Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

UPDATED: (Photos) WHO STARTED THE AYATOLLAH CHANT?

Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:15 pm

Completely forgot

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

UPDATED:

A group of Cwmbran City fans had been in Iran and the Ayatollah had died and everyone was doing it, banging their heads because everyone was in mourning, about 20 of them started doing it away at Peterborough, because Cardiff were crap and always in mourning that’s how we felt :lol: , sitting down on the terraces at first , it took off very quickly :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

One of the main lads from Cwmbran nickname was King Tut :lol: :ayatollah:

Late 1980’s Lincoln & Peterborough away City fans started the :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

1987 Lincoln & Peterborough away City fans started the :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Then the Ayatollah was later sung at local gigs in Wales and from there it spread through Wales :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Who started the ayatollah chant

Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:13 pm

Dunno for sure, but it may have had something to do with Eric the Red.. didn’t they used to dress up at away games in the Sheik garb, late 80s etc

Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:31 pm

corky wrote:Completely forgot

Great question and would love to know (ahem, be reminded) :clap: :laughing6:

Re: WHO STARTED THE AYATOLLAH CHANT?

Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:56 pm

Phil Stead from Bridgend I believe.
The last I heard of him was that he was living in Bangor.

Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:15 pm

I heard it was something to do with a Welsh language punk band and something the singer said on stage about City that kept missing so the fans kept raising there hands then dropping them and it looked like the ayatollah's funeral.

Dunno if its true but a good story

Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:51 pm

ealing_ayatollah wrote:I heard it was something to do with a Welsh language punk band and something the singer said on stage about City that kept missing so the fans kept raising there hands then dropping them and it looked like the ayatollah's funeral.

Dunno if its true but a good story

kept missing what ?

Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:36 pm

Peterborough away last 80s where it was taught by 2 lads who stood in front of us away supporters giving a demonstration. It was an instant hit and at FT a few young lads ran onto the pitch doing the Ayatollah running around the goal in front of us just like the red indian's do a war dance around a fire.

Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:12 pm

I thought it was during the Eddie May days when we started taking off.

Wasn’t there an Iranian funeral on the TV at the game at Ninian and the head bashing to denote grief was occurring and started going from there?

Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:17 pm

I thought it was Lincoln away 1990s

Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:54 pm

maccydee wrote:I thought it was during the Eddie May days when we started taking off.

Wasn’t there an Iranian funeral on the TV at the game at Ninian and the head bashing to denote grief was occurring and started going from there?

It came from what happened in Iran - Don't know who started it off over here :ayatollah:

Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:05 am

maccydee wrote:I thought it was during the Eddie May days when we started taking off.

ayatollah khomeinis funeral was all over our news... thousands and thousands of Iranians hitting their heads...which is why its called the ayatollah... i dont think it was on TV at NP...or at what game it started ..Bakeds story of how it started with us is the one ive read most often but i thought the venue was Lincoln too.. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ay ... &FORM=VIRE

Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:51 am

Port Talbot 10,48 wrote:Phil Stead from Bridgend I believe.
The last I heard of him was that he was living in Bangor.

Def not.

I remember it all well.

I even have pictures of the day it started.

A group of Cwmbran City fans had been in Iran and the Ayatollah had died and everyone was doing it, banging their heads because everyone was in mourning, about 20 of them started doing it away at Peterborough, because Cardiff were crap and always in mourning that’s how we felt :lol: , sitting down on the terraces at first , it took off very quickly :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

One of the main lads from Cwmbran nickname was King Tut :lol: :ayatollah:

1987 Lincoln & Peterborough away City fans started the :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/ :ayatollah:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:52 am

TopCat CCFC wrote:

It came from what happened in Iran - Don't know who started it off over here :ayatollah:

Correct Tony :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:56 am

Bakedalasker wrote:Peterborough away last 80s where it was taught by 2 lads who stood in front of us away supporters giving a demonstration. It was an instant hit and at FT a few young lads ran onto the pitch doing the Ayatollah running around the goal in front of us just like the red indian's do a war dance around a fire.

