Crypto currency

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Crypto currency

Postby Pembroke bluebird » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:23 pm

I’m having a dabble putting £500 into ethereum anyone else investing and can pass on any advice and tips would be nice to hear
What I have learned very quickly is how volatile it is rising and falling very quickly
Pembroke bluebird

Crypto currency

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Crypto currency

Postby ion » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:11 pm

I looked in to it once,and your right it can be volatile investment ,the Chinese are big into it the last time I looked,if you watch Bloomberg regular you get a flavour of when the subject comes up they are very cautious,I wouldn't invest in it to risky and because it's computer money you got to watch out for hackers stealing it ,if you want safe long term investment wait for gold price to drop and buy that you will never lose all your money only my opinion.
ion

Postby Pembroke bluebird » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:19 pm

ion wrote:I looked in to it once,and your right it can be volatile investment ,the Chinese are big into it the last time I looked,if you watch Bloomberg regular you get a flavour of when the subject comes up they are very cautious,I wouldn't invest in it to risky and because it's computer money you got to watch out for hackers stealing it ,if you want safe long term investment wait for gold price to drop and buy that you will never lose all your money only my opinion.

Cheers mate view appreciated
Pembroke bluebird

Postby Bluebina » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:27 pm

Pembroke bluebird wrote:I’m having a dabble putting £500 into ethereum anyone else investing and can pass on any advice and tips would be nice to hear
What I have learned very quickly is how volatile it is rising and falling very quickly

Very volatile, almost like a pyramid sales system, some make money from the many that lose theirs, probably better putting it on City going up, it’s possible but highly unlikely that you’ll make any money from either.

Good luck though, I hope you do let us know how you get on :thumbup:
Bluebina

Postby Pembroke bluebird » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:36 pm

ion wrote:I looked in to it once,and your right it can be volatile investment ,the Chinese are big into it the last time I looked,if you watch Bloomberg regular you get a flavour of when the subject comes up they are very cautious,I wouldn't invest in it to risky and because it's computer money you got to watch out for hackers stealing it ,if you want safe long term investment wait for gold price to drop and buy that you will never lose all your money only my opinion.

Cheers mate view appreciated
Pembroke bluebird

Postby Pembroke bluebird » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:37 pm

Bluebina wrote:
Pembroke bluebird wrote:I’m having a dabble putting £500 into ethereum anyone else investing and can pass on any advice and tips would be nice to hear

Very volatile, almost like a pyramid sales system, some make money from the many that lose theirs, probably better putting it on City going up, it’s possible but highly unlikely that you’ll make any money from either.

Good luck though, I hope you do let us know how you get on :thumbup:

Will do mate cheers :thumbright:
Pembroke bluebird

Postby Einstein » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:12 pm

Been trading crypto and stocks for a while now made a lot of money in the last crypto bull run a few years ago.

My tips for you:

1) Be careful there are some dodgy dealers out there, use a "reputable" exchange, if you're holding it in a wallet make sure you have those keys.

2) Trade with the trend, if you are only trading long (up) then make sure the underlying trend is going up.

3) Use a stop loss on every trade, if it drops you stop out and live to fight another day.

4) Break out trading has been good to me... period of stability followed by falling volume and volatility, market then accelerates in one direction or the other. If it shoots up buy and put a stop loss in.

5) Take profit, if you make money take profit don't ride it up and.... all the way down.

6) Trading is psychological, FOMO is a compelling emotion. Remember even the best traders lose 50% of the time when they lose they lose small because of their strict stop loss regime... they win a lot bigger and take profits. Basically, place their bets all the time and reduce risk on the downside.

7) Have I mentioned it NEVER TRADE WITHOUT A STOP LOSS!

Oh alternatively invest, step back and have a look at it in a year or two.

Finally - NEVER TRADE WITHOUT A STOP LOSS!!!! :old:
Einstein

Postby oohahhPaulMillar » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:05 pm

Personally I just don’t understand it

It sounds completely dodgy with virtual wallets, unlicensed traders and all sorts of other dubious practices

I’m sure some people do make money but they are probably few and far between. I wouldn’t touch them with a barge poll

Share wise even though their stock market is at an all time high I think Japanese shares are very undervalued at present and I am very hopeful they will do very well over next 5 years or so.

