Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' New Contract talks already started with 3 City Players '

Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:58 am

Cardiff City begin contract talks with three stars whose deals expire this season

The Bluebirds are yet to do any business in January but will hope to tie three players down to new contracts in the coming weeks

The Cardiff City Committee( Tan / Dalman & Choo) have already decided to start negotiating new contracts with Mark Harris, Joe Bennett & Junior Hoilett.

The Bluebirds have seven players whose deals are currently set to expire at the end of the season, but the club have sought to tie three of them down once again.

It is understood the club are in advanced talks with academy product Mark Harris, who has enjoyed a breakthrough season with the senior side this term.

Harris was handed a one-year deal at the beginning of the season and had to bide his time before making an instant impact in the 4-0 drubbing of Luton Town in November, when he scored his first goal for the club.

Harris struck up a lovely partnership with summer signing Kieffer Moore, dovetailing nicely with runs off the defenders' shoulders and pressing busily from the front.

' JUNIOR HOILETT / JOE BENNETT '

Discussions are also under way with experienced duo Junior Hoilett and Joe Bennett.

Both Hoilett and Bennett are rated highly by Neil Harris and his staff and the club are hopeful they will agree to new deals.

While the club have adopted a policy of trying to drive down the average age of the squad since Harris took charge in November 2019, there is an appreciation that the likes of Hoilett and Bennett add invaluable experience and still have a big role to play moving forward.

The pair of 30-year-olds are also among the few still left in this Bluebirds squad who know what it takes to get this team promoted to the Premier League, having been central to achieving that feat under Neil Warnock in the 2017/18 season.

Bennett is undoubtedly Harris' first-choice left-back and is one of the first names on the manager's team sheet. In fact, only Curtis Nelson and Leandro Bacuna have featured more than the 53 times Bennett has under the Bluebirds boss.

Junior Hoilett is highly thought of by the Committee, however, while some have theorised about Hoilett's potential departure, with rumours of a switch to the MLS not going away, the club are understood to be very keen in tying the Canadian down to a new deal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' New Contract talks already started with 3 City Players

Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:08 am

GOD HELP US

Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:39 am

Honestly I think the 3 of them need to be moved on if we are wanting to really improve.

Hoilett getting older now, probably puts a good shift in every now and then.

Bennett has been a good servant to the club but imo has become complacent and really needs very good competition or a change of club completely. If we want to progress, we've got to re-vamp completely.

Potentially keep Harris but he's been here a long time now and only just getting game time.

All comes down to how much money there is to spend in the summer which seems very little.

Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:42 am

kimble wrote:GOD HELP US

RIP it up and start again.
Buy younger players. Look at the, way Newport play. Full of verve compare that to our lot.
The only player I would offer a contact to is Sol.

Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:52 am

Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:Honestly I think the 3 of them need to be moved on if we are wanting to really improve.

Hoilett getting older now, probably puts a good shift in every now and then.

Bennett has been a good servant to the club but imo has become complacent and really needs very good competition or a change of club completely. If we want to progress, we've got to re-vamp completely.

Potentially keep Harris but he's been here a long time now and only just getting game time.

All comes down to how much money there is to spend in the summer which seems very little.

All three of these players could fit into a pass and move style of football so should be given new deals.

Would cost a bit to replace them.

Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:15 pm

mark harris - oh god help us

Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:19 pm

arri potta wrote:mark harris - oh god help us

I agree. I’d only keep Bennett out of those 3 tbh.

Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:42 pm

If Bennet re signs then it looks like bye bye Cunningham unless he fills in at centre half well

Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:51 pm

warnocksbarmyarmy wrote:If Bennet re signs then it looks like bye bye Cunningham unless he fills in at centre half well

Cunningham has been injured quite a bit.

Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:10 pm

Doyley1927 wrote:
warnocksbarmyarmy wrote:If Bennet re signs then it looks like bye bye Cunningham unless he fills in at centre half well

Cunningham has been injured quite a bit.

and shit!

Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:22 pm

Harris should get a new deal will be low wages do no risk. Bennett and hoilett should be let go unless on less half of what the get in wages now

Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:47 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Possibly want to keep Hoillet in contract in case he wants a move, but honestly, were Harris not a product of the Academy, you would think he was a league 1 player at best. I'd be seeing what could be done to keep NML - assuming he hasn't been doing anything that was too odious..

Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:22 am

A Quiet Monkfish wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Possibly want to keep Hoillet in contract in case he wants a move, but honestly, were Harris not a product of the Academy, you would think he was a league 1 player at best. I'd be seeing what could be done to keep NML - assuming he hasn't been doing anything that was too odious..

Agree re Harris. From what I'm hearing the door may well be still ajar for NML...possibly next season though.

Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:32 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
A Quiet Monkfish wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Agree re Harris. From what I'm hearing the door may well be still ajar for NML...possibly next season though.

Hopefully. One with real genuine pace. The Club's moral conscience went into overdrive with Bellamy - hope they aren't over-reacting with NML..