Our midfield ...

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Our midfield ...

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:09 pm

Is far too easy to play against unless Tomlin plays and can keep them thinking / on their back foot.
bluebirdoct1962

Our midfield ...

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Our midfield ...

Postby MR BIRCHGROVE » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:30 pm

Totally agree; and with no effective wide players to feed Moore, things don't look very good to start the season with!
MR BIRCHGROVE

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:56 pm

MR BIRCHGROVE wrote:Totally agree; and with no effective wide players to feed Moore, things don't look very good to start the season with!

One game mate - keep the faith. JH was crap tho
bluebirdoct1962

Postby llan bluebird » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:39 pm

This is a Warnock based squad. The midfield were there to protect the back 4 and win the ball back for a counter attack with pace on the flanks.

It was never put together to win the possession stats and play through the thirds.

I thought we played a mugs game today and managed to make Wednesday look like the old Cardiff. If you are willing to make mistakes we'll capitalise from them....Thank you.
llan bluebird

Postby skidemin » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:33 pm

llan bluebird wrote:This is a Warnock based squad. The midfield were there to protect the back 4 and win the ball back for a counter attack with pace on the flanks.

It was never put together to win the possession stats and play through the thirds.

I thought we played a mugs game today and managed to make Wednesday look like the old Cardiff. If you are willing to make mistakes we'll capitalise from them....Thank you.

i agree, how many clubs have we seen try to play this possession crap with players not good enough to play it who out pass us out possession us but ultimately lost to us... will say i thought us shocking against a very poor Charlton after the restart playing similar to this afternoon which he fixed. .fingers crossed and onwards..
skidemin

Postby moonboots » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:35 pm

We lack midfielders who are comfortable on the ball, who can twist and turn while looking for options and keeping possession until a pass is on. It would also be nice to have a midfielder or two who can run with the ball and glide past opponents now and then.
moonboots

Postby Wardy64 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:53 am

Our midfield is shocking. The three players are exactly the same. No pace and no creativity.
Wardy64

Postby AfricanBluebird » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:17 am

Wardy64 wrote:Our midfield is shocking. The three players are exactly the same. No pace and no creativity.

I think everyone sees that - surely Harris has to see that.

I was very disappointed with his comments after the game - he literally admitted we have to go for 0-0s if Tomlin isn't in the side - at home! Crazy.

Sadly, our attacking players are going to have to feed off scraps from long throws and set pieces unless we get some guile and flair in the middle other than Tomlin
AfricanBluebird

Postby philrogers » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:47 am

Joe Ralls and Tomlin were almost certainly not match fit. Understandably Tomlin didn't start.

If you then bring on two targets up front you must at least have crossers of the ball on the bench to bring on as well. Do we have anyone in our squad who can cross a ball?

I think we have utilised Hoilett and Murphy enough to know that they cannot play in a target man system. I don't have very high hopes for our results until more players come in.
philrogers

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:18 am

AfricanBluebird wrote:
Wardy64 wrote:Our midfield is shocking. The three players are exactly the same. No pace and no creativity.

I was very disappointed with his comments after the game - he literally admitted we have to go for 0-0s if Tomlin isn't in the side - at home! Crazy.

Sadly, our attacking players are going to have to feed off scraps from long throws and set pieces unless we get some guile and flair in the middle other than Tomlin

Reading between the lines I think he meant if we have trouble scoring / creating we have to make sure we don’t concede stupid goals and take a draw.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby exiled12345 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:42 pm

We are really missing mobile creative midfielders. Pack, Bacuna, Vaulks and Ralls are all the same. Just slow crabs, no mobility.
exiled12345

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:56 pm

exiled12345 wrote:We are really missing mobile creative midfielders. Pack, Bacuna, Vaulks and Ralls are all the same. Just slow crabs, no mobility.

Agree. Maybe if LT isn’t yet fit we should try

Murphy Ojo. Hoilett

Moore
Ojo certainly moved well with the ball at his feet and died play number 10.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby piledriver64 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:24 pm

exiled12345 wrote:We are really missing mobile creative midfielders. Pack, Bacuna, Vaulks and Ralls are all the same. Just slow crabs, no mobility.

I'm not sure I'd describe Vaulks and Bacuna as not mobile. Pack and Ralls fair enough.

I was away and didn't see the game but am I right in reading that Ralls was played as a number 10 ? If so, that's madness !

Surely playing Vaulks up there is a better option ? He's mobile and has an eye for goal and seems to make things happen, he's not the long term answer but I can see him doing a better job there than Ralls.
piledriver64

Postby skidemin » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:41 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
AfricanBluebird wrote:

Reading between the lines I think he meant if we have trouble scoring / creating we have to make sure we don’t concede stupid goals and take a draw.

yes...but if youve got them playing lots of square meaningless passes in the middle third there are always going to be mis
placed / over or under hit passes... personally when we had the ball { which was most of the time } i couldnt see any method.. i agree about it having a Trolloppe feel about it , but in all fairness to Harris , Saturday was more a bad day at the office than part of a string of poor performances..
skidemin

Postby exiled12345 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:22 pm

Vaulks isn’t the quickest Bacuna can shift. But Neither create, zip a penetrating pass nor more importantly neither can move with the ball at their feet. All our midfielders tend to play a stationary pass sideways
exiled12345

Postby bluesince62 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:25 pm

moonboots wrote:We lack midfielders who are comfortable on the ball, who can twist and turn while looking for options and keeping possession until a pass is on. It would also be nice to have a midfielder or two who can run with the ball and glide past opponents now and then.

Tolgay arslan (remember that rumour? ) has been released by fenerbahce, is a crafty midfielder,who has great passing range.trouble is it looks likely he will join bochum? In German 2nd division! ! People are already posting about Harris being happy with his squad etc,the same posters who said he was sh@t when he joined.I don't believe that this his anywhere near his squad yet,but what is he supposed to do,covid has put paid to any real cash splashing,not just for us either.
But apart from the loan players, he has only been able to add moore to the squad on a contract.not saying I disagree with what you are saying regards a crafty midfielder being needed,I'd also like to see another winger come in,and at least a nailed on starter right back,and maybe another 2 to add to the squad depth and quality. :thumbup: :old: :bluebird:
bluesince62

Postby bluesince62 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:46 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
moonboots wrote:We lack midfielders who are comfortable on the ball, who can twist and turn while looking for options and keeping possession until a pass is on. It would also be nice to have a midfielder or two who can run with the ball and glide past opponents now and then.

Tolgay arslan (remember that rumour? ) has been released by fenerbahce, is a crafty midfielder,who has great passing range.trouble is it looks likely he will join bochum? In German 2nd division! ! People are already posting about Harris being happy with his squad etc,the same posters who said he was sh@t when he joined.I don't believe that this his anywhere near his squad yet,but what is he supposed to do,covid has put paid to any real cash splashing,not just for us either.
But apart from the loan players, he has only been able to add moore to the squad on a contract.not saying I disagree with what you are saying regards a crafty midfielder being needed,I'd also like to see another winger come in,and at least a nailed on starter right back,and maybe another 2 to add to the squad depth and quality. :thumbup: :old: :bluebird:

Sorry, I meant padderborn (excuse spelling if wrong) and arslan is available on a free!!
bluesince62

Return to General Chat