Also I think some of the biggest companies in the FTSE are undervalued and worth buying and hanging on to for the long term. Vodafone, BAT, Tesco, HSBC, Aviva and Glaxo are worth buying when they next drop 4-5% in price. They might be a bit “boring” but will probably make you a decent profit in the long term

More riskier shares like gold miner Petropavoksk, brewer Marston, premier inn owner Whitbread and miner Rio Tinto should all do well if and when we finally get COVID under control.All the above shares have done well over the last 2 weeks so again I will need them to drop 4-5% before buying them
oohahhPaulMillar

Postby Bakedalasker » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:24 pm

If you are planning on buying Ethereum and just leaving it there then Expect to lose it very quickly.

As mentioned you could put a stop lose at say £100 but expect to lose that. You need to know when to buy low and sell high.

What you are intending on doing is getting in while the price goes up (Bullish). The Market Makers who basically control the market i.e Bank institutions just love people like you. They will entice you into Buy into a Buy then they will drop the price, because they can, to stop you out.
Bakedalasker

Postby FOOTSOLDIER » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:36 am

I put £250 into Litecoin a few years back. Currently sat at £90.
FOOTSOLDIER

Postby Bluebina » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:09 pm

FOOTSOLDIER wrote:I put £250 into Litecoin a few years back. Currently sat at £90.

That is most peoples experience of bit coin, but the people who went in early made money, the earlier in the more they made, it's too late now.
Bluebina

Postby Bluebina » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:14 pm

Einstein wrote:Been trading crypto and stocks for a while now made a lot of money in the last crypto bull run a few years ago.

My tips for you:

1) Be careful there are some dodgy dealers out there, use a "reputable" exchange, if you're holding it in a wallet make sure you have those keys.

2) Trade with the trend, if you are only trading long (up) then make sure the underlying trend is going up.

3) Use a stop loss on every trade, if it drops you stop out and live to fight another day.

4) Break out trading has been good to me... period of stability followed by falling volume and volatility, market then accelerates in one direction or the other. If it shoots up buy and put a stop loss in.

5) Take profit, if you make money take profit don't ride it up and.... all the way down.

6) Trading is psychological, FOMO is a compelling emotion. Remember even the best traders lose 50% of the time when they lose they lose small because of their strict stop loss regime... they win a lot bigger and take profits. Basically, place their bets all the time and reduce risk on the downside.

7) Have I mentioned it NEVER TRADE WITHOUT A STOP LOSS!

Oh alternatively invest, step back and have a look at it in a year or two.

Finally - NEVER TRADE WITHOUT A STOP LOSS!!!! :old:

Crypto = a massive punt almost everyone will lose from now on.

short term trading = Gambling some will win, most will lose, unless of course you know what you are doing.

Stocks and Shares investing = Risk-based investing, most people will make money over the long term if you don't know what you are doing invest in a range of funds to spread the risk and allow experts (fund Managers) to invest if for you.
Bluebina

Postby JasonFowler1991 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:31 pm

A lot of very uninformed people are speaking up in this forum.

Blockchain technology, as well as crypto currencies are the future. This is why JP Morgan, and many serious investors are starting to move their assets to Bitcoin in the hundreds of millions. Another cryptocurrency called XRP, Ripple, is also already being adopted by most major banks and it is likely they'll use the XRP token in order to process international transactions.

It is true that not all cryptocurrencies are valuable. A lot of them serve no purpose and I'd avoid them. Serious ones to keep an eye on though would be Bitcoin, Etherium, Ripple, Chainlink, Polkadot, Cardano and Vechain - there are more but these are the ones I generally invest in.

The only people losing money on crypto currencies, especially bitcoin, are those who join the market to try and make a quick buck, like in 2017. Those of us who have been in the market for years have been making healthy profits, which would be impossible in any other market.

