‘ A new date for Premier & EFL matches ‘

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:06 pm

Football will not return on April 30 as Cardiff City, Swansea City, Leeds United and West Brom face promotion delay - reports

A new date for the re-start of the campaign is expected to be announced next week

By Glen Williams

Thursday 26th March 2920

Premier and EFL clubs have been informed that the continuing coronavirus outbreak has made any chances of the 2019/20 football season resuming by April 30 impossible, a report from the Mail has revealed.

A new date for the re-start of the campaign is expected to be announced next week, following a meeting between the Premier League and the EFL.

Football bosses have accepted that, due to the country currently in lockdown and players unable to train, that the prospect of the campaign resuming on April 30 is not at all feasible.

That means that Cardiff City, Swansea City and other clubs vying for promotion - including leading teams Leeds United and West Brom - face further delays before sealing their fates.

The UK has been in lockdown since Monday evening when Prime Minister Boris Johnson addressed the nation, pleading for everyone to play their part and help slow down the spread of COVID-19.

Last Thursday, the FA announced that the season would be on hold until April 30, at the earliest, after saying that a temporary suspension would be in place until just April 3 the week before.

We understand that the EFL board is now instructing clubs not conduct any form of training activity until April 14 at the earliest, which, of course, depends on the state the country finds itself in at that point, with the spread of the virus still, according to reports, a couple of weeks away from reaching its peak.

The EFL plan to keep all of its member clubs updated with the very latest developments as time goes on, as they plan to hold discussions with the Government and other football partners about reaching a decision of when training can possibly resume.
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: ‘ A new date for Premier & EFL matches ‘

Postby Jasonccfc » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:33 pm

Unless we get a total lockdown to eradicate this virus sooner i fear it will continue to disrupt everything for months and months
Jasonccfc

Postby NIBluebird » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:40 pm

We need 6-12 months

This isn't like snow

It's not seasonal and disappears
NIBluebird

Postby dogfound » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:49 pm

Jasonccfc wrote:Unless we get a total lockdown to eradicate this virus sooner i fear it will continue to disrupt everything for months and months

its not about eradicate as there is no cure ...the measures being taken are about trying to not overload the NHS while at the same time trying to increase NHS capacity..
dogfound

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:37 pm

dogfound wrote:
Jasonccfc wrote:Unless we get a total lockdown to eradicate this virus sooner i fear it will continue to disrupt everything for months and months

its not about eradicate as there is no cure ...the measures being taken are about trying to not overload the NHS while at the same time trying to increase NHS capacity..

I'm thinking that it will be like another form of flu when it's more controlled; not eradicated though.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby Fijiblue » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:04 pm

This is like a rain delay in tennis.

Play starts at 10am and finishes at 8pm.

It starts raining at 1pm and the forecast says it will continue all day.

They announce “no play before 2pm”, then “no play before 3pm” etc etc until there is no play left of the day.

If there is any meaningful football played in the rest of 2020 I would be stunned. I don’t even think they believe the dates they are giving.
Last edited by Fijiblue on Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fijiblue

Postby Jasonccfc » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:04 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
dogfound wrote:

I'm thinking that it will be like another form of flu when it's more controlled; not eradicated though.

Maybe eradicated wasn't the word to use i meant controlled.. Until we have a full lockdown i think it will increase and cause more disruption
Jasonccfc

Postby TheHangedMan » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:24 pm

Jasonccfc wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Maybe eradicated wasn't the word to use i meant controlled.. Until we have a full lockdown i think it will increase and cause more disruption

I thought we were in lockdown already....am I misunderstanding you?
Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious........
TheHangedMan

Postby spikeferndale » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:43 pm

This is not a full lock down. At the moment it is voluntary. The next stage will involve the army as we don't have enough police officers to enforce it.
My own personal opinion is, that I don't think we will see professional football played in this country until next year.
Hope I am wrong but things look as if they are going to take a turn for the worse from here on in.
I don't think people have factored in, that when this crisis is brought under control, a recovery sequence will be put in place by all professional organisations involved in top level support.
Only then will you get the teams back out on the grass.
spikeferndale

Postby TheHangedMan » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:03 am

spikeferndale wrote:This is not a full lock down. At the moment it is voluntary. The next stage will involve the army as we don't have enough police officers to enforce it.
My own personal opinion is, that I don't think we will see professional football played in this country until next year.
Hope I am wrong but things look as if they are going to take a turn for the worse from here on in.
I don't think people have factored in, that when this crisis is brought under control, a recovery sequence will be put in place by all professional organisations involved in top level support.
Only then will you get the teams back out on the grass.

I see your point, but I would suggest that our country is very different to many other European countries in so far as our police force, in the main, polices by consent of the people.

If we move away from that there could be trouble ahead, but I don't think we will, because as you say, we don't have enough police officers to control mass dissent. If the army steps in to curb any civil unrest we all have got a serious problem on our hands. But I think we'll be OK and common sense will prevail.
Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious........
TheHangedMan

Postby Thewifestheboss » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:17 am

How on earth did the plebs in charge think we were ever going to restart the season on the 30th April. This season must be esponged. We are talking about thousands of people dying so who cares if the season starts again.
Thewifestheboss

Postby Pembroke bluebird » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:14 am

Thewifestheboss wrote:How on earth did the plebs in charge think we were ever going to restart the season on the 30th April. This season must be esponged. We are talking about thousands of people dying so who cares if the season starts again.

Spot on peoples lives before ANY sport
Pembroke bluebird

Postby Pennydarrenblue » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:22 am

Thewifestheboss wrote:How on earth did the plebs in charge think we were ever going to restart the season on the 30th April. This season must be esponged. We are talking about thousands of people dying so who cares if the season starts again.

Totally agree. Scrap it all and start again when things are back to normal and not a day before.
Because really who cares.
Pennydarrenblue

Postby TERRYB » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:37 pm

Pennydarrenblue wrote:

Totally agree. Scrap it all and start again when things are back to normal and not a day before.

It wouldn't surprise me if this happens at their meeting next Friday, April 3rd, they can't just go on moving the goalposts for the restart, would be better to null and void this season.
TERRYB

Postby TERRYB » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:40 pm

TERRYB wrote:
Pennydarrenblue wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if this happens at their meeting next Friday, April 3rd, they can't just go on moving the goalposts for the restart, would be better to null and void this season.

I think they will scrap promotion and relegation and each Club will remain in its current division and carry its points over to start the new season. That is what I think will happen.
TERRYB

Postby Crayfish » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:00 pm

NIBluebird wrote:We need 6-12 months

This isn't like snow

The problem with this is if we have a lockdown for between six and twelve months it would bankrupt thousnds of businesses and create mass unemployment on a scale not seen since the Great Depression ruining people's lives. The solution would then be far worse than the problem.
Crayfish

Postby Chippy82 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:39 pm

Pembroke bluebird wrote:

Spot on peoples lives before ANY sport

Agreed I'm bored with no sport on but theres much more important things to worry about atm some posters on here who think it's a priority to get this season finished I honestly couldnt care less if it does or doesnt need to get this virus under control that for me is a much more pressing issue
Chippy82

Postby dogfound » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:00 am

Crayfish wrote:
NIBluebird wrote:We need 6-12 months

This isn't like snow

The problem with this is if we have a lockdown for between six and twelve months it would bankrupt thousnds of businesses and create mass unemployment on a scale not seen since the Great Depression ruining people's lives. The solution would then be far worse than the problem.

its not just bankrupting businesses .
personally im self employed but at an age i can take my private pension and claim various things .. my bigger concern is my health.. if i get a heart problem, stroke, develop cancer or any of the things that are far more likely to kill me than this virus i am now far less likely to be treated or saved.. never ever gave any of this a moments thought until now but it frightens the fking life out of me.. its as if everyone has forgotten people die of other things and are more likely to die of other things..
dogfound

Postby pengamblue » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:11 pm

To right m8
pengamblue

Postby Jasonccfc » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:12 pm

TheHangedMan wrote:
Jasonccfc wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Total lockdown so that the idiots are not roaming like if its the miners fortnight :laughing6:
Jasonccfc

Postby dogfound » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:32 pm

Jasonccfc wrote:
TheHangedMan wrote:
Jasonccfc wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Total lockdown so that the idiots are not roaming like if its the miners fortnight :laughing6:

its hardly like miners fortnight ,its quiet everywhere and its already driving the spike mate. lets cross figures its not to high for our NHS to deal with...
dogfound

Postby Foghorn65 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:44 pm

:) the miners fortnight :)

Can't remember last time I heard that.
Foghorn65

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:56 pm

That has to be the only solution! Couldn't believe reading yesterday that legal action might be taken by various parties in football to recover 'losses' due to bonus and sponsorship not being paid.

Guess who the biggest shouters? Agents :roll:
Tony Blue Williams

Return to General Chat