Where does it go wrong?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Where does it go wrong?

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:56 am

Our younger City players seem to shine every year from ages 9yrs old to 17yrs old and then bang they go into the under 23’s and they either fade away, given away and the results just get worse ? ? ?

Look this week another great result for under 18’s :thumbright: :bluebird:

U18 Match Report: Cardiff City 4-1 Bristol City :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Ntazana Mayembe
Academy

3 days 3 hours ago

Cardiff City's U18 side defeated Bristol City 4-1 in the Professional Development League opener at USW Sport Park on Saturday, September 12th.

CARDIFF CITY U18 4-1 BRISTOL CITY U18 :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Cian Ashford’s double, with goals from Siyabonga Ligendza and Owen Pritchard sealed three points for the hosts.

Matthew Bloxham named U16 player Ashford in a starting line-up captained by Ntazana Mayembe.

The Bluebirds’ opening opportunity came after six minutes. Winger Mayembe struck low from close range and James Walker did well to save.

Taylor Jones next neared an opener for the determined hosts, eight minutes later. The right-back rattled the ball off the crossbar with a first-time effort from a corner.

It was forward Ashford who went on to open the scoring for Cardiff City on the half hour mark. Intelligent Hughes’ threaded through-ball found the No.10 and he hammered home.

After the interval, play tightened as both sides hunted for the next goal, but the game opened up inside the final 15 minutes of the 90.

Substitute Ligendza came on to make an impact, going close after 76 minutes. The striker charged through on goal, before striking the ball into the side netting under pressure, adding the Bluebirds’ second goal just three minutes later.

Finding himself in a similar position inside the area, the forward struck low and straight past goalkeeper Walker.

Midfielder Pritchard scored his side’s third goal of the afternoon with 81 minutes played. The resolute Hughes’ powerful attempt was parried into the path of City’s No.8 who tapped in.

15-year-old Ashford looked to impress further and was successful by striking his second goal of the game, five minutes later. The striker impressively attacked from inside his own half, before finishing.

The Robins did secure a consolation goal in the closing stages through Thierry Swaby and the Bluebirds responded by looking for a fifth.

Neither team could find another goal and Cardiff City took a comfortable victory with three points from the 2020/21 season opener.

U18 FINAL SCORE: CARDIFF CITY 4-1 BRISTOL CITY

Cardiff City U18: Yanko, Jones, Davies, Clay, Macnamara, Chiabi, Hughes (Schwank 88’), Pritchard, Crole (Ligendza 64’), Ashford, Mayembe. Subs not used: Stewart, Ware.

Bristol City U18: Walker, Thuo, Allen (Bell 64’), Taylor-Clarke, Wood, Williams (Henry 75’), Leeson, Kadji, Backwell (Swaby 62’), Scott, Francois. Subs not used: Smith, Salmon.

Match Report: Richard Early
Attachments
A48FAE80-D582-4217-9F6D-FFAC75C495F0.jpeg
A48FAE80-D582-4217-9F6D-FFAC75C495F0.jpeg (127.62 KiB) Viewed 4424 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Where does it go wrong?

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Where does it go wrong?

Postby Bakedalasker » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:32 am

This problem has been prominent since Sam left us.

The Ridsdale era hardly produced anything except what he inherited from Sam. Tan has achieved like nothing from this department since taking over.

Tan has the desire to make this happen so perhaps he needs to look at what Sam did to become successful here.
Bakedalasker

Postby Abergavenny » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:16 am

It all went wrong when Neil Ardley was in charge and the coaches he put in place The success was under Matthew Crocker who went to Southampton and now i believe in charge of England youth set up
My son was there during both and the difference in coaching was dramatically worse under Ardley Some thing he brought throw Ramsey , Matthews , Blake but all the hard work was done be Crokers team
Abergavenny

Postby rumpo kid » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:38 am

Without knowing background its hard to say. All I can say is that some of the first team take two touches to control the ball, and some arent very good at passing. Some can only use one foot. Thats not a professional person in my book.

Possibly a throwback to the 70s in our coaches, and what they are asking players to do. Still seems built on physicality rather than mastery of the ball.
rumpo kid

Postby Escott1927 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:06 am

Forever Blue wrote:Our younger City players seem to shine every year from ages 9yrs old to 17yrs old and then bang they go into the under 23’s and they either fade away, given away and the results just get worse ? ? ?

U18 Match Report: Cardiff City 4-1 Bristol City :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Ntazana Mayembe
Academy

3 days 3 hours ago

Cardiff City's U18 side defeated Bristol City 4-1 in the Professional Development League opener at USW Sport Park on Saturday, September 12th.

CARDIFF CITY U18 4-1 BRISTOL CITY U18 :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Cian Ashford’s double, with goals from Siyabonga Ligendza and Owen Pritchard sealed three points for the hosts.

