Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Balearic Islands last 2 days : 17 new cases , 0 new hospital

Sat May 16, 2020 3:43 pm

Balearic Islands last 2 days : 17 new cases , 0 new hospital arrivals , 0 new intensive care and 0 new deaths :thumbright: :thumbright:

Re: Balearic Islands last 2 days : 17 new cases , 0 new hosp

Sun May 17, 2020 11:59 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Balearic Islands last 2 days : 17 new cases , 0 new hospital arrivals , 0 new intensive care and 0 new deaths :thumbright: :thumbright:

Looking a lot brighter now Annis :thumbup: fingers crossed a 2nd wave doesn't appear. :ayatollah: :old: :bluebird:

Mon May 18, 2020 7:58 am

bluesince62 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Balearic Islands last 2 days : 17 new cases , 0 new hospital arrivals , 0 new intensive care and 0 new deaths :thumbright: :thumbright:

Looking a lot brighter now Annis :thumbup: fingers crossed a 2nd wave doesn't appear. :ayatollah: :old: :bluebird:

Yes looking good thanks :thumbright:

But i reckon every country will get a 2nd wave if No vaccine is found.

Although if the Balearic Islands dont open up, then we prob would not get a 2nd wave, but we need tourism to survive.

Mon May 18, 2020 11:10 am

Thankfully No deaths fit the last 2 days as well in Baleares :thumbright:

Wed May 20, 2020 12:09 am

Forever Blue wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

Although if the Balearic Islands dont open up, then we prob would not get a 2nd wave, but we need tourism to survive.

Yeah that's a cafch 22 with the need for tourism,and the risk involved jn doing so Annis, was speaking to my friend in Turkey yesterday, and he says erdogan is pushing for late July early August, but even then,he could already be in heavy debt!,but I do wonder,in his country they only had a partial lockdown, yet their death toll is only 4,200 so far,and they seem to be on the downward slope of the peak?? And credit to erdogan (that hurt ;) ) he has sent ppe to 50 countries as well,although some was not of correct standard. Fair play,he seems to have got the balance spot on considering they have a large populous of elderly,and a population of 84 million too.I see you posted about spain stockpiling ppe,a good move imho,let's hope bungle (remember him,from rainbow with zippy :laughing5: )Johnson, does the same,forewarned is forearmed as the saying goes :thumbup: let's hope they can all re start sooner rather than later,was depressing listening to sunak saying we are heading for the worst resession in history!! But sadly,that is one thing I believe them on.hope the weather isn't too nice there for you :laughing5: turkey experiencing the hottest may in 70 odd years,temperatures as high as 43c!! What I would give for a bit of that :mrgreen: :old: :bluebird:

Wed May 20, 2020 8:29 am

bluesince62 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

Yeah that's a cafch 22 with the need for tourism,and the risk involved jn doing so Annis, was speaking to my friend in Turkey yesterday, and he says erdogan is pushing for late July early August, but even then,he could already be in heavy debt!,but I do wonder,in his country they only had a partial lockdown, yet their death toll is only 4,200 so far,and they seem to be on the downward slope of the peak?? And credit to erdogan (that hurt ;) ) he has sent ppe to 50 countries as well,although some was not of correct standard. Fair play,he seems to have got the balance spot on considering they have a large populous of elderly,and a population of 84 million too.I see you posted about spain stockpiling ppe,a good move imho,let's hope bungle (remember him,from rainbow with zippy :laughing5: )Johnson, does the same,forewarned is forearmed as the saying goes :thumbup: let's hope they can all re start sooner rather than later,was depressing listening to sunak saying we are heading for the worst resession in history!! But sadly,that is one thing I believe them on.hope the weather isn't too nice there for you :laughing5: turkey experiencing the hottest may in 70 odd years,temperatures as high as 43c!! What I would give for a bit of that :mrgreen: :old: :bluebird:

The problem over here is bankruptcy really could then lead to many sad stories. When the virus started in March Balearic Islands had just had 5 months of no work , they’ve now had 3 more months, it will be winter before you know it and that will then be 3 winters for them.
I’ve already seen many businesses pack up.
We are going to have to take it slowly with the tourists.

