Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

So the UK is on its Arse

Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:53 pm

So the UK is on its arse in a lockdown Wales one day, Scotland next , now England, but the government has just announced that seasonal workers from abroad can come and work on the turkey farms pre Christmas and can work through the 14 day quarantine they should serve and they can only live with their co-workers...... apparently Grant Schapps our transport minister says Christmas dinner is the highlight of the year for many families and they don’t want Christmas ruined . Our government really don’t have a f*cking clue .

Re: So the UK is on its Arse

Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:40 pm

[quote="Forever Blue"]So the UK is on its arse in a lockdown Wales one day, Scotland next , now England, but the government has just announced that seasonal workers from abroad can come and work on the turkey farms pre Christmas and can work through the 14 day quarantine they should serve and they can only live with their co-workers...... apparently Grant Schapps our transport minister says Christmas dinner is the highlight of the year for many families and they don’t want Christmas ruined . Our government really don’t have a f*cking clue!

Annis,as you know,a few of us have said from day one,the government are clueless jerks!all them flights,events at the beginning of lockdowns,allowing untold flights from badly affected countries,the marches/protests,no wonder its spread so far and wide here!
And most people I know, have their turkey in the freezer already,in case/when government decides return to lockdown.another reason town centre has been so busy,people getting Christmas shopping early,just in case!! Which could cause buyers hassle if an item needs to be returned,as the statuary 28 day returns policy would have expired!surely they should advertise these jobs to people here? Im sure some could do with the extra income,as christmas isnt the same this year! (Not the religious side of course,as that remains the same)

Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:48 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:So the UK is on its arse in a lockdown Wales one day, Scotland next , now England, but the government has just announced that seasonal workers from abroad can come and work on the turkey farms pre Christmas and can work through the 14 day quarantine they should serve and they can only live with their co-workers...... apparently Grant Schapps our transport minister says Christmas dinner is the highlight of the year for many families and they don’t want Christmas ruined . Our government really don’t have a f*cking clue!

Annis,as you know,a few of us have said from day one,the government are clueless jerks!all them flights,events at the beginning of lockdowns,allowing untold flights from badly affected countries,the marches/protests,no wonder its spread so far and wide here!
And most people I know, have their turkey in the freezer already,in case/when government decides return to lockdown.another reason town centre has been so busy,people getting Christmas shopping early,just in case!! Which could cause buyers hassle if an item needs to be returned,as the statuary 28 day returns policy would have expired!surely they should advertise these jobs to people here? Im sure some could do with the extra income,as christmas isnt the same this year! (Not the religious side of course,as that remains the same)

its spread far and wide in many countries...who also did all the above..
and just as with the summer farmers and the government have been begging people to go pick fruit/work on farms with a very poor uptake...

Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:53 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:So the UK is on its arse in a lockdown Wales one day, Scotland next , now England, but the government has just announced that seasonal workers from abroad can come and work on the turkey farms pre Christmas and can work through the 14 day quarantine they should serve and they can only live with their co-workers...... apparently Grant Schapps our transport minister says Christmas dinner is the highlight of the year for many families and they don’t want Christmas ruined . Our government really don’t have a f*cking clue!

Totally with you on this and agree it’s scandalous.

Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:07 pm

skidemin wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

and just as with the summer farmers and the government have been begging people to go pick fruit/work on farms with a very poor uptake...

This is interesting because you see people saying the farmers and government are begging people but I didnt see any adverts?

The government should be making people on the dole fill these roles i between looking for work in return for the benefits

Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:42 pm

thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

This is interesting because you see people saying the farmers and government are begging people but I didnt see any adverts?

The government should be making people on the dole fill these roles i between looking for work in return for the benefits

well they were there and even discussed on here.. the up take was poor..

Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:03 pm

Apparently loads of Brits did apply.turned away as they were told you live on site pay rent out of your wages.

Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:12 pm

How many people do you know would stay on a farm killing and feathering turkeys for two weeks ,I guarantee you not many ,like it or not that's why they bring in foreign labour,I know people who have done no food shopping for Christmas at all yet ,

Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:19 pm

ion wrote:How many people do you know would stay on a farm killing and feathering turkeys for two weeks ,I guarantee you not many ,like it or not that's why they bring in foreign labour,I know people who have done no food shopping for Christmas at all yet ,

its not just here either , all western European countries are reliant on seasonal eastern European farm labour.. and all countries continued to use it during the spring and summer... and no i wouldnt fancy a caravan holiday with 3 strangers spent killing turkeys in Norfolk.. or have i bought anything for christmas...

Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:52 am

Shows how shockingly dependant we are still on cheap overseas labour.

Maybe the students that won't be attending any lectures can earn a few pounds and make a contribution instead of moaning about A level results and everything else since.

Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:57 am

Forever Blue wrote:So the UK is on its arse in a lockdown Wales one day, Scotland next , now England, but the government has just announced that seasonal workers from abroad can come and work on the turkey farms pre Christmas and can work through the 14 day quarantine they should serve and they can only live with their co-workers...... apparently Grant Schapps our transport minister says Christmas dinner is the highlight of the year for many families and they don’t want Christmas ruined . Our government really don’t have a f*cking clue .

Where are the pluckers coming from Turkey? :laughing6:

Stick them all in a holding barracks somewhere and ship the turkey's to them, then make sure they all go home at the end! :thumbup:

Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:33 pm

skidemin wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

Perhaps you should also include,the stories around brits applying for these jobs,as i know for a fact,my sister tried to apply 6 times!! Only to find the site crashing time after time!! And when she did get through,all positions were filled,she was told.They want you to stay in a caravan,with foreigner's who do not have to be tested/checked on arrival,can see why take up is so slow,plus part of your wage goes back to farmer!!

Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:09 am

Also this Gov - Love giving tax payers money away for PPE :(

Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:09 am

I like Xmas as much as the next person. But am I worried about Xmas dinner family get togethers etc , not really . If it means everything back to normal (as close too) by next Xmas , I'll sacrifice this one , as we have all had a wasted year , due to governments failings .

Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:26 pm

skidemin wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

Your last statement is totally wrong,there is an article on al jazeera site,explaining what was happening!! Normal applicants numbered around 2,000,and the website crashed(several times!) Due to 160,000 people applying!! Then there were people who applied for nearly every post,got no replies,were told no experience needed,then told by farmers experience WAS needed!!! Plus being asked if you spoke Hungarian or Romanian??? To say the take up was piss poor is simply put,not at all true.have a read,its dated the 19th of this month,and gives the true picture.