Weakest Championship In Years? // Of course all games are di

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:47 am

Weakest Championship In Years? //

Of course all games are difficult and of course anyone can beat anyone - but am I alone in thinking that the 20/21 season has the weakest Championship we have been involved in ? I don't like this overconfidence feeling that I have - but realistically who do you think is better than us ?

Automatic is a real possibility and anything below Playoffs wil be a disappointment to me next season.

I believe that Tan will not spend a penny more than we sell - but the nucleous of the team will stay and whoever we discard will be more than compensated for by cheaper and better replacements. An exciting season with lots of expectations.

This takes nothing away from Neil Harris as for me Harris has done far better than anyone thought he would and it would be great to see what he can achieve if Tan fully backs him. Ext season and City go for it.

Opinions?
Attachments
F93D5878-A620-41B7-8931-AFCC4599764F.jpeg
F93D5878-A620-41B7-8931-AFCC4599764F.jpeg (31.36 KiB) Viewed 5740 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Weakest Championship In Years? // Of course all games ar

Postby jimmy_rat » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:56 am

Agree. Even if we keep all that we have I think they'll only improve. As much as we'd all love a 20 goal striker, that's going to cost over 10m! It ain't gonna happen. Were going to have to rely on what we have and Glatzel is slowly getting better.

Pick up a couple of frees and loans to freshen the place up. Young hungry players.

It does seem NH is a good coach and tactician. He's also improving.

I'm with you. Anything less than Play offs will be disappointing.

Have a good rest and go again.
jimmy_rat

Postby Humphrey » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:07 am

The championship has not been weak - unfortunately the top two, certainly Leeds were far better than every other team in the league (stats do not lie). Albiet they lost to Cardiff on the return to playing after lockdown - Cardiff just woke them up. Previous games they won 5 on trot without conceding.
Consider the "new teams" coming into the division.
Norwich - Bournemouth - Watford. Forest will be challenging, Stoke will be up there, Cardiff will perform better than the Swans no doubt, Even consider Barnsley with their wealthy owners and excellent manager.
A tough season ahead for Cardiff - just being realistic.
Humphrey

Postby Pencoed » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:51 am

I think Bournemouth will be very strong they were hit horrendously with injuries this season and listening to an interview yesterday they said they may sell Ake and one other for big money but will keep the majority. Watford also got a lot of good players but you never know what's going to happen next with them.
The 3 coming up will all be happy just to stay up you'd think. Except Boro and Stoke to be much better next season and either Fulham or Brentford to be in the mix.
We can definitely compete for the top six if we keep are form since the restart top 2.
Pencoed

Postby oohahhPaulMillar » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:58 am

Totally disagree, I think the championship has been very good this season

The top 4 were a fair bit ahead of everyone else, all 4 very, very good teams

After a slow start we turned into a “decent team” but lacked quality at times and our finishing and balls into the box just wasn’t good enough

If we keep the squad intact and add 2/3 quality signings we will be highly competitive again next season
oohahhPaulMillar

Postby pembroke allan » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:36 am

Does not matter whether it's the strongest or weakest In years or ever, One thing will remain and that is unpredictability of results and that makes it the hardest league to play in :old:
pembroke allan

Postby skidemin » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:17 am

no idea where these stronger / weaker ideas come from...is it team names ?
skidemin

Postby Bluebina » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:25 am

skidemin wrote:no idea where these stronger / weaker ideas come from...is it team names ?

Exactly, it gets stronger every year, with premier league players loaned in for experience, the teams change but it gets harder every year, as said above the teams coming down will be very strong, although many struggle to adapt as we did for the first six months.

We have a great base, also as said add an out and out Striker, a left-back and some wingers and we will be pushing for the top two still :thumbup:
Bluebina

Postby skidemin » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:34 am

Bluebina wrote:
skidemin wrote:no idea where these stronger / weaker ideas come from...is it team names ?

Exactly, it gets stronger every year, with premier league players loaned in for experience, the teams change but it gets harder every year, as said above the teams coming down will be very strong, although many struggle to adapt as we did for the first six months.

We have a great base, also as said add an out and out Striker, a left-back and some wingers and we will be pushing for the top two still :thumbup:

yep the more money the premier league clubs spend on foreign talent , the more good players find themselves playing in this division.. are Leeds stronger than Bournemouth ? i doubt 1 single Leeds player would have got in Bournemouths first 11....Leeds is just a bigger name..
skidemin

Postby Crayfish » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:02 pm

One of our problems is our last few managers have been useless at getting in good young premier league players on loan. Look what a difference Brewster made to Swansea this season Tammy Abraham to Aston Villa last season. We never seem to able to get in one or two good youngsters from the big premier league clubs.
Crayfish

Postby thomasblue » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:58 pm

I would saybits probably tougher

Norwich coming down with a very good squad at championship level , they've spent no money so will be able to invest again

Bournemouth will be very good if they keep the players

Watford will be favourites, they have the best player in the league in Delafaou and the best striker in Deeney. The squad is big and strong so will be suited to the cbampionship.

We will have the losers from this years final who will again challenge the automatic places.

