Is it about time this forum had a politics secton.

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby stickywicket » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:38 pm

Afterall I persume it was set up for all things Cardiff City. :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:
stickywicket

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Is it about time this forum had a politics secton.

Postby WestCoastBlue » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:46 pm

I think so. I do enjoy partaking in the politics discussions but it clutters up the front page and pushes down the Cardiff content, I can see more casual users getting put off by too much politics.

On a separate note if we’re decluttering the front page can we have a section where Daya and Brownie can post their absolute drivel? There’s enough ads on the forum without 2 posters who contribute nothing to other threads and just leave links to their own personal websites :?
WestCoastBlue

Postby englishbluebird » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:44 pm

I agree
"Like we give a f**k about the Carling Cup"-6Bysedd
englishbluebird

Postby worcester_ccfc » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:32 pm

I would definitely agree.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby Ponty Bluebird » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:13 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:I think so. I do enjoy partaking in the politics discussions but it clutters up the front page and pushes down the Cardiff content, I can see more casual users getting put off by too much politics.

On a separate note if we’re decluttering the front page can we have a section where Daya and Brownie can post their absolute drivel? There’s enough ads on the forum without 2 posters who contribute nothing to other threads and just leave links to their own personal websites :?

I agree :thumbup:
Ponty Bluebird

Postby Sven » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:20 am

stickywicket wrote:Afterall I persume it was set up for all things Cardiff City. :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

I agree, fella but (having seen/tried similar efforts in the past) it simply wouldn't work :(

A fair few (certainly not all) people on here don't really play the game on such things and will post in the Main Forum 'by default'

You only have to see how many threads are created when others already exist to see that

It's a shame but sadly how it is :cry:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby ealing_ayatollah » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:01 am

Sven wrote:
stickywicket wrote:Afterall I persume it was set up for all things Cardiff City. :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

I agree, fella but (having seen/tried similar efforts in the past) it simply wouldn't work :(

A fair few (certainly not all) people on here don't really play the game on such things and will post in the Main Forum 'by default'

You only have to see how many threads are created when others already exist to see that

You may well be right a politics section might not work for the reasons you suggest, but respectfully,it seems a bit of a defeatist attitutde to not even try because it might not work?

Couldnt the mods just move posts to the right area. Think I've seen that done before on posts so assume it is possible?

I think with a firm but consistent approach and good communication (DM the OP to let them know when a post is moved and why) then most people would eventually give up gaming the system. Surely worth trying though as there is clearly an appetite for it?

I like to post on football threads as much as non-football, but truth of the matter is it is the non-football threads which have far higher engagement which keeps them up front page. Thread for thread I'd imagine they also bring more ad revenue to the forum as they are longer so more pages?

Surely, the easiest answer for those complaining about not enough football threads on front page is just to post on them more?

:ayatollah:
I'm just a wine drinking monkey that has a penchant for fine bannanas. You can check out my human alter-ego singing and speaking nonsense on the you tube if you like @ https://www.youtube.com/user/sibaronimusic
ealing_ayatollah

Postby ion » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:08 am

The thing is people flip flop around like labour when posting stuff I think it would be hard to keep it to one section :lol: only joking ,good idea ,I post enough political crap
ion

Postby Sven » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:26 am

ealing_ayatollah wrote:
Sven wrote:

You may well be right a politics section might not work for the reasons you suggest, but respectfully,it seems a bit of a defeatist attitutde to not even try because it might not work?

Couldnt the mods just move posts to the right area. Think I've seen that done before on posts so assume it is possible?

I think with a firm but consistent approach and good communication (DM the OP to let them know when a post is moved and why) then most people would eventually give up gaming the system. Surely worth trying though as there is clearly an appetite for it?

I like to post on football threads as much as non-football, but truth of the matter is it is the non-football threads which have far higher engagement which keeps them up front page. Thread for thread I'd imagine they also bring more ad revenue to the forum as they are longer so more pages?

