Breaking news pilot charged and appears in court over sala

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby wez1927 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:25 pm

Man being prosecuted over fatal flight which killed Emiliano Sala

Thursday 15th October 2020

Emiliano Sala was on his way from Nantes to Cardiff City when the plane he was flying in crashed into the English Channel in January 2019

By Bournemouth News and Katie Sands

A pilot is being prosecuted over the fatal flight in which footballer Emiliano Sala died, it was confirmed on Thursday.

David Henderson, 66, a private pilot from Hotham, North Yorkshire, is set to appear in Cardiff Crown Court this month.

The Piper Malibu PA-46 in which Mr Sala was travelling was en route from Nantes airport in France to Cardiff when it plunged into the English Channel on January 21, 2019.

The 28-year-old Argentine striker's body was recovered on February 7, 2019, and taken to Portland, Dorset. The plane's pilot, David Ibbotson, 59, has not been found.

A post-mortem examination showed Mr Sala died from head and trunk injuries. He had also been exposed to deadly levels of carbon monoxide poisoning during the flight.

It later emerged Mr Ibbotson was not qualified to fly at night or carry commercial passengers.

The prosecution is being brought by the Civil Aviation Authority against Henderson for allegedly acting in a "reckless and negligent" manner under the Air Navigation Order (2016).

He is next due to appear at Cardiff Crown Court on October 26.

Richard Stephenson, director at the Civilian Aviation Authority

The prosecution is being brought by the Civil Aviation Authority against Henderson for allegedly acting in a "reckless and negligent" manner under the Air Navigation Order (2016).

He is also charged with attempting to cause the plane to discharge a passenger in the UK.

It has emerged that Henderson appeared before magistrates in Cardiff on September 28 where he pleaded not guilty to the two criminal charges.

Richard Stephenson, director at the Civilian Aviation Authority, said: "The UK Civil Aviation Authority has commenced a prosecution of David Henderson for offences associated with the fatal light aircraft accident over the English Channel in January 2019.

"The charges are: On the 18th and 19th of January 2019, acted in a reckless/negligent manner likely to endanger N264DB (Articles 240, 256 and Part 4 of Schedule 13 of the Air Navigation Order 2016).

"On the 21st of January 2019, attempted to cause N264DB to discharge a passenger in the UK (Section 1(1) of the Criminal Attempts Act 1981, Articles 250, 256 and Part 3 of Schedule 13 of the Air Navigation Order 2016).

"It will be inappropriate for the CAA to say anything further until the case is concluded."

Henderson's prosecution was revealed during a pre-inquest review into Mr Sala's death which was held at Bournemouth Town Hall on Thursday.

As a result, the full inquest is not expected to take place until 2022, more than three years after his death.

Dorset Coroner Rachael Griffin said it would be in the "interests of justice" not to proceed until criminal proceedings against Henderson had ended.

Matthew Reeve, representing Mr Sala's family, said they opposed the delay as it was not in the "public interest".

Keith Morton QC, representing the Civil Aviation Authority, told the inquest: "On September 9, 2020, the CAA issued two summonses against David Henderson for offences under the Air Navigation Order.

"One, under Article 240, endangering aircraft, relates to two flights including the return flight on January 21, 2019, that ended in the accident that you are directly concerned with.

"A separate offence under Article 250 relates to the licensing of that particular flight on January 21.

"David Henderson appeared before Cardiff Magistrates Court on September 28 and entered a not guilty plea. The case was committed to Cardiff Crown Court with his next appearance on October 26."

When he was asked by the coroner for a timescale for that prosecution, he replied: "Early 2022."

Ms Griffin said: "The final inquest hearing will not take place until the conclusion of the prosecution.

"I'm sympathetic to the delay this will cause in light of what Mr Morton saying about it could potentially go on until early 2022, if not later, but in the interests of justice it is important to await the conclusion of that prosecution."

Mr Reeve had told her: "There is a significant public interest to this inquest and delays should be avoided in the interest of public safety.

"There has already been a delay of two years and it is the wish of the family that this inquest hearing go on as planned.

"One does not have to imagine the impact on the family of further delay."

