Sweden suffered its deadliest month in nearly 30 years in Ap

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Tue May 19, 2020 9:29 am

Sweden suffered its deadliest month in nearly 30 years in April, figures reveal as country continues to adopt a more relaxed approach to fighting Covid-19

April saw the most deaths recorded in a month in Sweden since December 1993

A total of 10,458 deaths were recorded in the country of 10.3 million inhabitants

Sweden has refused to implement strict lockdown measures seen across Europe
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Sweden suffered its deadliest month in nearly 30 years i

Postby skidemin » Tue May 19, 2020 11:54 am

Forever Blue wrote:Sweden suffered its deadliest month in nearly 30 years in April, figures reveal as country continues to adopt a more relaxed approach to fighting Covid-19

April saw the most deaths recorded in a month in Sweden since December 1993

A total of 10,458 deaths were recorded in the country of 10.3 million inhabitants

Sweden has refused to implement strict lockdown measures seen across Europe

I would imagine its been the deadliest month for most European nations .
and for Europe as a whole since 1945
skidemin

Postby TopCat CCFC » Wed May 20, 2020 4:23 pm

Sweden has now overtaken the UK, Italy and Belgium to have the highest coronavirus per capita death rate in the world, throwing its decision to avoid a strict lockdown into further doubt.

According to figures collated by the Our World in Data website, Sweden had 6.08 deaths per million inhabitants per day on a rolling seven-day average between May 13 and May 20.

This is the highest in the world, above the UK, Belgium and the US, which have 5.57, 4.28 and 4.11 respectively.

However, Sweden has only had the highest death rate over the past week, with Belgium, Spain, Italy, the UK and France, still ahead over the entire course of the pandemic.

State epidemiologist Anders Tegnell, the spokesman for Sweden's outlier coronavirus strategy, dismissed the figures on Tuesday night, arguing that it was misleading to focus on the death toll over a single week.
TopCat CCFC

Postby epping blue » Wed May 20, 2020 4:51 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:Sweden has now overtaken the UK, Italy and Belgium to have the highest coronavirus per capita death rate in the world, throwing its decision to avoid a strict lockdown into further doubt.

According to figures collated by the Our World in Data website, Sweden had 6.08 deaths per million inhabitants per day on a rolling seven-day average between May 13 and May 20.

This is the highest in the world, above the UK, Belgium and the US, which have 5.57, 4.28 and 4.11 respectively.

However, Sweden has only had the highest death rate over the past week, with Belgium, Spain, Italy, the UK and France, still ahead over the entire course of the pandemic.

State epidemiologist Anders Tegnell, the spokesman for Sweden's outlier coronavirus strategy, dismissed the figures on Tuesday night, arguing that it was misleading to focus on the death toll over a single week.

He's right and whilst I think they've been reckless to play Russian roulette with their citizens you have to really judge them at the end of this. If the infection rate has been so high that they have little or no second wave and have an economy with relatively little damage then may be the Swedish people will judge more kindly in due course. There's no winners in the coronavirus lottery.
epping blue

Postby skidemin » Wed May 20, 2020 5:24 pm

epping blue wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:Sweden has now overtaken the UK, Italy and Belgium to have the highest coronavirus per capita death rate in the world, throwing its decision to avoid a strict lockdown into further doubt.

He's right and whilst I think they've been reckless to play Russian roulette with their citizens you have to really judge them at the end of this. If the infection rate has been so high that they have little or no second wave and have an economy with relatively little damage then may be the Swedish people will judge more kindly in due course. There's no winners in the coronavirus lottery.

indeed. under their strategy they were never going to have that up and down curve but the irony of this { deaths per million over a rolling 7 day } stat is although their deaths per capita are the highest , its also nowhere near their worst 7 day period.
skidemin

Postby Bluebina » Wed May 20, 2020 9:56 pm

epping blue wrote:

It will be interesting to see, they are building herd immunity while keeping the economy going and the death rate is in the same range as Belgium, Spain, Italy, UK and France, so I agree this may turn out to have been a good strategy?
Bluebina

Postby thomasblue » Thu May 21, 2020 6:20 am

Bluebina wrote:
epping blue wrote:

It will be interesting to see, they are building herd immunity while keeping the economy going and the death rate is in the same range as Belgium, Spain, Italy, UK and France, so I agree this may turn out to have been a good strategy?

No way is it a good strategy
Full lock down and nothing else is the only way to go
Any country that does it differently are wrong and idiots
thomasblue

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Thu May 21, 2020 9:48 am

thomasblue wrote:

Maybe but an undoubted idiot would be a country which released elderly COVID-19 positive patients from hospital to Nursing Homes.

