Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What will the result be of Nottingham Forest v Cardiff City?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:02 pm

Nottingham Forest win
46%
Cardiff City win
29%
Draw
25%

Total votes : 28

MATCH : " NOTTINGHAM FOREST v CARDIFF CITY " MATCH THREA

Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:02 pm

NOTTINGHAM FOREST v CARDIFF CITY
Saturday 19th September, 12.30pm
Sky Bet Championship
City Ground

Match to be played in front of no supporters, for information on how to watch the match on TV or to stream it - see below

:bluebird: :bluebird: Cardiff City (4-3-3): Smithies; Osei-Tutu, Morrison, Nelson, Bennett; Pack, Bacuna, Ralls; Ojo, Moore, Hoilett.

Subs: Day, Bamba, Vaulks, Tomlin, Whyte, Paterson, Glatzel.

There were No new injuries from the defeat to Sheffield Wednesday :thumbright: :bluebird:

Only Issac Vessel still out injured.

Lee Tomlin fit to start?

NEIL HARRIS:

“He’s not much further down the line, fitness wise.

“He is going to be on the training pitch tomorrow, but he has had a frustrating week, fitness-wise.

“He is not going to be fit enough to start the game tomorrow, without giving too much away, team-selection wise.

“We have just got to be patient and get him up to speed as quickly as we can but in a safe environment where we don’t rule him out for a long period.

“We just have to be respectful to Tommo and appreciate he has been out for a long period and let him heal in his own time and look forward to having him for the rest of the season, hopefully.”

How can I watch this match on TV?

This match is live on Sky Sports. For those who do not have a Sky Sports subscription, you can watch on NOW TV with a day pass for £9.99 - this will also give you access to all other events on Sky Sports for the 24 hour period starting from when you activate your pass.

About Nottingham Forest

Nottingham Forest Football Club, often referred to as Forest, are a professional football club based in West Bridgford, Nottinghamshire, England. Founded in 1865, Forest are considered to be the oldest football league club since the relegation of Notts County to the National League in 2019. Since 1898 Forest have played their home matches at the City Ground. They currently compete in the EFL Championship, the second tier of the English football league system.

Forest have won one League title, two FA Cups, four League Cups, one FA Charity Shield, two European Cups, and one UEFA Super Cup. The club has competed in the top two tiers of English football since their admission to the Football League, except for five seasons spent in the third tier. Their most successful period was under the management of Brian Clough and Peter Taylor in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

In Clough's last decade at the club, Forest won the 1989 and 1990 League Cups and were losing finalists in the 1991 FA Cup Final, before relegation from the Premier League in 1993. Upon an immediate return Forest finished third in the Premier League in 1995, before the club suffered relegation again in 1997 and, after a brief return, once more in 1999. Forest have not been back in the Premier League since.

Forest contest the Nottingham derby with city rivals Notts County, however, as Forest have predominantly played in higher leagues than their neighbours fixtures between the two clubs have been rare in recent history. The club's fiercest rivalry is with Derby County, with whom they contest the East Midlands derby.

Previous Meeting 

Forest beat us 1-0 in February.

Team News - Predicted Line-Ups

Nottingham Forest: Samba, Gabriel, Figueiredo, Worrall, Blackett, Colback, Yates, Da Costa, Freeman, Lolley, Grabban

Cardiff City: Smithies, Osei-Tutu, Morrison, Nelson, Bennett, Bacuna, Vaulks, Ralls, Hoilett, Ojo, Moore

Form - Last Three Competitive Games

Queens Park Rangers 2-0 Nottingham Forest
Barnsley 1-0 Nottingham Forest
Nottingham Forest 1-4 Stoke City

Cardiff City 0-2 Sheffield Wednesday
Northampton Town 3-0 Cardiff City
Fulham 1-2 Cardiff City

Match Odds

Nottingham Forest - 11/8
Cardiff City - 2/1
Draw - 11/5

Predictions

Post your predictions below  :thumbright:

Re: LATEST NEWS " NOTTINGHAM FOREST v CARDIFF CITY " MATCH T

Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:03 pm

Both teams lost 2-0 on the opening day of the season

Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:40 pm

After the last two performances I struggle to see us getting anything here .

2-1 loss in a tough away game

Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:27 pm

well its the right place to be going...its a very lucky ground for us , i havent seen us lose or even draw there in 5 visits.. no matter how bad we were or how good they were , even their promotion year under Clough when we were awful we won.. .. it was over 2 years before they lost another league game at the City ground in which time they had won promotion, the league and the European cup...

Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:17 am

We usually do well away at Forest, but it’s going to be tough after two consecutive defeats.

We’ve got to go there looking for at least a point :thumbright: :bluebird:

Forest themselves have also had a bad start :thumbright:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:10 am

Forever Blue wrote:We usually do well away at Forest, but it’s going to be tough after two consecutive defeats.

