‘ Swansea in trouble ‘

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘ Swansea in trouble ‘

Postby wez1927 » Tue May 05, 2020 2:31 pm

Swansea City: Trust who own over 21% of the club warns of risk to club's future

Tuesday 5th May 2020

BBC

Liberty Stadium, Swansea

Swansea City Trust - a fans' group - has a 21.1% share in Championship club Swansea City

Swansea City's Supporters Trust fears the club's future could be "at risk" if the right action is not taken to deal with the financial impact of the coronavirus crisis.

It has also called on the Professional Footballers' Association to change its stance and accept players' wage cuts to stop teams falling into administration.

The Trust says it is a "harsh reality" that costs cannot remain the same.

A statement called for "appropriate action" to counter the threat.

It comes after English Football League chairman Rick Parry said that clubs face a "£200m hole" by September, adding that there were sides "racking up creditors" and it was "difficult to say" how many clubs could go out of business as a result of the pandemic.

Swansea City chairman Trevor Birch has already admitted the club - and football in general - would face "testing times".

That warning came after announcing wage deferrals for the playing squad, repayable when crowds are allowed back, which he said would only assist short-term cash-flow.

With the prospect of the season resuming behind closed doors meaning no guaranteed match-day revenue in the near future, the Trust, which owns 21% of club shares, says the situation is unsustainable.

Despite a "productive" meeting with the club, the supporters' body warns: "The future of our football club is of great importance to us all. Without appropriate action being taken, its future is at risk.

"In terms of the playing squad and management teams, we need to ensure our costs match the new realities. It is patently clear that deferring costs until some unspecified point in the future is unsustainable.

"Without promotion to the Premier League, or a significant amount of investment, there will be no realistic way to pay them in the future.

"Cuts to the wage bill and other operating costs will be necessary for the duration of this crisis, and potentially longer as the economy tries to recover.

The Trust claims the advice of the PFA to its members has to change for EFL clubs to survive.

"The longer footballers and their union refuse to accept that a cut in wages is necessary, the more chance that we will see clubs enter administration or liquidation," it said.

"This may seem unfair. However, it is a harsh reality that costs cannot remain the same when revenues are cut so dramatically."

The Trust is urging all parties to work together "to ensure the club's survival".
Attachments
55A28468-E1E9-4EDD-A0C5-03E3E08BE9DB.jpeg
55A28468-E1E9-4EDD-A0C5-03E3E08BE9DB.jpeg (121.18 KiB) Viewed 9801 times
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

‘ Swansea in trouble ‘

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: ‘ Swansea in trouble ‘

Postby Sven » Tue May 05, 2020 3:58 pm

Surely not? :?

If the best run 'model' club in the history of football, who are the epitome of an example on how to run a club properly and make silk purses out of Sows ears are in trouble, what chance of the rest of us got...? :o :shock:

I jest of course (it's the apt thing to do when club whose temporary 'fans' have boasted so loudly of the above) and it simply raises more questions than answers of where their money has actually gone since the tenure in the Premier League and the sale of players amounting to over £100m (Sigurdsson was £45m on his own)?
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Charlie Harper » Tue May 05, 2020 4:03 pm

Where have I seen that headline twice previously ?

There wont be collection buckets this time I am sure :happy1: :happy1:
Mad bad and dangerous to know
Charlie Harper

Postby Sven » Tue May 05, 2020 4:06 pm

Charlie Harper wrote:Where have I seen that headline twice previously ?

Sure won't. They forwent that likelihood in this neck of the woods some time ago...not that it would dent the vast sums involved in football in the period between that situation and this! ;)
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Jasonccfc » Tue May 05, 2020 4:20 pm

Well if they have a collection bucket I don’t mind chucking in a few f**k all’s to the cause
Jasonccfc

Postby skidemin » Tue May 05, 2020 5:13 pm

its just a trust statement..
skidemin

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Tue May 05, 2020 5:21 pm

Sven wrote:Surely not? :?

If the best run 'model' club in the history of football, who are the epitome of an example on how to run a club properly and make silk purses out of Sows ears are in trouble, what chance of the rest of us got...? :o :shock:

I jest of course (it's the apt thing to do when club whose temporary 'fans' have boasted so loudly of the above) and it simply raises more questions than answers of where their money has actually gone since the tenure in the Premier League and the sale of players amounting to over £100m (Sigurdsson was £45m on his own)?

