MATCH THREAD: " CARDIFF CITY v NORWICH CITY " MATCH THREAD

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What will the result be of Cardiff City v Norwich City?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:40 pm

Cardiff City win
22%
Norwich City win
71%
Draw
7%

Total votes : 41

Postby worcester_ccfc » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:40 pm

CARDIFF CITY v NORWICH CITY
Saturday 16th January, 3pm
Sky Bet Championship
Cardiff City Stadium

Match to be played in front of no supporters, for information on how to watch the match on TV or to stream it - see below

How can I watch this match on TV?

This match is live on Cardiff City TV.

Cardiff City XI: Smithies; Bacuna, Nelson, Bennett, Bagan; Pack, Vaulks, Ralls; Wilson, Glatzel, Hoilett.

Subs: Phillips, Patten, Sang, Evans, Ojo, Murphy, Harris, Moore.

Norwich City XI: Barden; Aarons, Hanley, Gibson, Sorensen; McLean, Skipp; Buendia, Vrancic, Cantwell; Hugill.

Subs: McCracken, Omobamidele, Tettey, Dowell, Placheta, Hernandez, Omotoye.

14/01/2021

NEIL HARRIS:

Kieffer Moore, Morrison, Osei-Tutu, Cunningham, any available?

Jordi played 40 minutes for the 23s and didn’t quite get to the half-time we aimed for. We have got to see how he goes, an initial precaution on the back of that hamstring injury, in the next 48 hours.
Kieffer is back on the training pitch which is good news. We are hopeful he will be available for some part of the game.

Greg Cunningham has been back in the training ground, but maybe not in the group at the moment.

Sean Morrison, getting closer at the time, and we have been really lucky with him, but Saturday is probably too soon for him.

Harris

TEAM NEWS: :bluebird:

Jordi Osei-Tutu played in under 23's on Monday for 39 mins. :thumbright: :bluebird:

Sean Morrison and Aden Flint are all out of contention for this weekend

It is understood Sean Morrsion's ankle injury will keep him out of action this weekend, with the hope being he can return for QPR later this month on January 20 at best.

Aden flint got injured playing for Sheff Wednesday in the middle of December and has returned to Cardiff where he has undergone an operation.

The Bluebirds will be without captain Sean Morrison with an ankle injury.

Key trio Kieffer Moore (hamstring) and Lee Tomlin (groin) are also missing.

Sadly Sol Bamba is seriously ill.

Isaac Vassell is the long-term absentee.

About Norwich City

Norwich City Football Club (also known as The Canaries or City) is an English professional football club based in Norwich, Norfolk, that competes in the Championship, the second division of English football. The club was founded in 1902. Since 1935, Norwich have played their home games at Carrow Road and have a long-standing and fierce rivalry with East Anglian rivals Ipswich Town, with whom they have contested the East Anglian derby 134 times since 1902. The fans' song "On the Ball, City" is the oldest football chant in the world, written in 1890 and still sung today.

Norwich have won the League Cup twice, in 1962 and 1985. The club's highest ever league finish came in 1992–93 when they finished third in the Premier League.

The club participates in characteristic yellow and green kits and are nicknamed The Canaries after the history of breeding the birds in the area (said to be introduced around the 16th century by a group of European immigrant weavers in the area known as "The Strangers").

Previous Meeting 

We lost 2-0 against Norwich last month

Team News - Predicted Line-Ups

Cardiff City: Smithies, Bacuna, Nelson, Bennett, Bagan, Pack, Vaulks, Ralls, Wilson, Murphy, Glatzel

Norwich City: Krul, Aarons, Hanley, Gibson, Sorensen, Skipp, McLean, Vrancic, Cantwell, Buendia, Pukki

Form - Last Three Games

Nottingham Forest 1-0 Cardiff City
Wycombe Wanderers 2-1 Cardiff City
Cardiff City 2-3 Brentford

Norwich City 2-0 Coventry City
Norwich City 1-0 Barnsley
Norwich City 1-1 QPR

Match Odds

Cardiff City - 2/1
Norwich City - 13/10
Draw - 23/10

Predictions

Post your predictions below  :thumbright:
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: LATEST NEWS " CARDIFF CITY v NORWICH CITY " MATCH THREAD

Postby Plymuff Bloobird » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:43 pm

