Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

New Signings today

Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:58 pm

Moore didn’t have much service other than hopeful lumps forward but he didn’t come looking for the ball.
And I really don’t know where to start with Ojo and Osei-Tutu, I’m really worried with the standard of them. I know it was Ojo’s first game so I can cut him some slack. But I’m sorry unless his form drastically changes Osei-Tutu is nowhere near the standard of player we need. I lost count of the amount times he lost possession with aimless passes.
Yes there were other bad performances in the team but this is solely about the new signings. I will always give them a chance, but it’s worrying.

Re: New Signings today

Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:01 pm

Both really poor IMO.

I have no idea what happened after 71 mins apart from Glatzel was marking Keiffer Moore for most of the game... Surely we must have worked on what happens if we play both ?

Has a Trollop feel about it.

Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:05 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Both really poor IMO.

I have no idea what happened after 71 mins apart from Glatzel was marking Keiffer Moore for most of the game... Surely we must have worked on what happens if we play both ?

I sort of agree with the Trollope feel to that performance. Hopefully it’s just the usual awful first performance that we’ve come accustomed to as a City fan. I’m certainly not panicking, but it was a really bad performance with not one positive.

Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:08 pm

Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:Moore didn’t have much service other than hopeful lumps forward but he didn’t come looking for the ball.
And I really don’t know where to start with Ojo and Osei-Tutu, I’m really worried with the standard of them. I know it was Ojo’s first game so I can cut him some slack. But I’m sorry unless his form drastically changes Osei-Tutu is nowhere near the standard of player we need. I lost count of the amount times he lost possession with aimless passes.
Yes there were other bad performances in the team but this is solely about the new signings. I will always give them a chance, but it’s worrying.

I thought the right back was ok, certainly no worse than Bennett. I also think that the winger did little wrong with the ball, considering it was his first game. Both will come good I reckon ...even though it seems I’m in the minority :laughing6:

Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:28 pm

Difficult to have any optimism after the 2 dreadful performances so far.
Surely it can only get better, can't it?

Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:43 pm

There did seem a definate lack of enthusiasm and mirrored Trollopes first few and only games in charge.
He is our manager and Vincent needs to back him in the remaining transfer window.

Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:28 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Both really poor IMO.

Trollope and half the managers in this division, meaningless possession before giving the ball away cheaply and getting mugged... seen it so often ..the muggers have turned into the mugged...

Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:35 pm

Totally underwhelmed. Beaten 0-2 at home by a side rock bottom and already 3 points and 3 goals behind the Jacks.

Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:42 pm

Ojo is Murphy mark two. Showed no great passion for the game and considering he was supposedly the answer for our left hand side why did he play on the right.

Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:42 pm

Ojo is Murphy mark two. Showed no great passion for the game and considering he was supposedly the answer for our left hand side why did he play on the right.

Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:47 pm

Hopefully lumping the ball forwards..reading that is most depressing. It basically means our players know the opposition are better.

Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:52 pm

They need time.

It's far to early to judge.

Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:27 pm

RV Casual wrote:They need time.

Hooray. :thumbup:

Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:59 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
RV Casual wrote:They need time.

Hooray. :thumbup:

Double hooray :thumbup: we never win our first game,only last week I posted that a couple of losses,and the knives would be out,but bang! Only one game into the season nd boy are they out :roll: :old: :bluebird:

Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:33 am

How can you judge new players on one league game and decide they are crap?????
Only been at the club 5 mins ....give them 10 games at least and then judge ...

Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:40 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:Moore didn’t have much service other than hopeful lumps forward but he didn’t come looking for the ball.

I thought the right back was ok, certainly no worse than Bennett. I also think that the winger did little wrong with the ball, considering it was his first game. Both will come good I reckon ...even though it seems I’m in the minority :laughing6:

First game and I thought they did well. some of their first time passing was really good. I don't know what people expect on their first outing, but I think that they will get better as time goes on. Early days yet, and idiots screaming for Harris to be sacked are really a sandwich short of a picnic :thumbup:

Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:27 am

We have one of the best centre forwards in the championship,if stats are to be believed .
He is great at attacking crosses , but not once did our wingers or full backs , get to the by line and cross the ball !
Which surely should have been worked on in training .

Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:50 am

nojac wrote:We have one of the best centre forwards in the championship,if stats are to be believed .
He is great at attacking crosses , but not once did our wingers or full backs , get to the by line and cross the ball !
Which surely should have been worked on in training .

They didn’t get any sort of service to allow them the opportunity to get to the by line (1 v 1), that was the problem. That’s why Tomlin has to play.

Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:58 am

I agree Tomlin has to play ,but he s injured or carrying an injury so he can't but surely Harris knew this,losing NML is a blow too ,, still we live in hope ,lots of games to go

Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:13 am

At least the new signings have an excuse for a poor performance, i.e. they are new arrivals and settling in.