Matthew Bloxham named U16 player Ashford in a starting line-up captained by Ntazana Mayembe.

The Bluebirds’ opening opportunity came after six minutes. Winger Mayembe struck low from close range and James Walker did well to save.

Taylor Jones next neared an opener for the determined hosts, eight minutes later. The right-back rattled the ball off the crossbar with a first-time effort from a corner.

It was forward Ashford who went on to open the scoring for Cardiff City on the half hour mark. Intelligent Hughes’ threaded through-ball found the No.10 and he hammered home.

After the interval, play tightened as both sides hunted for the next goal, but the game opened up inside the final 15 minutes of the 90.

Substitute Ligendza came on to make an impact, going close after 76 minutes. The striker charged through on goal, before striking the ball into the side netting under pressure, adding the Bluebirds’ second goal just three minutes later.

Finding himself in a similar position inside the area, the forward struck low and straight past goalkeeper Walker.

Midfielder Pritchard scored his side’s third goal of the afternoon with 81 minutes played. The resolute Hughes’ powerful attempt was parried into the path of City’s No.8 who tapped in.

15-year-old Ashford looked to impress further and was successful by striking his second goal of the game, five minutes later. The striker impressively attacked from inside his own half, before finishing.

The Robins did secure a consolation goal in the closing stages through Thierry Swaby and the Bluebirds responded by looking for a fifth.

Neither team could find another goal and Cardiff City took a comfortable victory with three points from the 2020/21 season opener.

Cardiff City U18: Yanko, Jones, Davies, Clay, Macnamara, Chiabi, Hughes (Schwank 88’), Pritchard, Crole (Ligendza 64’), Ashford, Mayembe. Subs not used: Stewart, Ware.

Bristol City U18: Walker, Thuo, Allen (Bell 64’), Taylor-Clarke, Wood, Williams (Henry 75’), Leeson, Kadji, Backwell (Swaby 62’), Scott, Francois. Subs not used: Smith, Salmon.

You summed up the problem in another thread Annis. Every few years there seems to be a mass clear out and new coaching staff in. The youth setup needs a long term plan which i cant see happening when it changes constantly. Every year we hear about 'promising' players but never see them in the first team match day squad. These promising youngsters either need exposure to the first team or they need to be sent out on loan for development. The u23's can only develope a player so far.
Escott1927

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:11 am

Escott1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Our younger City players seem to shine every year from ages 9yrs old to 17yrs old and then bang they go into the under 23’s and they either fade away, given away and the results just get worse ? ? ?

Ntazana Mayembe
Academy

3 days 3 hours ago

You summed up the problem in another thread Annis. Every few years there seems to be a mass clear out and new coaching staff in. The youth setup needs a long term plan which i cant see happening when it changes constantly. Every year we hear about 'promising' players but never see them in the first team match day squad. These promising youngsters either need exposure to the first team or they need to be sent out on loan for development. The u23's can only develope a player so far.

Lee,

Spot on, on both accounts it needs stability, which every 1,2 or 3 yrs we are told there is another clear out etc etc and thats been no good at all, 11 yrs of it.

I def agree with you, they need more exposure and more links with the first team etc.

We also cant keep changing the coaches etc.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:14 am

Bakedalasker wrote:This problem has been prominent since Sam left us.

The Ridsdale era hardly produced anything except what he inherited from Sam. Tan has achieved like nothing from this department since taking over.

Tan has the desire to make this happen so perhaps he needs to look at what Sam did to become successful here.

Ian, a few on here will dislike your post, but its so so true, in the last 13 yrs since the Riddler its been totally neglected.

What ever some fans think about Sam, he invested money and time big time in our youth and it really was going places, since then, sadly just down hill.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Abergavenny » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:15 am

Forever Blue wrote:

Ian, a few on here will dislike your post, but its so so true, in the last 13 yrs since the Riddler its been totally neglected.

What ever some fans think about Sam, he invested money and time big time in our youth and it really was going places, since then, sadly just down hill.

Sam really did not invest heavily into the academy What was right was the staff with most being volunteers The players had to pay for their own training kits I remember paying around £200 each year for training kit They played on the university fields and did not have there own building I expect we are spending vastly more now , but it goes to show that money is not the answer but quality of coaching and leadership which was good back in Sam time My son was at academy for 6 years and i never saw Sam there once
Abergavenny

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:53 am

Abergavenny wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Sam really did not invest heavily into the academy What was right was the staff with most being volunteers The players had to pay for their own training kits I remember paying around £200 each year for training kit They played on the university fields and did not have there own building I expect we are spending vastly more now , but it goes to show that money is not the answer but quality of coaching and leadership which was good back in Sam time My son was at academy for 6 years and i never saw Sam there once

I can tell you now for a fact he did and the time and effort he gave towards it was unbelievable and I know because I was with him on many occasions.

