Murphy number 10

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Murphy number 10

Postby maccydee » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:58 pm

Gotta be worth a go moving forwards?

We created quite a bit last 15 with him on.
maccydee

Murphy number 10

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Murphy number 10

Postby Big Hill Blue » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:02 pm

maccydee wrote:Gotta be worth a go moving forwards?

We created quite a bit last 15 with him on.

Yep
Big Hill Blue

Postby davids » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:48 pm

Much too inconsistent.

The enigma that is Josh Murphy was seen today.

His first cross when under no pressure was overhit straight out of play behind the goal.

His pass for the goal was sublime. In that moment you could see a glimpse of what could be an £11m player.

But he needs to do so much more and much more regularly to justify starting a game when you consider that even the desperately disappointing Junior Hoilett is regularly picked ahead of him. :o
davids

Postby maccydee » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:01 pm

davids wrote:Much too inconsistent.

His first cross when under no pressure was overhit straight out of play behind the goal.

His pass for the goal was sublime. In that moment you could see a glimpse of what could be an £11m player.

But he needs to do so much more and much more regularly to justify starting a game when you consider that even the desperately disappointing Junior Hoilett is regularly picked ahead of him. :o

And then almost set up Wilson too.

That’s my point. He needs to be backed.
maccydee

Postby Big Hill Blue » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:10 pm

£11m player. He needs to play every minute. Harris too defensive, too cautious.

We need to play from minute 1 to 90 on the front foot.
Big Hill Blue

Postby davids » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:12 pm

maccydee wrote:

Yes it was a lovely ball in to Wilson but again that only highlights the frustration he causes.

I don't think anybody can argue that he hasn't had numerous opportunities during his time at the club and has just never done enough to make himself a regular starter unfortunately. Good performances are inevitably followed by ones where he looks like he just can't be arsed.
davids

Postby nubbsy » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:33 pm

No. Too inconsistent, not good enough over 90 mins, not hard-working enough and just not good enough. A few moments of class do not make up for his showing at this club.
nubbsy

Postby Big Hill Blue » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:44 pm

Nathan Blake.
Big Hill Blue

Postby llan bluebird » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:26 pm

Waiting for the standard "doesn't get stuck in" bollox.

He is a forward, he is not even a midfielder and Harris is about as defensive and keep it tight and nick one as you can get.

In all honesty I think Wilson is a better 10, but dopey bollocks plays Glatzel there instead so we had to push our best player wide.

Josh should be playing every game as the idea is to score more goals than the opposition, but he is a shit full back so he won't get a game. Wilson doesn't half work hard, Harris will have him as a right back next week.
llan bluebird

Postby piledriver64 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:42 pm

maccydee wrote:

The trouble is that he has been backed Time and time again and performed in the odd game.

Not many of us doubt his ability. The majority of doubt his ability to perform in more than two games in a row.

We simply cannot rely/depend on him.
piledriver64

Postby Llantwit Blue » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:52 pm

Murphy hasn’t got the heart the fight in him. First ball today cross straight into the stand he played a fantastic ball into Moore for the goal but one pass doesn’t justify his place in the team wages he has to be more consistent and 2 years in I am still waiting on a return for our 11 million.
Llantwit Blue

Postby skidemin » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:16 am

Llantwit Blue wrote:Murphy hasn’t got the heart the fight in him. First ball today cross straight into the stand he played a fantastic ball into Moore for the goal but one pass doesn’t justify his place in the team wages he has to be more consistent and 2 years in I am still waiting on a return for our 11 million.

but it does mate... 1 pass in 15 minutes that produces our only goal does justify...moments change games and he can always produce a few...
skidemin

Postby maccydee » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:07 am

skidemin wrote:
Llantwit Blue wrote:Murphy hasn’t got the heart the fight in him. First ball today cross straight into the stand he played a fantastic ball into Moore for the goal but one pass doesn’t justify his place in the team wages he has to be more consistent and 2 years in I am still waiting on a return for our 11 million.

but it does mate... 1 pass in 15 minutes that produces our only goal does justify...moments change games and he can always produce a few...

Agree with this.

And a class ball for Wilson. Lucky save by the keeper.

Him, Wilson, Ojo and Moore could do some damage.
maccydee

Postby Ponty Bluebird » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:12 am

Not being funny mate but how the hell can he perform consistently when he’s not being played consistently. It’s easy to bash him at every opportunity, how about trying to support him, ever thought that might work? I believe he would be great at the number 10 role with a good run of games, no harm in trying, what have we got to lose?
Ponty Bluebird

Postby Ponty Bluebird » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:13 am

maccydee wrote:

Spot on maccy :thumbup:
Ponty Bluebird

Postby Ponty Bluebird » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:13 am

Big Hill Blue wrote:£11m player. He needs to play every minute. Harris too defensive, too cautious.