We’ve got to go there looking for at least a point :thumbright: :bluebird:

Forest themselves have also had a bad start :thumbright:

1-2.

Onwards and upwards :bluescarf: :bluebird: :D

Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:23 am

It's a must win as we are running out of games now,only 45 left.
I have absolutely no idea on this game,I could make an argument for every possible outcome.
So on that basis I will predict a 3-2 win for the City.

Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:59 am

Plymuff Bloobird wrote:It's a must win as we are running out of games now,only 45 left.
I have absolutely no idea on this game,I could make an argument for every possible outcome.
So on that basis I will predict a 3-2 win for the City.

i think there is more concern about the performance than the result last Saturday.... had we been unfortunate on 4/5 occasions while trying to get back into the game it would have been a bit easier to be positive...

Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:48 am

I can’t see anything other than a share of the spoils for this match, it’s got draw written all over it.
I hope I’m wrong and we manage to sneak a win.

Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:42 am

Cardiff Boss highlights big area for improvement ahead of Nottingham Forest clash

Cardiff City visit the City Ground this Saturday with both sides without a win in first two games

By Sarah Clapson

Wednesday 16th September 2020

Nottingham live

NEIL HARRIS:

"You still need to keep things in perspective" - Why Forest can't let the opening game affect them too much
Boss Neil Harris insists there is no hangover from last season for Cardiff City, as he looks to “pick the right team” to face Nottingham Forest this weekend.

Like Sabri Lamouchi’s Reds, the Bluebirds have lost their opening two fixtures of the new campaign - away to Northampton Town in the Carabao Cup and a 2-0 Championship defeat at home to Sheffield Wednesday last Saturday.

While Forest narrowly missed out on a top six finish in 2019/20, Cardiff secured their place but were toppled by Fulham in the play-off semi-finals.

Harris though, says his squad are now fully focused on a fresh challenge - and a busy schedule - as they look ahead to their trip to the City Ground.

NEIL HARRIS:

"I hope not," he said, when asked about a potential hangover from last term.

"I hope the cup game was an isolation. They played it like a cup final - we played it like a pre-season friendly.

"On Saturday, it was individual errors, team errors.

“I see the mentality is right every day on the training pitch.

"But if there is a hangover we need to shake it off quickly. I don't sense it at the moment, but I understand it will be labelled that if we don't start picking points up quickly at the start of a Championship campaign."

"It's a disappointing result, yes, but we've had disappointing results over the course of the last nine months," he added of defeat to the Owls.

"Unfortunately, there are going to be more disappointing results over the next nine months! I'm experienced enough to know that.

"It's making sure we can be as consistent as possible, on and off the pitch, as a football club.

"We have to put the week behind us. It has been difficult, but all I am interested in now is studying the game, picking the right team for Nottingham Forest away and us getting our first points of the season on the board."

Harris also bemoaned a lack of creativity against Wednesday, as his team failed to make the most of their possession.

We didn't show enough quality in the final third to break down a back seven - a five-man defence and two holding midfielders.

"We need to be more fluent as a team, it's not about getting people in. We didn't have enough ideas or creativity against a very resolute Sheffield Wednesday side."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:53 pm

Former Liverpool striker Neil Mellor believes Cardiff City are well equipped to challenge for promotion this term.

The Bluebirds have endured a tough start to the new campaign having been dumped out of the Carabao Cup by Northampton Town before losing 2-0 to Sheffield Wednesday in their Championship opener.

However, Mellor believes Cardiff have looked strong under Neil Harris so far, with the former professional turned pundit stating Norwich City and Millwall are also set to be in the mix to go up.

“I think everybody will look at the obvious names that have been relegated. I think Norwich are probably best-equipped out of the three teams that have been relegated," he told Football League World.

“But I’m looking at a bit more of a surprise package. I think that Cardiff will go well this year again, I think they looked really strong under Neil Harris last season.

“I also think Millwall for an outside bet for the top-six this season under Gary Rowett. I’ve been really impressed watching them, and there hasn’t been too much change there, couple of good players being brought in like [Ryan] Woods and [Mason] Bennett who can add to the quality they have to challenge for the play-offs.”

Harris' troops return to action against Nottingham Forest at the City Ground on Saturday.

Kick-off against Sabri Lamouchi's men is at 12:30pm.

Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:31 pm

Forest, there for a few years not your happiest spell?

NEIL HARRIS:

“I enjoyed it in so many ways… But that’s irrelevant now as manager of Cardiff City.

“It’s about results on a pitch and the game on Saturday.

“It’s one we are looking forward to. There were two really good games against Forest last year and let’s hope for the same outcome this weekend.”