Only 1 result probable for me a Norwich win (3-0)
But come on Blooooobirds win another football match.
Plymuff Bloobird

Postby thomasblue » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:51 pm

Can't really see anything other than a loss by two clear goals

If we have to play Bennett and Nelson at centre back again we are in for a long 90 minutes
thomasblue

Postby Big Hill Blue » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:52 pm

thomasblue wrote:Can't really see anything other than a loss by two clear goals

If we have to play Bennett and Nelson at centre back again we are in for a long 90 minutes

Gonna go for 2 clear goals C'mon City
Big Hill Blue

Postby EastleighBlue » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:59 pm

One nil down within 10 minutes. Goal scored because we backed off defensively. We huff and puff chasing an equaliser and they pick off 0 v 2. Sound familiar? Our useless manager cant change this pattern because he cant motivate or coach this group to stop this happening. Pathetic really and sad to go into a game knowing you've lost before it even starts.
EastleighBlue

Re: TEAM NEWS: " CARDIFF CITY v NORWICH CITY " MATCH THREAD

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:33 am

TEAM NEWS: :bluebird:

Jordi Osei-Tutu playing in under 23's today.

Sean Morrison, Sol Bamba and Aden Flint are all out of contention for this weekend

It is understood Sean Morrsion's ankle injury will keep him out of action this weekend, with the hope being he can return for QPR later this month on January 20 at best.

Sol Bamba is currently sidelined with a back issue and will also be unavailable for the Norwich encounter this Saturday.

Aden flint got injured playing for Sheff Wednesday in the middle of December and has returned to Cardiff where he has undergone an operation.

The Bluebirds will be without captain Sean Morrison with an ankle injury.

Key trio Kieffer Moore (hamstring), Jordi Osei-Tutu and Lee Tomlin (groin) are also missing.

Isaac Vassell is the long-term absentee.
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Wade Wilson86 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:25 am

Listening to the Feast of Football.

Kind of backs up what I’ve been saying for months. We don’t have a good squad. We’ve got some good players. But the squad is shocking. This has been proven in that now players are injured there is no cover.

As bad a job Harris is doing what would Pearson, Bellamy or Pulis do?? Inject some of that new manager enthusiasm into the players and go on a good run. What happens when that run ends???? Same old squad of players under performing.

We need a Dave Jones. Someone who wants a footballing style and commits to it.
Wade Wilson86

Postby Pulisnewport » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:24 pm

Sorry to say;

City 0-4
Pulisnewport

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:41 pm

Jordi Osei-Tutu playing in under 23's today.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Escott1927 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:22 pm

3 or 4 nil loss here. Hope im wrong though! Without Moore and morrison, I can't see where we'll score from.

Last minute bit of magic from wilson for 1-0 (1-1) would be nice!!!
Escott1927

Postby Always City » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:55 pm

Harris shock Cardiff win :ayatollah:
Always City

Postby Ponty Bluebird » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:23 pm

Escott1927 wrote:3 or 4 nil loss here. Hope im wrong though! Without Moore and morrison, I can't see where we'll score from.

I really hope you’re right, I’ll bite your hand off for a 1-0 win right now :ayatollah:
Ponty Bluebird

Postby Always City » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:15 am

Escott1927 wrote:3 or 4 nil loss here. Hope im wrong though! Without Moore and morrison, I can't see where we'll score from.

I see a shock City win :bluebird: :bluebird:
Always City

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:20 am

" KIEFFER MOORE / TOMLIN / OSEI-TuTu / MORRISON / CUNNINGHAM / FLINT & VASSELL "

Monday 10th January 2021

Moore, Tomlin, Osei-Tutu - the expected return dates of Cardiff City's seven injured stars ahead of Norwich City clash

This season's packed fixture schedule is beginning to take its toll on Cardiff City's squad, with a number of key players out: here is the expected return date of each of them

Cardiff City are hopeful Sean Morrison will return from injury this weekend ???? (prob QPR game)

The hectic fixture schedule in the Championship was always going to hit squads hard and that was the case with the Bluebirds around the festive period.

City have eight senior players currently out injured during a crucial period for Neil Harris and his men, who face top-of-the-table Norwich City at home this weekend.

