Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff council a joke!

Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:44 pm

Caro wild the cabinet member for transport says the city as got itself in a mess regarding public transport and it's not fit for purpose? The same council that closed central bus station moved connecting bus stops 3/4 mile apart or more and built 2 carbunkles in its place! closed the main rd thru city and made the city basically a 20mph zone throughout .....They also want companies to get their employees to stagger start times to ease congestion! Just shows what a joke the council is when cannot see it caused the problem in 1st place.... but of course it will be the motorists who get brunt of their incompetence as is the norm for them.
:banghead:

Re: Cardiff council a joke!

Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:41 am

pembroke allan wrote:Caro wild the cabinet member for transport says the city as got itself in a mess regarding public transport and it's not fit for purpose? The same council that closed central bus station moved connecting bus stops 3/4 mile apart or more and built 2 carbunkles in its place! closed the main rd thru city and made the city basically a 20mph zone throughout .....They also want companies to get their employees to stagger start times to ease congestion! Just shows what a joke the council is when cannot see it caused the problem in 1st place.... but of course it will be the motorists who get brunt of their incompetence as is the norm for them.
:banghead:

unfortunately the assumption is always that their predecessors got it wrong.. its not just Cardiff..

Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:21 am

Agreed.

And a whole lot of their actions are as a result of attempts to meet self imposed air quality targets.

Curiously Castle St has cleaner air now but the overall picture is worse as cars making elongated journies on other routes around the city instead.

With the added irony that with Covid present those fortunate enough to have a car are currently not going to switch to buses and trains.

How they were allowed to demolish the bus station as they did I have no idea.

I found out the other day that the BBC, whose shiny new expensive home was supposedly strategically placed there to encourage use of public transport, actually has 250 parking spaces ring fenced for itself in the next phase of development!!

Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:36 am

They’re not all bad.. problem is, if someone screws up, they don’t get sacked or demoted. Union shielded driftwood a lot of them..

Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:18 am

rumpo kid wrote:They’re not all bad.. problem is, if someone screws up, they don’t get sacked or demoted. Union shielded driftwood a lot of them..

No very true but it was the statement that I thought was ironic! As the mess is of their doing and continues to be so with their anti car stance

Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:19 am

If you think Cardiff Council is bad, Torfaen Council are abysmal

Employees supposed to be working from home but never answer their phone or reply to left messages

Nobody can make a decision, you get fobbed off and passed from dept to dept. The whole council is pathetic with most of them promoted way above their abilities

Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:25 am

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:Agreed.

And a whole lot of their actions are as a result of attempts to meet self imposed air quality targets.

Curiously Castle St has cleaner air now but the overall picture is worse as cars making elongated journies on other routes around the city instead.

With the added irony that with Covid present those fortunate enough to have a car are currently not going to switch to buses and trains.

How they were allowed to demolish the bus station as they did I have no idea.

I found out the other day that the BBC, whose shiny new expensive home was supposedly strategically placed there to encourage use of public transport, actually has 250 parking spaces ring fenced for itself in the next phase of development!!

They demolished it on the pretence that they would build a nice new one a fully integrated transport system.... the trouble is one terminus will be at back of train station and other where the building works are next to bbc...... must ask why do they need 250 spaces that's more car parking than was ever around original station? Why couldn't they put both buildings in callaghan square plenty of space! Trouble with council is it as a history of reneging on promises like ice rink... empire pool and more and of course fact its been labour run for as long as can remember! :old:

Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:37 am

All councils are very much on the same level and that being bloody useless.

We pay a council tax for a service. How many of us are happy with it? For me I try and do most things by myself. However, there are times when I need to use the council and that is when my problems start.

Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:59 am

Bakedalasker wrote:All councils are very much on the same level and that being bloody useless.

We pay a council tax for a service. How many of us are happy with it? For me I try and do most things by myself. However, there are times when I need to use the council and that is when my problems start.

Ours loves getting rid if CEO for unknown reasons and then giving them large payoff latest £95k previous one 2ys ago cost lot more than that and he drove around in council porche!! :o

Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:59 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:All councils are very much on the same level and that being bloody useless.

Ours loves getting rid if CEO for unknown reasons and then giving them large payoff latest £95k previous one 2ys ago cost lot more than that and he drove around in council porche!! :o

A council Porche?like the ones on the front of people’s houses you mean big al?

Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:20 pm

stephendavid wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Ours loves getting rid if CEO for unknown reasons and then giving them large payoff latest £95k previous one 2ys ago cost lot more than that and he drove around in council porsche!! :o

A council Porsche? Like the ones on the front of people’s houses you mean big al?

Yes that's the one got 4 wheels and goes beep beep! :mrgreen:

Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:57 am

Bus station maybe ready by end 2022 instead of 2017!! And why when bus station already had a site but needed rebuilding did council sell or gave the land away for two carbunkles to be built on site and then go spend £15m on land 100yrds away to build a new bus station? Mmm Very odd goings on at council :o

Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:14 am

Think it was to centralise jobs so people had to use public transport, and to keep the centre busy. Dont know about the 250 spaces, because when the BBC was built there was limited underground parking there only.. Same for the HMRC, who are all moaning because they will have to pay the extra to travel to town instead of Llanishen.

Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:55 pm

rumpo kid wrote:Think it was to centralise jobs so people had to use public transport, and to keep the centre busy. Dont know about the 250 spaces, because when the BBC was built there was limited underground parking there only.. Same for the HMRC, who are all moaning because they will have to pay the extra to travel to town instead of Llanishen.

Think you find the car spaces are in new multi story car park being built with new bus station.. didnt need two office blocks stuck outside train station to keep centre busy that's for sure

Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:21 pm

I don't have a big issue with the bus station going, even if they don't build another one. If they are building another one though, surely it should have been done before they knocked the old one down !!!???

But the Castle Street move is madness. They don't seem to understand that the only way to get people who live inside or outside the city boundaries to use buses/public transport is to get them working properly first and make them affordable.

All this road closure has done is split the city in two and ensured that the roads south of the centre are snarled up with people trying to get across/into the city centre. That, in turn, causes greater emissions and defeats the whole object.

Let's be fair, I can't see many people sitting under wind swept gazebos outside the castle eating and drinking from Oct-April in Cardiff :shock: :roll: :laughing6:

Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:59 pm

piledriver64 wrote:I don't have a big issue with the bus station going, even if they don't build another one. If they are building another one though, surely it should have been done before they knocked the old one down !!!???

But the Castle Street move is madness. They don't seem to understand that the only way to get people who live inside or outside the city boundaries to use buses/public transport is to get them working properly first and make them affordable.

All this road closure has done is split the city in two and ensured that the roads south of the centre are snarled up with people trying to get across/into the city centre. That, in turn, causes greater emissions and defeats the whole object.

Let's be fair, I can't see many people sitting under wind swept gazebos outside the castle eating and drinking from Oct-April in Cardiff :shock: :roll: :laughing6:

Logic says dont remove unless got plan to replace it? But council got history of demolitioning things with nothing in place or renege on what told people .... what they've done with buses is stopped cross city travel now they've stopped cars doing same for what so cyclists can speed around pedestrians? it will be a white elephant come Oct to April as no one outside and few bikes in cold wet weather...