We need to play from minute 1 to 90 on the front foot.

Spot on also
Ponty Bluebird

Postby Ponty Bluebird » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:16 am

skidemin wrote:

Exactly
Ponty Bluebird

Postby skidemin » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:59 pm

Ponty Bluebird wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Exactly

people seem to concentrate on his negatives... eg his first cross today ... and how many attempts did it take Bennett { who looks like winning the MOM vote } take before he produced a half decent cross...im not knocking Joe here because i thought he had a good game overall. .but Josh went on to produce some very decent balls in a very limited amount of time...gets the assist but its the first cross that sticks out ???
skidemin

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:12 pm

piledriver64 wrote:
maccydee wrote:

The trouble is that he has been backed Time and time again and performed in the odd game.

Not many of us doubt his ability. The majority of doubt his ability to perform in more than two games in a row.

We simply cannot rely/depend on him.

Good post. I do agree but I’d start him Wednesday based on his sub performance on Saturday.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby maccydee » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:14 pm

When he plays he scores goals and produces assists.

Tomlin does the same without much else really and Tomlin isn’t fit.

Give him a consistent go. I’d tell him that he has 10 games to impress.
maccydee

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:24 pm

maccydee wrote:When he plays he scores goals and produces assists.

Mac I usually agree with all your posts but this is a first!!
I don’t think any player should be told ‘you have 10 games’ but based on Saturday I’d start him at 10 on Saturday with Hoillett and Wilson on wings. They can have the licence to switch around too.
Do you think Benkovic should start mate?
bluebirdoct1962

Postby maccydee » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:55 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

I don’t think any player should be told ‘you have 10 games’ but based on Saturday I’d start him at 10 on Saturday with Hoillett and Wilson on wings. They can have the licence to switch around too.

It’s more for confidence with Murphy. I think it would bring the best out in both of them. That’s both sides of Murphy.

Yeah I would play Benkovic and Nelson at right back. This would free Bacuna to play centre mid again and put a bit of oomph into centre mid. I’m not sure what Vaulks has done wrong either.
maccydee

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:13 pm

maccydee wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

It’s more for confidence with Murphy. I think it would bring the best out in both of them. That’s both sides of Murphy.

Yeah I would play Benkovic and Nelson at right back. This would free Bacuna to play centre mid again and put a bit of oomph into centre mid. I’m not sure what Vaulks has done wrong either.

That’s my thinking too. I’d put Bacuna in for Pack but keep Ralls there for the moment. I think NH sees Vaulks / Ralls as players vying for one position and I tend to agree with him tbh.
Unfortunately I think we’ll see a very similar team start on Wednesday that started yesterday.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby moonboots » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:37 pm

maccydee wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Agree with this.

And a class ball for Wilson. Lucky save by the keeper.

Him, Wilson, Ojo and Moore could do some damage.

I agree mate. We've got some really good attacking players who offer different threats. I just dont like Moore/Glatzel as a front two. It rarely works. Wish we still had NML!!
moonboots

Postby nubbsy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:19 pm

skidemin wrote:

Nah I'm sorry he's had plenty of game time over the past 3 years and the main reason he hasn't played much is because he hasn't taken the chances. Terrible signing.
nubbsy

Postby thomasblue » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:17 pm

Plenty of players started on the wing and didnt really do a lot before being moved into a central role and shining.

He has a good scoring record aswell so is definitely worth a shot and would give us a lot of pace going forward
thomasblue

Postby skidemin » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:59 pm

nubbsy wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Nah I'm sorry he's had plenty of game time over the past 3 years and the main reason he hasn't played much is because he hasn't taken the chances. Terrible signing.

only 8 players played more in the prem and he was a regular when we had a manager last season...
skidemin

Postby Escott1927 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:50 pm

Harris's cautious and defensive approach clearly isn't working. We are more effective when we actually go at teams - usually after conceding. Murphy had a great assist and almost set up wilson as well yesterday. He was our 2nd top scorer last season and had more goals and assist than hoilet and NML.

Id prefer to go at a team from the start and then make changes to defend a lead, rather than hope to knick a 1-0 win. Murphy and ojo on the wings and wilson in the middle.
Escott1927

Return to General Chat