And Cardiff, who sit in 15th place in the league, desperately need to get back to winning ways, having lost five of their last six matches in all competitions.

' Jordi Osei-Tutu?? ' (played 39mins on Monday U23's)

Jordi Osei-Tutu's injury might actually be the most significant of all, because it has arguably weakened two positions.

And that is no slight on Leandro Bacuna, who has tried his utmost to fill in during the Arsenal loanee's absence.

But with Osei-Tutu being the only recognised right-back, the move to shift Bacuna into that void means he is unable to affect the game in midfield, where he was so good last season.

Osei-Tutu's return seemed imminent and he was being lined up for a return to action against the Canaries this weekend. In fact, he was selected for the Bluebirds' under-23s to face Charlton Athletic on Monday afternoon to get some minutes into his legs.

However, the right-back was hauled off just 39 minutes into the game, throwing his progression into doubt once again.

It might just be a precaution. However, it might be that the youngster has felt a tweak on that hamstring.

Expected return : This weekend, if the substitution was only a precaution. Otherwise unknown??

' Lee Tomlin '

The club trying to manage his protracted groin injury at the beginning of the campaign, they bit the bullet in November and all parties decided it was best he went under the knife.

Tomlin is recovering from groin surgery and has progressed in recent weeks, with the playmaker now out on the grass running.

"Lee Tomlin is out running, hopefully things are moving in the right direction," Harris said after the Nottingham Forest defeat last weekend.

Expected return : Mid-February.

' Sean Morrison '

Thankfully, his ankle ligament problem was not as bad as originally thought.

There is some hope that the Bluebirds skipper will be back for this weekend's clash with Norwich, however if he doesn't make the cut then QPR the week after is a realistic target.

Expected return : Best-case scenario Norwich City, otherwise QPR the week after. :bluebird:

' Greg Cunningham '

The Republic of Ireland international was in line to start at centre-back against Forest in the weekend, however illness got the better of him.

Cunningham is expected back in training this week and there is seemingly no reason why he shouldn't be available this weekend.

Expected return : Norwich City. :bluebird:

' Kieffer Moore ' ??

The Wales striker has been the signing of the season for Cardiff City.

Moore has been a bona fide success so far this term, having netted eight goals, and was central to the Bluebirds' excellent form at the beginning of December. It is no coincidence we have seen a drop off in form during his absence.

News of his torn hamstring came as a hammer blow last month, given his importance to this Cardiff side and how the play; his all-round game is so important and he is difficult to replace.

The aim was always to get Moore back for the clash with Norwich and it looks as though he is right on track. Whether he is risked from the off, though, is yet to be seen. It is likely we could see him make an impact off the bench.

When asked last weekend if Moore would be back fit for Norwich, Harris said he "truly hopes so".

Expected return : Norwich City???

' Aden Flint '

He has undertaken his rehab work with the Bluebirds and is thought to be progressing extremely well.

However, given the severity of the injury and the subsequent surgery he underwent, his absence is significantly longer.

He is back training in some capacity, but it is expected to be some weeks before he is in contention for first-team action.

Expected return: Early February.

' Isaac Vassell '

The striker has not played a competitive match for well over a year now and still looks nowhere near close to doing that.

What the long-term future holds for Vassell is, quite frankly, anyone's guess. But his story over the last few years is a really sad one.

Let's hope he can find some fitness, a bit of luck and, whether it's in the Welsh capital or not, a future in the game. Because, at 27, it is a real shame that his career is heading in this direction.

Expected return : Unknown.
Attachments
0_Neil-Harris-press-conference-live.jpg
0_Neil-Harris-press-conference-live.jpg (74.67 KiB) Viewed 5633 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:44 pm

NEIL HARRIS:

Kieffer Moore, Morrison, Osei-Tutu, Cunningham, any available?

Jordi played 40 minutes for the 23s and didn’t quite get to the half-time we aimed for. We have got to see how he goes, an initial precaution on the back of that hamstring injury, in the next 48 hours.
Kieffer is back on the training pitch which is good news. We are hopeful he will be available for some part of the game.

Greg Cunningham has been back in the training ground, but maybe not in the group at the moment.

Sean Morrison, getting closer at the time, and we have been really lucky with him, but Saturday is probably too soon for him.

