a new one where no one is currently at an advantage or disadvantage?
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Dobbin » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:39 pm

Sven - Agree totally and what I been saying finish this season before starting another one.

Why would you void a season 80% of the way through to start a new season from scratch when the harsh reality is that this virus is more than likely to return very soon.

I just don’t understand people’s way of thinking.
Dobbin

Postby Sven » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:03 pm

Dobbin wrote:Sven - Agree totally and what I been saying finish this season before starting another one.

Why would you void a season 80% of the way through to start a new season from scratch when the harsh reality is that this virus is more than likely to return very soon.

I'm just hope it's being thought through by the people who matter...clearly not including the guy Higginbotham
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby dogfound » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:56 pm

Dobbin wrote:Sven - Agree totally and what I been saying finish this season before starting another one.

the virus could return mate. but should this current epidemic end , do people look forward with optimism or just assume the worse will happen..
and come June clubs will be needing the prospect of a full season not just 9 games as will the broadcasters ..
dogfound

Postby Sven » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:15 am

dogfound wrote:

the virus could return mate. but should this current epidemic end , do people look forward with optimism or just assume the worse will happen..
and come June clubs will be needing the prospect of a full season not just 9 games as will the broadcasters ..

And that's the point, i.e. for the sake of 9 games I feel sure THIS season should be a priority and then they can look at what occurs NEXT season

Do they have a shorter break between the two? Do they extend next season as well? Always remembering the Euros have to be played next season's end

The time for decisions is not yet; but to simply abandon the outcomes for this season will short-change those involved in it and also the integrity going forward

It will potentially give some a massively unfair financial fillip, i.e. Norwich, Villa and Bournemouth in the current table; whilst giving a huge kick in the teeth to (currently) Leeds, WBA and one other from several

Finish this season whatever (even behind closed doors) and worry about the next at the appropriate time :thumbup:
Sven

Postby dogfound » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:52 am

Sven wrote:
dogfound wrote:

And that's the point, i.e. for the sake of 9 games I feel sure THIS season should be a priority and then they can look at what occurs NEXT season

Do they have a shorter break between the two? Do they extend next season as well? Always remembering the Euros have to be played next season's end

The time for decisions is not yet; but to simply abandon the outcomes for this season will short-change those involved in it and also the integrity going forward

It will potentially give some a massively unfair financial fillip, i.e. Norwich, Villa and Bournemouth in the current table; whilst giving a huge kick in the teeth to (currently) Leeds, WBA and one other from several

Finish this season whatever (even behind closed doors) and worry about the next at the appropriate time :thumbup:

behind closed doors seems the best chances of it happening...but as others have pointed out in other threads it takes 1 player at 1 club to test positive for it to all go tits up again.. besides are the players now under these new restrictions and not in training ? can hardly be described as key workers..
then ,as you say the Euros complicate the following season running on and player contracts, many end in June..
I do agree its not decision time quite yet but we are getting there.. and whatever decisions are made are going to be unpopular with some people.. don't see the integrity of football or leagues being in doubt though.. these are very difficult unprecedented times and really not much different to war time regarding things like football..
dogfound

Postby cwmbachbluebird » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:42 am

Football has less meaning to me every day.
Loved the game for almost 40 yrs but even before all this the money side of it and play acting, shit refs etc has been reducing its appeal. The clubs will be squabbling over how to end the season for months and those with the deepest pockets will win the argument.

What this crisis shows us is the real heros in life are our doctors and nurses....

Stay safe bluebirds :bluescarf:
Eddie Mays Barmy Army
R.I.P Speedo...Wales forever.
cwmbachbluebird

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:29 am

Firstly the season wouldn't start back up where it left off. Players would have recovered from injury and play in games they wouldn't have had the season continued uninterrupted. Secondly players would be rusty after such a long lay off leading to freak results.

Also games would be played in rapid succession which again is not the way it would have been.

This season is ruined through no fault of anyone in football. The fair and consistent way is to scrap it and start again a fresh when the virus danger has cleared completely.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:41 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:

Firstly the season wouldn't start back up where it left off. Players would have recovered from injury and play in games they wouldn't have had the season continued uninterrupted. Secondly players would be rusty after such a long lay off leading to freak results.

Also games would be played in rapid succession which again is not the way it would have been.

This season is ruined through no fault of anyone in football. The fair and consistent way is to scrap it and start again a fresh when the virus danger has cleared completely.

Agree 100% with this view.
Scrap it for me, let everyone in football recover and start afresh when totally safe to do so.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Return to General Chat