Forest will be strong again but probably bottle it

Middlesbrough have Warnock so anything can happen with them

Others will run close to the play offs like Preston Derby Millwall and Stoke .

The team coming up look decent this time aswell

Its very hard to pick a winner.

Cardiff will be one of the group though and Automatic places are the new bench mark for this squad next season.
thomasblue

Postby RICK+CCFC » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:13 pm

Fed up of hearing the same rhetoric every end of season. Same old same old. This season was no more difficult, or easier than the one before, and the one before that, and the one before that, and the one before that,,,,, so on, and so on.
RICK+CCFC

Postby thomasblue » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:17 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:Fed up of hearing the same rhetoric every end of season. Same old same old. This season was no more difficult, or easier than the one before, and the one before that, and the one before that, and the one before that,,,,, so on, and so on.

Its a forum for discussion

The discussion is about the strength of the league this year compared to next. Its different every year and it is easier some years compared to others.

Remember Leicester winning the premier league ? Was it not weak that season ?
thomasblue

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:19 pm

thomasblue wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:Fed up of hearing the same rhetoric every end of season. Same old same old. This season was no more difficult, or easier than the one before, and the one before that, and the one before that, and the one before that,,,,, so on, and so on.

The discussion is about the strength of the league this year compared to next. Its different every year and it is easier some years compared to others.

Rick, shocked at you with those comments??

Its about different opinions and as Thomas said its about how we feel this season was on and us fans feel next seasons Championship will be, just our opinions,

No bad feeling.
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby skidemin » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:00 pm

thomasblue wrote:

was it weak ? the teams you would ordinarily think would win x amount of games did not.. but you could argue that was because the over all standard was higher that year... there is no formula for this
skidemin

Postby TopCat CCFC » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:03 pm

No Easy Games In The Championship ;)
TopCat CCFC

Postby bluesince62 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:28 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:No Easy Games In The Championship ;)

Agree 100%,the toughest and yet most exciting league,for me anyway,as you can never get a nailed on result,from one week to the next! Didn't I see a post not long ago,that stated that not one of the bottom five upon restart,ended up being relagation? I was upset at not reaching the dizzy heights this year,but feel quite upbeat and excited about the new one!! :ayatollah: :old: :bluebird:
bluesince62

Postby phildavies » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:52 am

This seems to get banded around the start of every season for some reason. TBH I think this years will be stronger than last years but we will also be a better side and as always with the squad we have the playoffs should be our minimum finish. Either intresting to see the shape of the squads in this league by the time it starts back up again but ATM the three sides that came down have much better squads than the three that did last year.
city till i die.............................................

Trying to combat the underrating of our own players and overestimating of other teams on this board
phildavies

Postby andy 189 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:51 am

Big difference between Bournemouth and Leeds is the money they've spent bielsas teams are basically last season's teams with 2 or 3 new faces that's the big difference will it work in the premises time will tell ..
andy 189

Postby skidemin » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:05 am

andy 189 wrote:Big difference between Bournemouth and Leeds is the money they've spent bielsas teams are basically last season's teams with 2 or 3 new faces that's the big difference will it work in the premises time will tell ..

yes thats whats being said...you need half a dozen and an experienced manager tbh....
skidemin

Postby andy 189 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:41 am

Big difference between Bournemouth and Leeds is the money they've spent bielsas teams are basically last season's teams with 2 or 3 new faces that's the big difference will it work in the premises time will tell ..
andy 189

Postby andy 189 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:48 am

skidemin wrote:
andy 189 wrote:Big difference between Bournemouth and Leeds is the money they've spent bielsas teams are basically last season's teams with 2 or 3 new faces that's the big difference will it work in the premises time will tell ..

yes thats whats being said...you need half a dozen and an experienced manager tbh....[/quote
We certainly don't need an experienced manager what have you been doing all season if you ain't heard of marcello bielsa ffs have you been asleep for 2 yrs?]
andy 189

Postby Sven » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:28 pm

andy 189 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

yes thats whats being said...you need half a dozen and an experienced manager tbh....[/quote
We certainly don't need an experienced manager what have you been doing all season if you ain't heard of marcello bielsa ffs have you been asleep for 2 yrs?]

Bielsa is a class act, he is respected by the best managers/coaches in the world and proclaimed No.1 by most who have worked with him

What Bielsa does best is 'make do' with a squad by moulding poor to average players into great ones within his systems and getting rid of 'stars' who don't or won't fit in. Liam Cooper (what an improvement) and Pontius Janssen (a club favourite bombed out for not conforming, i.e. refusing to concede THAT goal) are great examples of that. It's almost like he's proving a point (in this case to the benefit of Leeds United)

I'm a tad worried about the current squad's chances of staying in the Premier League but, for me, there should be three worse teams (that's not meant as a dig at Leeds) and if Bielsa is allowed to add the players HE wants, I think they will have a good chance of not only surviving but not really being drawn into a constant relegation battle

All banter aside, I genuinely wish Marcelo Bielsa's Leeds United good luck in what has really been a well overdue return to the top division

And there is surely an irony (which Leeds supporters I now will like) that former player Pontius Janssen is looking good to join them with, albeit via the Brentford route! :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Sven » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:33 pm

Not the 'weakest' Championship in years; rather one of the best!

