52%
No
44%
Maybe
4%

Total votes : 25

Poll: Primary schools back june 1st

Sun May 10, 2020 6:24 pm

I'm not sure I'm happy for my children to go back to school in 3 weeks time.

There will be a lot of arguments in families over that decision

My first thought is Will they be kept separate from children of NHS workers who are in contact with the Virus in hospitals as they could be unknown carriers? As harsh as that sounds it's a valid point as those children are at a higher risk.

Will we get fined if we choose to keep them home longer to ensure it is safe ?

How do you get all those kids to social distance?

Re: Primary schools back june 1st

Sun May 10, 2020 7:25 pm

thomasblue wrote:I'm not sure I'm happy for my children to go back to school in 3 weeks time.

My first thought is Will they be kept separate from children of NHS workers who are in contact with the Virus in hospitals as they could be unknown carriers? As harsh as that sounds it's a valid point as those children are at a higher risk.

I work in the profession mate and I’ve been at hub school on shifts to look after children of key workers. It was hard to keep the older children apart so what it would be like for little ones I dread to think. I honestly can’t think of a perfect scenario for me to be 100% happy to return as a teacher other than drugs / vaccine that’ll keep everyone safe.

Sun May 10, 2020 7:32 pm

What's happening with schools in Wales?

Bethan Lewis

BBC Wales Family & Education Correspondent

On Thursday, Education Minister Kirsty Williams said schools wouldn’t reopen on 1 June
However the Welsh Government hasn't ruled out anything after the 'beginning of June', including later that month
The Welsh Government has promised at least three weeks' notice before a ‘phased’ return
A document on schools is due this week but there's no mention so far of it including any sort of timescale for reopening

Sun May 10, 2020 7:53 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:What's happening with schools in Wales?

Bethan Lewis

On Thursday, Education Minister Kirsty Williams said schools wouldn’t reopen on 1 June
However the Welsh Government hasn't ruled out anything after the 'beginning of June', including later that month
The Welsh Government has promised at least three weeks' notice before a ‘phased’ return
A document on schools is due this week but there's no mention so far of it including any sort of timescale for reopening

It's looking like English schools only on June 1st which Boris did not mention in the broadcast.
Will Wales really defy Westminster ? Even with the 3 weeks they can still go back first week in June in Wales. Its likely that will happen as well

Sun May 10, 2020 8:04 pm

thomasblue wrote:

Bethan Lewis

It's looking like English schools only on June 1st which Boris did not mention in the broadcast.
Will Wales really defy Westminster ? Even with the 3 weeks they can still go back first week in June in Wales. Its likely that will happen as well

I don't know mate - but there are a few teachers on this forum who are in a better place to help .

Sun May 10, 2020 8:12 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:
thomasblue wrote:

Bethan Lewis

I don't know mate - but there are a few teachers on this forum who are in a better place to help .

Unfortunately Ms Williams is playing party politics I think. She, along with the rest of the plumbs in the Welsh Assembly, are so desperate to be standing alone, apart from England that they will do anything to do different to them. Krankie up in Scotland is the same. If England go bank to school on 1st of June I seriously wouldn’t be surprised if wales goes back the week after. If England send reception kids first, Wales will send year 6!!! Rant over.

Sun May 10, 2020 8:24 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
thomasblue wrote:I'm not sure I'm happy for my children to go back to school in 3 weeks time.

I work in the profession mate and I’ve been at hub school on shifts to look after children of key workers. It was hard to keep the older children apart so what it would be like for little ones I dread to think. I honestly can’t think of a perfect scenario for me to be 100% happy to return as a teacher other than drugs / vaccine that’ll keep everyone safe.

So as a teacher looking after the children of key workers . Will those children being as they are around people dealing with covid every day pose a threat to other kids in the class if they return together and they are not able to use social distancing?
Do you think they shod be kept apart ?

Sun May 10, 2020 8:29 pm

Question: How many school age children with no underlying conditions have died ?

Sun May 10, 2020 8:43 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Question: How many school age children with no underlying conditions have died ?

There are around 10 Million Under 15 years old in the UK - 2 have died .

The above figures were given this morning on the Andrew Marr show BBC .
I have not checked if this correct - but this has come from the guy who the Gov get their figures from .

Sun May 10, 2020 8:46 pm

thomasblue wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

So as a teacher looking after the children of key workers . Will those children being as they are around people dealing with covid every day pose a threat to other kids in the class if they return together and they are not able to use social distancing?
Do you think they shod be kept apart ?

Good point. I suppose they should be but I don’t think they will.

Sun May 10, 2020 8:47 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Question: How many school age children with no underlying conditions have died ?

