Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff: 10 years on with Vincent Tan

Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:11 am

Came across this, not sure if has been posted already.

https://www.nst.com.my/sports/football/ ... incent-tan

HIS status as one of Malaysia's most successful businessmen has not guaranteed Tan Sri Vincent Tan similar accomplishments in managing football clubs.

Instead, it has proved to be a long and thorny path after Tan stepped foot on the challenging world of professional football.

Not many understand the obstacles, difficulties and sometimes even bitterness that he faced.

It was a minefield, admitted Tan, when he ventured into this realm by buying into Wales-based Cardiff City FC in May 2010.

Today, the Berjaya Group founder is Cardiff City's majority stakeholder with 82 per cent after acquiring the club's shares from other directors.

And he has reached an exciting milestone with Cardiff City. This year is the 10th anniversary of Tan's involvement with the club, also known as The Bluebirds.

Speaking about his journey with Cardiff City, the Malaysian business icon revealed it has not been easy.

After coming abroad the Bluebirds 10 years ago, Tan faced the task of turning around Cardiff City, who were weighed down by liabilities. However, by 2016, he had reduced the club's debt by £70 million (RM381 million).

The following year, Cardiff City had become debt-free for the first time since Tan invested £6 million for an initial stake in the club.

Though Tan is a proven general in the business boardroom, his family members and friends felt that he might be a square peg in a round hole when it comes to football. And they tried to dissuade Tan from chasing his football dream because they thought it detrimental to the tycoon.

But Tan was adamant. Like a good sportsman, he has fighting spirit. And he did not doubt his passion, and he resolved to succeed. And succeed he did with Cardiff City.

Recently, Cardiff City chairman Mehmet Dalman said in the Welsh media that Tan's deep pockets have kept the Bluebirds afloat during the coronavirus crisis.

Dalman told Wales Online that Tan's money was holding everything together at the moment as there were no gate collections due to the empty stadium ruling as a result of the pandemic.

As Cardiff celebrate their 10th anniversary, Tan feels his dream of bringing Malaysia's name to the world stage through football has become a reality. And he has seen the immense potential of the English League.

"I learnt about football and also football management during my 10-year involvement. But my family and friends saw it as a waste of hard-earned money," he revealed.

"It has been 10 years since May 2010, and every year has been a challenge.

"Honestly, I never thought I would dive into the world of football and have a club that plays league in England.

"I am grateful it has finally become a reality, and my objective has always been to promote Malaysia to the world.

Tan Sri Vincent Tan celebrating with the trophy in 2018 after Cardiff City won promotion to the Premier League following a second place finish in the Championship.
Tan Sri Vincent Tan celebrating with the trophy in 2018 after Cardiff City won promotion to the Premier League following a second place finish in the Championship.
"However, it is not as sweet as anyone thinks. In the first year, we made a lot of mistakes, but we learned from mistakes every year.

"Tan also talked about his encounters with an unscrupulous agent and manager. "I was deceived by an agent and even the manager himself. I lost millions of ringgit, but we all learnt to be careful. That's how we became successful."

Tan added that his bitter-sweet experience with Cardiff has strengthened his spirit to ensure the club he owns is on track.

Unsurprisingly, Tan is listed in a book titled The Billionaire Club by James Montague which tells the stories of the owners of the wealthiest football clubs in the world. The book mentions that Tan spent almost £140 million on Cardiff.

Apart from Cardiff, Tan bought Belgian club, KV Kortrijk (KVK) in 2015 and Bosnian club, FC Sarajevo in 2013. He also purchased a stake in Los Angeles FC.

However, Tan sold FC Sarajevo as he wanted to focus on Cardiff and KVK. He saw these clubs as gateways for Malaysian players to Europe.

"I like the challenge, and I will continue. I sold the Sarajevo club last year to a Vietnamese. Now my focus is on Cardiff and KVK.

"I have a lot more to do for Cardiff, and I am still not satisfied even though it can be said that we have achieved success by qualifying for the English Premier League in 2013/2014 and 2018-2019.

"I am disappointed we didn't have the staying power, and that we were in the Premier League only in 2013/2014 and (2018-2019)."

"However, my spirit is not broken. We will find the right formula to become a permanent feature in the EPL.

"But it is not easy against clubs such as Liverpool, Manchester United or Arsenal who have huge budgets."

With plans to empower Cardiff to compete with the elite clubs in Europe, Tan and his team are analysing the current season and planning for the next.

"We are refining and fine-tuning. My dream for this 10th anniversary is to return to the EPL," he said.

Tan has a good relationship with the Yang di-Pertuan Agong, Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri'ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah, who was also a former president of the FA of Malaysia.

They often exchange notes, and Tan has invited the King for Cardiff matches.

When asked if he would be keeping the "Visit Malaysia" slogan in front of the Cardiff jersey, Tan was quick to respond that it has been his main agenda since buying Cardiff.

And he is open to new sponsorship pacts with the Malaysian government. "As I said, I am a patriot. Malaysia will always be a priority. I am still open to discussion with the government on how we can further promote the country.

"During my 10 years with Cardiff, I received sponsorship worth RM15 million during the 2013/2014 season when Datuk Seri Nazri Abdul Aziz became the Minister of Tourism and Culture. That was how 'Visit Malaysia' started."

"I will always be thankful to him for that, as I want to promote Malaysia through football channels. I am still hopeful of further support from the Malaysian government."

"The front of the jersey is the most exclusive advertising space. That would easily be worth at least £3 million to potential sponsors. The bigger the club, the higher the returns. And that's what I want to do with Cardiff. To me, it compelling for sponsors," he added.

Re: Cardiff: 10 years on with Vincent Tan

Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:07 am

Here's my list of others falling over themselves to do the same job for the City:

1st.......................
2nd......................
3rd......................
Etc...................... :lol:

Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:29 pm

We would likely not have a club we recognise without him.

For his faults with the red (which was supported when we were winning and he has changed back) he has been a fantastic custodian of this club. Probably the best we have had.

Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:35 pm

maccydee wrote:We would likely not have a club we recognise without him.

For his faults with the red (which was supported when we were winning and he has changed back) he has been a fantastic custodian of this club. Probably the best we have had.

Spot on.

Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:21 pm

CF23 Bluebird wrote:
maccydee wrote:We would likely not have a club we recognise without him.

Spot on.

Agree, he made mistakes he knows that, but I personally believe he cares about the club, and is trying to do the right thing, within a more sensible budget as we have seen for a good few years now, bring on next season and hope for the best!

:bluescarf:

Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:01 pm

Net worth taken a huge hit, from 1.3 billion Ten years ago, to 750 million..

still worth more then me, but big drop in the last 10 years..

https://www.forbes.com/profile/vincent- ... d327701d0b

Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:16 pm

droyal wrote:Net worth taken a huge hit, from 1.3 billion Ten years ago, to 750 million..

still worth more then me, but big drop in the last 10 years..

https://www.forbes.com/profile/vincent- ... d327701d0b

Nearly half that loss on us to date? :shock: we wouldn't be where we are without him,we always say gate receipts are a drop in the ocean and goes nowhere in running a club, but he has kept us afloat through the most testing of times,thank you Mr Tan. :ayatollah: :old: :bluebird: