NATHAN BLAKE SAYS; " NO NO NO WAY / CRAZY "

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Fri May 22, 2020 8:30 am

Nathan Blake: Football's return amid coronavirus 'crazy'

BBC

Friday 22nd May 2020

Former Wales striker Nathan Blake says it is "crazy" for footballers to go back to training or matches until the spread of coronavirus has been eliminated.

Most Premier League players returned to training on Wednesday, 20 May, next week the Championship returns.

Adrian Mariappa confirmed he is one of three players at Watford to have tested positive for Covid-19 and captain Troy Deeney has refused to train.

Asked if he would return now, Blake said: "Hell no, no way, no chance."

The ex-Cardiff City, Wolverhampton Wanderers and Bolton Wanderers forward told BBC Radio Wales Breakfast: "I wouldn't be putting myself at risk.

"And I wouldn't expect any fans to put themselves at risk and come and watch a game."

NATHAN BLAKE:

"This is entertainment at the end of the day and all this "the show must go on" and all that nonsense - it's easy to say, it's a little different in reality though.

"So for me, black people are clearly affected in a different way to white people or our white counterparts.

"I wouldn't be thinking about it [returning] at all.

"I would be expecting someone to come to me and guarantee my safety and we're not there yet."

Chelsea's N'Golo Kante is among those to have missed training over coronavirus fears, with the backing of his manager Frank Lampard while Deeney cited fears for his family's health.

"You've got a situation where it is literally life or death for a lot of people; a lot of people have been touched by what's gone on," Blake added. "I think it's crazy, really (to consider returning to football)."

Different stages of government regulations are in place and evolving in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

The Welsh Government has yet to confirm it will give official backing to Swansea City and Cardiff City's return to training as plans are forged for the Championship to return.

The UK government dictates events in England, where the go-ahead for contact training is expected to be given "later this week".

However, Blake is unconvinced by that prospect.

NATHAN BLAKE:

"People are scared out of their wits. I heard about people being dished out fines and what have you for being out and about [in Wales] and at the same time you're asking professional footballers just to return to action as if everything's A-okay.

"So for me, personally, I totally understand why people have their reservations about going back.

"I just think you're asking too much. I think you have to get to a position where you've got the whole situation in every country in the United Kingdom under control and then you can start to move forward when people's stresses are eased a bit.

"This isn't about whether you've got money or not or whether you're a football fan or sports fan or not; like I said, it's a case of life and death first and foremost and I don't see why anyone should be asked to play and go back to training until you know for sure that this virus isn't being contracted by people and being passed on to other people."

Mariappa and two staff members at Watford and Burnley assistant manager Ian Woan were among six positive Premier League tests for coronavirus.

The positive tests at Watford were among 748 conducted in professional football last weekend. But the seemingly low number of cases does not impress Blake.

"That's fine, but this is a virus, right, not something you can see. Everyone's an expert but no-one really knows exactly what to say, what to do." he added.

"So from a players' perspective are you going out there fully aware that every single player and every single member of staff is being tested or in and around you is going through the right procedures?

"It's almost impossible to manage.

"I think you just have to get to the position, like I said where the [UK] countries, are getting zero cases and people are allowed to move on and move forward with their lives."
Attachments
_112394527_gettyimages-1524678.jpg
_112394527_gettyimages-1524678.jpg (37.34 KiB) Viewed 4278 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: NATHAN BLAKE SAYS; " NO NO NO WAY / CRAZY "

Postby pembroke allan » Fri May 22, 2020 9:12 am

ELIMINATED? that according to scientists may never happen or certainly can be years away! so I assume Blake thinks football will be ok not playing for several years? Its debatable about this season continuing but his suggestion is ridiculous...... :o
pembroke allan

Postby Whistler » Fri May 22, 2020 9:53 am

I heard him on the radio and I must say it was a case that he wanted to make a "big" statement. when you view the protocols being put in place for football, the risk has been considerably reduced.
If you think how supermarket staff, health workers, care workers etc are having to put their positions of work at risk with far less protection than our rather well paid footballers, the debate is a little weak
We will all have to try to return to some kind of normal life. I have worked in the public environment throughout this crisis I am not whinging about it :old:
Whistler

Postby skidemin » Fri May 22, 2020 9:58 am

pembroke allan wrote:ELIMINATED? that according to scientists may never happen or certainly can be years away! so I assume Blake thinks football will be ok not playing for several years? Its debatable about this season continuing but his suggestion is ridiculous...... :o

its going to take a hell of a lot to move peoples mind sets..
skidemin

Postby pembroke allan » Fri May 22, 2020 10:17 am

skidemin wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:ELIMINATED? that according to scientists may never happen or certainly can be years away! so I assume Blake thinks football will be ok not playing for several years? Its debatable about this season continuing but his suggestion is ridiculous...... :o

Yes people getting used to staying at home! But at some point soon that as got to change because waiting for vaccine is not an option and not a reason to stay home :roll:
pembroke allan