Harris
Attachments
0_GettyImages-1280893975jpgris-2.jpg
0_GettyImages-1280893975jpgris-2.jpg (78.34 KiB) Viewed 5051 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:45 pm

Lift to have Kieffer back?

Huge for us. Last season Lee Tomlin was the influential player with goals and assists and we have missed him.

Then Kieffer came in and hit the ground running and he’s been a big part of adapting our style of play to get results.

Ultimately, just having fit players from now until the end of the season is vital.

Being able to leave players out when they are not performing or at 60 or 70 minutes, we have not had those opportunities.

We left Aden Flint out of that as well, but he is a player who will play a big part in the second half of the season.

Harris
Attachments
0_harri1-2.jpg
0_harri1-2.jpg (94.09 KiB) Viewed 5048 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:05 pm

NEIL HARRIS

More on Norwich

Yeah. It’s not a must-win game, we are not anywhere near that position.

We have come away from being very close to it to where we are now.

To get back there we have to put a consistent run of results together. Whether that’s fit players or new signings, that’s vitally important.

But then, we have still got a group of players who are good enough to compete at the top of this division.

We are a side capable of putting a run together. We showed that last season and this season as well.

This weekend is going to be tough but it’s a game we can win. Then we have a run of games where we can build performances and results.

Harris
Attachments
newFile.jpg
newFile.jpg (51.55 KiB) Viewed 5028 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby TopCat CCFC » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:29 pm

The major footballing chiefs in this country have released a joint statement expressing their confidence that the season will be completed fully and on time despite the concerns over Covid-19 spreading amongst clubs.

The continuation of Norwich City's Championship campaign, along with the other professional divisions, has been the subject of debate after some clubs were hit with major coronavirus outbreaks.

The Canaries themselves reported three positive cases last week, including goalkeeper Tim Krul and striker Adam Idah, who both tested positive alongside an unnamed staff member.

Other clubs, such as Derby County and Sheffield Wednesday, have been hit more severely, prompting some coaches like Ipswich Town's Paul Lambert and Newcastle United manager Steve Bruce to call for the game to be paused due to a spike in Covid cases driven by the new variant.

The Premier League, EFL, FA and the Women's Super League have released a joint statement stating that clubs have been reminded to enforce social distancing restrictions to ensure the safety of their players.

Bi-weekly testing has been brought in by the EFL in an attempt to control the surging cases being recorded around the country. Despite those fears, football's chiefs are confident the season can be completed on time.
TopCat CCFC

Postby TopCat CCFC » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:59 pm

Cardiff City boss Neil Harris is warning the Bluebirds they have to up the ante when they face table topping Norwich City this time around in the Championship.

Daniel Farke's squad cruised to a 2-0 Carrow Road win a week before Christmas, and Harris is in no doubt they will take all the stopping in the promotion race.

"Best team in the league," he said, with Cardiff needing a win after slipping off the pace in the play-off tussle. "They were pre-season favourites to go back up and they have stuck to that tag. We got undone by two super finishes (last time), but we shot ourselves in the foot in the middle of the park.

"We have got to be better than we were at Norwich.

"We turned the ball over too easily and caused ourselves problems and we have got to be better than that.

"It’s not a must-win game, we are not anywhere near that position. We have come away from being very close to it to where we are now.

"To get back there we have to put a consistent run of results together. Whether that’s fit players or new signings, that’s vitally important. But then, we have still got a group of players who are good enough to compete at the top of this division.
TopCat CCFC

Postby Danny Says » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:48 pm

If Bennett has to play at CB at least it’ll hopefully give Bagan a deserved place rather than Cunningham
Danny Says

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:32 pm

Tomorrow’s match day programme :bluebird:
Attachments
59FAFCB6-8141-49B2-889D-1A9B458D8CD8.jpeg
59FAFCB6-8141-49B2-889D-1A9B458D8CD8.jpeg (147.68 KiB) Viewed 4522 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:56 am

What are the odds?

Cardiff win: 21/10

Draw: 12/5

Norwich win: 5/4

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:46 am

What's the team news

:bluebird: ' CARDIFF CITY ' :bluebird:

Cardiff City could welcome back key duo Kieffer Moore and Jordi Osei-Tutu this weekend in a huge boost for the Bluebirds.

The pair have both been out with hamstring injuries and have left gaping holes in this City side.