Wed May 20, 2020 8:48 am

bluesince62 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

Its a difficult ask to see many risking a holiday abroad by air until very late this summer. We're pretty sure, if there's an outbreak then resorts even countries will shut down at the drop of hat, potentially stranding hundreds of thousands across the continent. They largely got away with it in February as there's a fraction of tourists away at that time of year. I may put my family in a car to France but I doubt I'll consider putting them on a plane before the end of the year. I'm wary about Azerbaijan next year to be honest, not a place you'd want to be stranded with a temperature stopping you getting on a flight.

Turkey's performance is remarkable although age is clearly a factor. The average age in Turkey is just 30. Its 40 - 45 across most of western Europe. That's a huge difference in average age terms but clearly doesn't explain it. Better climate and spending more time outdoors is probably a significant factor. It cant be down to be a better organised and resourced health care system though. In time we'll have a better idea of what's causing western countries to be disproportionally hit by this disease. Everything that we see as a factor explaining London's terrible toll, Istanbul has more of. Bigger population, worse poverty, worse pollution etc

Wed May 20, 2020 11:32 pm

epping blue wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

Its a difficult ask to see many risking a holiday abroad by air until very late this summer. We're pretty sure, if there's an outbreak then resorts even countries will shut down at the drop of hat, potentially stranding hundreds of thousands across the continent. They largely got away with it in February as there's a fraction of tourists away at that time of year. I may put my family in a car to France but I doubt I'll consider putting them on a plane before the end of the year. I'm wary about Azerbaijan next year to be honest, not a place you'd want to be stranded with a temperature stopping you getting on a flight.

Turkey's performance is remarkable although age is clearly a factor. The average age in Turkey is just 30. Its 40 - 45 across most of western Europe. That's a huge difference in average age terms but clearly doesn't explain it. Better climate and spending more time outdoors is probably a significant factor. It cant be down to be a better organised and resourced health care system though. In time we'll have a better idea of what's causing western countries to be disproportionally hit by this disease. Everything that we see as a factor explaining London's terrible toll, Istanbul has more of. Bigger population, worse poverty, worse pollution etc

Have to agree :thumbup: also some scientists are now saying being in the sun,the virus wil die a lot quicker? Could that be a factor,as they are experiencing their hottest may for nearly 80 years! 43c in some areas. I know we have around 15% of population here, over the age of 70,for spain it's about 12% in Turkey it's just below 10%,but that still equates for around 8 million plus :? Older people,plus the fact the country never really locked down,as only u21's & those over 70 were told to stay at home lots of work carried on through lockdown and major cities like Istanbul,izmir Ankara etc,j
Have weekend lockdown in place for all but essential stuff.it's certainly something to look at,to see if lessons can be learned from their stance on the virus. I do believe your right regarding the public being a bit worried,so cannot see much tourism outside this country,taking place this year? But thinking on what I've seen here, a fair few will be willing to take that risk. :old: :bluebird:

Thu May 21, 2020 9:55 am

Flights start from 26th June to the Islands from the Uk (Easy Jet) :thumbright:

Thu May 21, 2020 10:43 am

Very difficult times for the holiday resorts of southern Europe. Cant afford to open but cant afford not to open either. Everything that kept the virus at bay to date is being reversed. Worse in fact, not only will freedoms be relaxed for their own residents but they're inviting visitors from all over Europe. In my view there's a misguided belief that some of these places have dealt with the virus better. The reality is, they've probably experienced it less. The virus hasn't changed and the virus hasn't passed and a potential for a catastrophe could be on its way. Hope I'm wrong.

Thu May 21, 2020 11:10 am

epping blue wrote:Very difficult times for the holiday resorts of southern Europe. Cant afford to open but cant afford not to open either. Everything that kept the virus at bay to date is being reversed. Worse in fact, not only will freedoms be relaxed for their own residents but they're inviting visitors from all over Europe. In my view there's a misguided belief that some of these places have dealt with the virus better. The reality is, they've probably experienced it less. The virus hasn't changed and the virus hasn't passed and a potential for a catastrophe could be on its way. Hope I'm wrong.

There is sadly a lot of sense in what you’ve just posted .