Watch out Chris!
Roathy will be putting together a 10 page response as we speak :thumbup:
bluebirdoct1962

Postby goats » Tue May 05, 2020 6:46 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Watch out Chris!
Roathy will be putting together a 10 page response as we speak :thumbup:

Maybe not :lol:
goats

Postby Charlie Harper » Tue May 05, 2020 9:22 pm

Sven wrote:

Sure won't. They forwent that likelihood in this neck of the woods some time ago...not that it would dent the vast sums involved in football in the period between that situation and this! ;)

:thumbup:
Charlie Harper

Postby danielrees17 » Tue May 05, 2020 10:17 pm

Hate seeing clubs in trouble and facing liquidation but in this case cheerio, can't stand them
danielrees17

Postby dogfound » Tue May 05, 2020 11:19 pm

Sven wrote:

no it wouldn't make a dent.
different times mate...its more than 20 pros a manager a coach and 2/3 groundsmen now.. its hundreds..
not that this article amounts to anything.. their trust seem to be the last people to find out about anything including who their co owners are.. :lol: :lol:
dogfound

Postby Sven » Wed May 06, 2020 2:08 am

dogfound wrote:
Sven wrote:

different times mate...its more than 20 pros a manager a coach and 2/3 groundsmen now.. its hundreds..
not that this article amounts to anything.. their trust seem to be the last people to find out about anything including who their co owners are.. :lol: :lol:

:thumbup: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know it's just 'talk' but let's make hay whilst the sun shines...! :occasion5: :ayatollah:
Sven

Postby Forever Blue » Wed May 06, 2020 8:17 am

Swansea City Supporters Trust warn club's future is at risk unless players accept pay cuts

Fans have warned that the very future of the club is at stake

By Tom Coleman

Swansea City Supporters Trust has warned the club's future will be at risk unless urgent action is taken to cut the wage bill.

The Trust says the Professional Footballers' Association needs to change its stance on only accepting wage deferrals amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

It claims players and the union need to accept the "harsh reality" that current costs are currently unsustainable, and has urged for appropriate action to be taken in order to alleviate the financial burden created by the suspension of the season.

There is still plenty of debate over what will happen to the rest of the current campaign, but any resumption of action is likely to be behind closed doors.

That is likely to come as a huge financial hit to clubs, with EFL chairman Rick Parry admitting on Tuesday that many would be facing a "£200m hole" by September, adding that some clubs could well end up going under.

Swansea have already announced wage deferrals for their playing squad in a bid to ease the burden on their finances, although chairman Trevor Birch has warned that there could well be further financial challenges.

Following a meeting with the club, a trust statement claimed : "The future of our football club is of great importance to us all. Without appropriate action being taken, its future is at risk.

"In terms of the playing squad and management teams, we need to ensure our costs match the new realities. It is patently clear that deferring costs until some unspecified point in the future is unsustainable.

"Without promotion to the Premier League, or a significant amount of investment, there will be no realistic way to pay them in the future.

"Cuts to the wage bill and other operating costs will be necessary for the duration of this crisis, and potentially longer as the economy tries to recover.

"The longer footballers and their union refuse to accept that a cut in wages is necessary, the more chance that we will see clubs enter administration or liquidation. This may seem unfair, however it is a harsh reality that costs cannot remain the same when revenues are cut so dramatically."
Attachments
CAD5D77D-18F6-4E5F-AACD-D478BC53F590.jpeg
CAD5D77D-18F6-4E5F-AACD-D478BC53F590.jpeg (305.1 KiB) Viewed 6034 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby BLUECHUGGY » Wed May 06, 2020 8:21 am

Nobody likes to see a football club fold but hey this is only a shit outfit who play at the jack shack they wont be missed
BLUECHUGGY

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Wed May 06, 2020 8:24 am

skidemin wrote:its just a trust statement..

Very true but it is also a statement about the dead bleeding obvious.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Bakedalasker » Wed May 06, 2020 8:35 am

dogfound wrote:
Sven wrote:

There is not much love lost between their Trust and the new owners. If I recall right the love affair the Trust had with Huw Jenkins evaporated overnight once they heard about the new owners.

For me a Trust is there to protect the interests of the fans. They are there to inform the fans of good and bad that is going on at the club. So credit must be given to them here. However, I doubt its going to make any difference what they say. it's not going to pull the Jacks out of their dilema. That can only come from the owners. Its not looking good for them then again they are not alone.
Bakedalasker

Postby NIBluebird » Wed May 06, 2020 9:59 am

Let them go out of business

Absolutely screwed local businesses last time

Need some good news
NIBluebird

Postby Pembroke bluebird » Wed May 06, 2020 10:07 am

NIBluebird wrote:Let them go out of business

Need some good news

That will do the Welsh National team the power of good :roll:
Pembroke bluebird

Postby Bluebina » Wed May 06, 2020 10:11 am

Bakedalasker wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Sven wrote:

There is not much love lost between their Trust and the new owners. If I recall right the love affair the Trust had with Huw Jenkins evaporated overnight once they heard about the new owners.

For me a Trust is there to protect the interests of the fans. They are there to inform the fans of good and bad that is going on at the club. So credit must be given to them here. However, I doubt its going to make any difference what they say. it's not going to pull the Jacks out of their dilema. That can only come from the owners. Its not looking good for them then again they are not alone.

Thet are a fine example of a brilliant well run fans trust, letting them sell to the Yanks was great bit of business :laughing6:
Bluebina

Postby Bluebina » Wed May 06, 2020 10:12 am

Need some good news

Don't we just!!!