It is perfectly reasonable to argue that the UK's death rate would have been cut by 10's of thousands had that policy not been used.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby skidemin » Thu May 21, 2020 10:13 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
thomasblue wrote:

Maybe but an undoubted idiot would be a country which released elderly COVID-19 positive patients from hospital to Nursing Homes.

It is perfectly reasonable to argue that the UK's death rate would have been cut by 10's of thousands had that policy not been used.

much is being made of this but it happened in most countries early on as all health services were desperate for beds..... and even now you get tested on Tuesday get a negative result come through on the Friday the move gets arranged for the Monday so all though the person hasn't got covid they've had 6 days to get it.
skidemin

Postby LaBamba » Thu May 21, 2020 10:30 am

There is literally no evidence that herd immunity is a possibility with Covid... as stated during the briefings. But yeah they should definitely try to generate herd immunity with a disease which it may or may not be possible. Absolutely genius move!
LaBamba

Postby skidemin » Thu May 21, 2020 11:00 am

LaBamba wrote:There is literally no evidence that herd immunity is a possibility with Covid... as stated during the briefings. But yeah they should definitely try to generate herd immunity with a disease which it may or may not be possible. Absolutely genius move!

there is literally no evidence that its not possible either.
it does protect us from outbreaks of a multitude of nasty things that would kill us though.. and long term with no vaccine and a virus that isn't going to jump on a ship and float off its something we should all hope happens here and throughout the world ..lockdowns restrict spread but quite simply you can not lock down forever. so I hope it is a genius move.
skidemin

Postby Bluebina » Thu May 21, 2020 1:30 pm

LaBamba wrote:There is literally no evidence that herd immunity is a possibility with Covid... as stated during the briefings. But yeah they should definitely try to generate herd immunity with a disease which it may or may not be possible. Absolutely genius move!

Yes, all the experts say it would work, but the cost is too great to do so, but if a country was mad enough to carry on as normal and let nature take its course, the virus would die out, along with less than 1% of the population.
Bluebina

Postby Bluebina » Thu May 21, 2020 1:37 pm

thomasblue wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
epping blue wrote:

Full lockdown is not the best method, South Korea had the best methods!!!

South Korea -- which in February had the largest outbreak outside of China -- used a combination of widespread testing, aggressive contact tracing, stern public health measures and digital technology to contain the coronavirus without having to impose a widespread lockdown. It also maintained a strict quarantine regime.

I would add to that social distancing and banning large groups much earlier would have been a better strategy also, but of course all this is with hindsight. .
Bluebina

Postby epping blue » Thu May 21, 2020 1:58 pm

Bluebina wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
epping blue wrote:

South Korea -- which in February had the largest outbreak outside of China -- used a combination of widespread testing, aggressive contact tracing, stern public health measures and digital technology to contain the coronavirus without having to impose a widespread lockdown. It also maintained a strict quarantine regime.

I would add to that social distancing and banning large groups much earlier would have been a better strategy also, but of course all this is with hindsight. .

They required a very high level self discipline and compliance from its people. Could have never been achieved here. My wife works in Newham for the NHS. Not involved in this so she's been going in once a week during the crisis. There's never been a time when the street corners or parks etc have been free from groups / gangs of adolescents. Little wonder its Britain's worst affected borough and surprising its never been mentioned as contributing to the higher BAME death rate.
epping blue

Postby skidemin » Thu May 21, 2020 2:03 pm

Bluebina wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
epping blue wrote:

I think he is being sarcastic mate.
skidemin

Postby rumpo kid » Thu May 21, 2020 2:21 pm

Think it’s why the Germans have done well also.. very disciplined. Unfortunately, many here are entitled.

We have a kindergarten police force tho..
rumpo kid

Postby skidemin » Thu May 21, 2020 7:11 pm

rumpo kid wrote:Think it’s why the Germans have done well also.. very disciplined. Unfortunately, many here are entitled.

We have a kindergarten police force tho..

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-coronavir ... a-52852286

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKCN2270RD
skidemin

Postby Foghorn65 » Fri May 22, 2020 1:54 pm

Report this week revealed Sweden has the highest per capital death toll
Foghorn65

Postby skidemin » Fri May 22, 2020 2:01 pm

Foghorn65 wrote:Report this week revealed Sweden has the highest per capital death toll

no mate..it had the highest per capita for a rolling 7 day period .... the very next day it rolled forward and then they didn't..
overall they are 6th highest... its all in the thread..
skidemin

Postby JasonFowler1991 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:42 pm

Lots of reports out there now about Lockdowns vs No Lockdown. Two below:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/cor ... -jp-morgan

https://wmbriggs.com/post/30833/
JasonFowler1991

Postby JasonFowler1991 » Sat May 23, 2020 7:48 am

JasonFowler1991

Return to General Chat