However, if Harris or any fan think that a midfield trio of bacuna, ralls and vaulks is anything other than a mid table combination are kidding themselves. As individuals they are 'ok', but shoving them in there together is a disaster.. it makes us one paced (slow) and with zero flair/creativity. No wonder Moore, Ojo and Junior were ineffective.

The bottom line is that if Tomlin doesn't play or is off form we create very very little. With his fitness and injury issues we can't rely on him for our sole No.10.

With that in mind I was disappointed with Harris team selection today and even more disappointed with his remarks after the game that it's not about bringing in new personnel -- really??? So he has to just accept that without Tomlin we are going for 0-0 draws. Bonkers.

Surely he would have been better off putting Ojo or Junior in the central role instead of Ralls... Ralls has never been a No.10.

Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:12 am

Have to say I agree we are a bit of a one man team and that man is Tomlin. If he is injured or like yesterday really unfit looking then we seem to be unable to create anything. As for the new signings it has to be dubious that the kid from Arsenal is really a full back his original club Reading used him as a midfielder winger and when Arsenal loaned him to Bochum they quickly converted him from a right back to wide midfielder winger. As for Ojo I suspect he falls into the catagory once very promising kid who will never make it at top level bur possibly thinks Cardiff is beneath him. Started well at Rangers but was so bad by the end of his stay Gerrard sent him back to Liverpool. Doubtful if either is going to make any difference to our season.

Now expecting a Russell Slade like non season finishing in mid table.This is the season to try out a few youngsters if any look capable of stepping up to the mark. Not being able to go to games is beginning to look like not such a bad thing after all.

Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:16 am

AfricanBluebird wrote:At least the new signings have an excuse for a poor performance, i.e. they are new arrivals and settling in.

However, if Harris or any fan think that a midfield trio of bacuna, ralls and vaulks is anything other than a mid table combination are kidding themselves. As individuals they are 'ok', but shoving them in there together is a disaster.. it makes us one paced (slow) and with zero flair/creativity. No wonder Moore, Ojo and Junior were ineffective.

The bottom line is that if Tomlin doesn't play or is off form we create very very little. With his fitness and injury issues we can't rely on him for our sole No.10.

With that in mind I was disappointed with Harris team selection today and even more disappointed with his remarks after the game that it's not about bringing in new personnel -- really??? So he has to just accept that without Tomlin we are going for 0-0 draws. Bonkers.

Surely he would have been better off putting Ojo or Junior in the central role instead of Ralls... Ralls has never been a No.10.

Most people (me included) thought the team selected was good. What would your starting line up have been (assuming LT has to start on bench)?

Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:17 pm

Surely its better to lose to a team thats starting on -12 than an 'equal' team starting on 0 like ourselves.

As others have said - it was the lads first time out on the park together as a team against 'proper' opposition. Let them build it up.

Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:01 pm

That’s the trouble though, no tomlin and who do we play? There is no creativity anywhere else in the squad, and not really much quality. Hoilett is done, has been for a for while, the other wingers are too inconsistent, midfield is crap, ralls will run all day, Bacuna and vaulks pretty much the same.

Ojo gets benefit as he only joined last week, but we need central midfielders desperately who will take a game too the opposition. Ours don’t, they give the game to them.

Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:28 pm

Guys for many seasons our signings have been players reaching the end of their careers and the odd loan signing here and the odd loan signing there, the majority of which have returned to their clubs or moved on after a season or so. We've not built a strong foundation of quality young players who've grown together into a team. Until we do things will not get any better. Were here having the same conversations year in year out. The club's around us are doing it and they're having success.

Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:29 pm

Really impressed with Tutu today, not sure at all with Ojo. He reminds me of Blakey without any end results although he had many games like that. I am hoping he is not match sharp as he looks slow

Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:35 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Really impressed with Tutu today, not sure at all with Ojo. He reminds me of Blakey without any end results although he had many games like that. I am hoping he is not match sharp as he looks slow

Yes I was impressed with Tutu. As I said in another thread, at least Ojo didn’t shirk his defensive duties.

Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:21 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:Really impressed with Tutu today, not sure at all with Ojo. He reminds me of Blakey without any end results although he had many games like that. I am hoping he is not match sharp as he looks slow

Yes I was impressed with Tutu. As I said in another thread, at least Ojo didn’t shirk his defensive duties.

....and after a neat break he slotted a superb ball through to Ralls. I do understand the Blakey link in style but Give him a bit of a chance I say.

Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:35 pm

I'm hoping we bring in another right winger, not at all convinced by Ojo. Tutu for me looks a good player, is good going forward and didnt put a foot wrong defensively today (didnt see him last week). Dream would be to compete for Jordan Ibe, seems a more natural Mendez replacement.