Postby Whistler » Fri May 22, 2020 10:27 am

As much as there maybe a debate about the actual numbers. The Covid 19 has resulted in 36,000 deaths out of a population of 66 million people in this country. That makes it a 1 in 1,833 chance of dying from covid 19 in this country. :old:
Whistler

Postby skidemin » Fri May 22, 2020 1:01 pm

Whistler wrote:As much as there maybe a debate about the actual numbers. The Covid 19 has resulted in 36,000 deaths out of a population of 66 million people in this country. That makes it a 1 in 1,833 chance of dying from covid 19 in this country. :old:

if your under 60 { im not but footballers certainly are } and have no KNOWN serious underlying illness its actually 1 in 440,000

which is actually a lower risk than death by drowning.
skidemin

Postby Sven » Fri May 22, 2020 1:17 pm

Nathan is entitled to his opinion (that's all it is) but should cover his comments with the disclaimer "some people" rather than speaking for everyone... ;)
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby skidemin » Fri May 22, 2020 1:37 pm

Sven wrote:Nathan is entitled to his opinion (that's all it is) but should cover his comments with the disclaimer "some people" rather than speaking for everyone... ;)

I do think if you have a platform you also do have to be reasonable with expectations ..
zero infections . and someone come to him with a guarantee... and best of all it has nothing to do with money...unless of course you haven't got any and NEED to work which is the case for millions who have found themselves working through this..
skidemin

Postby Dazzy » Fri May 22, 2020 5:31 pm

Nathan Blake is a right.....(enter your expletive here). I’ve no respect for him whatsoever. He’s got very little to offer to the world of football
Who needs Cantona, when we’ve got Stantona?
Dazzy

Postby Foghorn65 » Fri May 22, 2020 6:10 pm

No no no no no....like the bloke from Vicar of Dibley
Foghorn65

Postby Danny Says » Fri May 22, 2020 6:16 pm

He was just on Wales Today with the San Francisco Bridge behind him wearing a ridiculous pair of red glasses on his head showing off his equally ridiculous goat beard.
He has no style. :!:
Danny Says

Postby bridgendbluebird30 » Fri May 22, 2020 7:21 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Yes people getting used to staying at home! But at some point soon that as got to change because waiting for vaccine is not an option and not a reason to stay home :roll:

Why is waiting for a vaccine not an option? Oxford University are making excellent progress and are very positive that they have developed an effective and safe vaccine and it has been stated that 30m could be produced by September. The results of their public trials will be completed in June/July with hopefully positive news. Numerous other groups are also currently testing on humans worldwide.
bridgendbluebird30

Postby llan bluebird » Fri May 22, 2020 7:24 pm

I normally stick up for professional footballers as they and their short term employer signed a legal agreement after some from of negotiating. If i was them i wouldn't have reduced my salary when clubs asked, its not their job to manage the clubs finance, that's others.

With the clubs now allowed to continue their business they have every right to expect their players to train,play and perform commercial duties within the government guideline. If a player doesn't feel its not right for them then IMO the club and the player needs to come to some sort of legal agreement. If they want to take a six month leave of absence or authorised leave without pay then that's probably the best form of action.

Many people have had to go into work worried sick about bringing it home, but had to do it. Oh to be in the postion to say fcuk it I am rich enough to say i quit or take unpaid.
llan bluebird

Postby pembroke allan » Sat May 23, 2020 8:38 am

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Why is waiting for a vaccine not an option? Oxford University are making excellent progress and are very positive that they have developed an effective and safe vaccine and it has been stated that 30m could be produced by September. The results of their public trials will be completed in June/July with hopefully positive news. Numerous other groups are also currently testing on humans worldwide.

Because there us no garauntee effective one will be found in next 6months to a year that is the general opinion of all experts! But guess gvmnt can support country until then to see if one is found, Dont forget common cold and 4 other corvid family viruses have no vaccine despite many years trying to find one! Just because trials will be completed july doesn't mean be available then..... :old:
pembroke allan

Postby Whistler » Sat May 23, 2020 9:43 am

If we all take the view that nothing could happen until its totally safe, then we will be locked away in our homes until we die :old:
Whistler

Postby goats » Sat May 23, 2020 11:26 am

If this went on for say 2 years there would be no clubs left so I guess plenty of footballers would be looking for another job.....
goats

Postby pembroke allan » Sat May 23, 2020 12:15 pm

goats wrote:

If this went on for say 2 years there would be no clubs left so I guess plenty of footballers would be looking for another job.....

More like 6mnths and be lot unemployed footballers! His choice of words has not helped him simply because more than one expert saying may not be irradicated ever.... so just live with it seems to be answer
pembroke allan

Postby skidemin » Sat May 23, 2020 1:11 pm

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
skidemin wrote:

its not an option because you can not rely on a vaccine we do not have and might not come along.. millions are being thrown at developing one so there has to be a certain amount of optimism , but being realistic there are things we have no vaccines for despite spending decades and a fortune attempting to develop..
skidemin

Postby fred keenor » Sat May 23, 2020 1:27 pm

If they do not want to play , furlough them
fred keenor

Return to General Chat