The hearing was watched on videolink by Mr Ibbotson's wife Nora, with legal representatives for Cardiff City and the Civil Aviation Authority in attendance.

The inquest was adjourned until December 15.
Attachments
FA85E549-3012-4DED-93D5-FB2629EAD2B2.jpeg
FA85E549-3012-4DED-93D5-FB2629EAD2B2.jpeg (57.59 KiB) Viewed 6654 times
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Breaking news pilot charged and appears in court over sa

Postby Bluebina » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:59 pm

wez1927 wrote:Man being prosecuted over fatal flight which killed Emiliano Sala

Thursday 15th October 2020

Emiliano Sala was on his way from Nantes to Cardiff City when the plane he was flying in crashed into the English Channel in January 2019

ByBournemouth News and Picture ServiceKatie Sands16:03, 15 OCT 2020

Emiliano Sala
A pilot is being prosecuted over the fatal flight in which footballer Emiliano Sala died, it was confirmed on Thursday.

David Henderson, 66, a private pilot from Hotham, North Yorkshire, is set to appear in Cardiff Crown Court this month.

The Piper Malibu PA-46 in which Mr Sala was travelling was en route from Nantes airport in France to Cardiff when it plunged into the English Channel on January 21, 2019.

The 28-year-old Argentine striker's body was recovered on February 7, 2019, and taken to Portland, Dorset. The plane's pilot, David Ibbotson, 59, has not been found.

A post-mortem examination showed Mr Sala died from head and trunk injuries. He had also been exposed to deadly levels of carbon monoxide poisoning during the flight.

It later emerged Mr Ibbotson was not qualified to fly at night or carry commercial passengers.

About time !

Richard Stephenson, director at the Civilian Aviation Authority

He is also charged with attempting to cause the plane to discharge a passenger in the UK.

It has emerged that Henderson appeared before magistrates in Cardiff on September 28 where he pleaded not guilty to the two criminal charges.

Richard Stephenson, director at the Civilian Aviation Authority, said: "The UK Civil Aviation Authority has commenced a prosecution of David Henderson for offences associated with the fatal light aircraft accident over the English Channel in January 2019.

"The charges are: On the 18th and 19th of January 2019, acted in a reckless/negligent manner likely to endanger N264DB (Articles 240, 256 and Part 4 of Schedule 13 of the Air Navigation Order 2016).

"On the 21st of January 2019, attempted to cause N264DB to discharge a passenger in the UK (Section 1(1) of the Criminal Attempts Act 1981, Articles 250, 256 and Part 3 of Schedule 13 of the Air Navigation Order 2016).

"It will be inappropriate for the CAA to say anything further until the case is concluded."

Henderson's prosecution was revealed during a pre-inquest review into Mr Sala's death which was held at Bournemouth Town Hall on Thursday.

As a result, the full inquest is not expected to take place until 2022, more than three years after his death.

Dorset Coroner Rachael Griffin said it would be in the "interests of justice" not to proceed until criminal proceedings against Henderson had ended.

Matthew Reeve, representing Mr Sala's family, said they opposed the delay as it was not in the "public interest".

Keith Morton QC, representing the Civil Aviation Authority, told the inquest: "On September 9, 2020, the CAA issued two summonses against David Henderson for offences under the Air Navigation Order.

"One, under Article 240, endangering aircraft, relates to two flights including the return flight on January 21, 2019, that ended in the accident that you are directly concerned with.

"A separate offence under Article 250 relates to the licensing of that particular flight on January 21.

"David Henderson appeared before Cardiff Magistrates Court on September 28 and entered a not guilty plea. The case was committed to Cardiff Crown Court with his next appearance on October 26."

When he was asked by the coroner for a timescale for that prosecution, he replied: "Early 2022."

Ms Griffin said: "The final inquest hearing will not take place until the conclusion of the prosecution.

"I'm sympathetic to the delay this will cause in light of what Mr Morton saying about it could potentially go on until early 2022, if not later, but in the interests of justice it is important to await the conclusion of that prosecution."

Mr Reeve had told her: "There is a significant public interest to this inquest and delays should be avoided in the interest of public safety.

"There has already been a delay of two years and it is the wish of the family that this inquest hearing go on as planned.