Someone above said if you invest now in Etherium you will lose money. My answer to that: bullshit ;) Its up over 500% for the year.

P.S I am not a financial adviser but I would seriously encourage everyone to start doing proper research, as this is an opportunity you will not get again to make such easy money.
JasonFowler1991

Postby JasonFowler1991 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:35 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:If you are planning on buying Ethereum and just leaving it there then Expect to lose it very quickly.

As mentioned you could put a stop lose at say £100 but expect to lose that. You need to know when to buy low and sell high.

What you are intending on doing is getting in while the price goes up (Bullish). The Market Makers who basically control the market i.e Bank institutions just love people like you. They will entice you into Buy into a Buy then they will drop the price, because they can, to stop you out.

Reading this, it would be fairly evident why you would lose money. The golden, number 1 rule is to never buy when the price is going up. You always buy the dip. :occasion5:
JasonFowler1991

Postby oohahhPaulMillar » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:35 pm

JasonFowler1991 wrote:A lot of very uninformed people are speaking up in this forum.

Blockchain technology, as well as crypto currencies are the future. This is why JP Morgan, and many serious investors are starting to move their assets to Bitcoin in the hundreds of millions. Another cryptocurrency called XRP, Ripple, is also already being adopted by most major banks and it is likely they'll use the XRP token in order to process international transactions.

It is true that not all cryptocurrencies are valuable. A lot of them serve no purpose and I'd avoid them. Serious ones to keep an eye on though would be Bitcoin, Etherium, Ripple, Chainlink, Polkadot, Cardano and Vechain - there are more but these are the ones I generally invest in.

The only people losing money on crypto currencies, especially bitcoin, are those who join the market to try and make a quick buck, like in 2017. Those of us who have been in the market for years have been making healthy profits, which would be impossible in any other market.

Someone above said if you invest now in Etherium you will lose money. My answer to that: bullshit ;) Its up over 500% for the year.

P.S I am not a financial adviser but I would seriously encourage everyone to start doing proper research, as this is an opportunity you will not get again to make such easy money.

With due respect I have been hearing and reading opinions like yours for many years and crypto currency’s are still a murky and and extremely risky way to invest. It’s a very volatile and an extremely risky investment

Whilst I don’t doubt you personally have made money, I’m not sure you should be encouraging anyone to invest and from speaking to friends who know a lot more about it than me. It would appear it is a far from easy way to make money
oohahhPaulMillar

Postby JasonFowler1991 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:38 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
JasonFowler1991 wrote:A lot of very uninformed people are speaking up in this forum.

With due respect I have been hearing and reading opinions like yours for many years and crypto currency’s are still a murky and and extremely risky way to invest. It’s a very volatile and an extremely risky investment

Whilst I don’t doubt you personally have made money, I’m not sure you should be encouraging anyone to invest and from speaking to friends who know a lot more about it than me. It would appear it is a far from easy way to make money

In Q4 alone Bitcoin is up 42%, this year Etherium is up over 500%. I personally wouldn't be taking any financial advice from anyone who manages to lose money in such a market.

By the way, to be super clear; I didn't encourage anyone to invest - I encouraged them to do some proper research.
JasonFowler1991

Postby oohahhPaulMillar » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:00 pm

JasonFowler1991 wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:

In Q4 alone Bitcoin is up 42%, this year Etherium is up over 500%. I personally wouldn't be taking any financial advice from anyone who manages to lose money in such a market.

By the way, to be super clear; I didn't encourage anyone to invest - I encouraged them to do some proper research.

To put that into some sort of perspective though. Even with a massive spike in its price recently Bitcoin is still down I think I’m right in saying about 10% over the last 3 years and until recently was showing an approximately 40% loss over the same 3 years. So it’s far from a way of making “easy money”

In the same period the Dow is up about 20% and Japanese nikkei up 10% so it’s all relative I suppose
oohahhPaulMillar

Postby Bluebina » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:10 pm

As I said, some people further up the chain who invested years ago would love to encourage people to jump on it now and increase the value of their share, while the people who jump on lose their money.
Bluebina

Postby JasonFowler1991 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:52 pm

Bluebina wrote:

As I said, some people further up the chain who invested years ago would love to encourage people to jump on it now and increase the value of their share, while the people who jump on lose their money.