Surely, the easiest answer for those complaining about not enough football threads on front page is just to post on them more?

It's hard to disagree with any of that (other than it's been tried before) and I'll put it to the other Mods/Admins to see if it's worth another go :thumbright:

The idea about those complaining is a novel one that one or two might think about taking up ;)
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:00 am

I have been a member of this forum since day one. The forum has it's faults but by in large it is run excellently. I would prefer not to try and fix something that is not broke.

Leave everything as it is, (please) :thumbup:
Tony Blue Williams

Postby ealing_ayatollah » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:02 am

Sven wrote:
ealing_ayatollah wrote:
Sven wrote:

It's hard to disagree with any of that (other than it's been tried before) and I'll put it to the other Mods/Admins to see if it's worth another go :thumbright:

The idea about those complaining is a novel one that one or two might think about taking up ;)

:thumbup:
I'm just a wine drinking monkey that has a penchant for fine bannanas. You can check out my human alter-ego singing and speaking nonsense on the you tube if you like @ https://www.youtube.com/user/sibaronimusic
ealing_ayatollah

Postby pembroke allan » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:00 pm

Now its politics what will be next ? This forum is based on open debate so banishing one sector to back pages means information will be lost and what constitutes politics? County councils a politician doing wrong ect ect .... as usual the answer is if subject is not for your taste simply dont look or post on it! Simples. :old:
pembroke allan

Postby worcester_ccfc » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:04 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Now its politics what will be next ? This forum is based on open debate so banishing one sector to back pages means information will be lost and what constitutes politics? County councils a politician doing wrong ect ect .... as usual the answer is if subject is not for your taste simply dont look or post on it! Simples. :old:

The fact is many people come on here to talk about football but there are far too many political topics posted on a daily basis.

I try to condense them down to the same thread if they're on a similar topic, but this can often take me a long time.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

worcester_ccfc

Postby Bluebina » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:05 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:I think so. I do enjoy partaking in the politics discussions but it clutters up the front page and pushes down the Cardiff content, I can see more casual users getting put off by too much politics.

I do agree with the Daya and Brownie bit, I never open them anymore but they do get in the way, and don't add anything at all :thumbup:

I'm happy to glance through football or politics at the same time, if the football is good the politics dies down anyway.
Bluebina

Postby pembroke allan » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:10 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Now its politics what will be next ? This forum is based on open debate so banishing one sector to back pages means information will be lost and what constitutes politics? County councils a politician doing wrong ect ect .... as usual the answer is if subject is not for your taste simply dont look or post on it! Simples. :old:

The fact is many people come on here to talk about football but there are far too many political topics posted on a daily basis.

I try to condense them down to the same thread if they're on a similar topic, but this can often take me a long time.

Ned cant you just shift them to bottom of page if not interesting? Not all political posts are boring or of no interest to people... or simply delete topic? :D
pembroke allan

Postby worcester_ccfc » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:13 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:

Ned cant you just shift them to bottom of page if not interesting? Not all political posts are boring or of no interest to people... or simply delete topic? :D

I'm not moving them to the bottom of the page, just moving them to one topic. If people continue to discuss them, they will be at the top of the page still.

My personal opinion is there should be a politics forum - just as there is for gambling and selling.

@neddthomas on Twitter.

worcester_ccfc

Postby pembroke allan » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:20 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:

I'm not moving them to the bottom of the page, just moving them to one topic. If people continue to discuss them, they will be at the top of the page still.

My personal opinion is there should be a politics forum - just as there is for gambling and selling.

Thats fine but that wont stop people posting things about a politician council ect on main forum... seems like impossible task and to much work for you and fellow mods :o
pembroke allan

Postby paulh_85 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:25 pm

the political threads are the ones that get the most posts. (thread about Newport not kneeling has more than anything cardiff related recently)

Maybe its time the forum had a football section? :laughing6:
paulh_85

Postby Bluebina » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:59 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:

I don't think anyone would use them, and this boards traffic and posts would reduce massively, I've never read those other boards I forgot they even existed, is wolfpack on there he always posted about gambling?
Bluebina

Postby Bluebina » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:08 pm

Bluebina wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:

I don't think anyone would use them, and this boards traffic and posts would reduce massively, I've never read those other boards I forgot they even existed, is wolfpack on there he always posted about gambling?

