Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

A word for the keeper Alex Smithies

Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:07 pm

A word for the keeper Alex Smithies

By Glen Williams

Friday

There have been a lot of plaudits handed to Cardiff City's forward line since football restarted and rightly so.

It was the same story on Thursday night as the men up top heaped pressure on the Cottagers' defence for large periods of the game, searching for that all-important third goal.

But, at the other end, Alex Smithies was as unflappable as always - as he has been all season.

Make no mistake, Cardiff would not have been in the position they were had it not been for Smithies' countless interventions throughout the course of the second half of the campaign.

For some he is the Bluebirds' player of the season and few could argue a case against that.

Even at Craven Cottage, when all the focus and energy was focused on City's match-winners at the other end of the pitch, it was Smithies who kept the visitors within touching distance.

He pulled off a smart stop against Tom Cairney just before half time, after he had parried away a stinging Anthony Knockaert shot early on, and also produced a top-class piece of goalkeeping late on to keep Kamara at bay.

Where that leaves Neil Etheridge, last year's player of the season, and Joe Day, a summer signing just 12 months ago, remains to be seen.

Re: A word for the keeper Alex Smithies

Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:08 pm

Player of the season

10 times better than Etheridge, I argued for months but most only saw the Camera saves and ignored his all round game. Not even a contest between the two.

Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:10 pm

thomasblue wrote:Player of the season

10 times better than Etheridge, I argued for months but most only saw the Camera saves and ignored his all round game. Not even a contest between the two.

Totally agree :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:12 pm

The only thing that surprises me here is that Smithies never knocked Etheridge of the top perch long time before he finally did.

I saw him a few times before he came to us and thought when we signed him Etheridge was going to warm the bench.

Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:15 pm

He's been brilliant since he came into the team.

It's been great watching the kick outs staying on the field for the most part!

Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:16 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:The only thing that surprises me here is that Smithies never knocked Etheridge of the top perch long time before he finally did.

I saw him a few times before he came to us and thought when we signed him Etheridge was going to warm the bench.

Ian, and it only happened due to City trying to sell Etheridge :lol:

Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:02 pm

My fear is a Prem team could come sniffing around this window.

Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:04 pm

davids wrote:He's been brilliant since he came into the team.

It's been great watching the kick outs staying on the field for the most part!

Agree :thumbup:

Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:20 pm

Always preferred smithies in goal over etheridge. He’s a much better all round keeper. He’s had a brilliant season this season and he kept us in it in both games against Fulham. I’d imagine either him or Etheridge will be off next season - although I thought the same in January.

Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:55 am

I’m keeping a eye out for interest in smithies really hope he stays :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:32 pm

He's been brilliant.

The save on Thursday, when he pushed Kamara's shot onto the post, was nothing short of outstanding.

Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:19 am

Best keeper in the league. Shame that free kick went in at home though. Thought he was too g3ar accross?

Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:48 pm

We’ve been blessed with good keepers in recent times - Alexander, Marshall, Heaton, and now Etheridge and Smithies.

But then again, we did have Bywater :shock:

Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:40 pm

BluebirdForever wrote:We’ve been blessed with good keepers in recent times - Alexander, Marshall, Heaton, and now Etheridge and Smithies.

And Ross Turnbull.

And Tony Warner

And Dimi Constantdropalotofballs

Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:03 pm

davids wrote:
BluebirdForever wrote:We’ve been blessed with good keepers in recent times - Alexander, Marshall, Heaton, and now Etheridge and Smithies.

And Ross Turnbull.

And Tony Warner

Agree with you Both ;) :thumbup:

Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:14 pm

davids wrote:

And Ross Turnbull.

And Ben Amos

And Tony Warner

Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:17 pm

Fabulous keep who is player of the season imo ...so consistent ....pure class