Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Who’s your best Cardiff centre-back since the Millennium?

Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:47 pm

Danny Gabbidon

Roger Johnson

Mark Hudson

Sol Bamba

26/03/2020

Cardiff City have experienced plenty of success in the 20 years since the new Millennium, and much of this can be owed to some of the impressive defensive figures boasted by the club during this period.

The Bluebirds have sealed two promotions to the Premier League while having also reached the FA Cup final and League Cup final, and the Welsh side have more often than not depended on some solid defensive presences on their way to these successes.

Here, we take a look at FOUR of the best centre-backs to have represented Cardiff over the last 20 years…

Danny Gabbidon

Gabbidon represented Cardiff right at the start of the new Millennium as he made the switch from West Brom in 2000, with the centre-back becoming a key player for the Bluebirds during the five seasons before his move to West Ham in 2005.

The Wales international made over 200 appearances for the Welsh side across two stints – with the defender ending his professional career in the Welsh capital – and his excellent displays mean he is worthy of a spot on this strong list.

Roger Johnson

Johnson has fended off some serious competition from the likes of Glenn Loovens and James Collins to gain a spot on this list, but his consistent performances throughout his three seasons at the club are enough to earn him a place among these names.

The Wycombe academy product helped the Bluebirds to the FA Cup final in the 2007/08 season, while he made a total of 136 appearances for Cardiff before his eventual move to Birmingham in the summer of 2009 in what was a high-profile deal.

Can you score full marks in this Cardiff quiz? Have a go now!

Mark Hudson

Hudson was an imperious figure at the back for the Bluebirds during his five years in south Wales between 2009 and 2014, with the defender choosing to stick with Cardiff despite a series of disappointing finishes before their long-awaited promotion in 2013.

The Fulham product was also named club captain upon his arrival at the club, and he was a regular feature in the side throughout his first four seasons at the club before his eventual lack of playing time resulted in him making the move to Huddersfield.

Sol Bamba

Bamba’s former centre-back partner Bruno Ecuele-Manga may feel aggrieved to miss out given his services to the Bluebirds, but Bamba is definitely worthy of his place following his excellent displays for Cardiff since Neil Warnock signed him in 2016.

The Ivory Coast international quickly cemented his spot in the side before playing a key role in Cardiff’s promotion to the Premier League in 2018, and he is still on Cardiff’s books at present despite a serious injury having hampered him over the past year.

Danny Gabbidon

Roger Johnson

Mark Hudson

Sol Bamba
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Who’s your best Cardiff centre-back since the Millennium

Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:52 pm

Manga, played in a poor team and then, often, out of position. Had pace, could pass and good in the air.

Also always made his CB partner look a better player.

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:00 pm

Gabbidon for me absolutely ozzed class that goal against Wrexham, if he hadn't been injured so much would of probably played for a club in the top 6.

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:04 pm

As much as I liked Hudson and Bamba if it was a shortlist of 4 they should never be on it

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:04 pm

piledriver64 wrote:Manga, played in a poor team and then, often, out of position. Had pace, could pass and good in the air.

Also always made his CB partner look a better player.

I’d have to agree with you mate.
I looked first at the level they played at and then considered them at their nest. Manga comes out top for me.

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:05 pm

Gabbidon
Collins
Manga
1 other

Woukd be my 4 to pick from

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:43 pm

Morrison has to be on that list.

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:17 pm

Darren purse he did well for us

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:42 pm

Manga for me. But going on this list I'd say Bamba.

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:36 pm

Purse had a second or so to suss

Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:57 am

Danny Gabbidon by a country mile. He was a League 1 player whilst marking Alessandro Del Piero out the Wales vs Italy game in 2002 for starters.

I always thought he should have moved into midfield as he was brilliant with the ball at his feet. He also did a great job at full/wing back.

As mentioned above he would have played for a top 6 or even a big European team if it wasn't for persistent injury.

Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:08 am

Danny gabbidon by a mile

Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:09 pm

Danny G ....James Collins not far away and what a pair when they were both fit

Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:00 pm

Glen lover should be on the list another player who did well for us

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:12 pm

cardiff 74 wrote:Glen lover should be on the list another player who did well for us

Glen Lover? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I assume you mean Glenn Loovens but if the rumours regarding the big Dutchman and Paul Parry's missus were true than perhaps Glen Lover is indeed a more appropriate name! :thumbup:

Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:53 pm

Manga by a million miles

Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:19 pm

Bruno for me too alongside one of the slower more traditional cbs like Mozza or Huds

Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:22 pm

Oh sorry if not Manga then Danny G

Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:45 pm

Bruno - it was a shame that we saw him so often at right back rather than where he was best.

Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:10 am

all good but Bamba played at the highest level and didn't look out of place and Bruno

Hudson a great player but I thought he found the premiership hard like Morrison

I loved Daren Purse Roger Johnson too but if I was to pick the best for me it is James Collins

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:58 pm

davids wrote:
cardiff 74 wrote:Glen lover should be on the list another player who did well for us

Glen Lover? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I assume you mean Glenn Loovens but if the rumours regarding the big Dutchman and Paul Parry's missus were true than perhaps Glen Lover is indeed a more appropriate name! :thumbup:

Sorry :laughing6:

Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:02 pm

Manga

Special mention for Juan Cala who I think was class every game he played for us (including his screamer against Southampton). He must have fallen out with someone obviously, but if we’re talking about the best player we’ve had, Juan Cala is up there with Bruno. Imagine then together ooofffffff

Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:16 pm

It's a tricky question as some fans will not have seen all 4 play. I have and its Gabbidon by a country mile. Premiership quality through and through. Oldies like me must also mention Don Murray although he predates the millennium :bluescarf:

Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:21 pm

The best of that list is was Gabbidon.

Suprised nobody has mentioned Glenn Loovens. He was a class player who left us too early

My top 5 would be :

1. Gabbidon
2. Manga
3. Caulker
4. Loovens
5. Bamba

Medel would be top if he had played in his proper position for us.

Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:13 pm

Ben turner seems to be forgotten

Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:10 pm

[quote="Forever Blue"]Who’s your best Cardiff centre-back since the Millennium?

Danny Gabbidon 3rd

Roger Johnson 1st

Mark Hudson 4th

Sol Bamba 2nd

However I would have Hudson as the our best leader may not have been the best player but always gave 100% Plus and a great captain. :bluebird: :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:29 pm

BarryWelsh88 wrote:Ben turner seems to be forgotten

Not forgotten just not in the same league as the others for me, probably only had one good season too.

Awful distribution and slow on the turn.

Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:37 pm

Foghorn65 wrote:Purse had a second or so to suss

Purse can remember Charlton away years ago he facing goal went to clear ball hit himself in face iwelmo ran through and scored I was soo pissed off

Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:38 pm

BarryWelsh88 wrote:Ben turner seems to be forgotten

Prob for a goal one of the best memories I had but christ hes nowhere near

Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:41 pm

5 loovens 4 johnson top 3 manga gabbidon ginger very torn to pick in order