Anyone remember a Welsh player for Bristol Rovers

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Arfur Europe » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:46 pm

A customer was telling me earlier today in Bristol that he (the customer) was on the fringes of the Rovers 1st team and they had a 17 year old left winger called Andrew Evans (think he said Andrew) who'd broken into their first team. My client wasn't sure where exactly he was from, but he was sure it was the South Wales valleys and this would've been around mid to late 80s??

Anyway, we were on about the fickle nature of football and how you also need a lot of luck to 'make it' as a pro, and sometimes contacts in the case of Steve White who he mentioned by name and said he was cack but his old man knew all the Rovers Directors and was a sponsor etc. He said this young lad was very fast and gifted but was crunched by some right back after skinning him a few times in a pre season friendly, snapped his ankle, stretchered off and never played again. :(

Just wondering if anyone knew him or if he followed the City etc
Arfur Europe

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Anyone remember a Welsh player for Bristol Rovers

Postby It's been emotional » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:50 pm

I can remember a Craig Evans who played on the wing not sure if it was for rovers but know he had a nasty injury
It's been emotional

Postby s8wrd » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:10 pm

Definately...Andrew Evans........from Ton Pentre and still walks around with a limp from that crunching tackle....ended his career there and then.....would be late 40's early 50's now

Was a very good player ...mid to late 70's..............watches the City occasionally :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
s8wrd

Postby rontom » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:42 pm

s8wrd wrote:Definately...Andrew Evans........from Ton Pentre and still walks around with a limp from that crunching tackle....ended his career there and then.....would be late 40's early 50's now

Was a very good player ...mid to late 70's..............watches the City occasionally :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

He played for Rovers 1973/75 ended by that tackle.
rontom

Postby 406 lantin liege » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:04 pm

steve williams from barry played for rovers
during the 80's as a striker .
sure he scored a few for them
sadly gone now r.i.p.
406 lantin liege

Postby Arfur Europe » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:21 pm

rontom wrote:
s8wrd wrote:Definately...Andrew Evans........from Ton Pentre and still walks around with a limp from that crunching tackle....ended his career there and then.....would be late 40's early 50's now

He played for Rovers 1973/75 ended by that tackle.

Cheers lads. Glad he's still got an interest in the game. Just goes to show how precarious football, well life in reality, can be.

Makes you think though, what could've been for him.
Arfur Europe

Postby Arfur Europe » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:05 am

Listening to the news earlier, it reminded me that my wurzle buddy also said Tony Pulis was playing for Rovers at the time. I asked him what he was like i.e. was he a beer and ladies man, and he said 'no, he was boring as f**k'
:lol:
Arfur Europe

Postby Demus » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:35 pm

I remember him, he would have played with people like Frankie Prince and David Williams, they always had a lot of welsh players back then, I think their scouting was more effective in the area than ours at that time.........Phil Bater was another one.
Demus

Postby ninianblue » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:47 pm

406 lantin liege wrote:steve williams from barry played for rovers
during the 80's as a striker .
sure he scored a few for them
sadly gone now r.i.p.

thats mad, i met steve, god, many years ago, having a few pints in the addy, got talking to him, and he was telling me, im going to play for rovers next week, he was a city fan, so i gave him some kind words, joking, :ayatollah:
ninianblue

Postby blue nile » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:53 pm

I went to school with Andrew Evans, Treorchy Comprehensive School, even as a youngster you could see he was an amazing player. Pity he broke his leg, did he also play for Southamton ? :ayatollah:
blue nile

Postby rakkki » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:15 am

Hi all

Andrew is my wifes mothers brother.He still lives in ton pentre and i was with him on tuesday watching my son play for west glam cardiff development versus rct cardiff development.My son is also a left footed striker/winger with lots of pace we won the game 7 nil and cameron scored 3.He has been on a 6 week trial earlier this year with cardiff academy but for whatever reason they kept playing him at left back and not striker which is his best position.If he can turn out to be anything as good as andrew he will go a long way just hope cardiff realise this and give him a chance at striker.He currently plays for cardiff dev resolven afan nedd and port talbot academy in 18 games so far this season he has scored 38 goals and if he has anywhere near what andrewhad he will go a long way.
rakkki

Postby Nedd Glas » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:28 am

There was a bloke in Ely, Cardiff years ago who worked for Brizzle Rovers as a scout. Crazy, I thought, because I never saw a CCFC one. I think his name was Mr Butt and he had a son my age who followed CCFC.
Nedd Glas

Postby Pinster25 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:36 am

rakkki wrote:Hi all

Andrew is my wifes mothers brother.He still lives in ton pentre and i was with him on tuesday watching my son play for west glam cardiff development versus rct cardiff development.My son is also a left footed striker/winger with lots of pace we won the game 7 nil and cameron scored 3.He has been on a 6 week trial earlier this year with cardiff academy but for whatever reason they kept playing him at left back and not striker which is his best position.If he can turn out to be anything as good as andrew he will go a long way just hope cardiff realise this and give him a chance at striker.He currently plays for cardiff dev resolven afan nedd and port talbot academy in 18 games so far this season he has scored 38 goals and if he has anywhere near what andrewhad he will go a long way.