I see your point but they could be carriers, in which case all school staff could be at risk.

Sun May 10, 2020 8:49 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:

I have not checked if this correct - but this has come from the guy who the Gov get their figures from .

I watched it, I almost spat out my bacon and eggs when i heard the statistician talk. I have 100% agreed with the lockdown but we need to take stock and review what we now know and take the knee jerk reaction s and emotions out of it.

Sun May 10, 2020 9:03 pm

As a senior leader in a private school it is of course in our interest to be opening back up as soon as possible. But for that very reason we have been working (since closure) to produce procedure and practice for that that happen as soon as it is ok to do so. Why in Wales has nobody been doing this? We're a small school of 300! Surely Kirsty and her cronies had the foresight to see this coming?! Oh wait... That's not slagging Bozza off.

Sun May 10, 2020 9:47 pm

llan bluebird wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:

I watched it, I almost spat out my bacon and eggs when i heard the statistician talk. I have 100% agreed with the lockdown but we need to take stock and review what we now know and take the knee jerk reaction s and emotions out of it.

the percentages have not changed from early on. its just most people don't look and the message has been consistently frightening with very little context. the emphasis being ANYONE can die.. harsh reality is Anyone can die when covid is not around.. just below 1% { 550,000 UK souls last year } mostly old but some are children, some work in factories and some are doctors and nurses..

Sun May 10, 2020 10:06 pm

skidemin wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:

the percentages have not changed from early on. its just most people don't look and the message has been consistently frightening with very little context. the emphasis being ANYONE can die.. harsh reality is Anyone can die when covid is not around.. just below 1% { 550,000 UK souls last year } mostly old but some are children, some work in factories and some are doctors and nurses..

will add Office of National Statistics weeks 11 to 17 { the ones with covid deaths this year } show that deaths of children aged between 1 and 14 is 109 deaths from all causes for the 7 weeks... the corresponding 7 weeks in 2019 deaths amongst the same age group was 140.

Re: Poll: Primary schools back june 1st

Sun May 10, 2020 10:11 pm

Stats from Andrew Marr today
10 Million under 15’s in England and Wales - 2 have died with covid 19 on those death certificate and they may have had something else wrong with them.
Under 25’s 17 Million 26 deaths recorded many will have had other conditions, that’s the same as a couple of days of deaths from general accidents and sudden death.
Over 90’s so far over 1% of them have died from covid 19 so 10,000 times the risk.
The expert says it’s really an over 75’s killer and almost all with underlying health issues.
They should stay home the rest of us should be getting back to work,

Sun May 10, 2020 10:23 pm

Bluebina wrote:Stats from Andrew Marr today
10 Million under 15’s in England and Wales - 2 have died with covid 19 on those death certificate and they may have had something else wrong with them.
Under 25’s 17 Million 26 deaths recorded many will have had other conditions, that’s the same as a couple of days of deaths from general accidents and sudden death.
Over 90’s so far over 1% of them have died from covid 19 so 10,000 times the risk.
The expert says it’s really an over 75’s killer and almost all with underlying health issues.

how has it taken until now for anyone to actually say this on TV.. ?

Mon May 11, 2020 8:22 am

skidemin wrote:
Bluebina wrote:Stats from Andrew Marr today

how has it taken until now for anyone to actually say this on TV.. ?

Panic fear and it's been way too successful, the under 25's could have carried on right through and isolated from their parents, we would have built up some heard immunity already, hardly any would have had any symptoms.

Mon May 11, 2020 9:21 am

thomasblue wrote:

Bethan Lewis

It's not a case of defying Westminster. Health and education, among other things, are devolved issues so we are perfectly entitled to make our own decisions. :thumbright:

Mon May 11, 2020 9:28 am

moonboots wrote:
thomasblue wrote:

Bethan Lewis

It's not a case of defying Westminster. Health and education, among other things, are devolved issues so we are perfectly entitled to make our own decisions. :thumbright:

They are doing it to justify there existance. Nothing to do with it being the correct call (which it may well be) it's all to do with forcing a wedge between the union which is why they did it Friday and Scotland are doing the same. It's pathetic and dangerous. If it was to do with making a decision they would have done it today after the announcement not friday.
They should all be working together as a country not sepersting us making it all harder for everybody

Mon May 11, 2020 9:36 am

thomasblue wrote:
moonboots wrote:
thomasblue wrote:

Bethan Lewis

They are doing it to justify there existance. Nothing to do with it being the correct call (which it may well be) it's all to do with forcing a wedge between the union which is why they did it Friday and Scotland are doing the same. It's pathetic and dangerous. If it was to do with making a decision they would have done it today after the announcement not friday.
They should all be working together as a country not sepersting us making it all harder for everybody

Spot on we should be showing a united front, but they are playing petty politics and causing unnecessary confusion, I really want a vote to reverse devolution!!!

