Dave Jones and the Bluebirds' best striking duo Now, if the

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Wed May 20, 2020 9:23 am

Dave Jones and the Bluebirds' best striking duo

Now, if the manager above knew something about transfer strategy, so did Dave Jones.

By Glenn Jones

Wednesday 20th May 2020

The decision to pair up Jay Bothroyd and Michael Chopra proved a masterstroke in 2008, with the pair enjoying an extremely fruitful three years leading the line together.

Chopra had, of course, been at the club earlier, smashing goals left, right and centre to earn a move to Sunderland, but bringing him back, initially on loan before signing him permanently the next year, was arguably the best decision Jones ever made.

There was an incredible chemistry between the tall, strong and skilful Bothroyd and the sniping, deadly finisher Chopra. A match seemingly made in heaven.

They had an excellent relationship, too, although off-field problems with Chopra's marriage saw the relationship become a little strained at times, owing to the closeness of their partners, but that never affected their performances on the pitch.

There were 108 goals in 282 appearances and an England cap between them.
Attachments
9B93B18E-B025-4CB7-AD11-B9CECA61615C.jpeg
9B93B18E-B025-4CB7-AD11-B9CECA61615C.jpeg (63.48 KiB) Viewed 2084 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Dave Jones and the Bluebirds' best striking duo Now, if

Postby 2blue2handle » Thu May 21, 2020 9:03 am

i think the way the game has changed we dont see so many partnerships like before, chops and Boothrod were brilliant as were Thorne and Earnie.
2blue2handle

Postby ReesWestonSuperMare » Thu May 21, 2020 9:20 am

Ive loved watching stant and Dale , Then Earnie / Thorne , the Nathan Blake years. But for me the best most attacking and enjoyable football Ive ever watched was under Jones with Chopra / Bothroyd - then with McCormack backing them up along with Whittingham and everyone else who played in that era. Wish we could have that team back again.
ReesWestonSuperMare

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Thu May 21, 2020 9:25 am

2blue2handle wrote:i think the way the game has changed we dont see so many partnerships like before, chops and Boothrod were brilliant as were Thorne and Earnie.

Yes the game has moved on. But my favourite formation was 4-4-2. To get the best out of the formation a team needed two old fashioned wingers getting to the bi-line and providing quality crosses into the opposition box for the front two.

Generally though this attacking system was more effective at home where teams are generally on the front foot.

I would love NH to try this system against teams from lower down the league who generally come to CCS and park the bus.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Thu May 21, 2020 9:28 am

ReesWestonSuperMare wrote:Ive loved watching stant and Dale , Then Earnie / Thorne , the Nathan Blake years. But for me the best most attacking and enjoyable football Ive ever watched was under Jones with Chopra / Bothroyd - then with McCormack backing them up along with Whittingham and everyone else who played in that era. Wish we could have that team back again.

I agree with most of your choices but I always thought that McCormack was a better option than Chopra. In fact Ross McCormack was my favourite player from that period.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby powysblue » Thu May 21, 2020 6:31 pm

2blue2handle wrote:i think the way the game has changed we dont see so many partnerships like before, chops and Boothrod were brilliant as were Thorne and Earnie.

Yes, the 4-4-2 formation with the "Big Guy" "Little Guy" strike partnerships have been Brill throughout the years for us.

All of the above and below, plus "Tony Evans, Adrian Alston", "John Toshack, Brian Clark" (although Clarky wasn't that Little !)

All great memories. :clap:
powysblue

Postby valleyrambill » Thu May 21, 2020 6:52 pm

Chopra was the best striker I have seen in a bluebird shirt I loved Earnie of course but Chopra could have something special
if only he sorted his head out very sad what happened as on his day one of best strikers
[color=#0040BF][/color]
valleyrambill

Return to General Chat