"One does not have to imagine the impact on the family of further delay."

The hearing was watched on videolink by Mr Ibbotson's wife Nora, with legal representatives for Cardiff City and the Civil Aviation Authority in attendance.

The inquest was adjourned until December 15.

About time!
Bluebina

Postby skidemin » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:35 pm

charged with what ?
skidemin

Postby wez1927 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:27 pm

skidemin wrote:charged with what ?

Its in the report "lol"
wez1927

Postby wez1927 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:27 pm

skidemin wrote:charged with what ?

wez1927

Postby Paul Keevil » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:30 pm

The question I want to know is who he was acting as Employee, Servant or Agent of.

If there is any link to him bringing Emiliano to South Wales, on behalf of Nantes, then I truly believe (if he is found guilty) that not only will Cardiff escape the £15m fee but Cardiff could then also go after Nantes for Loss of Revenue as a result of being relegated

I know some will question this but I work in law and this point has been discussed informally with Barrister friends of mine.
Looking for a Photographer?

Accredited Champions League, Premiership and FL Photographer
Cover RL, RU, Motorsport etc
Accredited - 2012 Olympic Games
Attend "Celebrity Events" - papping
Weddings & Porfolio Work
Paul Keevil

Postby wez1927 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:21 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:The question I want to know is who he was acting as Employee, Servant or Agent of.

If there is any link to him bringing Emiliano to South Wales, on behalf of Nantes, then I truly believe (if he is found guilty) that not only will Cardiff escape the £15m fee but Cardiff could then also go after Nantes for Loss of Revenue as a result of being relegated

I know some will question this but I work in law and this point has been discussed informally with Barrister friends of mine.

He was instructed by the mckays, who were the selling agents for nantes, already confirmed in a letter to sala which was confirmed in earlier releases
wez1927

Postby bluesince62 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:04 pm

I said at the time of the tragedy, the pilot who was allegedly going to do the flight,dropped out,and put emiliano's life in the hands of an unfit aircraft,and worse still,a pilot who was unfit to fly at night,or carry fare paying passengers!! Reading the final report from investigation into the cause of the crash,it mentions the plane braking up,due to travelling faster than it was designed for,plus deadly carbon monoxide poisoning.meaning the plane was not fit to be in the air?? I wonder what effect this may have on our case,as now criminal proceedings won't conclude until early 2022 at best? :old: :bluebird:
bluesince62

Postby Sven » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:25 pm

wez1927 wrote:
Paul Keevil wrote:The question I want to know is who he was acting as Employee, Servant or Agent of.

He was instructed by the mckays, who were the selling agents for nantes, already confirmed in a letter to sala which was confirmed in earlier releases

Wez, I can't recall if the McKay's (legal and illegal) were eating directly for the player or for a mix of the player and his club, FC Nantes...?

If the latter, they would be vicariously liable under the common law doctrine of agency, where the responsibility of the superior (FC Nantes) for the acts of their subordinate (McKay) are key

Paul Keevil is not one to make rash statements, so his comments above are very interesting indeed :thumbright:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Bakedalasker » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:48 pm

Sven wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Wez, I can't recall if the McKay's (legal and illegal) were eating directly for the player or for a mix of the player and his club, FC Nantes...?

If the latter, they would be vicariously liable under the common law doctrine of agency, where the responsibility of the superior (FC Nantes) for the acts of their subordinate (McKay) are key

Paul Keevil is not one to make rash statements, so his comments above are very interesting indeed :thumbright:

All this is very interesting. This CAS judgement will tell us more.
Bakedalasker

Postby wez1927 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:56 pm

Sven wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

100% they were employed by nantes to sell sala,they even sent sala a letter in the public domaim confirming it ,
wez1927

Postby wez1927 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:58 pm

Sven wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

https://amp.reddit.com/r/soccer/comment ... la_before/
wez1927

Postby skidemin » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:22 pm

wez1927 wrote:
Sven wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

https://amp.reddit.com/r/soccer/comment ... la_before/

its never been in question that they worked for Nantes during the negotiations..
skidemin

