Time for a change at centre half?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby davids » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:36 pm

I think it's time to give the boy from Leicester a bit of a run in the team to see if we can stop conceding soft goals like today.

Nelson hardly got off the ground against Matt Smith but having said that for some reason Morrison was yet again not marking their most threatening attacker.

It was the same against Fulham in the league game at the end of last season when he left Mitrovic to Nelson and of course against Sanderson for the penalty which Mitrovic lured Sanderson into giving away.

Morrison as senior player and captain should always be marking the most threatening tall forward on the opposition team and leaving any smaller, nippier player to be covered by Nelson but even after Smith scored he was still being marked by Nelson.

Time for Benkovic to be given a chance and to be honest I don't think either Morrison or Nelson could have many complaints if they were the one dropped.
davids

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Time for a change at centre half?

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:48 pm

davids wrote:I think it's time to give the boy from Leicester a bit of a run in the team to see if we can stop conceding soft goals like today.

Nelson hardly got off the ground against Matt Smith but having said that for some reason Morrison was yet again not marking their most threatening attacker.

It was the same against Fulham in the league game at the end of last season when he left Mitrovic to Nelson and of course against Sanderson for the penalty which Mitrovic lured Sanderson into giving away.

Morrison as senior player and captain should always be marking the most threatening tall forward on the opposition team and leaving any smaller, nippier player to be covered by Nelson but even after Smith scored he was still being marked by Nelson.

Time for Benkovic to be given a chance and to be honest I don't think either Morrison or Nelson could have many complaints if they were the one dropped.

It happens frequently that Morrison leaves attacker with yrds of space have said numerous times we concede because he lets attackers room to get ball before him! last game was typical goal conceded through this.... it is time for change as he doesn't offer anything going forward either.
pembroke allan

Postby Big Hill Blue » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:12 pm

Benkovic not playing why?
Big Hill Blue

Postby davids » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:16 pm

Big Hill Blue wrote:Benkovic not playing why?

I think he's been injured and that's why he's not been part of the matchday squad recently but he was on the bench today I think?

In fairness to Harris he's also been loyal to both Morrison and Nelson who did very well for him particularly at the end of last season after lockdown but I think the time is rapidly approaching where perhaps a change is needed.
davids

Postby thomasblue » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:40 pm

Been saying it since half way through last season.

Nelson is not good enough, his reading of the game is shocking and he gets dragged out of position by clever strikers leaving his defensive partners wide open.

Hes league 1 standard defender at best
thomasblue

Postby billy ronson » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:46 pm

If playing 4-2-3-1 ...how about this ?

Nelson Morrison Benkovic Bennett
Ralls Bacuna
Murphy Wilson Ojo
Moore
I'm free to be
Whatever I, whatever I choose
And I'll sing the blues if I want
billy ronson

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:48 pm

thomasblue wrote:Been saying it since half way through last season.

Nelson is not good enough, his reading of the game is shocking and he gets dragged out of position by clever strikers leaving his defensive partners wide open.

Could it be because of Morrisons inability to cover forwards that leads him to be out position? Maybe get rid
Of either one and the problems go away?
pembroke allan

Postby thomasblue » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:55 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

Could it be because of Morrisons inability to cover forwards that leads him to be out position? Maybe get rid

Well Harris has to work out what the issue at the back is. Everyone said Morrison and Flint can't play together and they got binned. Now we can see Morrison and Nelson can't play together either but he's continuing with it when we have a tried and tested pairing with Bamba and £15mill centre back in the stands

First time since Morrison has been here that he's struggling to form a partnership at the back.

Nelson to me is a massive weak link and is making Morrisons job impossible. The way he got out jumped today was laughable
thomasblue

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:19 pm

thomasblue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Well Harris has to work out what the issue at the back is. Everyone said Morrison and Flint can't play together and they got binned. Now we can see Morrison and Nelson can't play together either but he's continuing with it when we have a tried and tested pairing with Bamba and £15mill centre back in the stands

First time since Morrison has been here that he's struggling to form a partnership at the back.

Nelson to me is a massive weak link and is making Morrisons job impossible. The way he got out jumped today was laughable

As you know I dont have high opinion of Morrison as he does leave attackers all alone to score and as done numerous times .... what is certain Harris as not addressed the situation at back even though he knows it's a problem! Personally I just think he's got no plan B in his makeup as we start every game same way whether we got two strikers or not on pitch and it doesnt work! but he does see it time & time again bit like the defence situation. :old:
pembroke allan

Postby bluesince62 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:39 am

davids wrote:

I think he's been injured and that's why he's not been part of the matchday squad recently but he was on the bench today I think?

In fairness to Harris he's also been loyal to both Morrison and Nelson who did very well for him particularly at the end of last season after lockdown but I think the time is rapidly approaching where perhaps a change is needed.

Benkovic hasn't been injured,he didn't play any football before arriving, and has taken a few weeks to get up to speed,Harris stated this two weeks ago,saying last week,he was fit and available if named in squad.today he made the bench,and a lot would say he should have replaced Morrison, or Nelson today,but for me,although for me them two,failed in their marking/jumping, but Smithies for me cost us,by coming,and getting nowhere near the ball,leaving an empty net. :old: :bluebird:
bluesince62

Postby billy ronson » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:50 am

Not sure why Smithies came for the cross ?? Poor decision, got nowhere near it and stranded else it would have been an easy save if he stays on his line ....