Just look at how many teams were 'still in the mix' at BOTH ends of the table right up until the final week! :clap:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby RICK+CCFC » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:51 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
thomasblue wrote:

Rick, shocked at you with those comments??

Its about different opinions and as Thomas said its about how we feel this season was on and us fans feel next seasons Championship will be, just our opinions,

No bad feeling.

The relevant point I was making Annis Is that every season comments are made that the Championship league, in particular was easier than the one before,,, particularly the two season City were promoted, strangely enough.
I was just trying to put things into context with regarding the fact that every new season Has it’s challenges, and difficulties from the previous one, and so on. No offence intended, but every season is as difficult as the rest, imho anyway.
RICK+CCFC

Postby bluesince62 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:47 pm

thomasblue wrote:I would saybits probably tougher

Norwich coming down with a very good squad at championship level , they've spent no money so will be able to invest again

Watford will be favourites, they have the best player in the league in Delafaou and the best striker in Deeney. The squad is big and strong so will be suited to the cbampionship.

We will have the losers from this years final who will again challenge the automatic places.

Cardiff will be one of the group though and Automatic places are the new bench mark for this squad next season.

Not very often I do,but I completely agree with your post,it's the most exciting league for me,just because it can be so competitive, but if we can get 3/4 quality players,whilst keeping the nucleus of the team together,I'm excited about the new season,and hope we are up there again,fighting for top 2,with the play offs being a back door option if we fall short. :old: :bluebird:
bluesince62

Postby bluesince62 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:50 pm

thomasblue wrote:I would saybits probably tougher

Not very often I do,but I completely agree with your post,it's the most exciting league for me,just because it can be so competitive, but if we can get 3/4 quality players,whilst keeping the nucleus of the team together,I'm excited about the new season,and hope we are up there again,fighting for top 2,with the play offs being a back door option if we fall short. :old: :bluebird:
bluesince62

Postby Bluebird Warrior » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:24 pm

AFC Bournemouth with Eddie Howe will be certs to contend for promotion now their ridiculous injury crisis is over.

Watford with an organised and experienced manager in Nigel Pearson will likely contend with abundance of talent and experience.

Norwich under Daniel Farke a bright expansive manager whose style of football will thrive in this league and still have a quality young side with a load of talented Germans.

Stoke under Michael O Neill will be much stronger with plenty of experienced players and a manager who suits their players and club will challenge top 6

Middlesbrough - Plenty of young talent, just needed a manager who knew what he was doing and they should never have been competing at the bottom. And if you get a motivated Warnock god help us.

Fulham/Brentford - Either will challenge top 2 next season.

Swansea with Cooper who's a decent manager and with his contacts will attract the best young players from the top 6 in the prem and will likely challenge for top 6 again next season.

Nottingham Forest who likely wont collapse like they did this season and have players like Matty Cash, Ben Watson, Joe Lolley and Lewis Grabban who are some of the best in the division and with a few additions could challenge top 2 in their own right.

I do see us challenging for top 6 but i see Bournemouth, Watford, Norwich, Fulham/Brentford challenging those automatic positions.
Bluebird Warrior

Postby WestCoastBlue » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:30 pm

It won’t be stronger or weaker it’ll just be different, there will be 6 new teams (25%) in the league and hundreds of new players being transferred or loaned or brought in from the youth setups.

How do you even define if the league is weaker or stronger? If there were 1500 goals scored in the championship this season does 1300 goals next year mean it’s weaker cause teams are scoring less? Or is it stronger cause defences are better and games are closer? If the 3 relegated teams all go down with record low points was the league weaker or was it stronger because teams were able to batter other teams. If we signed Messi does that mean the league is stronger because one of the best players in the world is here or is it weaker because 23 other teams now have significantly worse squads than us?

It’s all arbitrary and gets brought up every season.
WestCoastBlue

Postby skidemin » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:15 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:It won’t be stronger or weaker it’ll just be different, there will be 6 new teams (25%) in the league and hundreds of new players being transferred or loaned or brought in from the youth setups.

How do you even define if the league is weaker or stronger? If there were 1500 goals scored in the championship this season does 1300 goals next year mean it’s weaker cause teams are scoring less? Or is it stronger cause defences are better and games are closer? If the 3 relegated teams all go down with record low points was the league weaker or was it stronger because teams were able to batter other teams. If we signed Messi does that mean the league is stronger because one of the best players in the world is here or is it weaker because 23 other teams now have significantly worse squads than us?

It’s all arbitrary and gets brought up every season.

tend to agree.
it should get stronger each year the premier league spend millions bringing in more and more foreign talent. and therefore the lesser prem players should in theory move down...does it ? its impossible to tell...
never really bought into this. its the championship anyone can beat anyone talk either tbh.. ourselves and Fulham lost less games than 4th and 5th in th premier league off 8 more games..
skidemin

Next

Return to General Chat