Postby Sven » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:11 am

wez1927 wrote:
Sven wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

100% they were employed by nantes to sell sala,they even sent sala a letter in the public domaim confirming it ,

Thanks, Wez :thumbup:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby oohahhPaulMillar » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:11 pm

The fact that Nantes have always refused to discuss any sort of compromise over the fee may now come back to bite them on the arse
oohahhPaulMillar

Postby Sven » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:14 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:The fact that Nantes have always refused to discuss any sort of compromise over the fee may now come back to bite them on the arse

We live in hope; this 'charge' is a step in the right direction but it seems there's still some way to go :thumbright:
Sven

Postby Bakedalasker » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:56 pm

Sven wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:The fact that Nantes have always refused to discuss any sort of compromise over the fee may now come back to bite them on the arse

We live in hope; this 'charge' is a step in the right direction but it seems there's still some way to go :thumbright:

It's going to be very difficult to validate the connection is strong enough.
Bakedalasker

Postby skidemin » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:44 pm

Nantes take on it has always been he was a Cardiff player and they had no idea if or when he was returning as it was a personal trip...backed up by both our club and Emiliano attempting to arrange transport for a return journey.. with Mckay stepping in via his son to arrange flights as a favour.. who knows maybe if we can get CAS to agree his registration had not been completed or that it was a grey area / ambiguous it might then be argued he was still under the instructions of Nantes.. but i think its difficult to argue that we were not behaving as if he was our player..or that he was acting as if it was the responsibility of Nantes or their agents to sort his transpoert...or that Mckay was not doing a favour... its all documented..
skidemin

Postby wez1927 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:15 am

skidemin wrote:

Nantes take on it has always been he was a Cardiff player and they had no idea if or when he was returning as it was a personal trip...backed up by both our club and Emiliano attempting to arrange transport for a return journey.. with Mckay stepping in via his son to arrange flights as a favour.. who knows maybe if we can get CAS to agree his registration had not been completed or that it was a grey area / ambiguous it might then be argued he was still under the instructions of Nantes.. but i think its difficult to argue that we were not behaving as if he was our player..or that he was acting as if it was the responsibility of Nantes or their agents to sort his transpoert...or that Mckay was not doing a favour... its all documented..

He went to nantes training ground to get his stuff and say his goodbyes at the time he wasn't a cardiff player his contract was rejected for being illegal he never signed a new one fifa and the welsh fa jumped the gun
wez1927

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:29 am

wez1927 wrote:100% they were employed by nantes to sell sala,they even sent sala a letter in the public domaim confirming it

Yes you are absolutely right Nantes did instruct McKay's agency to sell Sala and it the Agency (via McKay) arranged the flight on which he was eventually killed.

However, the sticking point is 'was Sala a 100% Cardiff City player at the point of his death'? If he was then McKay wasn't working for Nantes because he would have fulfilled his brief and Nantes wouldn't be liable. If Sala wasn't 100% a Cardiff City player then that opens up the possibility of Nantes being financially liable for his death. Either way the agency seem bang on liable but it is unknown whether they would have finance to pay any compensation.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:48 am

wez1927 wrote:He went to nantes training ground to get his stuff and say his goodbyes at the time he wasn't a cardiff player his contract was rejected for being illegal he never signed a new one fifa and the welsh fa jumped the gun

My take has always been at the time of his death Sala was not 100% a Cardiff City player. He was only 100% a Cardiff City player when all the paperwork was fully processed. His contract was rejected by the Premier League and as the players main motivation for signing for Cardiff City was Premiership football then the contract was dead in the water and technically Sala was a free to return to Nantes. If they refused to have him back then he was a free agent and Nantes would lose their asset for nothing. The process of signing a player involves several different components coming together (e.g. medical, registration, contract etc.) and all are subject to each other. So the fact the Welsh FA accepted his registration was only one component and was subject to PL approval of the players contract. The PL rejected the contract and until this was resolved he was not 100% a Cardiff City player.