A pity as he has looked good this season .
I'm free to be
Whatever I, whatever I choose
And I'll sing the blues if I want
billy ronson

Postby Ponty Bluebird » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:22 am

billy ronson wrote:If playing 4-2-3-1 ...how about this ?

Nelson Morrison Benkovic Bennett
Ralls Bacuna
Murphy Wilson Ojo
Moore

This is what I would go with
Ponty Bluebird

Postby Ponty Bluebird » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:29 am

pembroke allan wrote:

This is what I would say, Morrison leaves his man too often and makes Nelson look like a dick, to say that Nelson is league one at best is a joke :lol: I’d put him at right back and get Benkovic at centre back and put Bacuna in midfield. Get Murphy in the team and give him a good run of games and I honestly think he will come good. We have nothing to lose.
Ponty Bluebird

Postby Ponty Bluebird » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:31 am

bluesince62 wrote:
davids wrote:

Benkovic hasn't been injured,he didn't play any football before arriving, and has taken a few weeks to get up to speed,Harris stated this two weeks ago,saying last week,he was fit and available if named in squad.today he made the bench,and a lot would say he should have replaced Morrison, or Nelson today,but for me,although for me them two,failed in their marking/jumping, but Smithies for me cost us,by coming,and getting nowhere near the ball,leaving an empty net. :old: :bluebird:

Smithies was definitely at fault today for that goal, what was he thinking coming for a ball like that?
Ponty Bluebird

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:49 am

:mrgreen:
Ponty Bluebird wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
davids wrote:

Smithies was definitely at fault today for that goal, what was he thinking coming for a ball like that?

Surprisingly this happens frequently now with goalies being in no mans land ! He went for ball with no conviction or effort which is not him normally, but its systematic of the goals we've given away this season totally unessasry and avoidable.
pembroke allan

Postby WestCoastBlue » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:00 am

If I’m not mistaken Benkovic was injured when we signed him. From what I’ve heard of him I got the impression he was less of a back up player and more of a competitor for a place in the first team, now he seems to be fit again (fit enough to be a substitute at least) I’m hoping he starts on Wednesday.
WestCoastBlue

Postby thomasblue » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:15 pm

Ponty Bluebird wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

This is what I would say, Morrison leaves his man too often and makes Nelson look like a dick, to say that Nelson is league one at best is a joke :lol: I’d put him at right back and get Benkovic at centre back and put Bacuna in midfield. Get Murphy in the team and give him a good run of games and I honestly think he will come good. We have nothing to lose.

If you look back over the last half a season, Over half of the goals have been down to liss poor defending. Nelsons reading of the game has played a huge part in that and I fully expect him to be dropped withing the next two games.

He is 29 years old and always been in the lower leagues until this move. He IS a league one standard defender no matter how much you want him to be better and that is exactly why he has never really made it at this level
thomasblue

Postby Escott1927 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:41 pm

The defence has needed changing all season. Same mistakes made every game and nothing is being done about it. Leicester paid 15mill for benkovic. Surely he's got something about him to go for that price!? Bristol City fans were full of praise for him last season as well so can obviously do a job in the championship. He's meant to be decent with the ball at his feet yet we stick with 2 CBs who arnt comfortable passing it around.....and try to pass it around.
Escott1927

Postby Big Hill Blue » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:49 pm

Harris needs to manage. He says he stays loyal YET he must now wise up and pick the best available
Big Hill Blue

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:13 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
davids wrote:

I agree 62er. I want Benkovic in but tbf to Nelson it was Smithes that came out to collect and Smith was on Nelsons shoulders so even if he wanted to, he was unable to move.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby Sam ReaN » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:16 pm

I say go completely different and play 3 center backs with Bamba Morrison and Nelson at the back. Whats the worst that could happen against Coventry.
Also On The Sam ReaN YouTube Channel
Cardiff City Highlights On Bits From The Action
The ReaN Show Series 1-6
CardiffFanTV / On Facebook & YouTube
Vlogging Adventures
Video Games
SUBSCRIBE IN 2024
Sam ReaN

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:19 pm

Sam ReaN wrote:I say go completely different and play 3 center backs with Bamba Morrison and Nelson at the back. Whats the worst that could happen against Coventry.

Bamba was awful v Northampton in cup and looks completely off the pace in his cameo appearances this season.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby bluesince62 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:58 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Sam ReaN wrote:I say go completely different and play 3 center backs with Bamba Morrison and Nelson at the back. Whats the worst that could happen against Coventry.

Bamba was awful v Northampton in cup and looks completely off the pace in his cameo appearances this season.

Have to agree 62r,love Bamba to bits,but he is only here now as an emergency player imo,and definitely play benkovic, he is a decent player,and if fit,I see no reason for him not to be given his chance,he is a £15m player after all. :old: :bluebird:
bluesince62

Postby nickjonesrox2 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:07 pm

Agree with this. Give Benko a run of games alongside Moz to intensify the competition for places and hopefully cut out mistakes.

Something has to change.

I'd even look to start Nelson at RB instead of Bacuna as that's not working neither.
nickjonesrox2

Return to General Chat