I take it we mean all non-football related posts, like black lives matter, Covid, Brexit, Drakeford etc.
Bluebina

Postby ealing_ayatollah » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:59 am

pembroke allan wrote: or simply delete topic? :D

***In David Brent's voice ***

Oooh, a bit fascist that, ain't it? Deleting posts? Hmm, pretty sure Hitler would have done that. If he'd had internet. Well, internet, a message board and mod privileges... ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist. I know I should, I really do, but I just have a terrible, terrible sense of humour that takes control of my fingers sometimes. :laughing6:

ealing_ayatollah

Postby ealing_ayatollah » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:00 pm

paulh_85 wrote:the political threads are the ones that get the most posts. (thread about Newport not kneeling has more than anything cardiff related recently)

:laughing5:
ealing_ayatollah

Postby pembroke allan » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:17 pm

ealing_ayatollah wrote:

Oooh, a bit fascist that, ain't it? Deleting posts? Hmm, pretty sure Hitler would have done that. If he'd had internet. Well, internet, a message board and mod privileges... ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist. I know I should, I really do, but I just have a terrible, terrible sense of humour that takes control of my fingers sometimes. :laughing6:

Thats ok it was all gobblygook anyway! :laughing5:
pembroke allan

Postby ealing_ayatollah » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:22 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
ealing_ayatollah wrote:

Thats ok it was all gobblygook anyway! :laughing5:

Moat of what goes through my brain is I'm afraid :thumbup: :laughing6:
ealing_ayatollah

Postby moonboots » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:35 pm

Sven wrote:

Could the mods not move political topics created in the football forum to the politics section?
moonboots

Postby powysblue » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:44 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:I have been a member of this forum since day one. The forum has it's faults but by in large it is run excellently. I would prefer not to try and fix something that is not broke.

Leave everything as it is, (please) :thumbup:

Agree with this.

Having looked at other championship forums online, OUR Cardiff city forum (or Annis's) is FAR superior for ease of Navigation and layout - Most users go straight to the "general chat" section and as we have discussed previously - all views are welcomed, football, political or general interest or asking for help or advice.

Even more so these days.

I am more than happy with the ease and variety of posts. If a political section was added it would be hidden away in the opening selection and I can see the usual suspects moaning like hell when anything non-football was commented on.

If it ain't broke, Don't fix it :old:

:bluescarf: :bluebird: :thumbup:
powysblue

Postby Nuclearblue » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:35 pm

The suppression of free speech needs to stop. For some if they don’t agree it’s hit the delete button. But this board has always been about all things. But even the topics on politics has an impact on Cardiff City FC.
So no having a different section won’t work. It’s one of those cases if you don’t like a thread move in to the next. No one is forcing anyone to read certain threads.
Nuclearblue

Postby Sven » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:46 pm

paulh_85 wrote:the political threads are the ones that get the most posts. (thread about Newport not kneeling has more than anything cardiff related recently)

You may be right...! :thumbup: :lol: :lol:
Sven

Postby thomasblue » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:34 pm

Can they not just turn the titles of football Posts blue and everything else red so it is easier to just flick past them if you don't want to read it?
thomasblue

Postby skidemin » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:53 am

thomasblue wrote:Can they not just turn the titles of football Posts blue and everything else red so it is easier to just flick past them if you don't want to read it?

its not a bad idea... Adam Brown could have his own colour..Brown even... because the title is football but there is never a post when you have a look...
although most of those that have complained also post far more on non football threads than they post on the football threads... strange...
skidemin

Return to General Chat