However, Moore looks set to play some part, even if that is off the bench, against the Canaries, while Osei-Tutu, who was hauled off as a precaution in an under-23s game on Monday this week, is also touch and go.

Sean Morrison, who is out with an ankle injury, will likely be available for the QPR game next week.

Aden Flint is still recovering from his hamstring surgery, while Greg Cunningham doesn't appear to have recovered fully from his illness either, leaving his inclusion in doubt.

Sol Bamba will also miss this weekend's clash following the devastating announcement of his cancer diagnosis.

As ever, Isaac Vassell is the long-term absentee, while Gavin Whyte sealed a loan move to Hull City this week.

' NORWICH CITY '

Norwich are still without goalkeeper Tim Krul, who recently tested positive for coronavirus, so Daniel Barden is likely to deputise.

Full-back Bali Mumba and defender Xavi Quintilla have also both tested positive for coronavirus, while Lukas Rupp and Josh Martin have shown Covid symptoms and will miss the game.

Adam Idah will also miss the clash owing to a long-term knee injury. Marco Stiepermann will also miss the trip to south Wales.

Teemu Pukki, Max Aarons and Oliver Skipp were all left out of the side for the FA Cup clash with Coventry but will likely be involved on Saturday afternoon.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby thomasblue » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:10 pm

Apparently Flint could be playing centre back with Nelson not Bennett as he is back in training.
Hopefully he hasn't been rushed back too soon
thomasblue

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:24 pm

Cardiff City manager Neil Harris:

" This is not a must win game, we have many more games to come."

"[Norwich are the] Best team in the league. Without losing anyone in the summer it made them pre-season favourites to go back up and they have stuck to that tag.

"We got undone by two super finishes (last time), but we shot ourselves in the foot in the middle of the park.

"We turned the ball over too easily and caused ourselves problems and we have got to be better than that."

Norwich City boss Daniel Farke:

"Cardiff are a side who know how they pay. Kieffer Moore could come back in, they have an unbelievably experienced coach. Right now, they're not in the position they want to be but that have potential to win five or six in a row.

It will be a difficult away game and they'll be highly-motivated coming up against the league leaders at home."
Attachments
0_escenic.jpg
0_escenic.jpg (48.98 KiB) Viewed 3478 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:25 pm

thomasblue wrote:Apparently Flint could be playing centre back with Nelson not Bennett as he is back in training.
Hopefully he hasn't been rushed back too soon

Hmmm, interesting cheers Thomas.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:30 pm

Match facts

Cardiff last hosted Norwich for a league match back in December 2017, winning 3-1 under Neil Warnock during their promotion-winning campaign in 2017/18.

Norwich City have won five of their last seven league matches against Cardiff City (L2).

Cardiff City haven’t lost four consecutive Championship matches since January 2018.

Norwich City have an identical record at the halfway stage of the Championship season (P23 W14 D5 L4) as they had in 2018/19, when they went on to win the Championship title.

Norwich City’s last 12 away Championship have been scored by either Teemu Pukki (eight) or Emiliano Buendía (four).

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:31 pm

Cardiff City haven’t lost four consecutive Championship matches since January 2018.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby skidemin » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:33 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Cardiff City manager Neil Harris:

" This is not a must win game, we have many more games to come."

"[Norwich are the] Best team in the league. Without losing anyone in the summer it made them pre-season favourites to go back up and they have stuck to that tag.

"We got undone by two super finishes (last time), but we shot ourselves in the foot in the middle of the park.

"We turned the ball over too easily and caused ourselves problems and we have got to be better than that."

Norwich City boss Daniel Farke:

"Cardiff are a side who know how they pay. Kieffer Moore could come back in, they have an unbelievably experienced coach. Right now, they're not in the position they want to be but that have potential to win five or six in a row.

It will be a difficult away game and they'll be highly-motivated coming up against the league leaders at home."

we have an...unbelievably experienced coach.... :shock:
skidemin

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:02 pm

Alex Smithies & Junior Hoilett come in. Kieffer Moore on the subs bench.
Attachments
4F3BB3C6-388F-441E-BEB1-849977BA7075.jpeg
4F3BB3C6-388F-441E-BEB1-849977BA7075.jpeg (303.01 KiB) Viewed 3159 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Next

Return to General Chat