Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Bubonic Plague/Covid

Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:59 pm

Interesting watch on the Bubonic Plague last night and the similarities with Covid of who gets infected. A common misconception is that the Plague was spread by rats and their fleas, however recent evidence suggests body lice was the cause. The deprived areas were worst effected similar to Covid due to poor living conditions and large amounts of people living in tight spaces. This seems to be case with Covid from the valley's in South Wales to Northern towns in England.
Do the Government understand this when they are making the rules? Have they experienced living in poverty? Have no lessons been learned from History?
As we encroach further into natural habits with an increasing population to support, undoubtedly we will encounter further unknown diseases leading to further pandemics.

Re: Bubonic Plague/Covid

Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:24 pm

I was reading the WHO pandemic preparedness document, just as this all started kicking off in the UK - around March. Even then, they knew lockdowns serve no benefit after the initial 2 weeks, as the virus is already within the population after this point. They found extended lockdowns have detrimental effects on the economy, as well as other areas of health, which turned out to be true.

Similarly I was reading about the plague and the Spanish flu, which also found lockdowns to exacberate the issue. The reason being; viruses thrive indoors. People were locked in their homes which would result in the entire households becoming infected, leading to mass deaths.

Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:39 pm

JasonFowler1991 wrote:I was reading the WHO pandemic preparedness document, just as this all started kicking off in the UK - around March. Even then, they knew lockdowns serve no benefit after the initial 2 weeks, as the virus is already within the population after this point. They found extended lockdowns have detrimental effects on the economy, as well as other areas of health, which turned out to be true.

Similarly I was reading about the plague and the Spanish flu, which also found lockdowns to exacberate the issue. The reason being; viruses thrive indoors. People were locked in their homes which would result in the entire households becoming infected, leading to mass deaths.

I fully agree lockdowns serve no benefit. The virus is already in the population and has been for some considerable time. The reason we have lockdowns is more to do with the lack of care capacity in the NHS than anything else.

Even those Nightingale Hospitals were a complete hoax. Yes they were built and fitted out with top rate equipment. Trouble is there wasn't anymore trained Nurses and Doctors to staff them with.

Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:49 pm

JasonFowler1991 wrote:I was reading the WHO pandemic preparedness document, just as this all started kicking off in the UK - around March. Even then, they knew lockdowns serve no benefit after the initial 2 weeks, as the virus is already within the population after this point. They found extended lockdowns have detrimental effects on the economy, as well as other areas of health, which turned out to be true.

i read the same WHO document and also listened to many of our experts say exactly the same things .. then they go and lockdown..

Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:09 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:

I fully agree lockdowns serve no benefit. The virus is already in the population and has been for some considerable time. The reason we have lockdowns is more to do with the lack of care capacity in the NHS than anything else.

Even those Nightingale Hospitals were a complete hoax. Yes they were built and fitted out with top rate equipment. Trouble is there wasn't anymore trained Nurses and Doctors to staff them with.

Yep we were ill-prepared, I agree the lockdowns are only there to help the NHS cope, I don't think Borris would have locked down if we had double or triple the capacity.

Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:02 pm

Lockdowns, and the various versions of, are totally geared to the NHS ability to cope. It was like that in April and the same now. It's how it is and should come as no surprise.

There is as much proportional covid in London as most of Wales but London has capacity that Wales doesn't.

Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:54 am

The mistake they made with the nightingale hospitals was not buying permanent buildings. They should have used empty office blocks or warehouses that could be kept as a permanent NHS facility afterwards either as a outpatient unit or training facility

Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:52 am

thomasblue wrote:The mistake they made with the nightingale hospitals was not buying permanent buildings. They should have used empty office blocks or warehouses that could be kept as a permanent NHS facility afterwards either as a outpatient unit or training facility

That is a great idea and I support such a move. However, no matter how much bricks and mortar it has the NHS still has to be staffed.

There is a chronic shortage of Doctors and Nurses and to compound the problem those we have are also prone to catching the decease and/or other illnesses due to the nature of their work and a large percentage can be off sick at any one time.

Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:20 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
thomasblue wrote:The mistake they made with the nightingale hospitals was not buying permanent buildings. They should have used empty office blocks or warehouses that could be kept as a permanent NHS facility afterwards either as a outpatient unit or training facility

That is a great idea and I support such a move. However, no matter how much bricks and mortar it has the NHS still has to be staffed.

There is a chronic shortage of Doctors and Nurses and to compound the problem those we have are also prone to catching the decease and/or other illnesses due to the nature of their work and a large percentage can be off sick at any one time.

Spot on. Buildings/ facilities only scratches the surface of the overall resources and infrastructure required.

Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:08 am

Just one question, how many more people would have died if there had been no lock downs?

Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:02 am

Igovernor wrote:Just one question, how many more people would have died if there had been no lock downs?

If believe drakeford 1700 from now until xmas if didn't close pubs ect.... thus us what he's basing his actions on.. :o

Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:05 am

Igovernor wrote:Just one question, how many more people would have died if there had been no lock downs?

how long is a piece of string.... those that imposed the lockdowns will and forever claim it would have been 10s of thousands more....and will point to computer models which predicted more..
but the early announcements/ advice from governments was it was far deadlier in doors ?
huge public and media pressure followed to do something....and locking down was doing something....especially as some countries already had...WHO said no.
as we now know our death rate followed theirs....330 total deaths when lock down was imposed ...2 weeks later total deaths are 7k...another 2 weeks its 21k...2 months after lock down its 35k....
did it save thousands of lives or did they just lock people in who then killed the weakest in the household , most cases and deaths were same household and the majority of deaths have occurred during lockdowns / firebreaks etc ... . but its going to be years before the real truth of this comes out...years of investigations and analysis , not that it matters because based on this scientific evidence and advice comes second to media nuts and panic...

Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:17 am

pembroke allan wrote:

If believe drakeford 1700 from now until xmas if didn't close pubs ect.... thus us what he's basing his actions on.. :o

its zero sum all the time..... as is everything they do....
if numbers are less or go down...it worked
if figures go up....it worked as it would have been worse..