An investment of 100GBP of Etherium in January 2020 would now be worth over 500GBP. It's not just those who invested early that are making profits. The only people who would be at a loss are those who joined during the bull run of 2017, which was followed by a major correction due to the FOMO. Anyone who was involved before, or after that period will mostly be in profit.

Wall Street and major companies (PayPal) are now on board too, which will see the price continue to rise. I am sure there will be corrections along the way though. Again, I am not encouraging anyone to buy but to do their own research.
JasonFowler1991

Postby Bluebina » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:57 pm

JasonFowler1991 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

An investment of 100GBP of Etherium in January 2020 would now be worth over 500GBP. It's not just those who invested early that are making profits. The only people who would be at a loss are those who joined during the bull run of 2017, which was followed by a major correction due to the FOMO. Anyone who was involved before, or after that period will mostly be in profit.

Wall Street and major companies (PayPal) are now on board too, which will see the price continue to rise. I am sure there will be corrections along the way though. Again, I am not encouraging anyone to buy but to do their own research.

Casino's and racecourses always have a few people who've had a good win, but generally are littered with losers.

I think one day there may be a currency that will work, maybe from someone like Paypal, but until that day it's just a form of gambling.
Bluebina

Postby JasonFowler1991 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:40 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
JasonFowler1991 wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:

To put that into some sort of perspective though. Even with a massive spike in its price recently Bitcoin is still down I think I’m right in saying about 10% over the last 3 years and until recently was showing an approximately 40% loss over the same 3 years. So it’s far from a way of making “easy money”

In the same period the Dow is up about 20% and Japanese nikkei up 10% so it’s all relative I suppose

You are right. If you bought at the all time high prices you would still be down. However, for those who dollar cost average, they would have picked up Bitcoin, or any other currencies, at cheaper prices along the way and making profits between 100-200%. Timing of purchase is really important.
JasonFowler1991

Postby JasonFowler1991 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:41 pm

Bluebina wrote:
JasonFowler1991 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Casino's and racecourses always have a few people who've had a good win, but generally are littered with losers.

I think one day there may be a currency that will work, maybe from someone like Paypal, but until that day it's just a form of gambling.

You can already purchase with Bitcoin and other currencies via Paypal. Currently only available in the US but it will become global next year. Link: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-54630283
JasonFowler1991

Postby JasonFowler1991 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:42 pm

Bluebina wrote:
JasonFowler1991 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Like I said, the only people who have lost are those who bought at all time highs and then sold at a lower price. Those who bought at all time high prices are probably inexperienced traders, and would have been burnt in any market, as the general rule of thumb is to sell high and buy low.
JasonFowler1991

Postby Bluebina » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:45 pm

JasonFowler1991 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
JasonFowler1991 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Like I said, the only people who have lost are those who bought at all time highs and then sold at a lower price. Those who bought at all time high prices are probably inexperienced traders, and would have been burnt in any market, as the general rule of thumb is to sell high and buy low.

What if they crash tomorrow?

It's not like a company that's still trading; it's not to my knowledge FCA protected or backed by any government is it?

Buy low sell high :laughing6: if only life was that easy :laughing6:
Bluebina

Postby Bluebina » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:50 pm

JasonFowler1991 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
JasonFowler1991 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

You can already purchase with Bitcoin and other currencies via Paypal. Currently only available in the US but it will become global next year. Link: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-54630283

THE ARTICLE YOU LINKED SAYS IT'S GAMBLING.

Penny stocks'
Cryptocurrencies have remained a niche payment method, partly down to the rapid change in prices they can experience compared with traditional state-backed currencies. That has made them popular among some types of investors.

PayPal said it was aiming "to increase consumer understanding and adoption of cryptocurrency".