Sounds good and promising :ayatollah:
Pinster25

Postby countybounty » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:30 am

Nedd Glas wrote:There was a bloke in Ely, Cardiff years ago who worked for Brizzle Rovers as a scout. Crazy, I thought, because I never saw a CCFC one. I think his name was Mr Butt and he had a son my age who followed CCFC.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Mon ... #section_1
countybounty

Postby rakkki » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:25 pm

No Andrew didnt play for southampton he got his leg broken by a southampton player.From what my mother in law tells me when he was 17 and playing for bristol rovers he got a trial for man utd and they were ready to sign him but he broke down in the meeting because he was home sick and decided he wanted to go back to rovers.Two years later he broke his leg and never played again.What a fickle game football can be as he was going a long way.
rakkki

Postby vikinblue » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:51 pm

Wayne Powell from Trethomas played for Rovers for a few seasons in the 70's :ayatollah:
vikinblue

Postby novice » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:46 pm

Cardiff scouts were never at the games when we were kids,there were often Luton and always Bristol Rovers scouts at games.Martin Thomas from Senghenydd played in goal for Rovers for years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Tho ... _born_1959)
novice

Postby Pricey » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:15 pm

Demus wrote:I remember him, he would have played with people like Frankie Prince and David Williams, they always had a lot of welsh players back then, I think their scouting was more effective in the area than ours at that time.........Phil Bater was another one.

Roverrrzzz had a youth team that played in the Cardiff youth league called Clifton Villa in the late 60's
Pricey

Postby Ref » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:27 pm

vikinblue wrote:Wayne Powell from Trethomas played for Rovers for a few seasons in the 70's :ayatollah:

Also David Pipe from Bedwas was there a few years back, now captain of Newport County.
Ref

Postby 64JACK » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Dont know what it was with Bristol Rovers scouting back in the 70's but they certainly had a lot of welsh players of all ages. I know of a guy down this way, Huw Jenkins was his name. Played in goals for them and capped by Welsh scoolboys. Dont know what happened too him after that. If anyone knows anything then let me know! ;)
64JACK

Postby JD 1968 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:31 pm

I remember Andy played against him and he mostly got the better of me a speedy tricky winger think he had is injury against Southampton it ended a very promising career
JD 1968

Postby rumpo kid » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:43 pm

They had Stan Montgomery scouting for them in the 70’s, I can remember him at our games(Corries) when I was about 10..Neil Slatter also was a Cardiff boy who played for Rovers..
rumpo kid

Postby rumpo kid » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:40 pm

Interesting character Montgomery.. pro footballer and first class cricketer for Glamorgan, 200 plus appearances for city.
rumpo kid

Postby skidemin » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:56 pm

Arfur Europe wrote:A customer was telling me earlier today in Bristol that he (the customer) was on the fringes of the Rovers 1st team and they had a 17 year old left winger called Andrew Evans (think he said Andrew) who'd broken into their first team. My client wasn't sure where exactly he was from, but he was sure it was the South Wales valleys and this would've been around mid to late 80s??

Anyway, we were on about the fickle nature of football and how you also need a lot of luck to 'make it' as a pro, and sometimes contacts in the case of Steve White who he mentioned by name and said he was cack but his old man knew all the Rovers Directors and was a sponsor etc. He said this young lad was very fast and gifted but was crunched by some right back after skinning him a few times in a pre season friendly, snapped his ankle, stretchered off and never played again. :(

Just wondering if anyone knew him or if he followed the City etc

remember being chuffed we signed White.. he had been the leagues top scorer the previous season and we already had Dale and Howarth..
skidemin

Postby JulesK » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:39 am

Oh Fond memories, my favourite matches were Cardiff v The Gas. :bluescarf:
Keeping the Faith since '74.
JulesK

Postby Sneggyblubird » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:55 am

The most enjoyable thread I've read for sometime on here.A thread about football,I hope it catches on. :lol:
Sneggyblubird

Postby skidemin » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:49 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:The most enjoyable thread I've read for sometime on here.A thread about football,I hope it catches on. :lol:

I agree...
it really doesn't help having all these arm patches. doing the commie kier before every game et etc etc... its really not fans bringing politics into football its the authorities, the clubs and the players...
skidemin

Postby TopCat CCFC » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:57 pm

rumpo kid wrote:They had Stan Montgomery scouting for them in the 70’s, I can remember him at our games(Corries) when I was about 10..Neil Slatter also was a Cardiff boy who played for Rovers..

Neil Slatter - Spot On - Remember playing against this guy football / cricket many moons ago while in school :o
Another from that Whitchurch school who have had many a few pupils who have done well in later life ;)
TopCat CCFC

Postby RadnorRoad » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:11 am

Frankie Prince - from Cogan in Penarth. Much loved by the Tote End because he was a skinhead. Again, 1970s. It's true that Rovers had a better scouting set up in Wales then than City did
RadnorRoad

Postby rumpo kid » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:41 am

Our Frankie was'nt as popular in the Tote end..
rumpo kid

Return to General Chat