Correct Ian, Posh away :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

My CCFC picture book has all the photos in it :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:54 am

I thought originally it came from a punk gig shortly before the Peterborough game,some a city fans who went to the gig then started it off in the game.
Anyway quite unique and should def keep going.

Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:57 am

Wait till BLM find out! Oh boy...

Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:58 am

There is where it came from City fans from Cwmbran who had been to Iran and they had seen the Ayatollah done through mourning and at Peterborough away dressed up like him and from there it took off :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Late 1980’s Lincoln & Peterborough away City fans started the :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:58 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:Peterborough away last 80s where it was taught by 2 lads who stood in front of us away supporters giving a demonstration. It was an instant hit and at FT a few young lads ran onto the pitch doing the Ayatollah running around the goal in front of us just like the red indian's do a war dance around a fire.

Annis would love to see them pics, post them on here please!

Also, why were the 2 lads "teaching it" though?

Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:06 am

nubbsy wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Annis would love to see them pics, post them on here please!

Also, why were the 2 lads "teaching it" though?

I have about 20 photos Jack.

They were doing it because after the two of them had been to Iran and everyone was in mourning and doing the ayatollah for days, they thought well Cardiff have been in mourning/ rubbish :lol: for years and at Peterborough away 20 of them went there and got it going with the rest of the Cardiff fans, that’s the truth as I know them well and they told me that day all about it and here are just some of the pictures :thumbright: :bluebird: :ayatollah:

Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:12 am

:ayatollah:

Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:13 am

:ayatollah:

Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:15 am

Sven wrote:
corky wrote:Completely forgot

Great question and would love to know (ahem, be reminded) :clap: :laughing6:

:lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: UPDATED: (Photos) WHO STARTED THE AYATOLLAH CHANT?

Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:30 am

Punk band is Uthant, Rhys Boore lead singer.. runs Gol at Leckwith now. Dont know what theyre on about, but they were great live..

Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:32 am

rumpo kid wrote:Punk band is Uthant, Rhys Boore lead singer.. runs Gol at Leckwith now. Dont know what theyre on about, but they were great live..

Mate, i have watched them :thumbright: they as you say had nothing to do with :ayatollah:

Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:33 am

skiprat wrote:I thought it was Lincoln away 1990s

It was at Peterborough mate, way before the 90's, just became big during Eddie Mays days.

Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:37 am

theclaw wrote:I thought originally it came from a punk gig shortly before the Peterborough game,some a city fans who went to the gig then started it off in the game.

Maybe the City fans at the gig where King Tut and his Cwmbran boys? ;) :idea:

Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:59 am

The story I was always told was that it was the morning after the Aytalloh's funeral, and we were getting absolutely battered by someone. Some fans started doing the mourning gesture, and some police/steward told them to stop. Fans seen this then everyone started doing it. Not sure how true that is though :lol:

Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:08 am

Robbiebluebird wrote:The story I was always told was that it was the morning after the Aytalloh's funeral, and we were getting absolutely battered by someone. Some fans started doing the mourning gesture, and some police/steward told them to stop. Fans seen this then everyone started doing it. Not sure how true that is though :lol:

It was the morning after the Ayatollah’s funeral, but these lads King Tut( :lol: ) were actually in Iran and for days the people were doing it and they decided City fans should do it and they planned it for our away games about 20 of them at first and Peterborough away took off big time :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

We were always shit and our fans were always sad :lol: :ayatollah:

Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:20 am

theclaw wrote:I thought originally it came from a punk gig shortly before the Peterborough game,some a city fans who went to the gig then started it off in the game.

They def did it at their gig as well :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:30 am

What on earth were a load of city fans from Cwmbran doing in Iran at the time of the revolution? Did they start invading the American embassy and the Iranians followed suit. These Cwmbran fans have a lot to answer for.