Sam every Saturday morning would watch the kids and during the week he would go and watch different training sessions and if the youth had away games he would jump on the car and drive to places like Colchester to watch them and I know it’s true because I went with him to places like Colchester.

Sam was obsessed with our youth doing well.

Funny how it was virtually dead before Sam came another fact , some people will never admit Sam did anything right, you could not make it up.

I saw all this myself and meetings etc etc I attended.

Tell me how our youth etc has done the last 11 plus yrs?

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Abergavenny » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:36 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Abergavenny wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I can tell you now for a fact he did and the time and effort he gave towards it was unbelievable and I know because I was with him on many occasions.

Sam every Saturday morning would watch the kids and during the week he would go and watch different training sessions and if the youth had away games he would jump on the car and drive to places like Colchester to watch them and I know it’s true because I went with him to places like Colchester.

Funny how it was virtually dead before Sam came another fact , some people will never admit Sam did anything right, you could not make it up.

Don’t get me wrong as i said in Sam era he had the right staff Also only u16 and 18 were played on saturdays I never saw sam at the u8 to u14 who’s games were played on a Sunday and that is over a 6 year period. Someone like Ramsey i am sure would have come good whatever system was in place he was that good
Why players had to pay for there own training kit o always thought was a disgrace ( what are your thoughts) The system went wrong with lose of Matthew Crocker and his team Why he went i don’t know . Ardley and his staff are the ones to start the rot and it has continued even thou the academy now has better facilities and more money spent on it The two questions. i would ask is
Do we have the talent available on South Wales
Do we have the coaches to develop the talent

If the last 10 years are to be looked at the answer seems to be no on both accounts
The one year our u13 side beat Southampton 5-1 who were seen as the best academy side in UK and the southampton side that day now have players playing regularly for them , Liverpool, Arsenal and Man Utd The only player to come through was Declan John from Cardiff Also had 7 players in the team that beat England 4-1 mostly made up of players from the team that beat Southampton What a disgrace that only one ever played a league game for us All i can say is when this team moved to under 14s Ardley came in and academy went backwards

i don’t think you have rto spend a fortune to get players through
Abergavenny

Postby Man of Harlech » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:15 pm

One of the issues is of course spotting and attracting the right talent in the first place, an area in which the club has failed for many years.

The likes of Ledley, Gunter, Ramsey and Blake were already at the club when SH arrived so lets not try to credit him with them.

What talent did his regime spot and nurture ?
Man of Harlech

Postby exiled12345 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:25 pm

As I’ve posted before it’s the infrastructure and culture of club. We don’t have the facilities (training complex) our youth teams play and train miles away from the first team. As a whole we are extremely short sighted as an organisation.
exiled12345

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:51 pm

Man of Harlech wrote:One of the issues is of course spotting and attracting the right talent in the first place, an area in which the club has failed for many years.

The likes of Ledley, Gunter, Ramsey and Blake were already at the club when SH arrived so lets not try to credit him with them.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Can’t even give Sam credit .

The youth and Accademy Sam lived more than the first team.

It’s how they were all brought through and developed, I remember being with Sam and he use to make Robert Earnshaw do the weights one hr every day. Earnie was Weigh to light when Sam arrived.
Sam even saw the potential in Danny Gabbidon.

Now no one seems to care .

Are you serious?? :lol:

When Sam joined Cardiff City.

Ramsey was 9yrs old
Gunter was 11yrs old
Blake was 11yrs old
Ledley 13yrs old

How come we are not producing them now?

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:22 pm

Abergavenny wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Abergavenny wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Don’t get me wrong as i said in Sam era he had the right staff Also only u16 and 18 were played on saturdays I never saw sam at the u8 to u14 who’s games were played on a Sunday and that is over a 6 year period. Someone like Ramsey i am sure would have come good whatever system was in place he was that good
Why players had to pay for there own training kit o always thought was a disgrace ( what are your thoughts) The system went wrong with lose of Matthew Crocker and his team Why he went i don’t know . Ardley and his staff are the ones to start the rot and it has continued even thou the academy now has better facilities and more money spent on it The two questions. i would ask is
Do we have the talent available on South Wales
Do we have the coaches to develop the talent

If the last 10 years are to be looked at the answer seems to be no on both accounts
The one year our u13 side beat Southampton 5-1 who were seen as the best academy side in UK and the southampton side that day now have players playing regularly for them , Liverpool, Arsenal and Man Utd The only player to come through was Declan John from Cardiff Also had 7 players in the team that beat England 4-1 mostly made up of players from the team that beat Southampton What a disgrace that only one ever played a league game for us All i can say is when this team moved to under 14s Ardley came in and academy went backwards

i don’t think you have rto spend a fortune to get players through

I actually can’t comment about Sunday’s as I was always with my family.
But Saturday mornings Sam was every morning watching our kids, Friday nights youth games/ cup games and midweek.