Of course the real remedy was for him to sign a new contract, which sadly he was unable to do so. Not only did the Welsh FA jump the gun with the registration but it can be argued that Nantes jumped the gun and their haste has potentially led them to being liable for his death due to McKay's agency arranging the tragic flight.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby skidemin » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:14 am

wez1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

He went to nantes training ground to get his stuff and say his goodbyes at the time he wasn't a cardiff player his contract was rejected for being illegal he never signed a new one fifa and the welsh fa jumped the gun

mate....you might think that he was still a Nantes player now but at the time nobody thought that...and no it was nt illegal :?
skidemin

Postby skidemin » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:25 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
wez1927 wrote:He went to nantes training ground to get his stuff and say his goodbyes at the time he wasn't a cardiff player his contract was rejected for being illegal he never signed a new one fifa and the welsh fa jumped the gun

My take has always been at the time of his death Sala was not 100% a Cardiff City player. He was only 100% a Cardiff City player when all the paperwork was fully processed. His contract was rejected by the Premier League and as the players main motivation for signing for Cardiff City was Premiership football then the contract was dead in the water and technically Sala was a free to return to Nantes. If they refused to have him back then he was a free agent and Nantes would lose their asset for nothing. The process of signing a player involves several different components coming together (e.g. medical, registration, contract etc.) and all are subject to each other. So the fact the Welsh FA accepted his registration was only one component and was subject to PL approval of the players contract. The PL rejected the contract and until this was resolved he was not 100% a Cardiff City player.

Of course the real remedy was for him to sign a new contract, which sadly he was unable to do so. Not only did the Welsh FA jump the gun with the registration but it can be argued that Nantes jumped the gun and their haste has potentially led them to being liable for his death due to McKay's agency arranging the tragic flight.

you can not register another clubs player to play in a competition.eg we can not just go and register Messi with the EFL this afternoon on the off chance he wakes up a Cardiff fan one day and why there is so much pressure on deadline day... if you could just register whoever we could have registered all our targets with the EFL last Monday and see what happens re actually signing them.. ...... he really does have to have registered with you first...which he had done....
skidemin

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:12 pm

skidemin wrote:you can not register another clubs player to play in a competition.eg we can not just go and register Messi with the EFL this afternoon on the off chance he wakes up a Cardiff fan one day and why there is so much pressure on deadline day... if you could just register whoever we could have registered all our targets with the EFL last Monday and see what happens re actually signing them.. ...... he really does have to have registered with you first...which he had done....

You have missed the point completely. Registration is only one part of a transfer there are several other things which need to come together before he was a 100% Cardiff City player.

Sala may have been registered as a Cardiff City player. But if the contract that was offered to secure the registration turns out to be beyond the clubs ability to deliver (in this case PL football), then registration or not Sala wouldn't have been a Cardiff City player as the club could-not give him PL football until a new contract was agreed. Sala had the option to walk away although that is probably unlikely but it is relevant to who was responsible for his wellbeing and safety at that point in time. As he was still using the facilitation of the agent representing Nantes (and not Cardiff City) then CCFC have a perfectly arguable case.

I unfortunately (again) agree with Wez that the Welsh FA & Nantes jumped the gun in believing the deal was fully completed.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Sven » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:37 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
skidemin wrote:you can not register another clubs player to play in a competition.eg we can not just go and register Messi with the EFL this afternoon on the off chance he wakes up a Cardiff fan one day and why there is so much pressure on deadline day... if you could just register whoever we could have registered all our targets with the EFL last Monday and see what happens re actually signing them.. ...... he really does have to have registered with you first...which he had done....

You have missed the point completely. Registration is only one part of a transfer there are several other things which need to come together before he was a 100% Cardiff City player.

Sala may have been registered as a Cardiff City player. But if the contract that was offered to secure the registration turns out to be beyond the clubs ability to deliver (in this case PL football), then registration or not Sala wouldn't have been a Cardiff City player as the club could-not give him PL football until a new contract was agreed. Sala had the option to walk away although that is probably unlikely but it is relevant to who was responsible for his wellbeing and safety at that point in time. As he was still using the facilitation of the agent representing Nantes (and not Cardiff City) then CCFC have a perfectly arguable case.

I unfortunately (again) agree with Wez that the Welsh FA & Nantes jumped the gun in believing the deal was fully completed.

Thanks, Tony. That sums it up nicely...again! :ayatollah:
Sven

Return to General Chat