Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Magnus Wolff Eikrem, Mats Moller Daehli and Joe Inge Bernet,

Thu May 21, 2020 10:12 am

The Norwegian nightmare

By Glen Williams

Thursday 21st May 2020

Magnus Wolff Eikrem, Mats Moller Daehli and Joe Inge Bernet, three names that make many City fans shudder even to this day.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's reign as Cardiff City boss is considered a disaster by all who witnessed it. His tactics, squad rotation and, above all else, his transfers were enough to leave you bald from head scratching.

The Norwegian trio, all of whom had been at Solskjaer's previous club Molde, were unmitigated disasters.

Eikrem was once named in a Manchester United Champions League squad, bizarrely, but he was more poodle than Wolff while at the Bluebirds. He lasted from January to December, making only six league appearances before Russell Slade terminated his contract.

Bernet got one start in the FA Cup in an defeat at Wigan in February 2014 and came off the bench for 10 minutes in his only taste of Premier League action, a humiliating 4-0 home defeat at the hands of Hull a week later.

Daehli was the pick of the bunch, especially under Solskjaer, but was barely used when Slade came in and he was quickly shipped off to Freiburg in Germany the following January.

Re: Magnus Wolff Eikrem, Mats Moller Daehli and Joe Inge Ber

Thu May 21, 2020 11:12 am

I think this trio was bad in itself but what has been missed is that Ole failed to notice (or sign) Erling Braut Haaland who is now on the World Stage with Borrusia Dortmund.

Thu May 21, 2020 12:48 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:I think this trio was bad in itself but what has been missed is that Ole failed to notice (or sign) Erling Braut Haaland who is now on the World Stage with Borrusia Dortmund.

Haaland was 13 years old when OGS came here. but he did sign him for Molde a couple of years later.

Thu May 21, 2020 2:24 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:I think this trio was bad in itself but what has been missed is that Ole failed to notice (or sign) Erling Braut Haaland who is now on the World Stage with Borrusia Dortmund.

I thought Daehli was good :bluescarf:

Thu May 21, 2020 7:51 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

I thought Daehli was good :bluescarf:

He was a great player who like others was not used correctly

The other two were gambles that didnt work , it happens but I dont think any were particularly bad signings they just were not the right signings at that time. All three would get in out team at the moment