Sam loved our youth system and use to meet the coaches and they loved Sam’s passion and use to listen to him as Sam I will stand by this knows more about football than the every person on our current committee and Under 23 coaches etc.

He use to eat, breath and sleep
Football.

To this day every City game Sam sends me an opposition report etc and texts at least 9 times during a Cardiff game.

Before the year 2000, City were dead on and off the pitch.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Sneggyblubird » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:22 pm

Abergavenny wrote:It all went wrong when Neil Ardley was in charge and the coaches he put in place The success was under Matthew Crocker who went to Southampton and now i believe in charge of England youth set up
My son was there during both and the difference in coaching was dramatically worse under Ardley Some thing he brought throw Ramsey , Matthews , Blake but all the hard work was done be Crokers team

Most informative post.Perhaps in time Harris can fix this.
Sneggyblubird

Postby Sven » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:26 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Man of Harlech wrote:One of the issues is of course spotting and attracting the right talent in the first place, an area in which the club has failed for many years.

It’s how they were all brought through and developed, I remember being with Sam and he use to make Robert Earnshaw do the weights one hr every day. Earnie was Weigh to light when Sam arrived.

Ramsey was 9yrs old
Gunter was 11yrs old
Blake was 11yrs old
Ledley 13yrs old

Bit of a mare there from Man of Harlech :lol:

Forever Blue is bang on the money with his comment above. I can personally recall Sam being at every youth game he possibly could and it was a standing joke that Sam was a better 'scout' than those he employed :laughing6:

The names mentioned above all came through on Sam's Watch and it's never been the same since ;)
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:26 pm

Abergavenny wrote:It all went wrong when Neil Ardley was in charge and the coaches he put in place The success was under Matthew Crocker who went to Southampton and now i believe in charge of England youth set up

I have to agree with that, Matthew Crocker was a cracking coach :bluebird:

Adam Matthews was 8yrs old when Sam arrived.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:29 pm

Sven wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Ramsey was 9yrs old
Gunter was 11yrs old
Blake was 11yrs old
Ledley 13yrs old

Bit if a mare there from Man of Harlech :lol:

Forever Blue is bang on the money with his comment above. I can personally recall Sam being at every youth game he possibly could and it was a standing joke that Sam was a better 'scout' than those he employed :laughing6:

The names mentioned above allxame through on Sam's Watch and it's never been the same since ;)

And that’s the real truth Chris :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:32 pm

I also remember when Sam and Tan were getting on the first thing Sam did was take Tan to watch the under under 9’s / under 11’s and under 13’s for three hrs, I was with them both and two
of my daughters.

Sam never ever stopped talking about the Accademy and the future and the enthusiasm Sam had for the Cardiff City kids was way way above anyone I have ever met had for them, they really were like they were his own.

Sam started a new era of kids wanting to play for Cardiff City and that’s a fact and he was very very proud of the Accademy :bluebird: :bluebird:
Attachments
0AAFB624-29DC-4638-AFCF-42CE36EF5A4D.jpeg
0AAFB624-29DC-4638-AFCF-42CE36EF5A4D.jpeg (177.25 KiB) Viewed 2047 times
31D7F757-51A2-4DDC-B911-4E070747191F.jpeg
31D7F757-51A2-4DDC-B911-4E070747191F.jpeg (21.59 KiB) Viewed 2061 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Abergavenny » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:45 pm

I can’t really think of any decent player that has come through since 2000 that did not spend some of their time at the academy during Sams years .

Matthews was 8yrs old
Ramsey was 9yrs old
Gunter was 11yrs old
Blake was 11yrs old
Ledley 13yrs old
Abergavenny

Postby skidemin » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:12 pm

exiled12345 wrote:As I’ve posted before it’s the infrastructure and culture of club. We don’t have the facilities (training complex) our youth teams play and train miles away from the first team. As a whole we are extremely short sighted as an organisation.

the age groups wouldnt be seeing the first team even if training on the same pitch though...
skidemin

Postby Abergavenny » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:21 am

Abergavenny wrote:I can’t really think of any decent player that has come through since 2000 that did not spend some of their time at the academy during Sams years .

Matthews was 8yrs old
Ramsey was 9yrs old
Gunter was 11yrs old
Blake was 11yrs old
Ledley 13yrs old

Exactly as my point says you can add Declan John as he was part of academy when Sam was there for sure So all the decent players spend some time in academy when sam was in charge Who ever added the names i am not sure you read my message correctly
Abergavenny

Return to General Chat