Mon May 11, 2020 9:52 am

Bluebina wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
moonboots wrote:
thomasblue wrote:

Bethan Lewis

Spot on we should be showing a united front, but they are playing petty politics and causing unnecessary confusion, I really want a vote to reverse devolution!!!

100% agree with all you say. Isn’t there a political party formed re reversing devolution? Sure a mate of mind told me this. If so, they’ve got my vote.
Some people look like politicians but don’t sound like one, some sound like a politician but don’t look like one, Mark Drakeford........ :wave:

Mon May 11, 2020 10:46 am

Return to school 'reckless', says UK teachers' union

Pupils in Reception, Year 1 and Year 6 could return to school from 1 June in England, the prime minister said in his speech on Sunday.

But a teaching union has called the idea "reckless" and raised concerns about how young children can carry out social distancing.

Dr Mary Bousted, joint general secretary of the National Education Union, said: "Coronavirus continues to ravage communities in the UK and the rate of Covid-19 infection is still far too great for the wider opening of our schools."

Geoff Barton, general secretary of the Association of School and College Leaders, said that "social distancing is extremely difficult" with children in Reception and Year 1.

While a return for secondary pupils has not been entirely ruled out, a senior official suggested that "realistically" they would not go back to school in this academic year.

Mon May 11, 2020 2:23 pm

Schools 'disappointed' by government advice

Reaction to the Government's new coronavirus strategy document - 'Our Plan to Rebuild' - is still coming in thick and fast.

Geoff Barton from the Association of School and College Leaders has told the BBC that his organisation is "a bit disappointed" by the guidance that the youngest children are set to be the first to go back to school.

He said that the youngest children are both those who will find it hardest to understand the distancing rules, and the hardest for teachers to control.

"We're a bit disappointed to have something so counter-intuitive," he said, adding that argues it would have made more sense to start reopening schools to the older students.

Mon May 11, 2020 5:51 pm

No chance.

Mon May 11, 2020 7:19 pm

Great let big kids back so teachers can stay 20ft away wearing their ppe! What about the millions of parents that will he forced to stay at home without money to look after primary kids?
Reading all the different articles from unions and teachers it's becoming clear that they do not want to go back to work until sept at earliest as they are putting reasons not to open at every turn.

Mon May 11, 2020 7:19 pm

The answer Chris Whitty just gave the country was disgusting.

He just said that reception and year one will go back before the rest to test whether or not the virus spreads again. In other words they are cannon fodder.
It is a test to see if they can reopen schools fully, what if the virus spreads and the kids get sick ?
If they are not sure then they should not be opening them at all
Mine will not be going until at least july now after that answer. I was on the fence but that did not give me any confidence at all

Mon May 11, 2020 7:25 pm

thomasblue wrote:The answer Chris Whitty just gave the country was disgusting.

He just said that reception and year one will go back before the rest to test whether or not the virus spreads again. In other words they are cannon fodder.
It is a test to see if they can reopen schools fully, what if the virus spreads and the kids get sick ?
Mine will not be going until at least july now after that answer. I was on the fence but that did not give me any confidence at all

Welsh schools no chance going back in july as WG have said wont opening june and considering that it will take 3wks to set up school it will leave couple weeks before summer hols that if teachers can be bothered to go back to set schools up because they are resistant to going in early to do so... like said they are trying everything they can to stall going back :o

Mon May 11, 2020 8:18 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
thomasblue wrote:The answer Chris Whitty just gave the country was disgusting.

Welsh schools no chance going back in july as WG have said wont opening june and considering that it will take 3wks to set up school it will leave couple weeks before summer hols that if teachers can be bothered to go back to set schools up because they are resistant to going in early to do so... like said they are trying everything they can to stall going back :o

WAG could give us the all clear early June and with that 3 weeks notice we could go back late June. Is possible All

Mon May 11, 2020 8:31 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

I see your point but they could be carriers, in which case all school staff could be at risk.

Latest theory by scientists in Switzerland is that kids might not even be able to carry the virus now let alone get it, let’s hope that is the case. As there are so few patients with covid in hospitals now surely the risk must be minimal of passing it through to key workers and into schools. When they shut the r rate was 3, now it’s 0.4 if you take out care homes. Moreover, the6 have another 6 weeks off coming up mid July, surely it would make sense to just do staggered classes for a few weeks to give the kids a semblance of normality and some very stressed parents a chance to go to work, to pay the bills.....