Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BREAKING: SOME CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES & 10 EFL GET CROWDS THIS W

Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:45 pm

Three Championship games will host 1,000 fans each this weekend

By Adam Shergold for MailOnline

Wednesday 16 Sep 2020

BREAKING NEWS: Crowds to return to football - 10 matches will host 1,000 fans each this weekend with Luton, Norwich and Middlesbrough among teams allowed to open doors despite the nationwide Rule of Six crackdown

10 EFL matches have been selected as pilot events this weekend
1,000 spectators will be admitted at each fixture as crowds return to games
It will be the first time since March that fans have been allowed at EFL fixtures
Pilot events are continuing despite the Government's latest restrictions
Gatherings in groups of over six have been banned to combat rising infections
Ten football matches across England will allow 1,000 fans in this weekend - despite coronavirus lockdown measures increasing across the country.

The English Football League have announced 10 teams, including three in the second-tier Championship at Norwich, Middlesbrough and Luton, have permission to host pilot events for the return of fans.

The news comes as part of the government's plans to allow increasing numbers of spectators into the return of sports' crowds - although it appears to be at odds with the country-wide crackdown on the 'rule of six'.

Carrow Road in Norwich is one of 10 EFL venues that will host pilot events this Saturday in which a maximum of 1,000 spectators will be admitted

The latest pilot events follow a successful trial at Cambridge's Abbey Stadium last week
Three games have been picked in the Sky Bet Championship - Luton Town vs Derby County at Kenilworth Road, Norwich City vs Preston North End at Carrow Road and Middlesbrough vs Bournemouth at the Riverside Stadium.

The League One matches at Charlton, Blackpool, Shrewsbury Town and Hull City, plus the League Two games at Forest Green Rovers, Carlisle United and Morecambe, have also been selected.

Middlesbrough's Riverside Stadium will welcome crowds for the first time since March

1,000 spectators will be allowed at Kenilworth Road in Luton for their game against Derby
EFL Pilot matches

Saturday 3pm unless stated

Championship

Luton Town v Derby County

Norwich City v Preston North End

Middlesbrough v AFC Bournemouth

League One

Blackpool v Swindon Town

Charlton Athletic v Doncaster Rovers

Shrewsbury v Northampton

Hull City v Crewe Alexandra

League Two

Forest Green Rovers v Bradford City

Carlisle v Southend (1pm)

Morecambe v Cambridge United

These 10 games will be the first in the three EFL divisions since March to admit fans.

862 fans attended the EFL Trophy game at Cambridge last week and were required to socially distance in the stands.

Re: BREAKING: SOME CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES & 10 EFL GET CROWDS TH

Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:02 pm

With Caerphilly and now RCT in lockdown we have no chance.

Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:30 pm

We had no chance anyway with Drakeford , Gethin and co.

Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:57 pm

Still too early to start returning to stadiums

Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:41 pm

It isn’t too early, everything is dying on its backside, whilst Covid is real and I accept its real, it is not the deadly pandemic we’ve been sold. The local lockdowns are a farce, I can do as I please, I just can’t do it with people from outside my house. Flu is still killing more people, that’s ok though as we’ve always had flu.

The percentages are actually heavily stacked against this being the deadly pandemic we were sold. Yes very elderly and/or Anyone to have serious underlying health concerns, you need to take extra care, but they do anyway regardless of Covid because of things such as the flu. I believe that you should have a choice. I like the social distancing measures put in place, I believe they will actually help fight the flu as well as Covid but this poxy lockdown lark - enough is enough, get people back to normal just taking a bit more care.

Life must go on and to be fair, China or anywhere in the Far East are getting on with it, seemingly with no second wave. Funny that isn’t it? And there are not many articles that appear to disprove what I am saying, Just a bit of scaremongering. That’s based on a bit a google search.

Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:50 pm

Why can't we be brave and give it a go in Wales ,do we need UK Government approval or permission??

Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:55 pm

It isn’t too early, everything is dying on its backside, whilst Covid is real and I accept its real, it is not the deadly pandemic we’ve been sold. The local lockdowns are a farce, I can do as I please, I just can’t do it with people from outside my house. Flu is still killing more people, that’s ok though as we’ve always had flu.

The percentages are actually heavily stacked against this being the deadly pandemic we were sold. Yes very elderly and/or Anyone to have serious underlying health concerns, you need to take extra care, but they do anyway regardless of Covid because of things such as the flu. I believe that you should have a choice. I like the social distancing measures put in place, I believe they will actually help fight the flu as well as Covid but this poxy lockdown lark - enough is enough, get people back to normal just taking a bit more care.

Life must go on and to be fair, China or anywhere in the Far East are getting on with it, seemingly with no second wave. Funny that isn’t it? And there are not many articles that appear to disprove what I am saying, Just a bit of scaremongering. That’s based on a bit a google search.

Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:28 pm

Get some in now - before we have more local lockdowns ;)

As most have said above - Not going to happen in Wales :shock:

Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:06 pm

Last week Cambridge had 2500 now it's 1000 surely that's going backwards

What will 1000 people in a football ground prove it's like having 3 in a pub.

Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:14 pm

2 teams withdraw from the plan! Not enough time apparently to organise. :o

Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:12 pm

pembroke allan wrote:2 teams withdraw from the plan! Not enough time apparently to organise. :o

There is expected to be a delay for plans to have 25/30% capacity in grounds due for Oct but now expected to be tried in Nov due uo present rise in covid cases review in processing being completed... also any move to have fans inside grounds could effected on a local basis if a local lockdown is in place?

Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:15 pm

fred keenor wrote:With Caerphilly and now RCT in lockdown we have no chance.

Let's be fair this is no going to happen - Agree .