Re: TEAM NEWS: " NOTTINGHAM FOREST v CARDIFF CITY " MATCH TH

Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:26 pm

Lee Tomlin fit to start?

NEIL HARRIS:

“He’s not much further down the line, fitness wise.

“He is going to be on the training pitch tomorrow, but he has had a frustrating week, fitness-wise.

“He is not going to be fit enough to start the game tomorrow, without giving too much away, team-selection wise.

“We have just got to be patient and get him up to speed as quickly as we can but in a safe environment where we don’t rule him out for a long period.

“We just have to be respectful to Tommo and appreciate he has been out for a long period and let him heal in his own time and look forward to having him for the rest of the season, hopefully.”

Re: MATCH : " NOTTINGHAM FOREST v CARDIFF CITY " MATCH THREA

Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:14 am

Harris looking forward to City Ground battle

“We are really looking forward to it.

“They had a defeat at QPR last week so they will be looking to get on the scoreboard.

“We had two really good games against them last year and we were neck and neck at the end of the year too.

“The players have had a good week on the training pitch and we are looking forward to the battle at the City Ground.”"We are really looking forward to it.

"They had a defeat at QPR last week so they will be looking to get on the scoreboard.

"We had two really good games against them last year and we were neck and neck at the end of the year too.

"The players have had a good week on the training pitch and we are looking forward to the battle at the City Ground."

Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:18 am

:bluebird: :bluebird: Cardiff City (4-3-3): Smithies; Osei-Tutu, Morrison, Nelson, Bennett; Pack, Bacuna, Ralls; Ojo, Moore, Hoilett.

Subs: Day, Bamba, Vaulks, Tomlin, Whyte, Paterson, Glatzel.

Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:21 am

Match facts

Nottingham Forest have lost their last five home league matches against Cardiff, their joint-worst home losing run against an opponent; they also lost five in a row against Hull (2011-18) and West Brom (1925-30).

Cardiff lost their last league meeting with Nottingham Forest and haven’t lost consecutive matches against them since February 2011.

Although Nottingham Forest have lost their first home league match of the season in just three of the last 34 seasons, one of those defeats was last season against West Brom, losing 2-1.

Nottingham Forest have failed to win any of their last eight matches in all competitions (D3 L5), losing the last four in a row. Indeed, Forest last lost five in a row back in January 2017.

Cardiff City’s Josh Murphy has had a hand in four goals in six league games against Nottingham Forest (two goals, two assists), although he failed to score or assist vs them for the Bluebirds last term.

Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:35 am

1 nil Moore :bluebird:

Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:37 am

Forever Blue wrote:1 nil Moore :bluebird:

That's why we bought him...great start for 'on the front foot' Bluebirds! :clap: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

We'd be livid right now, if that poor defending had been the other way around :laughing6:

Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:39 am

Sven wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:1 nil Moore :bluebird:

That's why we bought him...great start for 'on the front foot' Bluebirds! :clap: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

We'd be livid right now, if that poor defending had been the other way around :laughing6:

:D :D :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:41 am

Bacuna clips a diagonal ball foward to Sheyi Ojo, but the official flags for offside.

Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:43 am

Joe Ralls drills a low effort at goal, which rebounds out to Junior Hoilett. The winger tries a whipped effort from the angle, but it's wide of the target.

Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:49 am

:bluebird:

Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:49 am

Forest now doing all the attacking

Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:51 am

What a miss!

Luke Freeman whips in a dangerous, left-footed ball from the right wing and Lewis Grabban is just yards out from goal, all he needs to do is toe it home.

But the striker gets too much of it and pokes it over the bar!

Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:51 am

22mins gone City still winning 0-1 :bluebird:

Cardiff defending

Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:53 am

Cardiff break quickly down that right-hand side and Osei-Tutu is found with a pinpoint pass.

The right back looks to square the ball to Ralls in the box, but it's just intercepted.

Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:53 am

Decent start by us. A lot better than last week.

Pressing them high up the pitch which has forced a few errors.

Grabban should have equalised though, no idea how he missed.

Crucial for Moore to get an early goal for the club, he should be able to kick on from that.

Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:54 am

Cardiff looking solid so far :bluebird:

Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:56 am

Forest really should be level, as Lewis Grabban puts the ball over the bar from 4 yards

Morrison was watching the ball rather than his man

Lucky escape for City, as Forest were wholly reliant on Grabban last season

Current (23 mins): NOTTINGHAM FOREST 0 - 1 CARDIFF CITY)

Scorer: Kieffer Roberto Francisco Moore

Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:57 am

Brilliant work by Hoilett, who shoves off his marker, on the turn, and drives towards the box.

He fakes a shot but plays a reverse pass to Ralls instead. The midfielder squares a left-footed ball across the box but a last-ditch challenge from Worrall clears the danger.