"As part of this offering, PayPal will provide account holders with educational content to help them understand the cryptocurrency ecosystem," it said.

But David Gerard, author of Attack of the 50 Foot Blockchain and the forthcoming Libra Shrugged: How Facebook Tried to Take Over the Money, said PayPal was describing "a crypto day-trading market".

"I'm at a loss as to who the market is for PayPal as a crypto-exchange," he said.

He likened it to playing the stock market, but with Bitcoin - whose volatile and less well-regulated nature was like "gambling on penny stocks".

"Have a flutter, drop $10 on it, you'll learn things you wouldn't learn any other way - but you are gambling," he warned.

He said there were "a lot of big players who manipulate the price", and ordinary people risked losing their money.

"I don't expect much of a market for this beyond existing crypto holders... I'm baffled that PayPal would offer this, and it's not clear what they're trying to do here," he said.

"There must be someone at PayPal who is very interested in cryptocurrencies," he added.
Bluebina

Postby Einstein » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:09 pm

Bitcoin rise is now a supply and demand issue. PayPal will drive bitcoin use and storage up, there'll only every be 21m of them, about a third of those made are lost forever. Why is gold valuable, it's rare and it is expensive to mine. Same goes for bit coin, it is rare and expensive to mine/create, if you don't believe me then try to mine one.

And for those who say it is just digital, only around 7% of money held in banks is actually covered by physical cash... Think about that... If everyone went to the bank to get their money out only 7% would be there...... . . . .
Einstein

Postby JasonFowler1991 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:53 pm

Bluebina wrote:
JasonFowler1991 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
JasonFowler1991 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

THE ARTICLE YOU LINKED SAYS IT'S GAMBLING.

Penny stocks'
Cryptocurrencies have remained a niche payment method, partly down to the rapid change in prices they can experience compared with traditional state-backed currencies. That has made them popular among some types of investors.

PayPal said it was aiming "to increase consumer understanding and adoption of cryptocurrency".

"As part of this offering, PayPal will provide account holders with educational content to help them understand the cryptocurrency ecosystem," it said.

But David Gerard, author of Attack of the 50 Foot Blockchain and the forthcoming Libra Shrugged: How Facebook Tried to Take Over the Money, said PayPal was describing "a crypto day-trading market".

"I'm at a loss as to who the market is for PayPal as a crypto-exchange," he said.

He likened it to playing the stock market, but with Bitcoin - whose volatile and less well-regulated nature was like "gambling on penny stocks".

"Have a flutter, drop $10 on it, you'll learn things you wouldn't learn any other way - but you are gambling," he warned.

He said there were "a lot of big players who manipulate the price", and ordinary people risked losing their money.

"I don't expect much of a market for this beyond existing crypto holders... I'm baffled that PayPal would offer this, and it's not clear what they're trying to do here," he said.

"There must be someone at PayPal who is very interested in cryptocurrencies," he added.

Buying and selling any stock is gambling. What is your point? The CEO of PayPal was on national TV today, telling you the future. Its up to you whether or not you are open minded enough to listen.

https://twitter.com/binance/status/1330936061875380224
JasonFowler1991

Postby oohahhPaulMillar » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:25 pm

I’ve seen and heard it so many times, people saying it’s so easy to make money and then disappearing off the radar when the price crashes

All I do know is if I ordered a lager and a pastie in my local and tried to pay with a Bitcoin I would get a smack in the mouth and be banned for life
oohahhPaulMillar

Postby JasonFowler1991 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:44 pm

Over the last decade it has had a 9,000% price increase, it was the best performing asset of the 2010's and one of the best of 2020 too. I think that says it all. :occasion5:
JasonFowler1991

Postby Pembroke bluebird » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:44 am

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:I’ve seen and heard it so many times, people saying it’s so easy to make money and then disappearing off the radar when the price crashes

All I do know is if I ordered a lager and a pastie in my local and tried to pay with a Bitcoin I would get a smack in the mouth and be banned for life

Jesus your local sounds rough I’ll stay away from there mate :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pembroke bluebird

Next

Return to General Chat