Nice to hear some good news at last :thumbup:
Bluebina

Postby Bakedalasker » Wed May 06, 2020 1:29 pm

Bluebina wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Sven wrote:

Thet are a fine example of a brilliant well run fans trust, letting them sell to the Yanks was great bit of business :laughing6:

They knew nothing about the sale until it happened.
Bakedalasker

Postby Bluebina » Wed May 06, 2020 1:46 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Sven wrote:

They knew nothing about the sale until it happened.

Couldn't possibly happen Roathy said :laughing6: :thumbup:
Bluebina

Postby Trefelin06 » Wed May 06, 2020 6:57 pm

Lets face it, the thought of you not lasting more than one season in the prem yet we lasted seven is still killing you isn't it. You can just tell the agony screaming in that message
Trefelin06

Postby Charlie Harper » Wed May 06, 2020 7:02 pm

Trefelin06 wrote:

Lets face it, the thought of you not lasting more than one season in the prem yet we lasted seven is still killing you isn't it. You can just tell the agony screaming in that message

You ain't going to last this season, its called boom boom bust :thumbup:
Charlie Harper

Postby Jasonccfc » Wed May 06, 2020 7:28 pm

Trefelin06 wrote:

Do you honestly think we are in agony because you were in the premier league for seven seasons?
It's a forgotten memory for everyone except you..
Jenkins and co lined you up bent you over and rogered you are they still your heroes?
Go away peasant
Jasonccfc

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Thu May 07, 2020 8:39 am

Pembroke bluebird wrote:

Need some good news

That will do the Welsh National team the power of good :roll:

Any Welsh qualified 'talent' in the Swansea area have other options such as Cardiff, Newport or English based clubs :idea:
Tony Blue Williams

Postby GENERAL CHAT » Thu May 07, 2020 8:50 am

I'm actually glad they lasted 7 seasons in the prem. (never made much difference to me to be honest)
But after 7 seasons they had to have players with massive wages. The 7 seasons also attracted the attention of the "YANKS" (god bless em) All the members of that consortium will (as individuals) most probably be in some form of financial difficulties because of the current world pandemic. I just hope they all want to take their cash out and run for the Hollywood hills. :laughing6:
Edmund: Have you ever been to Wales, Baldrick?
Baldrick: No, but I've often thought that I'd like to.
Edmund: Well don't. It's a ghastly place. Huge gangs of tough, sinewy men roam the valleys terrifying people with their close-harmony singing
GENERAL CHAT

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Thu May 07, 2020 8:58 am

Trefelin06 wrote:

Since 2009 we have had a stadium which is bigger and better than yours (33k against 20k) plus CCS has become the home of the Welsh International team and helped deliver the first appearance in a Euros final in 2016 and a second in 2021. Also we have the record attendances for a Welsh club in the Premiership in fact we must have the top 38 ranking attendances before Swansea make an appearance ;)

We have also been promoted twice to your once and both times we went up automatically once as Football League Champions and once as runners up, whilst you went up luckily through the play offs and didn't even finish 3rd :roll:

Let's face it all of the above must be killing you as it highlights which club really is the biggest and best for Welsh football :bluescarf:
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Thu May 07, 2020 9:00 am

GENERAL CHAT wrote:I'm actually glad they lasted 7 seasons in the prem. (never made much difference to me to be honest)
But after 7 seasons they had to have players with massive wages. The 7 seasons also attracted the attention of the "YANKS" (god bless em) All the members of that consortium will (as individuals) most probably be in some form of financial difficulties because of the current world pandemic. I just hope they all want to take their cash out and run for the Hollywood hills. :laughing6:

The only real beneficiary of Swansea's 7 years in the Premier League was Hugh the Spew who is now a very rich man whilst his 'beloved' club crash and burn 8-)
Tony Blue Williams

Postby GENERAL CHAT » Thu May 07, 2020 9:02 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Trefelin06 wrote:

Since 2009 we have had a stadium which is bigger and better than yours (33k against 20k) plus CCS has become the home of the Welsh International team and helped deliver the first appearance in a Euros final in 2016 and a second in 2021. Also we have the record attendances for a Welsh club in the Premiership in fact we must have the top 38 ranking attendances before Swansea make an appearance ;)

We have also been promoted twice to your once and both times we went up automatically once as Football League Champions and once as runners up, whilst you went up luckily through the play offs and didn't even finish 3rd :roll:

Let's face it all of the above must be killing you as it highlights which club really is the biggest and best for Welsh football :bluescarf:

7 years in the prem will count for ferk all if they go bust....bring it on.. :notworthy:
Edmund: Have you ever been to Wales, Baldrick?
Baldrick: No, but I've often thought that I'd like to.
Edmund: Well don't. It's a ghastly place. Huge gangs of tough, sinewy men roam the valleys terrifying people with their close-harmony singing
GENERAL CHAT

Next

Return to General Chat